Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2023 ski all season for free

Poster: A snowHead
You know the score.

Ski all day, party all night.

You cook sometimes, and clean up a fair bit, designated driver sometimes

Trustworthy volunteers can pm me
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does the role come with a supply if popcorn because I think I'm about to need some.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Has he got a cellar with all the previous slaves in it?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Has this ever worked? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zzzzz
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
adithorp wrote:
Does the role come with a supply if popcorn because I think I'm about to need some.

I'm nipping to the shop for some, I'll grab you a bag
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bit late with the seasonal troll. Anyone any goodand with the necessary visas is likely to have made plans already.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Still never got this yearly post. Don’t know if it’s genuine, a wind up, or admin just having a yearly laugh to see who bites Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m getting closer to being able to apply ( well, financially, if not the cooking bit Toofy Grin )

Good luck @nixmap Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the community seems skeptical:)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nixmap wrote:
You know the score.

Ski all day, party all night.

You cook sometimes, and clean up a fair bit, designated driver sometimes

Trustworthy volunteers can pm me

sounds like a wedding proposal. Tried russian brides?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gored, Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's probably the first time gored has seen this.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:

I’m always mildly surprised that previous unpaid workers haven’t endorsed this “opportunity” (or slated it)….maybe you’re right. Or maybe there’s a water tight confidentiality agreement. One mildly wonders why, if that’s the case…
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Cacciatore, it is certainly an odd advert, I wonder exactly what he's asking for really. It is not very appealing.

His original TGR post was more informative. Maybe he doesn't need to bother saying any more these days?

Quote:
Whats the deal?. Nothings ever for free.

True, but if you Like the idea of skiing the Swiss Alps. You might find this interesting.

If you ve looked at the ads for working Europe. you'll figure out you wont get much skiing done.

This is something different.

Our deal is this , work for 2.5 days a week play the rest its, that simple.

We are a british family of 4 living in switzerland, we have a private luxury chalet that we use on the weekends and swiss school holidays.

We would like to find a chalet helper/ chalet couple to look after it (and us) for the winter season, not just as house keepers but people who love to ski as well.

What that means is you work on weekends then get to ski or do your own thing for the other 5 days of the week of the week.

Typically we would arrive most weekends on a friday night, and leave Sunday evening. We would expect you to do regular household chores, cooking, cleaning, occasional child minding and pre grommit teaching, and other helpful activities ensuring our stress free weekend. In return you get a whole week to do what you like. (Ski).

Occasionally we may have house guests, and school holidays mean we would stay for longer periods which is an extra work load, but not a disaster.

The chalet is in a well known resort in central Switzerland. Local Skiing (70 km sq) is literaly 50 yards from your door. Other famous ski areas such as Engleberg, Wengen, Grindlewald, Murren , Gstaad, Andermatt,Adelboden are within easy reach.

Accomodation is inside the chalet in a fully segregated 2.5 room appartment.
and at your disposal . During the week of course you can use the full facilities of this luxury chalet.

We like to hear from genuine applicants preferably a couple, naturally you should be capable of doing all tasks above without difficulty, or attitude.
What you do in your own time up to you of course,

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 24-10-22 10:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Considering how many wind-up merchants populate the forum I’m surprised no-one has expressed a (fake) interest, strung it along for a bit and then reported back on what the story is.
snow report
@nixmap,
Try posting here:-
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/forums/europe.55/
latest report
I can't quite envisage a ski resort of 70 square km; they're not usually measured in that way.
ski holidays
@pam w, 27 square miles and a dozen or so rectangular viennetta blocks. Does that help? Laughing
latest report
Quote:

I can't quite envisage a ski resort of 70 square km; they're not usually measured in that way.

American resorts often measure their area, since they have well defined boundaries, and so just refer to the total skiable area within the boundaries as it's all patrolled (even if not groomed or marked). Never seen a European resort refer to an area of piste though.
snow report
zaphod424 wrote:
Never seen a European resort refer to an area of piste though.

I spent 30 seconds looking and found this

https://www.valdisere.fr/mon-village/decouvrir-le-village/bienvenue-a-val-disere/

Quote:
L’espace Val d'Isère-Tignes en chiffres :

Domaine skiable situé sur les communes de Val d’Isère & Tignes.
10 000 hectares de pistes balisées.
2 glaciers : le Pissaillas (Val d’Isère) et la Grande Motte (Tignes)
snow report
Quote:

10 000 hectares de pistes balisées

But that's the area of the pistes, not the area of the entire mountainside including public toilets and roads.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

10 000 hectares de pistes balisées

But that's the area of the pistes, not the area of the entire mountainside including public toilets and roads.

Ok I see.
snow report
Timberwolf wrote:
I’m getting closer to being able to apply ( well, financially, if not the cooking bit Toofy Grin )

Good luck @nixmap Very Happy

Thanks, looking at the less than kind replies so far, looks like I will need it
snow report
Cacciatore wrote:
davidof wrote:

I’m always mildly surprised that previous unpaid workers haven’t endorsed this “opportunity” (or slated it)….maybe you’re right. Or maybe there’s a water tight confidentiality agreement. One mildly wonders why, if that’s the case…

There have been, short posts from volunteers, both here and TGR; however, they were missed amongst all the noise.
Mostly people understand that it is not in our shared interests to open themselves up to questions on a forum with a crowd like this one.
snow conditions
skithesteelstealtheski wrote:
the community seems skeptical:)

Amongst other, less affable, adjectives you could easily apply.
snow conditions
nixmap wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
davidof wrote:

There have been, short posts from volunteers, both here and TGR; however, they were missed amongst all the noise.
Mostly people understand that it is not in our shared interests to open themselves up to questions on a forum with a crowd like this one.

So rather than linking them you prefer to wrap it up as a riddle in an enigma in what looks like a 14 year power trip?
snow report
Quote:

Mostly people understand that it is not in our shared interests to open themselves up to questions on a forum with a crowd like this one

So why bother?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
nixmap wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
davidof wrote:

So rather than linking them you prefer to wrap it up as a riddle in an enigma in what looks like a 14 year power trip?

The usual obfuscation rolling eyes

Personally, were I to be seeking unpaid “volunteers”, I’d probably seek agreement from previous successful applicants for their testimony. Certainly, that would engender a much greater positive reaction for nixmap than his/her rather opaque approach.
snow conditions
I just don't 'get' his approach, but I presume he's had the odd successful applicant from here - otherwise why would he come back? - and there must therefore be some snowHeads of similar mindset, for whom the job is right and the weird secrecy is immaterial.
snow report
Perhaps he doesn't want his first wife to know he has the chalet?
snow conditions
I don't think there's any mystery at all. At least 5 days person-days of work a week (2 people for 2.5 days) and an unspecified lot more in school holidays. Shopping and preparation before their visits, and clearing up afterwards, deep cleaning all those rooms, including the kitchen and lots of bathrooms, would be additional to that. It's surely the equivalent of a pretty full time job for one person? And all for no money - just accommodation provided.
snow conditions
Quote:

naturally you should be capable of doing all tasks above without difficulty, or attitude

Good luck with that...
snow report
pam w wrote:
I don't think there's any mystery at all. At least 5 days person-days of work a week (2 people for 2.5 days) and an unspecified lot more in school holidays. Shopping and preparation before their visits, and clearing up afterwards, deep cleaning all those rooms, including the kitchen and lots of bathrooms, would be additional to that. It's surely the equivalent of a pretty full time job for one person? And all for no money - just accommodation provided.

Accom. in a Swiss ski resort it has to be said. Maybe there is money to be made subletting the chalet when the owners are not there? Set for Christmas movies, pron films etc? Could make quite a nice screenplay for a comedy.

Anyway you have to decided whether a 2.5 days / week job in a Swiss ski resort would cover accommodation to be better off? (ok post Brexit there is an issue with work permits too but also the 90 days rule for nixmap's "job").

The minimum wage in Geneva is 4368 francs for a 42 hour week. I dunno what a ski resort would have to pay.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
I just don't 'get' his approach, but I presume he's had the odd successful applicant from here - otherwise why would he come back? - and there must therefore be some snowHeads of similar mindset, for whom the job is right and the weird secrecy is immaterial.

It’s no secret he also does the same at TGR. So it wouldn’t surprise me he does it in other (non-English) forums too. Cast the net wide. It’s reasonable to catch a few interests. But clearly never ideal for either party. Hence the secrecy of previous “volunteers”.

He’s clearly willing to tolerate unreliable “volunteers”. And I’m sure his “volunteers” are even more willing to tolerate less than ideal arrangements. After all, they could always walk away if things don’t work out.

It’s obviously an informal arrangement. So whoever does the bargaining the best gets closer to what they want.
snow conditions
I don't get what the issue is - everyone seems to have an issue with the post- but is it actually such a terrible deal? For the right person this may not be too bad - hell - if you can remote work, in your 20s, this is nearly ideal all things considered - especially for Americans looking to spend a winter away. If the OP wants privacy, for whatever reason, they may ask for an NDA signed prior to any discussions which is probably why the details are scant - respect to them for wanting to maintain their privacy.
snow report
@extremerob, I doubt many have the energy to re-rehearse the arguments. You'll find them on old threads.
latest report
@extremerob, Legality of being in CH, permission to work, liability/insurance issues etc. I think by now the kids are probably grown up so less in loco parentis type risk but then bringing their young adult mates when mum & dad aren't there?
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
@extremerob, I doubt many have the energy to re-rehearse the arguments. You'll find them on old threads.

I have seen the previous threads - though not followed religiously

Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@extremerob, Legality of being in CH, permission to work, liability/insurance issues etc. I think by now the kids are probably grown up so less in loco parentis type risk but then bringing their young adult mates when mum & dad aren't there?

Assuming the permission to work/legal status is resolved - I think this works for certain people - again I can imagine a 20 year old that may have some form of remote working / possible influencer trying to get started etc. or a GAP Yeah type - may say free accommodation for the season, food, ski pass, access to a luxury chalet and all the amenities for the tradeoff of having to clean/cook for lets say 50% (being conservative) on average isn't that bad of a deal.

What is the alternative work as a chalet boy/girl or any other seasonal job - for low pay and also 50% skiing. You aren't going to save on these sort of jobs - and who knows you make get a nice thank-you envelope at the end of the OPs offer?

The other thing is you may also have the opportunity to rub shoulders with people in a certain industry that will pay immeasurably in your career development.
latest report
@davidof, Min wage how much ? 4368sfr for 42 hour week ? Presume that’s a month ? Just seen it’s 24swiss an hour in 2023
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy