Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plagne 1800 to Aguille Rouge - quickest route

Poster: A snowHead
Bonjour tout le monde
We are heading out to LP, staying in 1800, and want to experience the Aguille Rouge. Could somebody please advise on the fastest way to get there? Happy to hop on a bus and enter the list system further over to the left of the piste map if that will help.
Merci
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ryunis, can't comment on the La Plagne side , but once you get to Vanoise (or rather, off it!) it's 5 lifts:

Peisey (on your right exiting the Vanoise) 6x chair
Derby 6x chair
Mid - station on the TransArc gondola
Varet - gondola
Aguille Rouge cable car.

Some may suggest continuing past the Derby and getting the TransArc from the bottom, in Arc 1800, I think it's 6 of one, 1/2 doz of the other - and total variation in time likely to depend on lift queues.

But this is far, far better in terms of time than getting busses around from LP to LA (and it's more skiing anyway)

Best pistes to take between each lift? Well, there's your homework for the evening!

HTH
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers. Now just need the LP side Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ryunis, LP side is easy - from the top of Arpette schuss down to the little rope tow and ski down to VE, following the signs
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27 wrote:
@Ryunis, LP side is easy - from the top of Arpette schuss down to the little rope tow and ski down to VE, following the signs

Ok will probably get the bus over to that village (bottom of Arlette) then. Ready to go at 9.

Thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ryunis, I think it's pretty easy on skis, Melezes and then Bergerie then ski down to Arpette
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This dude shows you the way from Plagne centre...

Should get the juices flowing snowHead wink

http://youtube.com/v/EOjrJb8YXPM&ab_channel=AdventuresOutHere
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Red. Certainly does!

Sounds like we could be at the top of AR by mid-late morning.

I noticed you commented on the transfer thread too. Are you based in LP?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ryunis, No - wish I was... Just a regular visitor. I normally stay in Les Coches which is a good place to explore both sides of the ski domain

Transfers are a pain - there used to be a company called Mountain Sun which did fantastic cheap short breaks where the transfer was included - they're sadly missed...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agree with you Red stayed in the Mountainsun place in Les Coches had a brilliant week.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ryunis (and red 27, you are correct that taking the bus around from 1800 to Bellecote is the quickest way.
The buses start before the lifts do, so you can get to Bellecote quicker than Meleze-Bergerie and skiing down.
The other advantage of the bus is the wonderful warm-up you get walking from the bus to the lift: after a gentle saunter past the shops and bars there is a stimulating climb up to the Arpette lift.
But time it right and you can be among first onto the lift and way ahead anyone starting at Melezes.

After the rope tow at top of Arpette, stay right and take Pierre Blanche down to the Vanoise.
Go to upper section of Vanoise and stand by the exit door. You will be first off and walking down.
Straight round to the Peisey lift, taking no prisoners.

We think Derby then TransArc at halfway stop it the best way, but you need to be determined to get into the partially filled gondolas with those already there trying their best to dissuade you.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you don't like the idea of a crammed Transarc gondola, you can continue across beneath the mid-station on Traversee and head over to the Carreley chair. I generally use this when heading back to 1950 - it also avoids the need to take skis off, though you'll need to when you reach Varet.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@195062, agreed it's a route, indeed possibly more pleasant, but OP asked for the fastest. And getting from Carrely to Varet means going via Plan, or even another lift (Marmottes), and neither are going to be quicker than TransArc.

(In fact, I'd wager that using Traversee you'll still be in the - admittedly short - Carrely queue by the time a TransArc user is clipping in at the top of Plagnettes!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arctic Roll, Agreed, unlikely to be as quick, though Plan then keep right below Arcabulle will go straight to Varet. I'm not a great fan of Transarc, though due for an upgrade, I believe.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
These timings may be useful... A couple of weeks ago my wife and I (nearly 70) were in Belle Plagne and headed over to Les Arcs a couple of times. On Tues 25th we got the Arpette chair at 9:16 and reached the top of Varet (via Peisey, Derby, Transarcs) at 10:45. There was a queue for the AR cable car and we didn't get to the top until 11:15. After a few photo stops we reached Villaroger at 12:00.

A couple of tips....with a full Paradiski lift pass you can use the "files rapides" priority lines to bypass the queues at Peisey, Derby and Varet. Also, if time is of the essence, you can get 50% off the Aiguille Rouge Fast Track queue cutter (8€ full price). See: https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/fr/experiences-domaine-skiable.
latest report
Hamlet wrote:
These timings may be useful... A couple of weeks ago my wife and I (nearly 70) were in Belle Plagne and headed over to Les Arcs a couple of times. On Tues 25th we got the Arpette chair at 9:16 and reached the top of Varet (via Peisey, Derby, Transarcs) at 10:45. There was a queue for the AR cable car and we didn't get to the top until 11:15. After a few photo stops we reached Villaroger at 12:00.

A couple of tips....with a full Paradiski lift pass you can use the "files rapides" priority lines to bypass the queues at Peisey, Derby and Varet. Also, if time is of the essence, you can get 50% off the Aiguille Rouge Fast Track queue cutter (8€ full price). See: https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/fr/experiences-domaine-skiable.

Brilliant. Thank you
ski holidays
Somewhat related.
If staying in Les Arcs and having a day out in La Plagne what would be the quickest way up the mountain that doesn’t involve consecutive lifts with no skiing?
snow report
Ah, sbooker, good question.
Are you asking just about La Plagne side, or also your route to Vanoise in Les Arcs?
(and therefore, where are you staying in Les Arcs?)
ski holidays
@sbooker, Guessing from other threads you are talking about being in 1800.

If so, you can get to Peisey (and hence the Vanoise lift) using only one lift. And that's any of them that take you above the Plan Bois run - Vagere, TransArc to the mid-station, or Chamotteger. Which one you get will depend on what part of 1800 you are starting from.
If in Eden Arc you can even use Carreley to gain the height.

If in 1950 or 2000, again, you can do it with one lift - Bois de l'Ours, although many people prefer the skiing from the top of Arcabulle, which would be the second of 2 lifts.

1600: you'll need 2 lifts too get to Peisey.

IE getting to LP is fewer lifts than getting back! (although once you get across to LP there's a fair few lifts you need to get into the main skiing over there - 3 minimum, and usually 4)
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
Ah, sbooker, good question.
Are you asking just about La Plagne side, or also your route to Vanoise in Les Arcs?
(and therefore, where are you staying in Les Arcs?)

snow report
Just hit the 'search' bar at the topic and remembered that I started this thread last year. The trip was a bit of a mission with quite a bit of flat on the LA side.
Overall, whilst the views from the peak were incredible and worth the journey alone, the ski down was pretty cr@P as it's basically one long cat track with a couple of cool pistes along the way. This isn't me complaining, just recording my experience for anyone else who might be considering the journey. Views=great, pistes down=meh.
snow report
Ryunis, maybe you asked the wrong question.
The right question might be: "What is the most interesting/challenging route from 1800 to Aguille Rouge?"

Maybe its my age, but i do wonder why so many seem in such a hurry.
The quickest route is often not the best.
ski holidays
@Ryunis, The glacier on the Aguille Rouge is hardly a cat track - it's over 100m wide and offers fantastic skiing. If it's open the Robert Blanc is one of the most challenging piste in the domain.
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
Ryunis, maybe you asked the wrong question.
The right question might be: "What is the most interesting/challenging route from 1800 to Aguille Rouge?"

Maybe its my age, but i do wonder why so many seem in such a hurry.
The quickest route is often not the best.

TBH I was interested in the most direct route as I didn't want to get caught out and was considering lunch time etc. I now realise that it is perfectly doable without having to rush.

My recent comment is just my reflection of the actual run down, a separate issue really. As mentioned above, some of the sections were excellent but I remember most of the journey down was on a narrow path having to navigate past people slaloming a flat, narrow track. This probably wouldn't be so bad, but seeing as we had come from the opposite area of the ski domain, and had never done it before, we did have one eye on the clock, unfortunately.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy