Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter sports travel insurance for whole season

Poster: A snowHead
After recently retiring from the Fire Service I'm treating myself to a full ski season in the 3 valleys. My standard travel insurance only covers winter sports for a max of 31 days. I've had a brief look at quotes for season long insurance and the quotes are eye watering. Any ideas/suggestions from any seasonaires who my have been in a similar predicament?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you could try Ergo in Horsham, my daughter used them for her seasonaire insurance, https://www.ergotravelinsurance.co.uk/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, I’ll give them a call.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Davidpem Firstly, I hope that you realise that will need a French short term visa if you are intending to stay for more than 90 days https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en/web/france-visas/ai-je-besoin-d-un-visa . A lot depends on what sort of cover you want and whether you are able to return to the UK during the season. If you just want basic rescue, medical and repatriation then the Austrian Alpine Club membership https://www.alpenverein.at/britannia/membership/member-benefits.php seems to be a good option (I haven't used them myself). The limitations are that you will need to take out 2022 & 2023 membership to cover the whole season and (I believe) that they only cover a maximum of 8 weeks per trip, so you would have to do a return trip to the UK mid season. Otherwise, SCGB Platinum membership, with a 60 day per trip extension, might be a good option. I used them last season and had to make a claim, which their insurance company were slow to handle but responded very quickly once I made a complaint to SCGB. Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My wife is trying to sort out our season ski cover but it is expensive as you would guess.

Be careful with things like the definition of 'seasonaire' cover as that tends to be designed for workers and not tourists so it may not cover you
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Take a look at Impact Multi Sports / GBC Montagne.

They offer year round multi sports coverage including all things snow and they also offer daily rates which looks a good deal.
We have used them for four years. Never had to claim but rates are less then specific snowsports cover for a season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike S wrote:
@Davidpem Firstly, I hope that you realise that will need a French short term visa if you are intending to stay for more than 90 days https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en/web/france-visas/ai-je-besoin-d-un-visa . A lot depends on what sort of cover you want and whether you are able to return to the UK during the season. If you just want basic rescue, medical and repatriation then the Austrian Alpine Club membership https://www.alpenverein.at/britannia/membership/member-benefits.php seems to be a good option (I haven't used them myself). The limitations are that you will need to take out 2022 & 2023 membership to cover the whole season and (I believe) that they only cover a maximum of 8 weeks per trip, so you would have to do a return trip to the UK mid season. Otherwise, SCGB Platinum membership, with a 60 day per trip extension, might be a good option. I used them last season and had to make a claim, which their insurance company were slow to handle but responded very quickly once I made a complaint to SCGB. Hope this helps.

SCGB have a few different options with limits on the length of trip and max number of days skiing per trip and year. They also have a policy which will cover a five month season. Only available with Platinum membership and by actually talking to membership Services. I rejoined last season purely to make use of this after using MPI for many years. This info was correct when I took out my policy Feb 22.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For France, I would strongly recommend getting a Carre Neige Saison (https://carreneige.com/en/nos-offres/carre-neige-saison/). If you need scraping up, you won't get fleeced in advance. Just remember to carry it with you when skiing - same goes for your EHIC/GHIC card.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Davidpem,
Decide what you are going to do slopewise in the season & the look at dogtag.co.UK
Then get the most comprehensive insurance you can as you will have a go in the park, will go off-piste, will try ski touring etc. You are there for the season and it doesn't take too long to have skied all the pistes.
And if you think you may try the odd day in other resorts the annual Carte Neige is what you want.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Be aware that DogTag have a shoddy medical screening system as soon as you disclose ANY health problem no matter how small, and then charge a substantial uplift in premium
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Davidpem, This might be worth a look https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/assurance-outdoor-snowleader-protect-FIDE00026.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=marque&utm_campaign=UK_EN_Blackcrows_Nouveautes_211022&utm_content=push_assurance

'Snowleader offers you a complete sports insurance to enjoy your favourite sports in complete safety. The Protect Snowleader insurance program allows you to benefit from a sports insurance for 1 year for £30.
- Medical assistance & repatriation 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including off-piste and altitude sports.'

No personal experience ...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dr.Snow,

That's incredibly cheap.

I would have to hear the experiences of anyone who has made a medical/rescue claim through the Snowleader Insurance.

There is very little detail in the internet link.

Has anyone had experience of buying anything from Snowleader? Where are they based?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@welshflyer, I've bought skis from them and that was fine - but I know that's not quite the same thing. Smowleader https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/ are a French retailer based in Lyon.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welshflyer wrote:
@Dr.Snow,

That's incredibly cheap.

I would have to hear the experiences of anyone who has made a medical/rescue claim through the Snowleader Insurance.

There is very little detail in the internet link.

Has anyone had experience of buying anything from Snowleader? Where are they based?

medical expenses up to €10,000, rescue and search costs (helicopter, piste rescue, etc.) up to €10,000 That's not particularly high coverage. I would check the details, it could be just a basic get you off the mountain and home cover.

ah, more details in the pdf, https://images.snowleader.com/media/wysiwyg/snowleader-protect/IPID-snowleader-protect-en.pdf.pdf. It is really basic cover.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Medical expenses up to 10,000 euros "abroad", i.e outside France, but only up to 500 euros in France. So only really suitable for French nationals.
ski holidays
Does anyone know of a decent company for Canada? My daughter teaching at the ski school in Whistler this year. Ergoinsurance was nearly £10k Shocked
snow report
@boabski, Might be worth checking the BMC

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/Default.aspx#

'Q. I work as an instructor / guide. Can I buy cover?
A. Yes, the BMC has made special provision for hill walking, climbing, mountaineering and ski guides and instructors. You will need the 'Professional' cover option which extends the cover benefits to the policyholder during their work time. This is with the exception of 'Personal Liability'. During work time liability should be covered by a separate employer's liability or professional indemnity policy.'
latest report
Quote:

medical expenses up to €10,000, rescue and search costs (helicopter, piste rescue, etc.) up to €10,000 That's not particularly high coverage

I'd say that's particularly low, rather than "not particularly high".
ski holidays
@Dr.Snow, thanks. Will get her to look into. I guess the ski school will have PI cover for all things that happen within ski school but you just never know with North America and their lawsuits
ski holidays
So - if I just want a policy to cover most of any hospital expenses in combination with new EHIC , get me off the mountain and repatriate me if necessary (and if I don’t want all the add on re piste closure , baggage losses etc ) - and one which covers ,say , 30 days of skiing - is there any reason not to have carre neige saison ? Would this plus a non skiing policy for any non skiing accidents do the trick ?
ski holidays
@boulevardier, if you plan on several trips, I would make sure your travel cover has winter sports as you may need to cancel a subsequent ski trip. I'm not sure if it is necessary, but I had appendicitis while on one trip last March, GHIC/EHIC covered most of the medical expenses. Although skiing was actually irrelevant to that trip and my Nationwide policy covered the rest, I had a ski trip booked and paid for April which I needed to cancel. Although I was able to move travel dates to later in the year, Carré Neige would not have covered me for having to cancel the accommodation costs, and Nationwide certainly asked what the purpose of my trip was before they approved the cancellation. I'd been declared fit to travel home, so GP had to say that I was unfit to ski. If winter sports had not been included, I suspect my claim would have been un-successful.
ski holidays
Point taken - but I have accommodation so all I need is insurance for accidents / health issues needing treatment, third party liability and repatriation if necessary . I think all this is covered with EHIC and carre neige (75% on hospital costs ) but I’m a bit nervous about relying on this so would welcome any thoughts but people who have had experience of it .
snow conditions
But lad to hear that ghic worked and covered most of your medical expenses - hope you recovered quickly !
ski holidays
@boulevardier, I also have my own accommodation and went back to spend the remainder of my holiday there to recuperate a little before I travelled home, but the second trip was to another destination, and yes thanks, I did recover quickly, but unfortunately not enough to be able to go skiing again before the end of the season.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy