Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Club Med La Plagne Advice please Dec11 -Dec 15 2023

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks everyone so much for answering my earlier thread which saw me looking at the I'll dated Chamonix early season which would not have worked at all.

I'm about to take the plunge and book a v reasonable offer with Club med La Plagne and just wondered if anyone has answers to the following:

1) How snowsure is this resort for my dates?
2) Does anyone know what ski school will ne like early season and do you know the structure am / pm or both?
3) How do I gauge my level. I thoroughly enjoy blues struggle on the moguls and have the odd fall still. Husband good parallel skiing and wants to push for reds. We are both 50 and skied LDA in April 1st time in over 20 years and both are hooked!
4) Should we hire skis and boots via CM and if so at what level does it make any difference if you pay more?
5) It will be day 2 of the season opening when we arrive are there likely to be any festivities on?
6) Anything else we should be aware of about anything CM or La Plagne?

Thanks so much everyone!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My experience with Club Med, albeit many years ago now, is that ski school is 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon.

With regards to the levels, take a look at the videos and level descriptions on the esf website (assuming that it is still esf that provide the lessons). Sounds like you'll both be level 2, but there may well be several level 2 groups, likely based on ability and speed. The instructors will have a look at your skiing and decide which group you should be in. The instructors won't be shy in moving people who are in the wrong group.

IIRC hiring at CM is convenient, but expensive compared to other hire shops. Don't get a high level boot - they will be too stiff. Same with skis. Get a low intermediate ski. Advanced skis will probably be too stiff for you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dobby, all brilliant advice thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fens wrote:
1) How snowsure is this resort for my dates?

In terms of piste skiing - very.

Fens wrote:
5) It will be day 2 of the season opening when we arrive are there likely to be any festivities on?

It will be quiet

Fens wrote:
6) Anything else we should be aware of about anything CM or La Plagne?

You will have a blast I am sure - nothing to sweat on really.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Fens, enjoy! - but do be aware that the Vanoise Express link to Les Arcs won't (well: very, extremely, highly unlikely) be open until after you leave
1st week it never has been. ( I'm on the other side for that week).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Arctic Roll, it won't be I don't think. Les Coches doesn't open until 17th.

Not that I think it will be too much of an issue for the OP.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Layne, @Arctic Roll, thanks both. Double 50th here we come! I'll have a look at piste map and may have some as around the easier and tougher blues that will likely be open. So altitude villages mean CM and upwards?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And to put in perspective we are only there 3 days!! What is OP?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fens wrote:
And to put in perspective we are only there 3 days!! What is OP?

Usually Original Poster, i.e. you in this case
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sources is a red but is one of my personal favourites - it has one steeper section that when busy can cause problems as much from other skiers - but when it's quiet you should be able to get through without too much worry. And the rest of it is lovely.

The blue runs coming off the top of Les Verdons and Grand Rochette are great. If you can handle the red bits of red coming off the top it opens up other blue runs. A bit like above as they aren't busy you can probably handle it.

The blue along the ridge from the top of Becoin will probably be your route home each day and that is a really nice piste to finish with.

The blues from the top of Arpette back to Belle Plagne and Bellecotte are a bit boring to my mind but you my find them a confidence booster on the first day.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Layne, Brilliant ok will keep in mind and thanks@ster, re abbreviation. My most challenging blues at LDA were Jandri 4 as they had huge moguls was really thick snow and really tough on the turn. Amazing to ski from the top of the glacier loved that!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Update on how it went. Well low season in La Plagne, therefore arriving 2nd day into the season 11/12/22 for a double 50th made Club med the right choice. Everything was buzzing in the hotel including the restaurant evening entertainment and the ski in ski out school.Whereas La Plagne Centre was very quiet with empty or closed restaurants and mountain restaurants were closed too. However Club med had entertainment arriving back for lunch great food and atmosphere that made up for the quiet resort. The upside was lifts were quiet. Sun and plenty of snow day 1 however after an overnight dump of snow conditions were challenging. I think we had a powder day! Day 3 conditions were very tough due to low visibility and lots of moguls. Perhaps due to my blue piste capability but working on that. Ski instruction from ESF was v good. Any other questions just ask Eh oh!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy