Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lufthansa Ski Equipment

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

For the first time this year I'm flying with my own skis plus wife and child skis.

I'm ok to register one ski bag with 3 pairs of skis plus poles (~22kg) and register this on their online website below.

https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/add-sports-baggage

I don't want to separate into 3 bags, so it's unclear to me whether I have to register each ski pair separately since it says 1 pair of skis per person.

Perhaps it's just easier to give them a ring, but I thought I'd try here first.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmm that looked really useful. Then i get tick box saying I understand this is a chargeable service and will pay at airport.

It has a link to undertsand charges. Which then says in that the ski bag is free but need to phone the number.

I suspect it will all be fine BUT concerned I will as stated be charged at airport. Like you think I will take safe option of phone which it confirms will mean ski bags are taken for free.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From April 2022, I had skis carried free but I did need to call their "service" centre (interesting use of the word...) to book them onto the flight as there are capacity limits. Good luck - you may need it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Give them a ring for sure, they claim they have limited capacity — but I think it's rare they get full with oversized luggage. I have always called them, and then got a ref number.

Skis are free for sure. I've never had a problem taking a bag with more than one pair of skis, they really don't care.

Note that if you book the cheapest "lite" option, with no hold baggage, then skis are NOT free to transport.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. I'll give them a ring tomorrow. I've confirmed I have the non 'lite' option with free skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Despite Lufthansa ski carriage being free if the weight is within your luggage allowance, I'm having a nightmare carry on after a recent booking with them.

Mrs MA and I have booked to fly to Japan with them in February - from Manchester > Frankfurt > Tokyo > Sapporo. Two of the flights - ie the Tokyo to Sapporo flights and the corresponding return - are operated by All Nippon Airways (ANA).

After booking a ski bag online via the Lufthansa website, I got an email asking me to ring them. I did so and was rather surprised to find that:
1. Lufthansa are unable to add the ski bag to the ANA flights.
2. I need to contact ANA myself to do this.

I did challeng this but was informed that this is definitely the position - ie the airline that I have booked flights with cannot add bags to all of the flights. It's unbelievable.

Since then, I have been unable to contact ANA by telephone. Their website shows one 0808 worldwide contact number. This goes through to Japan but it is impossible to get through to anyone. I have been on permanent hold when trying the number three or four times and have waited for about 90 minutes.

Attempts to contact ANA by email have been just as fruitless - to do so needs a 10 digit 'ANA number' which I do not have (only a Lufthansa alpha-numeric booking reference).

I have called Lufthansa back and explained the position. They have suggested just turning up at Manchester Airport and trying my luck on the day. Not great... Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mountainaddict, I have done Japan twice with LH - connecting in Tokyo onto ANA operated flights. Never had an issue with ANA taking the ski bags and have never booked them ahead of time. They will not check your bags anyway all the way through - you will have to clear customs in Tokyo and recheck the bags - as that leg is operated as a domestic connection.

I know saying don't worry about it doesn't help - but honestly the Japanese are super helpful.

The Sapporo-Tokyo route is one of the busiest in the world and they operate them on 777/787s with a high volume of passengers and low checked bags - honestly its like busses for them - and I have great stories Smile - Your bags will go through no problem - and ANA are pretty clear they take the ski bags as part of the checked bag allowance - https://www.ana.co.jp/en/gb/travel-information/baggage-information/checked-baggage/

Enjoy Hokkaido - I need to get back there next year!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's great extremerob - thanks for your very helpful and informative response. That certainly puts my mind at rest a bit (if not fully Laughing )

We visited Honshu 20 years ago but have never skied in Japan.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm still none the wiser having spoken to Lufthansa but at least I was able to register 3 sets of skis for the flight.

Still don't know whether it's ok to combine them into 1 or 2 bags, or do they have be separate. The lady I spoke to wasn't sure so recommended separate bags.

Also I had hoped my online account would register the skis but I can't seem to see anything obvious.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gresty wrote:

Still don't know whether it's ok to combine them into 1 or 2 bags, or do they have be separate. The lady I spoke to wasn't sure so recommended separate bags.

The check in staff are very unlikely to care how many sets of skis are in a bag. They may possibly weigh the bag, but they don't always. However if they lose a bag, or skis get damaged, they'll point to the t&cs as a reason to only compensate you for one pair per bag.

Personally I'd probably put them into 2 bags, mainly because I find a 22 kg ski bag awkward to handle.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy