Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Issues with Hemel

Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody else found that the snow in Hemel is in a very poor state.
Went there yesterday and there were 4 main patches of ice down the middle and then areas with 4-6inches deep snow in other areas and really badly cut up and not an enjoyable experience. Normally i go on the weekend at 8am where it is nice and if i am going to go later in the day i go the extra 30mins up to MK as it is quieter but it was not until last night that i realised how much firmer and holds up better the "snow" in MK is and how alot more predictable it is as a surface.

from now on i will not being going to hemel after 8am.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went to MK about a month ago, found the snow grippy, but weirdly slow, especially compared to Chill Factore that i'd just spent the entire weekend skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was there the other evening. Snow was as you described, though I blamed my skiing.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From personal experience it's definitely true that the snow in these places varies between them and over time. I sometimes think that they may have "maintenance events" or something where the temperature gets out of range and stuffs up the snow for a while, or some other issues with chemical additives or something. Maybe someone here used to work at such a place and could explain what the issues are. It makes perfect sense to go where the snow's best though.

If it's better before 08:00, why's that?

I went to Hemel on the "test" evening organised by this site and didn't notice any issue.
But then a bit of dust on hardpack wouldn't bother me much, or hard artificial snow.
Well prepared and sharp edges help a lot - if you're using their rentals then that probably won't help.

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
phil_w wrote:
From personal experience it's definitely true that the snow in these places varies between them and over time. I sometimes think that they may have "maintenance events" or something where the temperature gets out of range and stuffs up the snow for a while, or some other issues with chemical additives or something. Maybe someone here used to work at such a place and could explain what the issues are. It makes perfect sense to go where the snow's best though.

If it's better before 08:00, why's that?

I went to Hemel on the "test" evening organised by this site and didn't notice any issue.
But then a bit of dust on hardpack wouldn't bother me much, or hard artificial snow.
Well prepared and sharp edges help a lot - if you're using their rentals then that probably won't help.

at 08.00 it is fresh groomed and pisted.

from the pic you showed that is not to bad and been there when its like that. i wish i had taken a few pics from last night of how deep and rough some of the areas were.

Snow is snow it was skiable and yes i was on the slowest set of hired skis i ever used as mine are in for service but i have hired a number of times. its more the consistency you would be coming around on a turn then get bogged down with a lurch or you could be coming around a turn in the deep stuff then hitting a bit you can see your reflection in that has a dusting on top of it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I’ve not been to either recently but have found the waxing on rental skis in MK to be very variable. When I got a pair that stuck to the softer pitch areas they couldn’t tell me when they were last waxed. I swore then to take my own next time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was there Tuesday and it was great. It wasn't fresh groomed but it was consistently "cut up" across the slope with more softer plies to the right as usual and good covering all over top to bottom. No ice patches at all between 1 and 4 pm. Best and most consistent I have seen it ....
Use my own skis and always use zardoz wax

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 27-10-22 12:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Isn't this just a case of how much traffic the slope has during the day? Gradually the nicer snow gets pushed towards the edges and leaving the base exposed in the middle.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Funny that........ rolling eyes how dare they try to provide a real snow experience and the snow gets pushed to the side and a bit of ice or hard packed snow becomes visible in the middle in the afternoon Smile .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Groomer carving sure go early. Playing around go use the mounds of sugar later in the day to your advantage. Obviously late October and particularly half term there will be high traffic.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From experience Hemel is more popular and has a lot more traffic than MK. Plus, as above, it's half term so running at max capacity. The best and cheapest skiing at Mount Hemel is always between April and mid October.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was at Hemel for the first time at the oktobertest, specifically wanting to test wider skis in bumpy conditions and was very glad of the small bumps down the RHS. I think if the whole slope was groomed flat, it would have been a wasted journey, though I might have been more sociable and actually got some of the food I paid for Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tangowaggon, You’ve been to the PV hotel buffet, so should know better Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Issues with technique
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
Issues with technique

maybe maybe not as had no issues skiing on the surface was more a question on how is the snow different that hemel looks like trash with bumps and deep soft spots when Mk still looks flat and firm at the end of the day. Even after 2 hours in the morning it is starting to cut up and start to get a bit more choppy. Is this due to hemel not compacting the snow as much is this hemel running the snow warmer of does all this come down to the basic way they generate the snow where MK seems like more of a small beads of ice.

and yes i will admit i love perfectly groomed runs in the morning and hate snow days or offpiste powder. i have more fun just running down the icy patches in the middle than the softer areas on the side that the snowboarders i was with were the opposite
ski holidays
It's been a while since I skied at Hemel but generally found it to be the most chopped up of all the domes. I assumed it was the amount of traffic.

I feel for beginner skiers who have to cope with that on top of getting to grips with the basics. Lots of variables to deal with.

As an aside, my favourite dome is Castleford, seems to have the least traffic, doesn't get loads of features put out that restrict the slope.
snow report
It varies at Hemel from week to week. I've done the last 3 Tuesday early sessions (7:00am start) every week it's been different. Not an issue just you can feel the differences.
ski holidays
I went last Wednesday after having been a number of times throughout August and September, and the conditions were dreadful. Big spots of ice where my rental skis had no grip at all, and when I hit any patches of the built up snow my skis had so much drag I'd almost fall over forwards. My girlfriend went for her level 4 lesson and the conditions really knocked her confidence.

In general my experiences with Hemel have been positive, but I think for the amount they charge (£50 for a 2 hour weekend pass) the piste quality and how busy they let it get is a real disappointment.

Not been to MK yet so can't compare but think it might be worth a trip to compare.
snow report
I prefer the snow to be cut up a bit, it makes it more interesting and a lot more realistic on what you actually get in the mountains. The rental ski's are usually terrible though with blunt edges and bases like sandpaper, I wish they would keep them in better condition or offer a 'premium' selection for more money that are newly serviced.

I can't remember if it's MK or Hemel but one of them has a small number of 170cm skis (usually the longest they give out is 160cm) and I have found that if you specifically ask for them they find a pair at the back of the store and are generally in better condition because not many people use them.
snow conditions
Having only been to MK so far and having booked a couple sessions at Hemel for later this month, I look forward to comparing the two slopes. However, is it not beneficial to have an element of dodgy snow terrain under ski whilst practicing drills and technique? Although I can see the benefit of mastering techniques on perfectly groomed snow, having a bit of mountain reality thrown in sounds, on the face of it, no bad thing?
snow report
@EViS, +1

Keep a look out for the chopped up stuff on the sides. Quite fun.
ski holidays
AL9000 wrote:
@EViS, +1

Keep a look out for the chopped up stuff on the sides. Quite fun.

They are. And even better on a snowboard when they make nice kickers.

Went again on sunday afternoon and perfect. The stuff on the sides was chopped up and nice and fluffy but didn't lunch you when you went into it and the middle was hard and nice without the ice patches. Will just avoid it at 7pm and later going forward and stick to pre 12am
snow report
@Ghostlybadge, Good idea. They should close it for an hour at 4ish and bash the piste for the evening session.
snow report
After every time I go, I get a “How Was Your Lift Pass?” email.

They want feedback.

So give it to them!

Moaning on here may feel nice, but I doubt they are reading snowHeads in the vain hope of finding out what your particular experience was like. Perhaps if enough people make a point of commenting on poor snow, they’ll be motivated to get better at making and preparing it. My experience is that on many occasions the new snow generation/preparation is pretty dismal a.m. and varies in patches from OK to downright velcro, and ‘wears’ poorly, and at other times, generally when the snow is older (and noticeably more discoloured) it’s actually a lot better. (And yes, I have told them that.)
latest report
JohnS4 wrote:
... I wish they would keep them in better condition or offer a 'premium' selection for more money that are newly serviced....

As an aside, I happened to ask how often they serviced their skis - the answer was never. They said they buy them new, use them for a given amount of time, then sell them in bulk to dry slopes.
snow report
Ghostlybadge wrote:
Has anybody else found that the snow in Hemel is in a very poor state.
Went there yesterday and there were 4 main patches of ice down the middle and then areas with 4-6inches deep snow in other areas and really badly cut up and not an enjoyable experience. Normally i go on the weekend at 8am where it is nice and if i am going to go later in the day i go the extra 30mins up to MK as it is quieter but it was not until last night that i realised how much firmer and holds up better the "snow" in MK is and how alot more predictable it is as a surface.

from now on i will not being going to hemel after 8am.

When I asked Hemel some of these type of questions, they said MK keep their dome colder (maybe -6c rather than -2c?) which of course helps to keep the slope in better condition as it can form overnight into a harder base. But that comes at the expense of higher energy consumption, so I'd presume their pricing is more expensive than Hemel?

As to the condition, it really depends when they made a large batch of snow and what level of traffic has been using it before you get there. If there is lots of soft snow made overnight it can form into columns - I believe this is due to insufficient time spent using the piste-basher to distribute the snow properly. When this happens, if you then also get some heavy usage, it cuts up *very* quickly. But many other times I'd say the prep of their slope is pretty good, so it's a bit of a lottery.
ski holidays
I was there yesterday. Several of us commented that it seemed colder in there than previously. The snow seemed pretty good to me - there was a bit of variability, with a few areas of stickier stuff, but mostly good.

For anyone interested in the rental skis, they have just changed them all, so get 'em while they're sharp!
ski holidays
I went today, late morning; as noted above I got brand new skis, their first outing (a first for me as never had my own). Snow seemed in really pretty decent shape to me (relatively speaking) and for the most part not too busy in there. I had a great morning.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gliss, my daughter was lucky enough to do her work experience at Hemel this summer, when i picked her up after her last day we bumped into the maintenance team that she had carried out some tasks with.
we got talking, and they explained how the slopes are maintained, apparently the snow is replenished and bashed every night after the centre closes.

they actually gave me a tour of the garage at the rear of the centre where the (brand new) piste basher is kept and allowed me to sit in it whilst they started it up and moved one or two of the attachments.

i must admit i was like a kid in a sweetshop Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
terrygasson wrote:
@Gliss, my daughter was lucky enough to do her work experience at Hemel this summer, when i picked her up after her last day we bumped into the maintenance team that she had carried out some tasks with.
we got talking, and they explained how the slopes are maintained, apparently the snow is replenished and bashed every night after the centre closes.

they actually gave me a tour of the garage at the rear of the centre where the (brand new) piste basher is kept and allowed me to sit in it whilst they started it up and moved one or two of the attachments.

i must admit i was like a kid in a sweetshop Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Very nice!

From my observations (visiting Hemel 3-4 times per week for the last few months) I'd say they definitely create much more snow on some days than others. And that might be part of the reason why it gets cut up more on some days. Although I agree they bash it each night, as you can see their piste-basher on the webcam once the centre closes!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 2-11-22 19:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Hemel is much better than MK, go to Hemel Laughing
latest report
So, if you actually want the snow to be cut up & bumpy, last session before closing is the best? Are weekends more bumpy after being busy?
ski holidays
tangowaggon wrote:
So, if you actually want the snow to be cut up & bumpy, last session before closing is the best? Are weekends more bumpy after being busy?

Yep, it gets more cut up and bumpy as the day progresses, especially on weekends where the traffic is heavier throughout the day so if you want it more choppy later on is best.

If it's been a particularly busy day there'll be some ice patches where the snow has worn through, which if you're looking for variable terrain is probably a bonus, just not so good for beginners with rental skis.
ski holidays
Ok, I'm just about to pick up some new planks Very Happy Very Happy , tomorrow night might be a plan
snow report
I was there as well on Wednesday from 10am to about 2pm.
I enjoyed it and I did not spot any ice patches yesterday ...
There was a stretch about 5m wide nearly all the way down from about 11am that was getting scraped clear of loose snow.
On the roller side you could say it was building up some small and soft moguls.
But I thought it was great.

Saying that, a few weeks ago on a Wednesday there was an ice bolder on the roller side about 10m down from summit. It caught me out and put me on my RRRz.... should have been more on my outside ski.

Two weeks ago they replaced nearly all the skis with new kit.
They are good, I find 160cm is a better length for me in the Fridge than my normal 170cm on real hills.
I think they do a greatg job.

A few years ago I went on a Sunday afternoon and it was really bad, it was too crowded and the iron work was showing through in a few spots.
I thought it was dangerous and told the management and went home.
They refunded my pass.
snow report
Hemel was superb today ...10 til 3 and hardly anyone there
snow report
Thoughts on dry slopes?

I love Hemel for drills. Should I try the dry slopes, lot cheaper in winter and not as busy?
latest report
@chrislondon, I teach and ski often on a dry slope.

For basic drills it's effective, but you don't have as much grip as you would on snow at Hemel, also, it hurts more if you fall over.
snow report
Of course there was a time when Hemel was dry, and I suppose they changed it for a reason. I like dry slopes, but I'm fairly hard core. Artificial snow is easier/ more tolerant of poor technique. It may be a question of when and where you go, but dry slopes feel less crowded to me, and have a bit more variety in terms of bumps and stuff (although as per this thread, not everyone wants that).
snow report
Thanks both - sounds like a good idea to mix it up, particularly in the winter.

Last time I looked they're typically circa 50% less than Hemel, even with Hemel's annual membership discount.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy