Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New year options...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I may have left it too late, or am being too picky, but I'm trying to squeeze in a trip over new year for the family. Crystal has some 1 week options to places in France/Italy from 27/12-3/1, which JUST about works with school hols, but is too tight a squeeze for Mrs RC.

So I'm looking at doing maybe 5 days, from 28/12-2/1, and that means separate flights, hotel and xfrs. Basic requirements are

- 4 return flights from London with luggage, not outrageously expensive
- decent (3* min standard) hotel with half board and some spa facilities, close to lifts
- good size ski area for intermediates (blacks no problem)
- in a resort that's not TOO small/quiet - at least a few bars and a bit of party atmosphere at new year.
- ideally Austria, Italy or France (in that order)

I actually started looking at places accessible from Turin, as those flights are not too badly priced, but hotel accommodation at resorts like Sauze are very very limited - no great surprise.

So really just looking for any suggestions of resorts that may have more availability, maybe because they don't get block booked by the package operators...? This will be my first attempt at putting something like this together, so appreciate any thoughts you more experienced snowheads have!

Thanks
RC
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
EDIT: dates are now likely to be 26-30/12 (kids want to be back for NY parties) - which looks to open up quite a lot of flight options (VRN/SZG etc) that would come in at a reasonable price. But looking at the mainstream resorts near Salzburg, there's virtually no hotels available Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unfortunately the week before and after NY are vacation weeks for many in AU And CH, on top of being a super desirable week anyway, means you will find it harder. Have you checked sunweb? Is driving an option?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not tried sunweb but will take a look, thanks. Flights really aren't the problem here so don't think we need to drive - it's all about finding a decent hotel with availability...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ratechaser wrote:
EDIT: dates are now likely to be 26-30/12 (kids want to be back for NY parties) - which looks to open up quite a lot of flight options (VRN/SZG etc) that would come in at a reasonable price. But looking at the mainstream resorts near Salzburg, there's virtually no hotels available Crying or Very sad

NY is quite a party in ski resorts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes I know, I've done about 10 New Years in Austria! But kids are getting to an age where they want to party back home with their mates. What can you do...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try booking.com put the dates/filter hotel requirements in and search by map view. You'll get an idea then of what's around and distance to lifts etc. I've used this method a few times when options are likely to be limited.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alasdair.graham wrote:
Try booking.com put the dates/filter hotel requirements in and search by map view. You'll get an idea then of what's around and distance to lifts etc. I've used this method a few times when options are likely to be limited.

Thanks - that's actually been my starting point! I've found one or two places (ironically including a place we stayed at at in Zell before, so that's at least a baseline). I guess the million dollar question is - what am I missing in terms of resorts that I would previously missed as a result of booking through Crystal/Neilson/Inghams... Puzzled

I could of course have started this thread with the title "tell me your favourite ski locations that no one else knows about" - but I'm guessing I wouldn't have got too many replies Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would have a look at Champery (Portes Du Soleil) or Les Diablerets both easily accessible by train from GVA so need to worry about transfers - have done both over NYE for a 4 day break.

If you throw in a car I would say you may get lucky around Demi-Quartier/Combloux (Megeve - and there are deals to be had)or you could stay a bit lower in Sallanches but would have to drive each morning but have access to Les Gets/Les Contamine/Flaine/Megeve and Chamonix all within 30mins
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
extremerob wrote:
I would have a look at Champery (Portes Du Soleil) or Les Diablerets both easily accessible by train from GVA so need to worry about transfers - have done both over NYE for a 4 day break.

If you throw in a car I would say you may get lucky around Demi-Quartier/Combloux (Megeve - and there are deals to be had)or you could stay a bit lower in Sallanches but would have to drive each morning but have access to Les Gets/Les Contamine/Flaine/Megeve and Chamonix all within 30mins

Ooooh, plenty to look at tomorrow morning, thank you!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ratechaser,
The Zillertal valley would probably meet your requirements, good standard of accommodation, lively spots for apres at pretty much any of the ski access points to the skiing, unlimited intermediate skiing and easy to get around.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ratechaser wrote:
e at new year.
- ideally Austria, Italy or France (in that order)
RC

Well for a DIY trip price up flights & transfers. Does that order change?
‘Short’ trip might force you to international airports. So you could look at Much for Austria (why not Garmish in Gemrany?)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy