Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Member Saying Hi

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowheads! I've been reading the various forums over the past couple weeks before deciding to register and have since also read up about the various snowEvents and accompanying bashes Very Happy. What a great community this looks to be.

I used to ski as a young teenager, with the last trip being out in Samnaun (Switzerland), but have not been on any ski holidays since. So that's almost two decades now! The primary reasons being that I just don't know anyone else who skis, and me and my wife end up doing lots of other summer holiday activities (sailing, scuba, hiking, roadtrips, etc) instead.

Regardless, we've discussed the idea of skiing holidays for years and finally attended a beginner's day course at MK snowzone a couple months back. We finished up the day on 'level 4' and are attending the next adult ski plough to parallel day course next week. My wife absolutely loved her first experience on powder and picked it up very quickly. I clearly had lots of bad habits with one of the most obvious being the subconscious lifting of my outer ski during turns which is probably down to learning on much longer and narrower skis before the modern shorter and wider ski designs became commonplace.

We'll probably continue with a couple more private lessons at Hemel afterwards, but in the mean time we would like to get the ball rolling in booking a ski holiday or two next year. Having looked through the bashes organised by @admin, PreBBWUW10 and S19BB seem the obvious choices for us. But it looks like we're a tad late in joining and that the double rooms are fully booked up now. I also can't quite figure out what the sleeping arrangements would be for the Garni on the PreBBWUW10 and the flexible quad's on the S19BB and whether that would suit us as a couple.

As well as saying 'hi' Very Happy, could I ask for some advice/suggestions/recommendations for a couple to join a group of skiers of similar ability wanting to spend a week or two taking in the delights of some fresh mountain air, powder and apres ski?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 10-10-22 9:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@EViS, Welcome!! snowHead snowHead

Quote:

unconscious lifting of my outer ski

Shocked Shocked

Not a great plan, that Laughing Laughing I am afraid I don't have many great ideas to your query however, but @admin is as helpful as he can be ...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, Hah! Took me a second or two to see what was wrong.

Then again, maybe this is just one of those old exercises that we haven't heard of? wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I also can't quite figure out what the sleeping arrangements would be for the Garni on the PreBBWUW10 and the flexible quad's on the S19BB and whether that would suit us as a couple.

There are doubles available in the Garni which is very close to the main hotel. This is basically used as an annex to the Sporthotel and everyone eats dinner together and has use of the spa etc.

The BB week could be a bit tricky as I don't think that mixed gender triples and quads are a thing but you never know these days wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When it gets down to the last few beds, feel free to self-identify.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@EViS, welcome to SH.

I’d say both the trips would be fine PreBB or BB.

The preBB location is amazing and on the lake. The bar is small but there are a few places local. The skiing is nice for your level and you can always get the gondola down at the end of the day if the long run is a bit too much come 4pm. Happy it may be a bit repetitive though.

The BB IMHO is better once you get a bit more confident on skis. There is more terrain to cover and more restaurants to choose from. However it is hard to get a bad meal on the trip.

I’d say the BB would be a good mix because there are long cruisey blues in Alta Badia that you will love and it is an easy return to Arabba, except the bumpy bit at the end. Over at Belvedere there is a really easy return to Arabba.

The benefit of both these trips is you can spend a couple of days before or after in Venice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@EViS, regarding the Birthday Bash, if you press the button to say you want to go, there's an option for "Only a place in a twin/double". Admin would then contact you if places came up. Of course, if you're a long-term planner, (work leave, family commitments, regional airport flights etc), you might not want this as it may be quite short-notice, however, if you're a "seat-of-the-pants-just-jump-in-the-car" type you won't mind at all.

Might all work out though! There's only 2 people on that list* at the moment. snowHead

*Only people who have pressed the buttons can see it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@EViS, Welcome!! snowHead snowHead

Quote:

unconscious lifting of my outer ski

Shocked Shocked

Not a great plan, that Laughing Laughing I am afraid I don't have many great ideas to your query however, but @admin is as helpful as he can be ...

Hah! Oh dear, that wasn't the wording I was going for Laughing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AL9000 wrote:
When it gets down to the last few beds, feel free to self-identify.

I'm not sure who will feel more uncomfortable - me, my wife or the third snowHead in our room also playing the same game Smile Shocked.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the helpful replies all. To phrase the question another way - would we possibly be better off going on an instruction holiday this year, such as that provided by insideoutskiing or skivolution (as recommended in another thread here) and then join a bash or two next year? Are we likely to benefit more from being instructed on a week's trip (excl. it being a ski holiday in itself) on a real mountain vs lessons at a UK fridge (i.e. Hemel Snow Centre)?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

What a great community this looks to be

You can say that again Madeye-Smiley
Quote:

Welcome to snowHeads.
If you are looking for high quality instruction at bargain price then I would recommend the PreSeason Bash in December (buttons not up yet). Join the group lessons and your skiing will improve dramatically over a week. Of course any lessons you have in the fridge before you go will of benefit.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would normally expect there to be several more Snowheads bashes to be available for the season. I am not sure if they are just slow coming on-line this season or if there is a contraction. You could ask admin.
Yes, you would probably benefit from a holiday with instruction.
Arabba has the Sella Ronda circuit, but the main local skiing back to resort on the Marmolada side doesn't have any easy skiing (all quite tough reds and blacks)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowheid wrote:
Quote:

You can say that again Madeye-Smiley
Quote:

Welcome to snowHeads.
If you are looking for high quality instruction at bargain price then I would recommend the PreSeason Bash in December (buttons not up yet). Join the group lessons and your skiing will improve dramatically over a week. Of course any lessons you have in the fridge before you go will of benefit.

Thanks for the suggestion, we wouldn't be able to make the dates at the start of December, otherwise that would be perfect for us. I wonder whether there will be an option to put a beginner group together for the PiPAU2 the following week?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
EViS wrote:
. I wonder whether there will be an option to put a beginner group together for the PiPAU2 the following week?

Almost certainly if you can recruit the beginners, otherwise probably not much of an option given the likely focus of other attendees
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy