Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to stop for a break driving to the alps

Poster: A snowHead
We are having to move our holiday into half term. As a result we are moving to self drive instead of the package holidays. Been searching the various threads covering many aspects of this trip (which have been great - got my "duffer" sorted Very Happy ) but one topic I haven't seen too much on is where to stop if you want to split the drive.

We are looking to leave on the Friday. If we were to take the evening trains then we would just drive through the night straight (which we can as we have two doing the driving) hopefully arriving in resort sometime in the morning. I have been looking to see if we could get an earlier train (thus less chaos at Folkestone) and stopping off somewhere to break the journey up. Where does everyone stop? Looking at the journey it feels like you want to get a lot of the way down, I've looked around Annecy / Chambery or Lyon area to see if there is anything available but virtually nothing for a family of 4 without spending £200+ which feels like quite a premium. If you start to move further away then it would mean having to get up fairly early to try and beat the normal mid-morning/afternoon traffic going up the alps.

How do people do it?

(We are heading to Val D'Isere)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Rob_Quads, what about albertville?

we stop there on the way, a few places to eat and a hypermarche to stock up for self catering, we will be doing it this xmas and easter.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Rob_Quads, we regularly stop in Chambery for the Friday night. Try the le Cinq Hotel or the Hotel Kyriad Chambery Centre. Both have family rooms and parking and I would be surprised if you had to pay £200+ unless your trip coincides with the Paris half term too and demand is high. Long drive in one go from Calais for my liking though
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last year en route to Peisey we stayed in the Ibis styles in Albertville which was ideal as it’s right beside the main road through and does a decent breakfast. There is also an ibis budget in Albertville which is cheaper.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah all of the iBis appear to be booked out for families (not surprising given its half term week)

Will go and investigate le Cinq Hotel or the Hotel Kyriad Chambery Centre..... edit Hotel Kyriad £378!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 11-10-22 18:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is about 10 miles past Troyes, and cost us 85E for a double room.Bound to be family rooms. Any good?

https://www.le-val-moret.com

It was recommended off here, and did the job. Parking felt secure, which is always a biggie for us.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Val Moret is terrific but, as you're discovering, all the best places are booked up well in advance for Friday night before half term.

An option is to aim to arrive in resort around 6 pm, after the rush (driving up early morning, unless it's VERY early, is guaranteed to be busy. And normally you don't have access to hour accommodation before about 4 pm.

TBH, there isn't any easy way of getting to a ski resort at half term. Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, Ah, missed the implications of that. Now I am 'free' of schoolie life, such things are banished to the back of my brain!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.le-val-moret.com - no 4 bed rooms left Sad

Yeah we are not surprised to see most booked up. Its been a bit of a last minute change to have to go in half term so not ideal from the planning point of view.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Rob_Quads, do you know where your half term week fits within the French regions? Makes a difference for planning. According to this, the Paris holidays (the worst) are 19 Feb to 5 March https://publicholidays.fr/school-holidays/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Our half term is going away the 11th to the 18th Feb so looks like we will avoid the Paris holidays
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Rob_Quads, Alternatively then, try the hotels such as B&B around Beaune. Far enough away from the resorts to not be considered by Parisians but near enough to drive to the resorts to arrive with ease by early evening (although you don’t say exactly where you are going so difficult to be precise). Nice place for an overnight - wide choice of restaurants and pleasant town centre to stroll around and not such a long drive from Calais. Recommend going from there to Bourg-en-Bresse on motorway and to Chambery on the non-motorway route. After that you’ll have to take your medicine really
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well that helps a lot. Your idea of driving down overnight and arriving early morning might be best, though there are no guarantees about weather, obviously. Barring that, I'd aim to get into France, just drive a couple of hours, have a leisurely overnight, then aim to arrive in resort around 4pm. Or if you can get as far as Troyes, try Western City. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1079890-d7018145-Reviews-Western_City-Barberey_Saint_Sulpice_Troyes_Aube_Grand_Est.html

My son and family have stayed there several times - the kids love it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we normally stay somewhere round dijon check in and straight to bed circa 8pm ish
up at 2am and drive in to resort. That's my general sleep pattern and we ski on the 1st day. At Xmas no one is usually in the appartment so we get given the keys early. That's deffo not the case in Feb though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've stayed at Reims and Troyes in the past. Get to Reims early enough to have a look around.
We stayed in Semur en Auxis this year on way home which was really nice. Stayed here which was lovely. Hôtel de la côte-d'or
ski holidays
@dazzle109, Shirley it's troyes you want to be looking around.
snow report
Ace Hôtel Troyes (Burger King and L'Eclerc 3 mins drive) and La Mirandole Tournus (much further south - McDonalds across road and cheap petrol stations next door) both have family rooms on Fri 10 Feb around 80 Euros.

We stay in both either once or twice a year (usually Tournus on way down and Troyes on way up) - skiing and summer.

Wouldn't hesitate to use either again - clean, near motorway, fit for purpose, cheap.
latest report
Go on Via Michelin and if you select the area you are thinkinhg of staying en route it brings up the hotels and the price per room
snow report
@johnE I don't really remember but I think we've preferred Reims to Troyes. But we may have been at Troyes later and we have to drag a child around moaning about everything which can ruin it Smile
ski holidays
Troyes is quite a bit further on (about 1.5 hours) than Reims. A lot depends on how your kids cope - some will happily sleep in the car, or have no problem with a 10 pm bedtime instead of 7 or 8pm. Others won't. It also matters when you aim to arrive in resort - bearing in mind that on peak weeks, aiming to drive up to your resort during the day can mean spending many hours in traffic jams. If you can't arrive REALLY early (and have planned what to do when you get there, without accommodation) it's best to arrive after 5 pm.

However well thought out your trip, you can hit unexpected hazards (when there are snowploughs out on the motorways in northern France all bets are off) but careful planning is still worthwhile.
snow conditions
As we start from the west country v early for a morning ferry (chance for a break and breakfast/brunch), we stop over night at the ibis chateau gaillard (a bit south of bourgenbresse). Arriving early/mid evening ... not much there but a couple of miles down the road there is a good eatery (Bar 52) and supermarket fuel.
These leaves about 2.5 - 3hrs to bourg st maurice. (Have a check on via michellin) When we were doing the half term trip, just got up early and went to beat the traffic through the valley & breakfast in resort.
IIRC the ibis doesn't have rooms for 4, so we used to split girls/boys when the kids were younger (or a couple of times sneaked in an air bed and sleeping bag to a triple...cramped but budget) and when older adults/kids.
snow conditions
dazzle109, to an oldie it is amazing places get booked up so early - just checked Holiday Inn Express in Dijon for Feb 10th: no availabilty.
So, it seems all the places beside the standard motorway routes will be booked up.
I wonder if it could be different on some of the quieter routes.
We now go the Bourg-en-Bresse route but then take the D1504 to Chambery. Lovely route. Shorter than the motorway so takes about the same time.
Maybe there could be a B&B along the way able to take you in?
latest report
Rob Quads...yes just seen the same myself...all £250+ even for Kyriad Chambery.......supply & demand sadly

might look to scenic route Annecy to Chambery and see whats available
snow report
Troyes is a nice city to stop in and stretch your legs in the evening.
ski holidays
We stay at Bourg-en-bresse or Macon depending on where in the alps we're driving to.
ski holidays
Personally, during the half term scrum, nice as they are I don't think Bourg-en-Bresse , Lyon, Macon, Troyes etc are far enough into the route to be worth it . You're asking for trouble unless you plan to be past the flow control traffic lights at the Tunnel du Siaix before 9am on a transfer Saturday. Therefore, unless you're prepared to get up and be on the road by silly o'clock on Saturday morning, the overnight stop really needs to be somewhere like Albertville for a pre 8am start, or at a push Annecy or Chambery for a pre 7am start. Anything further out than that kind of defeats the purpose of an en-route hotel stop IMHO requiring a pre 6am start.

Of course getting to Albertville, Annecy or Chambery the previous day also requires quite an early start from the UK too - you're likely to need a pre noon Chunnel on the Friday in order to get there at a sensible time in that evening.

You also need to keep an eye on the weather forecast. Any snow/rain/fog on the way up can cause havoc. You might have snow tyres and chains, but will everyone else. It only takes one car rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

Therefore, unless you're prepared to get up and be on the road by silly o'clock on Saturday morning, the overnight stop really needs to be somewhere like Albertville

Not if you are resolved to arrive in resort after 5 pm, when the rush of arrivals has died down, which makes for a far more relaxed journey. Everyone has their own way of doing this. Personally, I'd probably plan to LEAVE resort about 5 or 6 pm too, after a quiet transfer day's skiing, and drive a few hours north prior to having a relaxed dinner and an early night.
snow report
Oh, and Hotels.Com are showing a few options for 10-11th Feb in Annecy for around £120-£140, including the Best Western and the Novotel.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Therefore, unless you're prepared to get up and be on the road by silly o'clock on Saturday morning, the overnight stop really needs to be somewhere like Albertville

Not if you are resolved to arrive in resort after 5 pm, when the rush of arrivals has died down, which makes for a far more relaxed journey. Everyone has their own way of doing this. Personally, I'd probably plan to LEAVE resort about 5 or 6 pm too, after a quiet transfer day's skiing, and drive a few hours north prior to having a relaxed dinner and an early night.

Yeah, but, if you are resolved to arrive in resort after 5 pm then you can do it non-stop from the UK anyway. Get the 6am chunnel, and you can be in resort by 7pm including a couple of pee/fuel/food/shopping stops.
snow report
@Judwin, maybe not quite so straightforward for OP’s half-term factor Crying or Very sad
latest report
Quote:

if you are resolved to arrive in resort after 5 pm then you can do it non-stop from the UK anyway.

Yes, and I've done the journeys both ways non-stop, many times. But not with kids. And not on Saturdays! And I don't like getting up at the silly o'clock needed to be in resort by 7pm. EVERYTHING is more complicated with kids.
snow conditions
@Judwin, I think you're wrong we've left both Bourg-En-Bresse and Macon 0830-0900 last few years and made it to our destination in couple of hours. Unless you're desperate to ski on the Saturday no need to drive further. And after an early start and decent drive through France with kids those locations are plenty far enough.
snow conditions
James77 wrote:
@Judwin, I think you're wrong we've left both Bourg-En-Bresse and Macon 0830-0900 last few years and made it to our destination in couple of hours. Unless you're desperate to ski on the Saturday no need to drive further. And after an early start and decent drive through France with kids those locations are plenty far enough.

On a 'normal' Saturday perhaps. On a Half term Saturday - to Tignes/Val Diz?
ski holidays
@Rob_Quads If this is your first time driving down to the Alps, I've written a blog piece on Self-drive to the Swiss Alps focused on what to organise/do before you leave. Although it's for clients driving to the 4 Vallées a lot of the information and links are generic. You probably have it all covered now, but may be worth a quick look.
latest report
If we are blasting down from a late train to Les Arcs, we stop at Troyes. Not far off the A26. We have used the Hotel B&B the most as there is a restaurant next door but there are other food options like a Buffalo on the same site plus there is a Leclerc for shopping, breakfast stuff as well as fuel. The B&B brekkie wasnt bad though simple but had the usual plus some sausages and scrambled eggs the last time we stayed.
ski holidays
@Rob_Quads, as you'll discover, masses of information and advice (some of it contradictory) available! Choices about travel on ski holidays are never easy. After travelling to and from the Alps by air (Gatwick to Geneva easyJet, one moderately competent adult, hand baggage only, no kids, quiet days, rental car) over the weekend I am quite convinced it would have been more enjoyable to drive door to door in my own car, and not taken that much longer.
snow report
Now we are retired and just because we can here is our itinerary to Belle Plagne for the first day of the season 10th December:-

Wed night - Residhome Reims Centre - for the Christmas market and the champagne
Thurs night - Hotel Belle Époque Beaune - nice meal nearby
Fri night - Hotel le Cinq Chambery - because we used to live in Chambery and miss it
Sat morning - Belle Plagne - ski pm weather permitting or treat lunch at Matafan.

Even when we used to bring the kids we used to take 2 nights to get there and tried to make the journey part of the holiday. When the kids got older they used to fly to Chambery and we would take their gear in the car and pick them up at the airport.

Everyone has their own way of doing things so do what suits you best
snow report
@pam w, you must really love driving. And not have to use the M25 in the UK.
snow report
agreed, if you are travelling down Feb 10/11...you want to be in striking distance of resort.

Personally i d not stay back any further than Chambery......prefer closer but left it too late now

just booked Villa Sully Chambery...£184 for 2 rooms - looks perfectly god enough for an overnight at decent price

Le Cinq Hyper was £400........too much for being there about 12 hours of i ll only be awake for 4!!!..LOL
snow report
@Rob_Quads,
Half-term to the Tarentaise will be busy, and if it snows extremely slow/impossible.
Get as close to Val D'Isere as you can before stopping for the night.
Try & get to Val early to beat the car parking rush
You may also be able to get a day or afternoon up on the (relativel) deserted Saturday slopes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy