Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt hotel location/half board

Poster: A snowHead
I've been reading through earlier posts and getting great information but still have some specific questions. We're planning to go to Zermatt the second week of January. We'd like to find a hotel with a Sunday-to-Sunday week, near a lift good for intermediate/high intermediate skiers, heated ski room would be a big plus, and with half board available. We've been to Zermatt in the summer but this is our first time skiing. This may be a one time splurge so I don't want to screen out by price yet. Any ideas would be welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can recommend the hotel Alpenhof which is run by the Julen family (one of the big Zermatt families).
I personally find staying near (say up to 5 minute walk) to the Sunnegga funi is a good bet as it gets you up the mountain quickest and it's possible to ski back there from anywhere in the resort to give you a short walk at the end of the day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just to add that some of the interesting itinerary runs don't open until later than you are planning to go, so if you had flexibility then a few weeks later may give you more options(although maybe prices higher then)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a word with otp.co.uk - I've used them a couple of times for Zermatt, where they are based.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies. We are constrained to these dates for this year. I was under the impression that the hotels wanted a 7 night stay during the ski season. Is that not correct? Also, how common is half board? In the summer we had to make dinner reservations every night so I thought it might be easier with a half board option. Thank you
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DPL, hotels in Switzerland are usually quite flexible. I‘ve not had issues getting even „awkward“ over-weekend dates so I‘m sure Sun-Sun will be fine. Almost all of them offer a half board option.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As @Gämsbock, says.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cœur des Alpes is fantastic - they don’t do dinner but can book you restaurants nearby
https://e.coeurdesalpes.ch/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some years ago I stayed at the hotel Europe which was nice with good food.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DPL, we are staying yet again at the Hotel La Carronne. On Kirchestrasse. A 80 metre walk to a bus stop.
Decent value for Zermatt and well positioned on the river.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the suggestions. I like DCG's recommendation about staying near the Sunnegga Funicular since that's a quicker way up the mountain. Any other hotel recommendations near there? We stayed at Hotel La Couronne in the summer and liked it very much. I thought there was a ski bus stop right in front of it? I should have paid more attention to the bus stops but we just walked everywhere. Thanks all.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes Ski bus stop right in front, and you will not have noticed the lift from the boot room directly out to river and bus stop level. Apparently a pool is an addition this year also.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
With the bus stop you can choose whichever way up you want. That’s my way of thinking anyhow. Also if it’s a slow way up, get up 10 minutes earlier? Train starts before the lifts.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm booked at the Hotel Butterfly HB for the third week of January (14-21). They do 7 day ski week prices which are really quite afffordable - cheaper than I'd have to pay for a week in a resort in Australia. The Hotel Butterfly is just behind the train station, so near the Gornergrat station and the first stop of the ski buses for the Matterhorn Express.

This will be the seond time I've stayed at the Hotel Butterfly - others I seriously considered were Hotel Bristol and Alpine Hotel Perren. Both do HB ski weeks for very reasonable price (for Zermatt). I think I would have stayed at The Bristol if I hadn't gone back to the Hotel Butterfly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
twoodwar wrote:
With the bus stop you can choose whichever way up you want. That’s my way of thinking anyhow.

Depends which bus stop. Some of the ones alongside the river can lead to you waiting, at the busiest times, for two or three buses before there's one with any space. Sometimes it's quicker to walk. If you're planning to use the bus then the closer to the railway station, i.e. furthest from the KM lift, the better off you are.

Of course one might hope that they'd addressed this issue by modifying routes; it's been a while since I was there so any more up to date info might be useful.

twoodwar wrote:
Also if it’s a slow way up, get up 10 minutes earlier?

Yeah yeah.

The last couple of times I've been there with my wife and wanted to be in town we've stayed at a small hotel called the Weishorn . Small but perfectly formed, and not to be put off by their 1-star rating. Their bar and restaurant is open to the public, but I'm fairly sure they used to do a half-board option for guests.

Staying there you're committed to walking to the lift every morning, but it minimises it to about ten minutes, which is longer than it's going to take by bus from almost anywhere in the village, once you factor in waiting and walking to/from the stop. Touring boot soles help, or get some of those stretchy grippy boot protectors to make the walk less of an issue.

At the other end of the spectrum, we once spent a very pleasant long weekend (ISTR we were there for a BASP first aid course) at the Hotel Julen, Lovely spa, great food, mucho dinari. Also at the KM end of town, but the other side of the river.
latest report
I was tempted to book La Couronne for this Christmas but it was way more expensive than Hotel Excelsior, which was central and convinced us with this review line on Google Maps:
"shuttle around the corner and a ski room accessible from the street".
Last time it was Chalet Schonegg. Too far and above, too expensive but was awesome.
ski holidays
Lots of great ideas, thank you. We did not take the Sunnegga lift in the summer. I just looked at some pictures--how is it for someone with "moderate" claustrophobia? I see that it's only about 5 minutes in the tunnel so maybe not so bad. (And, no, I didn't google Kaprun diaster.)
snow report
We like Hotel Bristol, just over the road from the Couronne. We've stayed at the Couronne too. Our Zermatt experience has been long weekends late Nov/Early Dec. Breakfasts at The Bristol are definitely better than the Couronne.
Hotel Europe, a notch up in general classiness and the wellness area is really good (but be prepared for taking all your togs off for the sauna etc!).
I could be wrong, but most hotels provide half board accommodation once the ski season is in full swing.
snow report
Perty wrote:
(but be prepared for taking all your togs off for the sauna etc!).

That is quite a shock the first time Shocked
snow conditions
@DPL, If you book breakfast at the Gornergrat Hotel you can catch the 8 am train and take your ski gear with you and be on the slopes before anyone else, there is an earlier train but you can't take your ski gear with you, its a while since we did this so you need to check with the hotel also the train times. Can't help with hotels as we have always stayed in an apartment.
snow report
DPL wrote:
Lots of great ideas, thank you. We did not take the Sunnegga lift in the summer. I just looked at some pictures--how is it for someone with "moderate" claustrophobia? I see that it's only about 5 minutes in the tunnel so maybe not so bad. (And, no, I didn't google Kaprun diaster.)

From the street you walk along a tunnel that is about 200 metres long. It has quite a high ceiling (maybe 3-4m) and is wide maybe 4m. I would be surprised if that caused a problem.
The train itself is just like a tube train, only at about 45 deg angle. Again I would be surprised if it caused a problem unless you were very claustrophobic.
latest report
I've not been in that lift, but from experience in e.g. Tignes I can imagine that a funicular might be a very uncomfortable experience for someone with even mild claustrophobia when it's very crowded.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I've not been in that lift, but from experience in e.g. Tignes I can imagine that a funicular might be a very uncomfortable experience for someone with even mild claustrophobia when it's very crowded.

Hard to judge, but I would say that cable cars get more crowded and the funi is composed of lots of "compartments" each of which has standing room for only about 6 or so and you can easily limit the numbers getting into your compartment by blocking the entrance until the doors close. Not that I would do that ...
latest report
I've been in very crowded tube and overground trains, and big conventional cable cars, where I've felt a bit uncomfortable, preferring to stare out of the window if possible. I've travelled on the Sunnegga Express lots of times and felt ok. Overall numbers on each train are controlled by the entrance turnstiles, so it never gets completely packed. And the carriages are quite high inside. But I appreciate it's different for everyone . It does go quite fast, so it's good to get an 'edge' position so you have something to lean against.
snow report
Thanks, everyone, for the helpful ideas and the feedback on the funicular. We're going to assume that it will be ok. If not, we'll go up another way. I appreciate everyone's help.
ski holidays
@DPL, If you do end up staying close to Sunnegga then it's also the best way back down at the end of the day IMO. If you happen to be on Rothorn anyway, then its a no-brainer. There's a track that takes you down from the Patrullarve area to a pedestrian lift (it's by a bar at theend of the piste) and you just take that down to the Sunnegga base station. If you're on Gornergrat then you can ski across via Gant and Blauherd and take the route mentioned above. The other options from there are ski down via Furi to the KM base station (but then you have to queue for the bus) or train down, which is ok. Even from the KM area you can still link across to Sunnegga to avoid the bus (and the flat stretch just before you get to town).
ski holidays
@DCG, this is great information, thank you. Especially with an unfamiliar, big resort, it's easy to make time-consuming wrong turns. Smile
ski holidays
It might also be worth looking at the Perren. Another family run hotel with a similar distance to the Sunegga lift.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DPL, Happy to help. The route i described is very much a personal preference. Most people skiing on KM or Schwarzsee will ski down red 50 from Furi to Zermatt possibly stopping off at Hennu Stall for a beer on the way but you have to pole it towards the end of that run and there can be chaotic queues for the bus at busy times. Mid to late January won't be too busy, so that part ceases to be a problem - but you've still got the bus journey rather than being able to ski back to within walking distance of your hotel.
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:

At the other end of the spectrum, we once spent a very pleasant long weekend (ISTR we were there for a BASP first aid course) at the Hotel Julen, Lovely spa, great food, mucho dinari. Also at the KM end of town, but the other side of the river.

Not stayed there but have eaten in their stubli a number of times. Highly recommended for their BBQ'd lamb
latest report
We tend to stay near-ish to the Gornegrat train station - so that route up is on your doorstep, Sunegga is a short walk/bus away, and it is the first bus stop for the shuttle bus to KM so almost guaranteed a seat. Near to town for an evening stroll too. Most recently we've stayed in the Alpen Resort which has a fantastic new spa area and pool. Also stayed at the Alpenhof which is probably a star higher, great food and really nice overall (although the pool at the Alpen Resort is better)
ski holidays
Thank you, all, now to make some decisions.... Nice problem to have. Smile
ski holidays
Take a look at the hotel Cheminee. It is directly across from the Sunegga lift. Bus stop right outside the front door so access to and from Klein Matterhorn lifts is good. It shows up as a b & b, but I've stayed there with 1/2 board. Solid Swiss 3*. Reasonable rates for Zermatt.
https://www.hotelcheminee.ch/.
snow conditions
Thank you
ski holidays
Another vote for staying near the Sunnegga end of town. We stayed for many years at the Perren but it has now been sold by the family that owned it since the 1930’s. I’ve heard some mixed reports about the new ownership but wouldn’t necessarily rule it out. We’ve stayed at the Chalet hotel Schoenegg which we like very much, and in that same area in addition to the Alpenhof and Cheminee you could also look at the National? All very close to each other but varying price points so you have a good spread of options
latest report
We stayed at and liked hotel Sonne and we are staying at La Ginabelle this season. sonnes rooms were a bit tired and small but the food was flipping fantastic.
Ginabelle is super close to sunnega and the kids ski school dropoff and they had a lot of family friendly rooms if that matters at all.
They were also super flex with our booking.
snow report
More great information, thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
Dontskitheeastskithealps wrote:
We stayed at and liked hotel Sonne and we are staying at La Ginabelle this season. sonnes rooms were a bit tired and small but the food was flipping fantastic.
Ginabelle is super close to sunnega and the kids ski school dropoff and they had a lot of family friendly rooms if that matters at all.
They were also super flex with our booking.

I’ve stayed there a few times and think it’s wonderful.
They did quite a big renovation/expansion just before the pandemic,so maybe you would find the rooms better now.
Only downside is that it’s up quite a steep street that can be icy
latest report
Oh that’s good to know! Thanks!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy