Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alagna/Gressoney/Champoluc - help me decide, please

Poster: A snowHead
We are heading over to Monte Rosa for the February half term (Family of 4, 2 adults and 2 children), 3 of us intermediate skiers, confident on reds and venturing between the pistes/easy off piste and 1 good snowboarder.

I have found some accommodation in all three valleys but my preference is Alagna - based purely on the hotel and the village. Having been on google streetview Alagna looks like a really lovely village and our hotel has a pool - both fairly high up on our list of ski holiday requirements for us as a family. However, having looked at Fatmaps and the piste map i think realistically we will be mostly skiing in Gressoney valley - easier intro off piste and more pistes. Before I book I just wondered how often the wind close the lifts up to Cimalenga down? I realise this is difficult to predict, but some indication would be helpful - the accommodation has told me not very often and they will bus us to a smaller resort nearby. My husband (the Snowboarder) is likely to be the only one using the Idren lift - so that's not really a game changer, if he can get 1 day out of 7 this will be fine.

Is there much intro off piste in Alagna? Second choice based purely on accommodation would be Champoluc, but looking at the piste map it looks like a longer ski to Gressoney from Champoluc than from Alagna. The accommodation at Gressoney is actually in Staffal but this looks a little soulless to me - perhaps I have got this wrong?

We will be driving over and ideally would be looking for a guide/instructor for 2 days/ 4 mornings - instruction for the kids and I, and guiding for the snowboarder.

Some help/advice would be much appreciated, thank you.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Laura123, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
You're correct that Staffal is pretty soulless, Gressoney is a bit of a ghost town, Alagna has much more of a proper living village feel. I'd stick with Alagna, none of these villages are particularly 'apres' sort of resorts, but Alagna has the most charm imho. Decent intermediates can easily ski all the way to Champoluc and back in a day so you're not missing much being at one end. I've been 5 times and only once were the lifts shut for wind, but maybe I've been lucky. We enjoyed skiing down the valley that day for a change of scenery. And the pool makes it a no brainer Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, I wouldn't be recommending Staffal - other that that it is the most convenient place to stay to access the are.

I know very little (nothing) about Alagna as a village. All I've ever seen in the walk from the home run back to the bubble return. If I was to suggest a downside is that in poor low snow years the home run can be a bit sketchy, although, Monterosa derby notwithstanding, it's not a classic.

Mrs U's father came from Champoluc so the family still have a place there, so that's where we stay.

The big bowl traverse skiers right from the col betwixt Alagna and Gressonney is fairly approachable for off piste. But you do need to be aware that Monterosa is amazing for off piste in the sense of ski mountaineering, not necessarily deep powder ... oh and, legally, avvy kit is required off piste in Piedmonte.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Laura123, you could take the view that if the weather is too poor for the links to open then even the runs that are open won't be that fun so you may as well be in the pretty village with a pool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Laura123, I would avoid Alagna for the reasons you mention above. The top links over each pass did close relatively often last season. I was checking because of two day trips there last March, and I wanted to work out whether it would be risky booking the specific date in advance.

It's not just the very windy days where top lifts are closed due to wind - it's the *quite" windy days where the top lifts *might* close due to wind - you wouldn't want to risk going across to the other end of the ski area in case you get stuck. It's a long way back by road.

On average I would say you'd be stuck (or effectively stuck) on the Alagna side for a couple of days in a week. If you get settled weather it might be zero days, but in an unsettled period it could be more than 50% of the week. You can't predict that in advance so I wouldn't take the risk personally.

Either of the other valleys are absolutely fine in terms of access to the rest of the area for skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rambotion, actually, in fairness, while a fair point, it’s often just high winds at altitude closing the links and perfectly pleasant off the tops.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
But if you're stuck in one of the valleys it really restricts the skiing area available.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@denfinella, the lifties are very good at managing things on sketchy days.

I have no idea how many days I’ve skied MR - ? ~300 ? - and I’d suggest that the Col between Champoluc and Gress has been closed 5 or 6 times? Really not so much. Obvs YMMV and I probably have totally forgotten those days it was forecast to close so we just tucked ourselves in somewhere convivial for lunch .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Champoluc would be my choice.
Different scenario, more slopes, all connected, and from the bottom valley over the tree line wind has no real effect.
Pools and SPAs can be found both sides, what makes the difference in my humble opinion is the configuration of the valleys.
Champoluc has more sun, makes it better for the lunch brake on the slopes and the snow quality.
End of the season, Easter time, when it goes sloppy because of heat, usually you finish the day on the Gressoney side, for the same reason, less sun, less warmth, better conditions but in february, you really want to be on the Ayas side.
Even more, the amount of after ski activities in Champoluc is higher and the road from the motorway less difficult to drive, if you are driving.
Ciao
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mrNiceTia wrote:
Champoluc would be my choice.
Different scenario, more slopes, all connected, and from the bottom valley over the tree line wind has no real effect.
Pools and SPAs can be found both sides, what makes the difference in my humble opinion is the configuration of the valleys.
Champoluc has more sun, makes it better for the lunch brake on the slopes and the snow quality.
End of the season, Easter time, when it goes sloppy because of heat, usually you finish the day on the Gressoney side, for the same reason, less sun, less warmth, better conditions but in february, you really want to be on the Ayas side.
Even more, the amount of after ski activities in Champoluc is higher and the road from the motorway less difficult to drive, if you are driving.
Ciao

I've enjoyed trips to Alagna and Champoluc. I agree that Alagna is more charming and the better choice for someone who hopes to be mainly off piste but for a family holiday I'd also go with Champoluc
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks so much everyone for all of your input, I really appreciate your advice. We have booked to stay in Champoluc and we are really excited to be visiting Monte Rosa for the first time. I am very sure we will be back and will get the chance to stay in Alagna another time. We are staying on the slopes just above the spa and the hotel has told us it's an easy off piste walk to access - so we are happy with that compromise.

Now to book the half term tunnel Shocked

Does anyone have any suggestions for guides/instructors please? Mostly ski lessons for the kids and I with some snowboard guiding for my husband.

Thanks again.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, fair enough, you clearly have much more experience with the area than me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@denfinella, “experience” somewhat subjective!

I would easily recall as a good day one where the cold were forecast to, or were closed, and we just did a few late morning laps and tucked ourselves in for a good lunch and some nice Barbera …

So my known to be faulty memory can’t really be relied upon!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the past decades, the official ski instructors and the “scuola sci” have no real exclusivity.
In the same area you can find plenty to pick from.
You want a given instructor? Must be booked well in advance.
Single lesson? Might be complicated.
Not always easy to get kids in a group.
Usually the best way is to get in touch and organize this well in advance.
I can check the numbers later today, and send you the outcome.
What I have seen in the last summers I have transferred auntie up and down for her summer holiday is probably something you should call first.
No idea how they got there and never met them, but the seem for what they have on the website full of good https://ski-champoluc.com/
And there native language might help.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The official school
https://www.scuolascichampoluc.com/?lang=en_EN
snow conditions
@mrNiceTia, Ski Champoluc is the re-start of Ski—2 by on of the management.

If it’s as good as Ski2 it’ll be good.
snow report
Thanks, we have booked an instructor via Maison Sport Smile
ski holidays
@Laura123, We will also be in Champoluc for half term (again!). I am sure you will love it.

I am intrigued about where you are staying though. You say on the slopes above the spa, which is interesting as the only accommodation I can see that would meet this description is up at Crest. This is a gondola ride from the village, the big public spa is at the edge of the village and the gondola only runs very occasionally in the evenings so not sure it will be that accessible for you. That aside I have often though we would enjoy staying up the mountain so keen to know if that is what you are doing and how you get on.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy