Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
The view on Les Gets village is rain-sodden this morning after torrential rain through last night. Large puddles visible on webcams around Chavannes.

Any news on how Avoriaz / Lindarets slopes are holding up? Webcams there are poor quality. Worth driving to Ardent if anything skiable around there?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would. Nothing to lose.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wednesday into thurs 2000m snowline was mentioned a few times, soggy mess below was inevitable. That hopefully is the worst of it out of the way.

Tomorrow will see the big change in fortune. Guys at wepowder have issued a powder alert, and also mentioned the change in track to NW for the friday low, making a 5c cooler difference....which is exceptional at such a short timeframe, but has happened for the second time in a week.....first one last week went +5 above expected.

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/288417

Still some uncertainty about a brief warm up on Sat morning. GFS has a spike to 2000m, while WRF keeps it near 1400m, Arpege 1800m. Either way it's going to rain all day at village level, but will be heavy snow in Avoriaz and most likely down to 1400m.

ECM ensembles keep the mean temps at 1500m near zero on Sat, starting below and warming up steadily into sunday. But what's interesting about this chart is the spread of ensemble temps on Sat (-5 to +5), is much wider than sun-mon. So there is more uncertainty at day 3 than day 4.
What's been clear for a while is the huge amount of ppn. On the lower line it looks relentless, from fri morning thru to sunday morning.

Not much clarity for tuesday either. Probably going to start with a high snowline 1800, before quickly dropping to valleys.

But even the 2 generally most accurate models (UKMO and ECM) have vastly different Op runs, seen below. Unfortunately ECM persistent with much milder outcome (lunch time tuesday)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We arrived yesterday after much travel chaos with part of our group, on an early morning flight from Bristol, getting diverted mid-flight to Lyon at midnight after waiting all day for their flight to leave. They chose to get a taxi to Châtel, instead of waiting hours for coaches back to GVA from EZ to materialise, which is €670 on the meter!!

We are here until Sunday and off towards Avoriaz today and will report on conditions later after our slow start.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ozboy, One of my sons lives in Lyon. Now I know how much I should charge him each I go down there for something Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@OuatteDePhoque, No family rates?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@elefantfresh, The last few have been Free - but after he graduates and gets a job, I'll bring up this €670 figure as a basis for negotiation Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very heavy going today - we started Linga and zig-zagged our way to goat village. Lots of heavy moguls - waterlogged after yeaterday’s snow>rain event. Moderate wind and clouds staring to come over.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
as I thought the heavily compacted pistes survived low down in Les Gets whilst the areas outside are now bare.

http://youtube.com/v/QnaiEO4wuAA
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ozboy, thanks for the update. I've opted to catch up on some emails instead of heading out today, If the forecasts are to be believed those clouds are bringing snow. I've got everything crossed for that to be true!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Better than expected for me today in Avoriaz.
Nice under Choucas, and also Cases over on the Lindarets side. Lindarets bowl in particular seemed to catch a bit more snow and a bit less rain, with only the last bit of the Cases red mushy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Will keep positive, managed 30 miles around les gets today in various forms of piste but overall would say it’s “hanging on”. Big couple of days and of snow arrives be fine through rest of March.
Had 5 great days (4 bluebird, 1 soaked) but can’t complain.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Up high it is still OK. Abricotine really quite nice all the way to Brocheaux, we did it twice coming back from the Swiss side.

Low runs certainly chopped up.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone knows if it's possible to get a ticket for a single Rock the Pistes that doesn't include a whole PDS ski pass (we already have ski passes)? Tempted to hop to Chavannes LG on Sunday.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ozboy wrote:
Very heavy going today - we started Linga and zig-zagged our way to goat village. Lots of heavy moguls - waterlogged after yeaterday’s snow>rain event. Moderate wind and clouds staring to come over.

Agree it was not pleasant skiing, way too much collision risk for my liking. Down to Chatel, green runs closed so beginners forced onto reds with inevitable consequences. Gave up at lunchtime and had a pleasant sunny lunch in the goat village.
snow report
@patrick!, Not quite sure what you mean, if you've already got ski passes then you don't need any other ticket. The concerts themselves are free.
snow conditions
5RED wrote:
Ozboy wrote:

Agree it was not pleasant skiing, way too much collision risk for my liking. Down to Chatel, green runs closed so beginners forced onto reds with inevitable consequences. Gave up at lunchtime and had a pleasant sunny lunch in the goat village.

Top half of Belette (green run down the road from Plaine Dranse) was open, only the bottom section closed and the bottom part of the red piste is barely blue standard. But yes collision risk was high, not helped by those who can ski fast but unable to ski slowly in control.
snow report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@patrick!, Not quite sure what you mean, if you've already got ski passes then you don't need any other ticket. The concerts themselves are free.
Oh - cool, thanks! Now quite chuffed the opening has been moved to our side (LG)!
snow conditions
DJL wrote:
5RED wrote:
Ozboy wrote:

Top half of Belette (green run down the road from Plaine Dranse) was open, only the bottom section closed and the bottom part of the red piste is barely blue standard. But yes collision risk was high, not helped by those who can ski fast but unable to ski slowly in control.

Only problem area was run down to Linderets but other than that was usual scenario of intermediates struggling on the steeper mogulled runs.
snow report
We had a pretty enjoyable day on the sector between Plaine Dranse and Linga, but we barely ventured lower than Plaine Dranse. Pleasantly surprised by the snow, although everything did get very mogulled - we've all improved our mogul technique no end today, and have now got very tired legs!
latest report
I am now more optimistic about coming out tomorrow. I am now confident we will have something to ski on and ski school in les gets for the kids should be okay as they are all flocon up to 3 etoile so will be up the mountain
snow report
Woken by heavy rain at 0100, then it stopped I think and now just on the point of turning to sleet at 1300m. Imagine there will be plenty of snow up high.
latest report
Left for airport at 7, absolutely hammering down with rain in les gets. Fingers crossed for higher up but doesn’t feel that cold and trees didn’t look snowy from what could see. Flight 2 hour delay already so happy Friday….
latest report
rinky75 wrote:
Left for airport at 7, absolutely hammering down with rain in les gets. Fingers crossed for higher up but doesn’t feel that cold and trees didn’t look snowy from what could see. Flight 2 hour delay already so happy Friday….

2 hour delay all you need, we’re flying this evening so hope they catch up!

I don’t fancy a soaking getting up the mountain to spend a morning wet cold and zero viz so think we will potter, sort out the apartment and head down to the airport early.

Enjoy the fresh guys, hopefully sun will follow the deluge.
snow report
@DJL, Starting to clear up now. Looks like theres fresh stuff at St Jean, so the Col de Graydon powder field beckons as it takes a while before it gets tracked out.
snow conditions
Some new snow in Avoriaz as well, although it's white windy.
snow conditions
Snowline only starting to drop now, should be down to 1300m soon this morning and staying low all day. Tomorrow still huge uncertainty despite what some popular publications are saying, it’s possible it might stay around 1700m (GFS) which would be useless for M/LG. On the other hand WRF has 1200m all day, so 500m difference in just 24 hours time.

Unfortunately it’s going to rise very early in the morning, pre lifts, so all the nice overnight snow will be getting wet lower down. Sunday will be good for Rock the pistes, great to see it come to Chavannes, first time I think.
And Tuesday still looks good for low level snow, although GFS is probably over excited (vs others)
ski holidays
We drove to Verbier this morning and it was snowing heavily when we went over Pas de
Morgins at 1400m. It was sleeting at home at 1260m.

It’s now showing as we go up gondola from Le Chable below Verbier village.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy, Have a great day up there mate - please report back on the home run to Medran, as thinking of popping over on Sunday.
ski holidays
@OuatteDePhoque, Couple of inches of fresh on the cartrack to village and 30cms lots of fresh snow at the top.
ski holidays
OuatteDePhoque wrote:
@DJL, Starting to clear up now. Looks like theres fresh stuff at St Jean, so the Col de Graydon powder field beckons as it takes a while before it gets tracked out.

Whilst I really like the Col de Graydon, now is not the time to ski it. There really isn’t a base. The exit would be a total nightmare.

There is so little open now at the Grande Turche that the lifties are working a four day week, the extra day off unpaid. Not easy, on their money.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 10-03-23 13:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Lots of lifts closed today but made it to Lindarets via Super M. Windy up top, and still snowing lightly down to just above Ardent car park. Star Wars run down to Ardent is lovely today - but have a mate’s tired daughter with us so there will be a lot of café stops…

Chaux Fleurie and Cases closed so we’re just going to do a few laps in the trees.
latest report
Arrived at Ardents car park 9:30ish in the rain, practically empty of cars. Rain turned to snow at the top of the bubble, and what a difference a bit of snow has made to the "look" of the valley - no green on show. Unfortunately wind has closed lots of lifts - Mossettes, Cases, Chaux Fleurie in Lindarets; Stade, Lac Intrets, Grandes Combes and all of Fornet bowl in Avoriaz. Not many people out, but some of the runs felt busy because of the limited access. Lots of beginners, poor visibility and soft snow caused chaos in some places.

The fresh snow up high is great, with some off-piste skiable in the trees, but the pistes have suffered in places from the rain yesterday with the base feeling quite slushy, and gets sticky lower down. Its almost like spring skiing, but without the sunshine. If the higher lifts open tomorrow, the snow up top will be amazing.
snow report
@rondo101, windy again tomorrow I think? Maybe not as strong as today but still blowy.
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:
@rondo101, windy again tomorrow I think? Maybe not as strong as today but still blowy.

Lower winds, but no idea if still too high for some lifts. I'll be on the first bubble up to find out!
ski holidays
Sounds like I didn’t miss much today. Currently sat at GVA with a 90 minute delay. We should have been in the air by now but the inbound plane is still somewhere just south of Dijon.
ski holidays
Currently snowing heavily in Châtel snowHead
latest report
snow settling as expected below 1200 now, but who knows how far up it will rain tomorrow morning....most models point to 1600-1800 but WRF sticking with 1200. Must be right on the border of mild air to the south. ECM has corrected back towards the other models for tuesday, not entirely, but getting cooler on each run. GFS mean has tues 9 degrees colder than tomorrow at 1500m, +3 sat vs -6 on tues - wed. Will start higher, but by lunchtime tues it should be turning much colder
snow report
Fine snow falling fast in Les Gets
latest report
Woken to sound of avalanche bombs ans around 10 cms of wet and heave snow settled on balcony in Châtel. Most of Châtel looks open and on our way to Linga to start our day.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy