Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Diva or Langley Hotel 2100 Tignes ?

Poster: A snowHead
Just looking for some advice from Tignes regulars.

I'm about to book Tignes for the first week in March 23 and the choice is between the Hotel Diva or Hotel 2100 (owned by Langley's).

Any views/opinions welcome.....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been to the Diva many times and am due to go to Hotel 2100 in Jan for the first time, so can't compare the two hotels from personal experience.

A couple of thoughts:

The Diva is a Belambra (Holiday Club) hotel, which can affect the atmosphere.

I suspect the Langley Hotel will have better food - and has a waiter service at dinner, rather than a self service buffet....which in the era of Covid is preferable to me. I also think it will make more effort than the Diva to accommodate my Vegan Daughter (which wouldn't be hard, despite Diva's assurances).

I can try to answer further questions on the Diva if you have them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag, Thanks for the quick response..

Re the Diva - I have stayed in a few Belambra hotels so know what to expect ! :: Daft check in times (when you are on a 6AM flight out of the UK) ; A bit of a scuffle for the 'Buffet' evening meal...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@albob, Which Belambra Hotels have you stayed in?....and I'll try to compare, if I've been to them. In my case, it was Golf (Arc 1800) and Cachette (Arc 1600).....although there is a similarity (good and bad) across Belambra Hotels.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@albob, no advice to offer on the hotels, but bear in mind the first week of March (ending 5 March) is still French school holidays (Paris zone). The following week will be a lot quieter.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@albob, not stayed at either but eaten at 2100 Langley a few times and it’s been rather good - nice atmosphere in the bar sometimes also
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've stayed in the Langley/Hotel 2100 twice in recent years on a Crystal package holiday. AIUI it's Scandewegian owned/operated, and the staff were all very helpful, although I'm not particulary fussy.

The food is good; It's a fixed 3 course menu each night. You book your table time the night before and they show you tomorrows menu. Dunno what happens if you don't like the menu or have special dietary requirements. The breakfast is self-service, and usually has sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, baked beans in addition to the normal croissants, fruit, ham, cheese, yogurt, muesli and cereals.

Rooms are modern and well equipped, but probably best described as "compact and bijou" - there isn't a huge amount of storage space. There is a lift, but it's usually quicker to walk down the stairs. Walking up the stairs requires contemplation of the pros and cons. The cons being I'm bone idle.

There is a large 'Cheers' style open bar area in the evening, and a reading room/library and a health spa type place on the first floor - can't comment on the latter as didn't use it.

The boot room is quite small and just inside the door from the street, so getting out in the morning can be a bit of a scrum. I'd be worried if I had a pair of expensive skis there in-case they got nicked. I also didn't like the walk up/down the icy high street in ski boots to the start/end of the slopes - but then as I say I am bone idle.

Also didn't like having to walk past the Marmot Arms every morning without going in to check if there were any new beers on tap since the night before. Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 12-10-22 12:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Old Fartbag wrote:
@albob, Which Belambra Hotels have you stayed in?....and I'll try to compare, if I've been to them. In my case, it was Golf (Arc 1800) and Cachette (Arc 1600).....although there is a similarity (good and bad) across Belambra Hotels.

Golf/Aiguille Rouge in Les Arcs ; Terra Nova in La Plagne ; Hotel Le Flaine

===== edit ===

Looks like the Langley one will be the best bet..!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, For some reason 25 feb is cheaper than 4 Mar ...?!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If it's a British tour operator, perhaps because our half terms are mostly before 25 Feb. But it does seem that week ending 5 March is the second of the two Paris half term weeks.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, Yes - Crystal
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
albob wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Golf/Aiguille Rouge in Les Arcs ; Terra Nova in La Plagne ; Hotel Le Flaine

===== edit ===

Looks like the Langley one will be the best bet..!

I would slightly prefer The Golf - but it's academic if going to The Langley.

I will be able to report back in Feb.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Judwin, If the ski racks don't lock - is there a way of securing skis with a robust bicycle lock ie. To a part of the rack?

According to Tripadvisor, the Hotel is willing to accommodate dietary requirements if warned in advance.....hopefully.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old Fartbag wrote:
@Judwin, If the ski racks don't lock - is there a way of securing skis with a robust bicycle lock ie. To a part of the rack?

According to Tripadvisor, the Hotel is willing to accommodate dietary requirements if warned in advance.....hopefully.

Don't know - Some relatives were staying in Residences Village Montana - which is ski-in ski out - so I left my skis and boots there and walked down/up each morning/evening. The boot room was more like a large walk-in cupboard - most people were booting up in the hotel lobby. From what I remember, rooms didn't have their own allocated space in the boot room - it was just a jumble/free for all.

I also can't remember if the evening menu had a choice of two starters, mains and puddings. I think it did, but I might be confusing it with somewhere else I stayed in Val Diz. The restaurant does serve walk in punters, and there is a 'public' menu with lots of choices - including an in-house pizzeria, so I'd be surprised if they didn't cater for veggies, vegans, Viggens and Vulcans. The only time you might struggle is on arrival night if you're late in when obviously they don't know your requirements so you may have to take what's on offer.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Judwin wrote:

Don't know - Some relatives were staying in Residences Village Montana - which is ski-in ski out - so I left my skis and boots there and walked down/up each morning/evening. The boot room was more like a large walk-in cupboard - most people were booting up in the hotel lobby. From what I remember, rooms didn't have their own allocated space in the boot room - it was just a jumble/free for all.

I also can't remember if the evening menu had a choice of two starters, mains and puddings. I think it did, but I might be confusing it with somewhere else I stayed in Val Diz. The restaurant does serve walk in punters, and there is a 'public' menu with lots of choices - including an in-house pizzeria, so I'd be surprised if they didn't cater for veggies, vegans, Viggens and Vulcans. The only time you might struggle is on arrival night if you're late in when obviously they don't know your requirements so you may have to take what's on offer.

Thanks for the reply. My worry is exactly as you have described re the Boot Room....I'll have to figure something out. I usually carry boots to the room, so may have to bring skis up as well if they can't be secured.

Re Food. My understanding is there is still little choice - but the hotel will replace the courses so that they meet with a requested dietary requirement.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 12-10-22 21:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Hmm - got me worried about my Ski's now (I should have a cable lock somewhere....)
snow report
albob wrote:
Hmm - got me worried about my Ski's now (I should have a cable lock somewhere....)

IIRC, When Belambra took over the Diva, one of the good things they did, was to install proper wooden room-based lockable ski lockers.

BTW. Is there much of a price difference between the 2 hotels with Crystal (if that's who you go with)?
snow report
I havent stayed in either, but a few points -

The Langley deffo has a ski/boot room, and it would be a bit of a surprise (given they have ski hire and techs on site and its newly-ish refurbed) that you dont get an allocated cupboard. I am sure an email would answer that.

I have walked past it many times since it was upgraded, and it looks very welcoming and warm in the bar !

Like the tv show says, its Location Location Location and for me Langley is absolutely superb - someone upthread mentioned the Montana as being ski in / out.
I can tell you, as someone who has stayed in the Montana and having been to Tignes 20/25 times that the Langleys location is far better - for ski hire / school, restos, supermarkets, bars and more importantly - the front door is about 50 yards from the ski front in Lac with instant access to Palafour, the Toviere bubble, the beginners stuff, and just a wee push on the skis to access Pacquis / Chaudannes.

The Diva I know nothing about, but it is (iirc) right on the main road into VC. Great for the bus etc, but I dont think it immediately accesses as many amenities as the 2100 for me.

Its a bit of a no brainer unless the cash is massively different.
latest report
@Old Fartbag, "..BTW. Is there much of a price difference between the 2 hotels with Crystal (if that's who you go with)?.."

Not much - about 50 quid

=========== re Balambra ======

When they took over the Terra Nova in La Plagne they also renewed the boot room with proper wooden allocated/lockable ski lockers....

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 12-10-22 21:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
A bit like @GreenDay, I have walked past the 2100 dozens of times (can't imagine why that might be Wink )and seen nothing but happy faces. I've not eaten there but know lots of people who happily have on a walk in basis. The vegan pizzas are quite the thing according a couple I know.

You may have heard stories about the Crystal Palace but that's now fixed...
When 2100 was refurbed the bathrooms were very Scandi, glass walls, not ideal for 2 mates sharing Shocked

I don't know anyone who has stopped in the Diva since the rebrand, before that the buffet was adequate. Some of the views at Diva will have been stolen by the new HMS Club Med. The lake views from 2100 are without parallel, out the back not so great.
latest report
GreenDay wrote:

The Diva I know nothing about, but it is (iirc) right on the main road into VC. Great for the bus etc, but I dont think it immediately accesses as many amenities as the 2100 for me.

Re Diva

To access the slopes - Exit Boot Locker, turn left and take the lift to the upper level. Cross the short covered bridge and take the path down to the lifts.

Skiing Back - You can usually pole back to the Boot Locker door - but it's not much of a walk.

Amenities - There are ski shops almost beside the hotel, as well as a small supermarket. Very close (almost beside the bus stop) is the other lift that takes you up to the middle of the higher level.
snow report
albob wrote:
@Old Fartbag, "..BTW. Is there much of a price difference between the 2 hotels with Crystal (if that's who you go with)?.."

Not much - about 50 quid

When they took over the Terra Nova in La Plagne they also renewed the boot room with proper wooden allocated/lockable ski lockers....

Flying from Dublin, the pricing is interesting and can vary dramatically on certain dates.

Usually The Langley is cheaper - by as much as €300 per person......but that isn't always the case, with the Diva sometimes being cheaper eg. Over New Year, where it is nearly €450 cheaper. Then on other dates, like when you are going, they are very similar.

I would still bring your ski lock if going to the Langley, as everything I have read on Trip adviser has said that skis have no security, other than that on the Outside door.
snow conditions
We have eaten at the Langley a few times. Food was fine and the service good. We had pre-booked.

My son stayed there as part of a stag do group just after the refurb. That was before the glass bathroom partitions got some frosted film added. I vaguely recall that the refurb was somewhat chaotic and rushed after the discovery of asbestos (Chocksaway fact check?) delayed proceedings. One of the lads flooded a room and damaged the ceiling of the room below by simply turning on the shower. Note to plumber.... water will not run uphill to a waste drain outlet.

Location wise? Hard to beat. Bars, restos and ski hire outlets virtually on the doorstop. Snow front, Carrefour Mountain, lifts, ski school meeting point just minutes away.

@Old Fartbag. If your daughter gets desperate for some vegan food you could try Rocco at the Jam Bar. (just down the street). Not ideal I guess if you've paid for food at the Langley. We found them, (Langley), quite accommodating when asked to shuffle menu items around.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 12-10-22 19:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
GeorgeVII wrote:

@Old Fartbag. If your daughter gets desperate for some vegan food you could try Rocco at the Jam Bar. (just down the street). Not ideal I guess if you've paid for food at the Langley. We found them (Langley) quite accomodating when asked to shuffle menu items around.

Many thanks.

There does seem to be options for Vegans dotted about - and we are making a list for lunchtime.

One thing's for sure - they couldn't be worse than the Diva for making an effort.
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, facts checked! 10 out of 10, take a merit slip Laughing
latest report
Ahh, the Diva - didn't realise you were talking about the one up in Val Claret. Yes I've stayed there too, although it was a long time ago (2008 ish).

Food was a self serve buffet. Quality was good, but it did remind me more of a University refectory hall or open plan diner - 3 or 4 long rows of tables. There was a large bar next to the dining hall, with IIRC pool tables. I found the staff Ok, but some of our group did get upset about the lack of child friendly food and had a bit of a run in with the manager over it. The rooms were bigger but less modern than the Langley. I don't remember the boot room - which probably means it was "bog standard" lockers and benches.

Location wise it's ok - right opposite what was the Val Claret open air car park, and along the road from several shops and cafes. But again, not really ski-in ski-out. It's pretty flat there and perhaps 200m from the nearest lift. I don't like anywhere where you have to walk or pole more than 10m in ski boots. It's also further from the night life if that's important to you. However, it did have a (pre-bookable) child care facility if you have kids that are too young to go in ski-school - not sure if it was run by Crystal or the Hotel - they weren't my kids!

As I say that was 15 years ago and things may be different now. But of the two I would choose the Langley Tignes 2100 over the Diva if the prices are similar. It's more of a proper hotel rather than a club hotel.

Another consideration is Val Claret vs Le Lac. IMHO Val Claret is better for beginners and lower intermediates since all the runs back there have blue options. Lac has Trolles/Julian Clary which is black, and it isn't a nice black either at the end of a busy day. Yes you can get the gondola down, but it's supposed to be a ski holiday, not a lift or bus holiday.
ski holidays
Judwin wrote:
I don't remember the boot room - which probably means it was "bog standard" lockers and benches.

IIRC. Back then, each room had an allocated open "slot", with a lock on the end. It was just wide enough to slide the skis in sideways, so they couldn't be removed without opening the lock at the front. It did the job, but the lockers are much better.
latest report
We stayed in the Langley 2100 in January this year, the ski locker area is just sliding heated boot racks on one side and sliding open ski racks on the other, with occasional fun when one side or the other get derailed. Not sure it would be possible to chain skis to the racks, and certainly nothing dedicated per room
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In that case, if I had my own skis I would take them up to the room and just leave the boots on the warmers !
latest report
@Old Fartbag,

Old Fartbag wrote:
albob wrote:

Not much - about 50 quid

Flying from Dublin, the pricing is interesting and can vary dramatically on certain dates.

Usually The Langley is cheaper - by as much as €300 per person......but that isn't always the case, with the Diva sometimes being cheaper eg. Over New Year, where it is nearly €450 cheaper. Then on other dates, like when you are going, they are very similar.........

Crystal's pricing algorithm is interesting.

Practice booking the Diva, the first flight offered is with TUI ; with the Langley, first flight offered is with EasyJet : scroll down to the TUI flight and that is £108 more - so the true price differential between the two is £158..
ski holidays
albob wrote:

Practice booking the Diva, the first flight offered is with TUI ; with the Langley, first flight offered is with EasyJet : scroll down to the TUI flight and that is £108 more - so the true price differential between the two is £158..

EasyJet is pretty expensive for Ski Carriage (£75 @ Belfast).....compared to €56 from TUI Dublin (£48 ) / £50 from TUI London.

Also - a potential small saving....Crystal have the Liftpass @ €360 (on the Irish site) - but it's gone up to €378 in resort.....worth checking (depends on exchange).

Edit. The current Crystal price is £317 (€364 at the current exchange rate) - so a small saving (provided you lock it into the booking...but if the Pound falls further, it will prove better value).

€378 = £328.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy