Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tirol Snowcard - Cheaper for EU Residents Post-Brexit?

Poster: A snowHead
Currently planning as much skiing as possible for 2021-22 and am tentatively looking at the possibility of a season card somewhere.

Although the official Snowcard website makes no reference to who the pass is valid for, the Ski Welt website states as shown below Shocked

Does anyone in the Tirol know if that's correct? I can't see any reference anywhere to alternative pricing for Non-EU residents? Is it another post-Brexit shocker? Confused
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
UPDATE: The conditions of the Snowcard website state as follows on the English version, with no mention of EU Citizens wink

I'm assuming the bit about Tirol residents and students means that they get a reduction, although it doesn't read very clearly in the translated version and there is no mention of such reductions in the price list.

The Snow Card Tirol is basically available to all persons at the regular rate, according to the price list. Persons whose main residence is in Tyrol (proof to be
provided by way of confirmation of registration, not older than 3 months; the confirmation MUST be presented on the same day as the ticket purchase. No card will be issued otherwise), as well as all persons with an employment relationship in Tyrol upon presentation of their social security confirmation (not older than 3 months), and for students of the University of Innsbruck and students of a higher education institution or university of applied sciences resident in Tyrol, upon presentation of current proof of study, entitling them to a reduced rate for the current academic year/semester
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mountainaddict, not sure about the EU citizens bit, but yeah, Tirol residents get discounts on various Tirol ski tickets, but I believe that there is some legislation that prevents this from being openly advertised. You get the reductions with bits of official paperwork and/or knowing the magic words wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Scarlet. Spoke to my bro (previous Snow Card holder) who confirmed that, when he bought one a few years back, all that was needed was a name, a photo and payment.

Hopefully still the same as Mrs MA and I have decided to go for it. We're aiming to buy the Snowcard at Hintertux or Stubai on our week-long trip to Austria from 5th November Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mountainaddict, it's always been cheaper for Tirol residents, nothing to do with Brexit. If I remember correctly Hintertux is cheaper too, not advertised but when we turned up in a Kufstein registered car the guy in the ticket place asked my then landlord if he was resident so they got discount, we as non residents at the time had to pay full price. BTW your trip timing is perfect, tipping down here at 800m, heavy snow up on the tops.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers Chris_n - it just seems a bit odd that Skiwelt references EU citizens...

And yes, we've seen the weather forecast - woo hoo!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict wrote:
Cheers Chris_n - it just seems a bit odd that Skiwelt references EU citizens...

There was just a bit of a hoo-haa at some point due to it being illegal under EU rules to offer discounts for locals or something like that. So as Scarlet says they now just have to be sneaky about how they do it and make sure it looks like all EU citizens are being treated equally wink But there are no requirements for any sort of citizenship or residency to buy it (unlike the Freizeitticket).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
But there are no requirements for any sort of citizenship or residency to buy it
Great stuff clarky999 - thanks for clarifying. Looks like we'll be good to go Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clarky999, you’d think the EU would change a rule so that a discount can apply that encourages locals to stay local. Encourage more sustainable skiing and all that.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tirol Snow Cards purchased last Friday at Stubai. No problems at all Very Happy . Conditions marvellous, wall to wall sun for four days so far and a good time being had by all. Stubai and Pitzal skied so far, Hintertux next.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm also thinking of being in Austria long enough this winter to make it worth buying the Snowcard Very Happy . Does anyone know if the card is valid for public transport in Tyrol? (I know that many of the individual resort passes also cover public transport in the locality)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A US citizen should write in and ask how much they have to pay.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mountainaddict, did you just buy from the ticket office? I was hoping to buy on line and have in my hand prior to 1st lift but seems that's not the way
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mother hucker,
I 'think' you can buy a Voucher on line. my German isn't good enough....

https://snowcard.tirol.at/shop?gotoprod=37
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, you can buy a voucher, but I'm not sure you're gaining anything by doing so as you'll still have to exchange the voucher in resort. It would hold the price at today's rate, I guess (I don't know if there's a risk of price increase), but you've then got a lot of money tied up in a voucher, which isn't always the most sensible idea.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, can I just rock up to any lift station and purchase a season pass?
snow report
Quote:
Did you just buy from the ticket office? I was hoping to buy on line and have in my hand prior to 1st lift but seems that's not the way
Yes - but I didn't look at any online alternative. We purchased in early November at Stubai Glacier. It was all quite straightforward, subject to allowing a bit of time for them to do the admin, take a photo of us using a webcam etc. Nothing untoward and all quite swift.

Even if you have to wait at the ticket window, I think you'll still get enough skiing in before May Laughing It's an absolutely brilliant purchase - we loved it. It's particularly great that you can ski for an hour (or less!) somewhere if you arrive late, or need to be away early, such as going back to an airport.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, we'll be doing some avi training in November on the Stubai Gletscher so sounds like I can just tip up and purchase on the day. all cool
latest report
Mother hucker wrote:
can I just rock up to any lift station and purchase a season pass?

You'll need the main ticket office, but yeah, pretty much. There's a map here of all the places you can buy one https://snowcard.tirol.at/ (scroll down to "Verkaufstellen"). Then it's as @mountainaddict says – takes a bit longer, but you only have to do it once.
snow report
@Scarlet, sound, i was just concerned I'd turn up and it wouldn't be available at that station.
snow conditions
@Mother hucker, seems unlikely, but you can always email and ask.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, yes I've done some reading and all the stations offer the SCT. On another note any restaurants you'd recommend in Innsbruck.
snow conditions
@Mother hucker, anything in particular? Everest and Himal Nepali do a nice curry, and Ludwig’s burgers are pretty good (though reserve a table on the website as it gets busy). Thai Li Ba is a little fancier (and pricier, we use it often for takeaway though). Stiftskeller is ok if you want traditional Austrian (though personally I would save that for mountain huts).
latest report
Quote:
On another note any restaurants you'd recommend in Innsbruck
If cheap, cheerful and pizza is your thing, I can recommend Magic Pizza in the old town. It's about 5 min walk from the Golden Roof.

It's a bit of a cafe in terms of set up (order your pizza at the counter and they page you when it's ready) but all pleasant enough - the pizzas are excellent and unbeatable value. Cheap bottled beer too.
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
On another note any restaurants you'd recommend in Innsbruck
If cheap, cheerful and pizza is your thing, I can recommend Magic Pizza in the old town. It's about 5 min walk from the Golden Roof.

It's a bit of a cafe in terms of set up (order your pizza at the counter and they page you when it's ready) but all pleasant enough - the pizzas are excellent and unbeatable value. Cheap bottled beer too.

Magic is ok for a post-pint(s) slice on the way home (Mama Mia next door is a little better), but for good pizza in Innsbruck you want either Una Pizza or A Casa. Proper Napolitano style pizza and (almost) as good as you'll get in Naples, at the same price point as Magic. Farina Pizza by the Golden Roof in the Old Town is similar quality but double the price (maybe slight exaggeration) because of the location...

For other restaurants: Himal is great for Nepalese (not just the curries; the momos are good too wink ) and Jaipur for Indian, Naked Indigo is my go-to for healthy but tasty veggie&vegan buddha bowl type food, Elfriede mixes Austrian-style mains with a really tasty tapas menu, Zum Wohl Tirol is probably the best for burgers atm, die Wilderin is a little fancier but recommended if you want local organic or hunted meat, Piano Bar and Sitzwohl are also along the lines of 'high end Austrian cuisine', UMAYA is a new and REALLY good/properly authentic Japanese restaurant/izakaya, and I'm told (though haven't been myself) that l'Arc (which styles itself as a 'Mediterranean brasserie') is good too. Or try Machete for burritos/burrito bowls wink
latest report
Mother hucker wrote:
On another note any restaurants you'd recommend in Innsbruck.

Odd, I thought I'd posted this but it doesnt seem to have made it, try again.

This was a few years ago. We had good traditional food in Stiftskeller, its bit of a rabbit warren and busy. We found a table in the basement, friendly service once we found the one (?) friendly waitress. Hearty, reasonably priced fare and variety of schnitzel was ordered. But, and I dont know what the current situation in Austria is, the big shock was the smoking inside especially for the kids who have never experienced that in their lives, I had forgotten how noticeable it was and how very out of place it is now. Also we searched trip advisor for “Best Schnitzel in Innsbruck” and so lunched at the restaurant in Weinhaus Happ hotel just down from the Golden Roof. Looked promising as was populated by more mature well dressed locals rather than obviously tourist. We got lucky and scored the best table in the house, it was in the only bay window there with views up and down the street to the Golden Roof. Better set up for non- smokers as smokers seemed be in another room with the doors closed.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 3-10-22 11:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@ster, No smoking indoors in Austria for the last couple of years, which has been a huge improvement, though it's accepted outside so you can still end up on a table next to smokers (check wind direction wink ).
snow report
Quote:
Magic is ok for a post-pint(s) slice on the way home (Mama Mia next door is a little better), but for good pizza in Innsbruck you want either Una Pizza or A Casa
Sadly, a pre-pizza skinful played no part on my three visits to date - so
that's me told then rolling eyes

What TF do I know eh? Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy