Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working a ski season in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys!
I couldnt find any similar thread at least not of the newer date.
I would love to work a season in Austria (maybe Switzerland).
I am 47 have been running my private business for 20 years, i am very good at organizing and managing but never worked hotel jobs (worked for 3 months as a waiter when i was 22).
I traveled the world and lived in many countries.
I would love to be able to snowboard 3-4 times a week at least.
Of course i would want more money for my work but money is not more important than time to snowboard. It needs to be nice compromise.
I speak 4.5 languages unfortunately German is the rusty one (i learned it for 5 years in private school should be B1 level by December).
I was very surprised to find there is 13th and 14th salary in Austria, if you work in hotel you can generally use fitness and sauna, you get discounts on a ski pass and many other things.
I would pay to spend 4 months snowboardind so this sounds great and very fair.
I was thinking Ischgl, St Anton, Mayrhofen, Saalbach and Kitzbuhel.
I am looking for a bigger ski resorts that i am not gonna be bored with in a few weeks.
I would prefer to work as a waiter (more money, tips, usually you work afternoons and evenings) but would settle for room boy or something else if i have to (and have enough time to snowboard).
There is shortage of work force everywhere in Europe, also British cant work seasons anymore in EU like they used too.
I can see many hotels still looking for staff.
Wrote my CV and sent to a few places, no answer yet (but realize i have to write it in Deutsch).
Has anybody worked last season, what are your experiences and also whats your advice?
Many thanx wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@lukasi, hotels and gastronomy are recruiting now for the winter season, but German language and qualifications or experience in hotel positions are desirable (for example; waiter, cook, reception, maintenance). If you do not have EU passport it is much more difficult as the employer will have to sponsor you for a seasonal visa. You will not earn the 13th and 14th salary as this does not apply to seasonal workforce. Large hotels often have accommodation for seasonal workforce.

To find the positions, the ski areas usually have a "Jobbörse" website, so look for these online.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@lukasi, what passport do you have?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As far as i know you do get extra salaries divided with the number of months you worked?
I read hundreds of ads maybe i missunderstood.
I know that ski areas have job website, i already checked Ischgl.
I have EU passport, i was just talking about general lack of work force (in the whole of Europe).
I was looking for people who worked season lately to share a few info.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@lukasi, Most people who post here can't work in Austria anymore, so you may not get much useful information.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A huge number of jobs are advertised on the Austrian Labour Service website - www.ams.at/allejobs
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lukasi wrote:

You did say switzerland....

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161465
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So if anybody worked season i would like know their experience.
WHat did they do, how was the work, how was the pay, how much did you manage to ski/snowboard...
Many thanx wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
quinton wrote:
A huge number of jobs are advertised on the Austrian Labour Service website - www.ams.at/allejobs

i know about ams, thanx anyway
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
extremerob wrote:
lukasi wrote:

You did say switzerland....

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161465

link doesnt work
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IS there any other forum where it would make more sense to ask this question?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@lukasi, the link does work.....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx wrote:
@lukasi, the link does work.....

... but really doesn't help your genuine questions.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lukasi wrote:

I was very surprised to find there is 13th and 14th salary in Austria

When I joined a rock band I was really surprised to find their guitar amps went up to 11!!! whereas the ones you can buy retail only go up to 10. So when your average punter is at the limit a rock band can push the sound just that little bit further.

Who knew?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@lukasi, I would not hold out many hopes of getting extra month's pay if you are on a short term fixed contract. Generally these payments are for a "Christmas bonus" or similar and are at the employer's discretion (though it might be in the employment contract) for permanent staff. Given how difficult it is to find staff in the hospitality industry currently it should not be too hard to find a job in a ski resort for the season (ask the local tourist office for pointers), whether such jobs would allow you the amount of time off the play in the snow you would like is a somewhat different matter.
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
@lukasi, I would not hold out many hopes of getting extra month's pay if you are on a short term fixed contract. Generally these payments are for a "Christmas bonus" or similar and are at the employer's discretion (though it might be in the employment contract) for permanent staff.

No, these 13th/14th salary payments are not discretionary, but an agreed part of the remuneration. Never really understood why people liked it, TBH, as it's really just the employer holding back a part of your salary until Christmas, like an enforced interest-free savings scheme.

It used to be pretty much universal (in CH) but has been phased out by many larger employers over the last 10-15 years. Not sure how common it remains here or in Austria.

And yes, if you're properly employed but only for a part-year you should get the payment pro-rata for the period you work.

@davidof, Thank you Nigel.
latest report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
it's really just the employer holding back a part of your salary until Christmas, like an enforced interest-free savings scheme.

Exactly this, other countries have similar and some are paid out in summer. Used to be the case that the authorities liked to make sure the workers had cash to enjoy festive/holiday times rather than complain they didnt so didn’t leave it to their feckless subjects to need to work this out and save through the year.
snow report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
munich_irish wrote:
@lukasi, I would not hold out many hopes of getting extra month's pay if you are on a short term fixed contract. Generally these payments are for a "Christmas bonus" or similar and are at the employer's discretion (though it might be in the employment contract) for permanent staff.

No, these 13th/14th salary payments are not discretionary, but an agreed part of the remuneration. Never really understood why people liked it, TBH, as it's really just the employer holding back a part of your salary until Christmas, like an enforced interest-free savings scheme.

It used to be pretty much universal (in CH) but has been phased out by many larger employers over the last 10-15 years. Not sure how common it remains here or in Austria.

And yes, if you're properly employed but only for a part-year you should get the payment pro-rata for the period you work.

@davidof, Thank you Nigel.

If i understood correctly its the law.
and if you ask me it doesnt really matter if somebody "holds" your money, the amount matters.
So if you get at least 2000 euros a month in total with all the expenses paid for, i think thats great.
You can save at least thousand a month and snowboard for months!
You also get various discounts on ski pass, per example the huge tyrolian one is with discount only about 600 for season!
snow report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
munich_irish wrote:

In Austria is still the norm to get the 13th salary at the end of June and 14th at the end of November. They're not bonuses because it's just how the annual salary is paid out rather than extra to it, but the benefit to the employee is *significantly* lower taxes on the 13th and 14th salaries.

It's been a long time since I've done any seasonal work, but I think even when I did some farm work for a month or two one summer in Niedösterreich I got a pro-rata payout to account for the extra salary at the end.
ski holidays
Most of the seasonal workers, particularly those from the eastern European countries, are in Austria to work and earn money rather than to have a working ski/snowboard holiday. Most don't even ski, and many work two jobs (or work all the hours they can - e.g. in the hotel restaurant by day and in the cellar bar/nightclub by night) in order to maximise their earnings. They also don't want to risk getting injured and losing their jobs, earnings and accommodation.

The €2,000 a month earnings are probably for six days a week, often split shifts or all-day shifts on the mountain (e.g. 8am - 7pm in a mountain hut) so skiing/boarding time is limited to maybe one day a week.
snow conditions
Lech and Arlberg in general:

https://www.arlbergjobs.at/#
https://fundgrube.lechbank.com/
snow report
Jobs around Arlberg (St.Anton, Lech etc.):
https://www.arlbergjobs.at/#
https://fundgrube.lechbank.com/
snow conditions
@lukasi, You'll struggle to get a job in Austria if you don't speak good German. Best way is to call a few hotels, maybe they'd hire you as a driver (if you have a clean licence and a EU passport). Jump on the St Anton website as an example and look under accommodation for the hotel details, choose the larger ones, the smaller ones don't normally have requirements for drivers. Don't waste time emailing CV's, jump on the phone - they'll be sussing your German language out. If no EU passport and no German speaking forget it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy