Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
7ncj wrote:
Richie456 wrote:
We are currently in Avoriaz and conditions have been good to date at high level and in Chatel.

Can anyone advise what it is like in Morzine / Les Gets at the moment. Just wondering if we make the trip tomorrow for some variation! Assuming it is not great, but ….?

Judging solely from what it looked like driving through, agree, I wouldn’t bother.

5th time in Avoriaz (3 at Easter) and looking probable won’t make it to Morzine or Les Gets again Sad

We went across today and had a really good day. No snow in lower slopes by Nyon and others were in good nick. Quite odd using the white lanes lower down for the link lifts through meadows! Glad we went but will stay in Avoriaz and Chatel tomorrow
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Richie456 wrote:
7ncj wrote:
Richie456 wrote:
We are currently in Avoriaz and conditions have been good to date at high level and in Chatel.

Can anyone advise what it is like in Morzine / Les Gets at the moment. Just wondering if we make the trip tomorrow for some variation! Assuming it is not great, but ….?

Judging solely from what it looked like driving through, agree, I wouldn’t bother.

5th time in Avoriaz (3 at Easter) and looking probable won’t make it to Morzine or Les Gets again Sad

We went across today and had a really good day. No snow in lower slopes by Nyon and others were in good nick. Quite odd using the white lanes lower down for the link lifts through meadows! Glad we went but will stay in Avoriaz and Chatel tomorrow

Thanks for letting me know. Tempted to try it tomorrow, as long as it’s snowing there too today. Visibility probably not going to be great today so will stick to known runs,
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chatel village is white this morning and has snowed non-stop for the last few hours.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Gets village covered in the white stuff snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whoop whoop
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cosmetic

Where’s my nice BBQ sunshine?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, indeed..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seems to have stopped snowing now, but looking up at Foilleuse the cloud looks thick enough to cut with a knife, so I don't think we'll be venturing out today. Looking good for the weekend though Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is a little cosmetic but skiable. Thin icy patches intermittently on piste. Some lovely soft snow to the sides though.

Some more is forecast this eve and the quality and amount will make all the difference for the weekend.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@5RED, I can't imagine any gaps or holes have been filled in Shocked => "dust on crust" (if there's even any crust Shocked )

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 7-04-23 12:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
5RED wrote:
It is a little cosmetic but skiable. Thin icy patches intermittently on piste.

Didn't find any ice yesterday, where were you? A few scraped hard areas, sure, but still skiable with a decent edge. I don't describe it as ice unless it's shiny and translucent.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It’s a really nice top up, above Avoriaz and Chatel, had some lovely floaty skiing this morning. Still snowing now. Grateful can hang around and ski tomorrow too. Should be a good one.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@7ncj, so how much fell up high then? I confess I am skeptical ...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
5RED wrote:
It is a little cosmetic but skiable. Thin icy patches intermittently on piste.

Didn't find any ice yesterday, where were you? A few scraped hard areas, sure, but still skiable with a decent edge. I don't describe it as ice unless it's shiny and translucent.

Rainfolly and surrounds. Not glistening ice, just icy! Might try Avoriaz tomorrow for last ski of the season snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’ll take lipstick and mascara any day over what we had earlier in the season. Toofy Grin

Still snowing hard in PLJ and it looks set in for the afternoon. Some good snow up high over frozen skiied-out off-piste but some deeper pockets here and there. Good change on-piste from the hard park we’ve had this week!
snow report
There is a LOT of fresh snow up at the Cornebois - def worth coming up. The cloud comes and goes, and it’s still snowing.
snow conditions
snowfraise wrote:
There is a LOT of fresh snow up at the Cornebois - def worth coming up. The cloud comes and goes, and it’s still snowing.

Amazing! And snowing decently again in Les Gets village right now Smile
snow conditions
Fantastic skiing in Avoriaz and Chantel on Friday. Lots of fresh snow and good off-piste once it cleared.
ski holidays
Great skiing today with @OuatteDePhoque and team. Off piste mostly skied-out but still quite soft with untracked pockets to be found. Amazing week bookended by snowfalls.
snow conditions
@Ozboy, Yeah, we found a few pockets too, up top right of Lindarets was particularly nice, with Cubore being closed so no easy access except by doing a very high traverse. and a few of the lesser-spotted gullies around Happy Valley and across to Plaine Dranse weren't half bad either. Getting gluey on the lower pistes towards the end - nearly fell over my ski tips when I hit the flat run back to the Gabelou lift!
snow conditions
Great day to end a week which surpassed our expectations! Fun up at Fornet more than made up for the gunge at the lower end of the Abricotone! Till next year!! snowHead
latest report
Thinking of coming over to Morzine/Avoriaz for the day tomorrow from Flaine. Just for a change and for old times sake as not been over there for a few years.
It sounds like the snow was pretty good, like over here?
Are there a lot of lifts closed or is it pretty easy to get around?
Got my two teenage daughters with me who don’t like me going off piste so will be mostly on piste - what are the pistes like over there?
ski holidays
@MoiraB, Snow is great and all the main lifts and pistes are open - not an issue, and the teenagers be very happy. Recommend driving to Ardent car park for Linderets. Chatel and Avoriaz really good for April - better than last Easter as it’s colder.
ski holidays
@MoiraB, I'll second @Ozboy,'s comment. The bubble from Ardent is central to the best of the skiing at the moment, half way between Châtel and Fornet, so you can easily access the whole of the open domain. Conditions are indeed excellent.

Lift closures shouldn't be a problem, although as I mentioned the Cubore chair wasn't running today, but that's really not essential, being more of a way to avoid Avoriaz village for skiers going to and from the Swiss side. Speaking of which, some of the Crosets lifts are still running, I noticed Chavanette, coming up over the Swiss Wall, was open but the Grande Conche was not, so you can pop over into CH if you feel so inclined, although it's more sun-facing so probably not got the best skiing. But it's worth it for the view, IMO. Madeye-Smiley

Be aware though that the interactive piste map has been wrong for all of the Swiss side for a couple of weeks, so check other sources, such as https://www.infosnow.ch/~apgmontagne/?id=183&tab=map-wi&lang=de&x=1000 for accurate info.
latest report
@Chaletbeauroc, look, excuse me, but the Daily Mail told me that Alpine skiing was over forever. What are you on about, "Conditions are indeed excellent"

Who am I to believe?
snow report
Thanks folks. Never got there yesterday but making tracks to come today. But just checking all still open - somewhere I have read that closure is 10 April but on PdS it say 23 April.
Is it all still up and running this morning?
latest report
Hi all
Someone told me Torgon is closing and not reopening again, like, ever. I can’t find anything to substantiate this… any truth in it??
snow report
Super- Châtel closed today and I also believe the Swiss stations. Chatel PLJ and link to Avoriaz until 23rd. Lots of good snow on-piste above Plane Dranse and Linderets which should see out the season.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Gets - Morzine last day today.
latest report
Just heading home after a cracking easter weekend. My daughters have been out all week and have done loads. Les Gets was a revelation yesterday - hard snow in the morning but softened up nicely later. And there was almost nobody there! We had Les Creux off Chamossiere literally to ourselves. Avoriaz and PlJ/Linga excellent too.
snow conditions
Yes I finally made it over too. It was lovely to revisit old familiar slopes! We got into Switzerland briefly though the snow there was less good and enjoyed some lovely runs down from Cases and also at the far side of Avoriaz.
Thanks for all the advice!
latest report
Missy wrote:
Hi all
Someone told me Torgon is closing and not reopening again, like, ever. I can’t find anything to substantiate this… any truth in it??

Partly true as I believe the Torgon lift company no longer operates and the Châtel / Swiss company (who run Chalet Neuf area) has taken over operating the area as it’s a vital link for La Chapelle to the PDS.
ski holidays
Nyon was bloody lovely on Saturday - we had powder on pistes! So lovely so see the season end well and a bloody good Aperol at the Chalet Du Nyon restaurant- nice to see that place get sorted.
latest report
Epic conditions today from Lindarets upwards. No one around and bundles of fresh stuff. There was probably 30cms just sitting on top of pistes - no need to venture far for fresh tracks. Laps of certain chairs and I didn't see another soul. The season isn't done yet!
ski holidays
I think I went home after my first season around April 7 (1989) and was most unhappy to see vids of some of my co workers ripping 30-40 cms of snow down into Lindarets following my departure.

Feels like this season has had an not dissimilar cadence to 88-89?
latest report
@fatmansan, +1
Visibilty not awesome on Saturday, but deep fresh snow all over. Mainly did around Lindarets because you can see in the trees.
Sunday the snow was a smidge heavier, but heaps of untracked stuff, and you could actually see where you were going - which was nice.
Great stuff on and to both sides of the Chaux Fleurie red, Rochassons, Happy Valley (obviously). Looks like it'll hold up for the closure and beers at Chez Flo.
snow conditions
They think it's all over..... well Saturday still had good conditions on piste (a bit mushy off the sides), and Sunday was nice until it rained Smile
Now to start some posts about whether to clean the blue thread locker paste off the binding screws with diluted vinegar and then acetone before storing them over the in a jar over the winter or just leaving them in cooking oil in a jar as that too will soften up the thread locker, and cleaning them before re-use next November. Smile
ski holidays
@OuatteDePhoque, Depends. Are you using sunflower or extra-virgin olive oil?

Yes, conditions on piste were pretty good, actually, but after a couple of attempts I gave up even trying the edge-piste, so sticky you could hardly move.
snow report
A question for those with a bit of local knowledge....

Looking to come to Avoriaz for the opening weekend. I see that slopes/lifts open in Friday 15th December, but we are looking to arrive on Thursday 14th, and I have not been able to find anywhere if Prodains Express will be running on that day or not - trying to find out to sort transfers, as if its not, will have to sort one to the top rather than getting a but to Prodains and up that way. Does it operate every day regardless, or are there times it does not run at all?
latest report
So normally Avoriaz opens before the wider PdS.
Normally Avoriaz would open around w/e 9th/10th and will be only a limited opening. (With the link to pre la joux open from Sat 9th).
Then from w/e 15th Dec the links to Les Crossets would open.
I’d wait and see what info is posted in the Autumn.
Once the Prodains express does open for the winter it’s timetable is like this.
Monday to Thursday open until 9pm
Fri and Saturday open until Midnight
Sunday open until 10pm.

It starts running every morning at 9am.

https://www.skipass-avoriaz.com/en/infos/horaires
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy