Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weightlifting gym in Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if there is a gym that is equipped with olympic bars and platforms for weightlifting that is open to the general public in Espace Killy? I see the sports centre in Le Lac has squat racks but no platform, nor is it open to public either. I am looking to do a season training for BASI L3 there and I'd like to carry on weightlifting training during my time off the snow. Crossfit gyms would work too but don't know if there are any as per my Google search.

I am also looking at Morzine as there are two gyms with weightlifting setup, but currently edging towards EK for the terrain.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@garricw, In what way is Le Lagon not open to the public?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs wrote:
@garricw, In what way is Le Lagon not open to the public?

It's on the Tignes' website https://en.tignes.net/activities/tignespace-en when scrolled down to the 'WEIGHT TRAINING' section, it states "A 115m² gym equipped for general physical training and free-weights training, exclusively reserved for high-level team training in Tignes."

So I thought it wasn't open to the public but only reserved for the high level teams. I hope it is open for everyone to use, at a cost of course.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@garricw, The Tignespace and Le Lagon are separate. I agree that it states that the gym in the Tignespace is only open to top level teams, the gym in Le Lagon is open to the public. From memory the one in Le Lagon has free weights.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
@garricw, The Tignespace and Le Lagon are separate. I agree that it states that the gym in the Tignespace is only open to top level teams, the gym in Le Lagon is open to the public. From memory the one in Le Lagon has free weights.

Ah right, thanks for the info, didn't really click they were separate. That's a shame, I'll keep on looking then, thanks!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@garricw, What is a shame? The gym in Le Lagon seems fine to me, have done many evening sessions in there after training on the glacier.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs wrote:
@garricw, What is a shame? The gym in Le Lagon seems fine to me, have done many evening sessions in there after training on the glacier.

I would like to get on the platform to do some oly lifting (snatches and clean&jerk). Although there is a bar in the Le Lagon gym, I wouldn't want to do that in the Le Lagon gym which isn't set up for it (there is not enough space, they are not bumper plates etc.). It would not be fair to the others either as they will not be expecting anyone weightlifting where it is not properly set up for.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Clearly there is a lot more to lifting heavy weights than meets the eye Shocked

@garricw, Might be worth dropping Tignes Development an e mail and explain who what and why, they may accommodate you.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I really enjoy Olympic lifting.

Dont think I could sufficiently recover to ski if I had lifted though.

You must be fit.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve trained in the Le Lagon gym. An excellent facility by most standards. They are pretty Nazi on clean shoes though. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway To do the olympic lifts safely involves lots of dropping the weights on the floor.

Decent flooring and proper weights are needed to prevent damage and hopefully upsetting people.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, Thanks, I will give them a shout

@Love Balloon, Just trying to push it a bit, especially when the snowy day count is getting less every year.

You're right, it's the flooring and not upsetting people. But primarily in a gym where oly lifts aren't commonly practised, the gym users are unlikely to be accustomed to having people dropping weights, or have the awareness to not walk close to you during a lift which is rather dangerous to both themselves and me. Whereas, if there is a designated area for oly lifts, the people in the same area should be more aware of the etiquette and how to use the equipment properly, so we'll be on level ground. And then there are the differences in equipment but this is not the forum for that.

Anyway, thanks for all your replies, I will get in touch with some clubs/Tignes Development for further info.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@garricw, I've no idea if there's any mileage in this but it might be worth contacting Apex 2100. They are a state of the art training facility for Alpine sports. There is public access to some aspects of the facility. Drop 'em a line or give 'em a call. www.apex2100.org
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy