Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year's day in Megeve

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm coming to Megève and St-Gervais on the last week of December and the first week of January. The accommodation is at Le Bettex.
I'm just wondering how many restaurants in downtown Megeve or St-Gervais open on Jan 1st. As I don't plan to ski on Dec 31 and Jan 1. Certain Dec 31 must be busy and open everywhere though.
Could anyone give me a clue what it looks like in downtown??? Thanks so much in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Everywhere will be open both days but I wouldn't be looking for 3am closing, neither are aimed at the young.

If I were you i would be planning how you want to get back to your accommodation after 18.00
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dkimble, everything will be open. If it's like everywhere else, most/many restaurants will be expensive paid reservation for fixed menu only on the 31st ...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And probably busy so book in advance!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dkimble, welcome to the forum. Apologies if you already know the area well, but what @Jonny996 is saying is that Le Bettex is the base of the main St Gervais ski area, at the top of the first gondola. A good spot for getting on the slopes at the first opportunity each morning but not suitable for evenings in the town. The only public transport connection is the gondola, which stops running around 6 pm.

Megeve is the other side of the hill, so easily accessed on skis but not otherwise. And tends to be a notch above St Gervais in price.

There are restaurants at Bettex, and I assume at least those within hotels will be open in the evenings.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks a lot for super quick answer and recommendation.
I'm with 2 teenager boys. Not that young to be party people Laughing my wife and I usually stay in the apartment at night having supper there.
@j b, thanks for advice. Yes, we are renting a car from LYS. We fly from eastern Canada.... Quite familiar with that region, but more to la clusaz and le grandbo. First time to go there in Christmas break. Very excited. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Megeve is the other side of the hill, so easily accessed on skis but not otherwise. And tends to be a notch above St Gervais in price.

When he says a "notch" he means "double". Eating on the St G side is the best geographic arbitrage I've come across! Very Happy
I've had a few holidays based in Bettex. Really like it. The views of Mont Blanc are WONDERFUL. It's a great spot if you like quiet evenings. I believe there is now a really plush spa hotel in St Nicholas which might be good for a special dinner. It's not easy walking distance but the road contours round from Bettex rather than winding down to St G.

This one
https://www.lhw.com/hotel/armancette-chalet-spa-st-gervais-les-bains-france

never been so can't vouch for it!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dkimble, if your plan is to head down for lunch in St Gervais then no problem. Assuming you have a lift pass it is much easier to take the gondola than drive, and plenty of choice of restaurants ranging from a good pizza place to Michelin star fine dining.

I can certainly back up @jedster's recommendation of the views. On a clear day it is glorious to have a window seat (or sit on the terrace) in the Fleche d'Or gazing out on Mont Blanc and watching it change colour as the sun sinks.

While I have also had second-hand reports of the St Nicholas hotel, I think you will find the road a little more steep and winding than @jedster suggests.

As you have already discovered, there are several here who know the area and can answer any questions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

While I have also had second-hand reports of the St Nicholas hotel, I think you will find the road a little more steep and winding than @jedster suggests.

suspect that's true!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jedster wrote:
Quote:

suspect that's true!

If you take the main road from Robinson it's fine, yes it has some bends but its never realy steep or narrow. The other two ways up however..... straight up form St Gervais is a 1 way and in places narrow enough to scrape both wing mirrors. And the little lane form the Les Contamines road, if you are not in something small 4x4 and are used to mountaineering by car, just DON'T.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dkimble wrote:
Hi, I'm coming to Megève and St-Gervais on the last week of December and the first week of January. The accommodation is at Le Bettex.
I'm just wondering how many restaurants in downtown Megeve or St-Gervais open on Jan 1st. As I don't plan to ski on Dec 31 and Jan 1. Certain Dec 31 must be busy and open everywhere though.
Could anyone give me a clue what it looks like in downtown??? Thanks so much in advance.

I will be over on the Rochbrune side of Megeve manning a Patrol Station, come say hi Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Idris, is that a step up from Col du Romme? Or down?

We will be around at least three times during the season, so if we know where to look we could give you a wave.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jedster, just a quick question. I read your comment a few years ago about La Bûche Croisée for your first pick of on the mountain restaurant in les Contamines. Can you please recommend a couple more? Not on Hauteluce side, but Les Contamines side. Thanks

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 7-10-22 23:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
j b wrote:
@Idris, is that a step up from Col du Romme? Or down?

We will be around at least three times during the season, so if we know where to look we could give you a wave.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5017368#5017368 up, hopefully. Will let you know more as things progress
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Idris, looking forwards to your reports. And maybe see you - but hopefully not for rescuing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy