Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next skis advice - intermediate going advanced skier

Poster: A snowHead
I have been skiing for 4 months now (~30 ski days total). My current skis are 2022 Atomic X9 Wide Body 176cm, and measure 74.5mm underfoot. I am 193cm tall barefoot, and nearly 100kg naked.

I ride in Atomic Hawx Prime 120S with personalised race insoles, but find them a bit soft and roomy now and plan to upgrade to Redster CS 130.
I carve aggressively on blue trails and am usually by far the fastest person on the slope. I can do red trails and enjoy them if the snow is good, but usually they are more tiring then fun - in such cases, I am usually the slowest on reds, unless the snow is good.

I find the most fun in dynamic, sharp, frequent turns at speed, while being fully in railroad mode. That's where I want to progress. Long carving turns at high speed used to be fun for me, but now I feel they are a bit boring and usually use up slope lengths way too fast to be enjoyable. I want to get better and usually ski 5-8 hours a day, oftentimes without breaks.
I started feeling my current skis are a bit lazy and sluggish at maneuvers. I don't know if it is because of them being wide, or X (which in Atomic lingo is a mix of G and S), or both. I would like something more dynamic, perhaps narrower and shorter, easier to maneuver at steep slopes, but still able to occasionally take them off the groomed surface to experience some off-piste.

What kind of ski would you recommend to me as my next pair? I was thinking about slalom skis, something like Atomic S9, or maybe the latest 2024 X9 RS which have been getting stellar reviews of late. I do not really know other brands' lineups.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might consider the Head Supershape range eg Magnum etc Or possibly the Dynastar Speed range eg. 763 etc
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For what is worth from my own experience, if your ski boots are soft and roomy after 30 days, you bought the wrong size.
I chose an expensive custom fit liner which felt nice for a couple of weeks but only when I chose a narrower boot one size smaller and thin ski socks then I felt in perfect control on all pistes and my skis were responding much faster.
Try to rent a tighter pair for a couple of days and you'll know what needs to be changed.
Best of luck.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@drporat
I am aware of what you wrote. However, it is not possible to rent a narrow and high-flex boot as all rentals end on flex 100 (110 if lucky) and are chosen specifically for occasional recreational skier. Anyway, I think I have the boot topic dialed. I am looking for support with the skis.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@lockheed, at most resorts it certainly is possible to rent 130 flex boots. Yes most of the boots are 100 or less for beginners but both of the hire shops in my village have Salomon, Atomic and Dalbello boots in 130 flex. They also have available top end race skis like Völkl Racetiger in GS and SL variants or Atomic G9 and S9.
The X9 isn't going to turn quite as quickly as a Völkl SL or Atomic S9 but it certainly isn't a sluggish ski, maybe they need a tune. The SL skis will have a turn radius about 3 metres shorter for a ski at the same point in the length range i.e. the longest v longest or mid length v mid length than the X9.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I stopped reading after "I carve aggressively on blue trails and am usually by far the fastest person on the slope."
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
76mm is not a wide ski, & I don't believe that wide skis are much slower from edge to edge, I push my 110s from edge to edge just as fast as my 76s.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
I stopped reading after "I carve aggressively on blue trails and am usually by far the fastest person on the slope."

I had a similar feeling, but we all felt like king of the hill at that stage of our skiing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First lessons, then new boots, then finally new skis
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just a question from an intermediate who generally enjoys red runs - do advanced skiers find red runs more tiring than fun?

For me the answer has always been to get instruction and I concur with @On the rocks
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Old_Fartbag thanks for that hint. Head Supershape e-Magnums look like a good option.

@Chris_n I am sure that's the case in Austria. Not so in Poland or Slovakia.

@On_the_rocks
You misunderstood. That was not a description of feeling, but an objective observation. I usually am by far the fastest on blues (even though I am not going for speed), and I seldom see anyone on blues carving on my level. I do not feel like a king of the hill but a person stuck in awkward place where blues don't make it anymore and most reds in the afternoon are not fun yet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

Skiing fast is easy - point skis down hill + hockey stop at the bottom...

Chances are a good instructor will slow you a lot on blue runs to get good technique for steeper/moguls/ice/off piste etc

Wrt ski choice, get a few suggestions, then go and try them. Intermediate piste skis are a huge range and variety for different preferences so I expect there are nearly as many recommendations as snowHead responding...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lockheed wrote:
I have been skiing for 4 months now (~30 ski days total). My current skis are 2022 Atomic X9 Wide Body 176cm, and measure 74.5mm underfoot. I am 193cm tall barefoot, and nearly 100kg naked.

I ride in Atomic Hawx Prime 120S with personalised race insoles, but find them a bit soft and roomy now and plan to upgrade to Redster CS 130.
I carve aggressively on blue trails and am usually by far the fastest person on the slope. I can do red trails and enjoy them if the snow is good, but usually they are more tiring then fun - in such cases, I am usually the slowest on reds, unless the snow is good.

I find the most fun in dynamic, sharp, frequent turns at speed, while being fully in railroad mode. That's where I want to progress. Long carving turns at high speed used to be fun for me, but now I feel they are a bit boring and usually use up slope lengths way too fast to be enjoyable. I want to get better and usually ski 5-8 hours a day, oftentimes without breaks.
I started feeling my current skis are a bit lazy and sluggish at maneuvers. I don't know if it is because of them being wide, or X (which in Atomic lingo is a mix of G and S), or both. I would like something more dynamic, perhaps narrower and shorter, easier to maneuver at steep slopes, but still able to occasionally take them off the groomed surface to experience some off-piste.

What kind of ski would you recommend to me as my next pair? I was thinking about slalom skis, something like Atomic S9, or maybe the latest 2024 X9 RS which have been getting stellar reviews of late. I do not really know other brands' lineups.

Take a lesson and ask the instructor to honestly grade your ability. From what you have described you are an early intermediate and should be learning to ski on what you have, not chasing new gear after 4 months. Your comment about being the fastest skiier on a blue slope……. rolling eyes By your own admission you struggle on reds on less than perfect conditions. Hardly the mark of an advanced level skiier ?
Good luck
Andy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lockheed wrote:
I seldom see anyone on blues carving on my level.

Out of curiosity, what are you basing this observation on? How have you assessed your own level relative to that of others on the slopes?

As others have said, you sound like an early intermediate. You’ll benefit much more from lessons with a decent instructor than from buying a new pair of skis when the ones you have are fine.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As above, get a lesson. I have the Atomic CS130 and they are a big step up after my last 120 flex boots. Likely too much for someone at your stage. Similarly G9/S9's are very stiff for recreational skiing and you will need a lot of room to carve the G9's. Head e.speed are in between the two and have a slightly softer flex. Get some independent feedback on your actual level first though....
snow report
Thank you all for your thoughts.
snow report
Klamm Franzer wrote:
As above, get a lesson. I have the Atomic CS130 and they are a big step up after my last 120 flex boots. Likely too much for someone at your stage. Similarly G9/S9's are very stiff for recreational skiing and you will need a lot of room to carve the G9's. Head e.speed are in between the two and have a slightly softer flex. Get some independent feedback on your actual level first though....

Agreed. I have the G9’s and there aren’t that many opportunities over the course of a season when one can maximise their potential….our local resort has mostly red pistes.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 4-03-23 9:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
No - red slopes are not "tiring" at all.

No - you don't need stiffer boots. Or new skis.

No - speed on a blue slope is not at all an indication of level

No - you are not "going advanced skier". Any competent intermediate should find red slopes pleasant, and not tiring. And should be able to navigate all pisted slopes with good control.

Yes - get some lessons.

This reminds me of a chap on my BASI 1 course back in the day. Extremely confident of his ability, stating he skis very fast and is better than most people he has seen on the slopes. The first time we saw him skiing was terrifying. Bombing down the slope with weight back, no control at all, terrible stance and a danger to himself and others. He saw the course out being kept on a very tight leash. Failed of course. Did not improve at all. And complained at the end that his "advanced" level meant he was not properly judged on a course for lower levels. Very sad really.
latest report
I tend to refer to Inside Out’s “What’s My Level” guide to what constitutes a skier’s abilities:

https://www.insideoutskiing.com/level.html

Sounds to me as though the OP is perhaps, in reality, a Level 6, Early Intermediate.
snow conditions
Sounds like the OP is mainly skiing in Eastern Europe. I’ve skied in the Tatras at a few resorts and Polish resort skiing is at the easy end of the spectrum in my opinion, the largest resorts having less than 40km of pistes. Black runs are more like a steepish red in the Alps, blues are variable but on the whole not steep and a lot would be hard greens in France. I’d recommend having lessons, not wasting money on more advanced kit which will only hinder progression towards intermediate skiing.
ski holidays
I have never been to Eastern Europe, but yes, I skied so far only in Poland and Slovakia.
snow report
And with this latest post the troll status is confirmed.
snow conditions
@Chaletbeauroc what is confirmed is that in your personal development you have prioritised arrogance over education.
snow conditions
lockheed wrote:
I have never been to Eastern Europe, but yes, I skied so far only in Poland and Slovakia.

I'm afraid you might have to contend with Anglophones, for most of whom Central Europe doesn't exist and Eastern Europe starts at the Oder–Neisse line.
latest report
jmr59 wrote:
lockheed wrote:

I'm afraid you might have to contend with Anglophones, for most of whom Central Europe doesn't exist and Eastern Europe starts at the Oder–Neisse line.

I wonder where they place Russia, Georgia or Azerbaijan Puzzled

Anyways, I will get some lessons and since I have to replace the skis under warranty anyway, I will look into options suggested here.
Thanks to all.
snow report
lockheed wrote:
jmr59 wrote:
lockheed wrote:

I wonder where they place Russia, Georgia or Azerbaijan Puzzled

Anyways, I will get some lessons and since I have to replace the skis under warranty anyway, I will look into options suggested here.
Thanks to all.

Get the Instructor to give you an assessment of where your skiing is at and if they are good, they will emphasise Control over Speed - and work on the basics, at slow speed and on easy pistes, before upping the ante. Get drills, which can be used to ingrain good form when the Instructor isn't there.

The Head Magnums are fun and lively....and suit a wide range of abilities, from Intermediate to good Advanced skiers. IMV. At your weight, you will need the 177s. Ideally, try and get a demo before committing.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Get the Instructor to give you an assessment of where your skiing is at and if they are good, they will emphasise Control over Speed - and work on the basics, at slow speed and on easy pistes, before upping the ante. Get drills, which can be used to ingrain good form when the Instructor isn't there.

The Head Magnums are fun and lively....and suit a wide range of abilities, from Intermediate to good Advanced skiers. IMV. At your weight, you will need the 177s. Ideally, try and get a demo before committing.

Thanks.
e-Magnums are on my shortlist. Do you have an opinion of it vs DYNASTAR SPEED 763 and/or Kästle MX75 / MX83 which were also suggested to me?
And should I unequivocally go for the longest version in all of them?
latest report
lockheed wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Thanks.
e-Magnums are on my shortlist. Do you have an opinion of it vs DYNASTAR SPEED 763 and/or Kästle MX75 / MX83 which were also suggested to me?

I think the Speed 763 is a rebadged Speed Zone 12 Ti, which I own - so am biased. Kastle have a great reputation and are more expensive....and only you can decide which you like best.

The Heads are probably more forgiving.

This forum can provide suggestions; but understandably, what it can't do, is provide the preferences of someone else.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lockheed wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Thanks.

I have the Kästle MX83 and have been on the MX75 also. It is a pretty accessible ski with a high top end, but do require some input. If you only ski piste, then go for the MX75 - Solid skis !
latest report
DanishRider wrote:
I have the Kästle MX83 and have been on the MX75 also. It is a pretty accessible ski with a high top end, but do require some input. If you only ski piste, then go for the MX75 - Solid skis !

What's the difference between them in your opinion?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy