Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2022/23 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
Layne wrote:
Skied Julie today. Has that piste been there very long? Don't ever recall skiing it.

Looked at the historical ski maps - Lagopede was renamed Julie just before the 2022/23 season.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
azza2110 wrote:
Layne wrote:
Skied Julie today. Has that piste been there very long? Don't ever recall skiing it.

Looked at the historical ski maps - Lagopede was renamed Julie just before the 2022/23 season.

Cheers, although Lagopede doesn't ring a bell either.

Wonder who decides on such a name change and why Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Layne wrote:
Wonder who decides on such a name change and why Puzzled

Don't know for sure but I assume it's been renamed in commemoration of Julie Pomagalski, French snowboard world champion who operated Prosneige ski school in Meribel and died in an avalanche in 2021. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Pomagalski RIP Julie.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Je suis un Skieur, merci!
Sad to read this story but it’s good to understand why it’s been renamed for her.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Je suis un Skieur, cheers. But sad obv.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What a contrast today.

In VT it snowed until early afternoon. The resort and slopes carried on the theme of the last week, very cold at night, not far from zero at midday. Snow conditions fantastic.

We missed the last link from Mottaret to VT, but by the skin of our teeth were the last to the Les Menuires side. 10c was displayed on thermometers, the pistes comprised vast heaps of granular wet snow, there was no escaping it. Hideous conditions, but I suppose the norm?

VT’s micro climate appears a skier’s dream.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You must be talking about the bottom of Les Menuires? I was skiing late in the day today up there, skied Becca, Allamands, Allée and down to then up ROC2 to get home to St Martin (where we then got the Express at 4.56 to do Cherferie/Jerusalem) and don’t really recognise that description until you get right down low (approaching ROC1/Croisette etc). Don’t go below the midstation and it’s fine.

Snow’s great on the whole in VT I agree. But it can be awfully busy at points and plenty of great runs elsewhere too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skimum1 wrote:
You must be talking about the bottom of Les Menuires? I was skiing late in the day today up there, skied Becca, Allamands, Allée and down to then up ROC2 to get home to St Martin (where we then got the Express at 4.56 to do Cherferie/Jerusalem) and don’t really recognise that description until you get right down low (approaching ROC1/Croisette etc). Don’t go below the midstation and it’s fine.

Snow’s great on the whole in VT I agree. But it can be awfully busy at points and plenty of great runs elsewhere too.

It was the entire ‘home run’, say the final third of the mountain, piste Bruyeres?

I haven’t encountered xxxx like that since a March 97 trip to Foppolo Crying or Very sad

[n.b. I completely missed the rain and mud of this season, lucking out with a ski holiday that ended on 23 Dec].
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We’ve had fantastic sunny days and great skiing since last week and Friday’s top up, but in came the rain today Sad .
After at least 10 days of nursing the snow on the Biollay piste into St M, today it’s closed as the muddy stretch finally got too much. Mr P decided he needed to get fitter for his upcoming trip to Norway, so got his skins on and climbed from the top of St M 1 to the Grand Lac restaurant. Drizzle, fog and soggy snow all the way. He headed up the Granges lift and reports that the rain snow limit was about half way down Grand Lac (I guess around 2400-2500m).
I didn’t fancy any of that that, so the dog had a great walk up to about 1950m, before returning to St M by the gondola.

Thursday is our last day and the forecast suggests it could be a great day on which to finish the season. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 11-04-23 17:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Perty, we skied down to St Martin on Biollay middle of last week and thought it was a day or two from closing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rain/snow limit has been +/- Les Menuires most of today. First thing in the morning was drizzle, but snow a couple of hundred metres higher. Then snow at lunchtime, and back to drizzle this afternoon.

There was a decent few cm of fresh (albeit wet/sticky) snow at 2600m+.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowing fairly hard here in Les Menuires tonight.

Fingers crossed for some sun tomorrow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Perty wrote:

Thursday is our last day and the forecast suggests it could be a great day on which to finish the season. Fingers crossed!

Hope you have a great last day! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Stuski, looks like a monumental end to the season, enjoy!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Stuski, dumped it overnight here in Val T. Forecast says snowing pretty steady for the next week, hopefully clears a little today. Couldnt see the the chair lift from Kashmir windows 10 mins ago, but looks to be clearing a little!
latest report
I've woken up and it's still slinging it down here in Menuires. Must be 10-15cm at least?
snow conditions
Fab last day for me and Mr P today. Here endeth my 22/23 season. A couple of inches here at 1450m this morning. First lift to top of St M Express, followed by coming out of the fog to make fresh tracks down Choucas in about 6-8 inches. Up Olympic chair and 2 laps of Face (got heavier as the sun poked out of the clouds). We then headed back over the St M side and spent the rest of the morning trying to time our off piste descents with gaps in the clouds and snow fall. About a 50% success rate! Teppes area (shhh..a secret spot) v good till the vis disappeared.
We decided to take an early lunch at Grand Lac and sit out the storm. The sun came out as we ordered, but we thought we had a gap after lunch and headed up Granges chair only to have the clouds and intense snow assert themselves on the way down.
Mr P had to get back for a meeting, so we decided to call it a day, only to end up having a couple of decent laps down Pramint. We nipped back into St M down the closed Biollay piste, which had just enough cover on the muddy parts to make it passable and a very pleasing finish.
Lovely dog walk this pm up to Beranger, stunning views of swirling clouds above white mountains and bright green fields.
snow conditions
Perty wrote:
Fab last day for me and Mr P today. Here endeth my 22/23 season. A couple of inches here at 1450m this morning. First lift to top of St M Express, followed by coming out of the fog to make fresh tracks down Choucas in about 6-8 inches. Up Olympic chair and 2 laps of Face (got heavier as the sun poked out of the clouds). We then headed back over the St M side and spent the rest of the morning trying to time our off piste descents with gaps in the clouds and snow fall. About a 50% success rate! Teppes area (shhh..a secret spot) v good till the vis disappeared.
We decided to take an early lunch at Grand Lac and sit out the storm. The sun came out as we ordered, but we thought we had a gap after lunch and headed up Granges chair only to have the clouds and intense snow assert themselves on the way down.
Mr P had to get back for a meeting, so we decided to call it a day, only to end up having a couple of decent laps down Pramint. We nipped back into St M down the closed Biollay piste, which had just enough cover on the muddy parts to make it passable and a very pleasing finish.
Lovely dog walk this pm up to Beranger, stunning views of swirling clouds above white mountains and bright green fields.

Sounds like a brilliant last day! Very Happy

This time next week we will have had the first ski day of our final 3Vs trip of the season Very Happy.
latest report
I arrived in Val Thorens today for 1 day of giant slalom and on monday an eurotest for my partner. Fingers crossed Eh oh! .

I spent the season in La Plagne and while the lifts are turning 1 more week over there, a number of hotels and restaurants either closed last saturday or are closing this weekend. The vibe is very different in Valtho where things remain quite lively and parkings are a lot fuller than I would have guessed before coming.

Today was sunny untill 3 pm, cloudy ever since, quite some wind already in resort.
Tomorrow, giant slalom on the stade de slalom. Go time Smile
ski holidays
Was looking at the webcams earlier and it looks great in VT today. Well jealous of anyone who's there!
latest report
Things getting a bit tasty in local politics Puzzled

https://www.facebook.com/Uneoppositionconstructive/
latest report
Last year winter, season passes for the lifts were for the first time not valid during the summer. For summer 2023 it would appear they have gone back to winter season passes being valid in the summer again.

This must have been a late decision as my paper receipt shows expiry on 15 May 2023. At least they have listened to the many criticisms on this issue.

https://www.les3vallees.com/en/guide/all-summer-passes
snow report
Duster wrote:
Last year winter, season passes for the lifts were for the first time not valid during the summer. For summer 2023 it would appear they have gone back to winter season passes being valid in the summer again.

This must have been a late decision as my paper receipt shows expiry on 15 May 2023. At least they have listened to the many criticisms on this issue.

https://www.les3vallees.com/en/guide/all-summer-passes

That's very good news! Very Happy

We complained at the tourist office in VT last summer when they told us our season passes were no longer valid for the summer. As you say, others must have done the same wink .
snow report
We're now back home after our 9 day trip to VT, from 20-29 April. We had fantastic conditions overall, with some great off piste Very Happy . Here are a few photos.

ski holidays
Looks fantastic @Bergmeister Very Happy

Such a shame that VT, Tignes etc always close so early wink - when there's enough snow to stay open until June each year! Laughing
snow conditions
They run out of customers, not snow. Even in the first week of April, when snow was generally good, people were reporting very quiet pistes and no queues.
latest report
@pam w, its quite annoying as I'd certainly given them business later and would be a nice time for a family holiday. Could also bilocate with a more Spring / Summer destination and / or do more summery activities like hiking, biking, lakes etc.

From the reports Val Thorens and Tignes / Val do seem quite busy, I wonder would they consider extending it by a week or two in future? Maybe we're looking at it through the rose tinted glasses of a good late season snow flurry though.
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, nice pics, not jealous at all. Will be even less jealous when you drag Mr P off to Norway next week...he's so keen to make sure he can keep up he went to an aerobics class yesterday (don't let on I told you)! Naturally, I'd far rather be at work..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @Perty Very Happy

Mrs B, Mr P and I will all be thinking of you on our Lyngen ski tour next week.

Don't worry, however.... I am sure a trip to the Arctic Circle won't beat working for a living! wink Toofy Grin

Who needs 23 hours of daylight anyway? Puzzled
latest report
April and often May tend to have much better conditions than December or January, at least at altitude. Someone needs to remarket skiing as a spring rather than winter sport!
ski holidays
@pam w, Val Thorens was far from empty when we were there for the EoSB.
snow conditions
Anyone use three vallee transfers? Had a mail today about them not doing transfers this coming season and another company taking over the booking we have - just trying to find out if it’s legit or a scam.
snow report
Are there any discounts on skipasses bought in advance ? I notice that Paradiski is offering 40% off on quite a lot of low season weeks if bought before 6 Nov.
snow conditions
eblunt wrote:
Are there any discounts on skipasses bought in advance ? I notice that Paradiski is offering 40% off on quite a lot of low season weeks if bought before 6 Nov.

I don't believe so - but I'm sure they are looking at what Paradiski are doing with great interest (and working out if they think it's impacting their sales numbers - and what they do if it is!).
latest report
Noticed Meriski have announced they are not trading this winter - anyone shed any light?

Had a fantastic last minute holiday with them this year and surprised to see them exit the market after 35 years!
snow report
@bobalexander1983, Meriski have entered voluntary liquidation and are not members of abta. They appear to have significant debts in the 2022 accounts.
ski holidays
eblunt wrote:
Are there any discounts on skipasses bought in advance ?
Various groups are now offering to provide discount codes for 30-40% savings on all classes of season passes. These are dependant on getting 200 registered applicants before the 12 November.
Meribel property owners can apply through https://www.alp-meribel.com/decouvrir/avantages/ . There is a 30 Euro joining fee but the registered member can apply for multiple passes. Registration and payment can be completed online. Alternatively, anyone can apply through the Marie de Bozel https://www.mairiedebozel.fr/2023/10/19/adhesion-alb-saison-2023-2024/ There is a 10 Euro joining fee. Apparently, you can register via e-mail and complete a bank transfer.
snow report
Are we going to set up a 2023/24 thread for the 3V - I’m off to VT and keen to keep an eye on updates! Master of delegation…
snow report
Moorzee10 wrote:
Are we going to set up a 2023/24 thread for the 3V
Done!
latest report
Mike S wrote:
Moorzee10 wrote:
Are we going to set up a 2023/24 thread for the 3V
Done!

Thank you
snow report