Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Problems importing Skis from EU

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I ordered a pair of Scott Slight skis last month from Glisshop in France via their UK website, which got held up in UK customs. They were subsequently held up and returned to France where they are currently sitting in French customs.

After chasing up, Glisshop are telling me UK customs will not allow them to be delivered as the skis were made in the Ukraine!

A quick google search shows that Scott are not the only brand who make ski equipment in the Ukraine. As you can buy most brands (albeit at higher prices) in the UK, it sounds a bit odd that these items now cant be imported.

This is the first bit of kit ive bought from outside of the UK so wondered if any snow heads had experienced similar problems and ways around it? I'm a bit concerned about buying another set and unknowingly running into the same problems.

Thanks!

SP
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a customs problem rather than Glisshop, I'd say.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's a bit odd. Taking that stance meant that you can't buy a large chunk of the world's consumer goods from the EU as they'll have been made in China.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That’s strange. I have just bought a pair of skis from Glisshop which arrived successfully yesterday. All customs fees were covered by the shop with nothing to pay on delivery. Took less than 5 days to deliver.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just check the T&C’s because the website backs up my experience.

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/shipping.html
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Could it be issue with the skis not having been manufactured in EU? To claim zero tariff under withdrawal agreement due to preferential origin the skis would have to be EU manufacture.

That would mean import duty would be due in addition to VAT, and perhaps Glisshop were not prepared to cover this? Although it would probably be 3% or something like that.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kerb wrote:
Could it be issue with the skis not having been manufactured in EU? To claim zero tariff under withdrawal agreement due to preferential origin the skis would have to be EU manufacture.

That would mean import duty would be due in addition to VAT, and perhaps Glisshop were not prepared to cover this? Although it would probably be 3% or something like that.

I was charged duty on a pair made in France.

edit..I was wrong, just checked and it was only VAT, the extra was "Custom Handling Fee"
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Brexit. Congrats!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry I wasn't completely clear... Glisshop said that there was a UK customs ban on goods manufactured in Russian controlled areas of Ukraine, not an issue with fees. In effect stating that there is a UK ban on Ukrainian products.

If this was the case I would have thought there would have been more wide spread issues, however doesn't sound like this is the case.

Glisshop now saying they can look at shipping different skis, but need to check which ones are not made in Ukraine as they can't ship them to UK

All seems rather strange!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The fun of Brexit, all countries customs seem to make up the rules on a daily basis when dealing with the UK and likewise our customs on imports from EU countries. It also makes a huge difference which courier is used, on an individual country basis. My current favourite is Italian customs trying to charge all my customers 200e for a radioactive test on their orders, when we use DHL.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is there a way of challenging UK customs? Had a look on the UK customs website and the only restrictions on Ukraine imports are for those from Crimea or Sevastopol region, dating back to 2014!

I think Fischer Sports (who manufacture scott skis) have a factory in mukachevo which is def not Russian controlled.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 19-10-22 20:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There were additional regions added to the sanctions list in early October, Kherson, Donetsk and two more I cant remember.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Langerzug wrote:
Putin. Congrats!

FIFY - sorry to spoil it but not all the ills in the world are Brexit related.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ster,
I wrote Brexit, not Putin. Puzzled
But since the ski’s came from France, without Brexit there probably would not have been any customs check, and hence no problem…. So yes, Brexit….

Oh, and since Putin probably has been actively promoting Brexit….the circle is round!
Congrats!
By the way; how’s the lettuce?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah to be fair it is a brexit casued issue.

If the UK was still in the EU then this would not have happened. No matter what old Comrade Putin is up to.
snow report
I can't but think this is a mistaken interpretation of the sanction rules - The ski factory is in western Ukraine, near the Slovakian border (the town of Mukachevo)

There was a big fire in the factory during 2020

https://www.snowindustrynews.com/articles/2020/october/fischer-factory-in-flames/
latest report
This seems unlucky - the factory (Fischer Sports Equipment) is in Mukachevo in Western Ukraine so should not be subject to any restrictions BUT the importer has to state a specific code somewhere on the documents to say goods originate from an area of Ukraine under control of Ukrainian government (code is 9017).

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/9506190000?country=UA
snow report
I bought a pair of Blackcrows from them this time last year, and they were delivered within 48 hours, so not sure it is a Brexit issue?
snow conditions
Gilly76 wrote:
I bought a pair of Blackcrows from them this time last year, and they were delivered within 48 hours, so not sure it is a Brexit issue?

While in the EU, I don't believe UK customs would have the right to block the legitimate import of skis from another EU country - due to the free movement of goods.
ski holidays
I bought a pair of Blizzard skis from Snowcountry (Netherlands) in June, they were manufactured in Ukraine and they came through customs OK
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy