Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
@denfinella,

It looks pretty wet to me at the moment!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@denfinella,

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@@247snowman,

I’ve never seen Super Morzine bubble open before the Xmas week. They will run the Prolays chair (top chair on Super M) for the ski schools before then but I think you’ll have to go up to Avoriaz via Prodain or Ardent.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
zzz wrote:
@denfinella,

The forecast or the current weather?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@zzz, Super M was open on 10/12 last year and I think there’s a chance it’ll open on 9/12 this year

- there’s a new (to me) webcam at the top of the Zore chair and it looks pretty reasonable up there (see photo from today) - admittedly that’s the top of the chair so the bottom may be more marginal, but the snow was ok(ish) at 1500m last weekend.

I assume you mean Proclou btw - that’s the chair that goes over the golf course up to the ridge overlooking Lindarets and serves the beginners’ run and the baby stash - Prolays comes up from Lindarets to higher up the same ridge.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was never very good with the chairlift names. Must be my age. Eh oh! . Last year was an exceptional year, well an exceptional December anyway. I'd imagine they'll have to download on the Zores chair (if that's what it's called) if Super M does indeed open next weekend. However they seem able to do miracles with little snow, so who knows?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@zzz, we were trying to remember if there’s any snowmaking kit down near the Super M top station - there’s some hints of some lower altitude snow this week so I think there might be a chance it’ll open. Can’t see any point downloading people on Zore - if nothing else it’d be a right faff walking back up to the gondola! I think if if it’s not skiable then it’s Prodains or Ardent, as you said.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@zzz,
Thanks for the info.

That makes sense as Super M always closes a week or two before the end of the season too.

I used to live there but cannot remember venturing towards Super M’ way this early in the season.

P.S.

I think you mean Proclou. (For ski schools).

I always used to get the names of Proclou and Prolays mixed up.

The way I now remember is hit the ‘side hits’ of…………. ‘Prolays for days’.

(Laps of Prolays jumps….although I’m to old to to hang out with the seasonaire kids on Prolays).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@andy from embsay,
Yes, there is snowmaking on Super M but with the South facing aspect it doesn't generally last long. As you say, it does look like some decent snow for 1500m ish next week so hopefully that will sort out the problem.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@denfinella,
Forecast, but it's changed again to cooler. Who knows,..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@zzz, yes, all a bit uncertain at the moment. 1500m+ should definitely improve significantly over the next 10 days but hard to tell for 1000-1500m!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone been up to Avoriaz today?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
were in Morzine 23rd Dec, we are fairly new in the snow scene. going to hold out and wait to see the snow coverage before buying ski lift passes. hoping to be able to ski in the Pleney/Nyon/Les Gets areas! don't really want to be having to pay extra to ski in Avoriaz. Son has lessons with ESF Morzine as well, guess they will sort something if not much ski coerce at the town level?? all very excited here!! any tips for first timers in the area??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Where are you staying @billy lale? Where you ski and how convenient it is to get to lessons is quite location dependent.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
staying in a chalet on Rue de Marnez in Morzine. looks like a 10-15 mins walk from Pleney lift or a few mins on bus.
latest report
Not sure where that is or which bus route it’s on - if your lad is booked with Morzine ESF they’ll probably meet at either the top or bottom of Pleney. I think you can rent ski lockers at the bottom of pleney to avoid trucking skis and boots back and forth. EDIT: Found it! It’s out towards Nyon so on the E and N routes - not a great walk to or from Pleney in boots so a locker would make sense.

If he’s having lessons every day then you’re likely to have to stick to the Pleney side, but depending on your standard you might like to have a day or two at Avoriaz so maybe buy Les Gets passes for the first few days then leave the option to buy Avoriaz for a couple - there’s a lot to go at even just on the Avoriaz pass and it’s generally higher than most of the Morzine/Les Gets side so can be more reliable early season.
ski holidays
@billy lale,

Route de Mernaz is Above route de la Manche.

Your chalet will be not far from Nyon cable car. And the free buses that run to Nyon and also up to Egrine (Egrine is at the dead end of the Valley de la Manche).

‘E’ bud and ‘N’ bus.

https://www.morzine-avoriaz.com/medias/documents/documentation/documentation-29NAVETTE-FR.pdf

Village Map.

https://www.morzine-avoriaz.com/medias/documents/documentation/documentation-20PLANVILLAG-FR.pdf

Top tip.
Give your self extra time to get to ski school.
snow report
Thanks! We are getting ski gear though Mathias Sports (as it stands) and they have storage there so will walk in normal footwear to/from the town. Because the boy is in ski school between 11-1pm Thiught we would just stay local in and around Morzine/Les gets in order to be able to pick him up easily. Beginners to skiing, albeit lessons in dry slope, so think the local pass will suit us for 6 days
snow conditions
Having worked out roughly where you are I think you’re right to leave your clobber in town. Even in trainers that’s a bit of a walk but as you’re on two bus routes you shouldn’t struggle other than in the evening - although you could get back to Nyon from Pleney by skiing down a steady blue run to the Pré Favre chair, and that takes you to the plateau and the cablecar.
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:
Having worked out roughly where you are I think you’re right to leave your clobber in town. Even in trainers that’s a bit of a walk but as you’re on two bus routes you shouldn’t struggle other than in the evening - although you could get back to Nyon from Pleney by skiing down a steady blue run to the Pré Favre chair, and that takes you to the plateau and the cablecar.

thanks Andy. Yes not too far from bust stop. defo will be leaving things in town or night, especially with a 7 y/o! If we ski Nyon we can have the stuff at the house until the morning. very much look forward to skiing there for the first time as a family. just hope there is plenty of snow on the slopes in 3 weeks, even though they may be none at all in the town. will wait for a few days before before we buy our lift passes online for Morzine/Les Gets area. if not much snow, will have to commit to PdS Pass and ski Avoriaz (i guess?!)
snow conditions
There’s enough snow to get by on higher up already, @billy lale - anything above about 1500m (about the top of Pleney) is ok (certainly for lessons etc). And to my amateurish eyes there looks to be an unsettled (and colder) spell on the way - @polo will be able to confirm! I’m sure you’ll be ok by xmas week. It’s just a bit sparse compared with last year when there was a massive dump the first week of December and the LG side opened early.
snow report
Can someone please recommend a ski hire shop in Les Gets? We’ve just booked a long weekend with our teenage boys in January. Staying at the Chamois d’Or which is a short walk from the front neige. Thanks
snow report
@franga, I always use Sports2000 (Rue de Centre). Always a friendly service and you can leave your skis/boots there overnight in a warm room. It saves you carrying them around and about, and they're about 1 minutes from the Chavannes lifts.
snow conditions
thank you @andy (sorry not sure how to tag you properly)
ski holidays
@billy lale, just tap on the poster’s name you want to tag on the left of the page.
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, thanks!
ski holidays
Avoriaz was nice this weekend.....snow better than I expected, firm pistes but not icy, and variable off piste, mixture of hard tracked out crud and some pockets of soft / fresh

Prodains was full early this morning, but lift queues were not an issue, some non existant, others 2mins wait. More worryingly saw 2 nasty car crashes within 200m on the drive down to St jean D'aulps, multiple fire engines, gendarme....at least 2 cars written off.

Forecast, haven't caught up on latest model gyrations, but in my mind nothing has changed....about 10cm tomorrow to 1200m, and then more significant action next weekend, 9-12th, should get at least 30cm, mostly above 1400m.
latest report
@franga, Chamois d'Or bar is the new ex pat hangout, nice spot, great staff....had a drink with the owner Pete last night, will probably pop in every weekend now.
Plenty of ski hire choices, as mentioned we always use Vermont but it's at the other end of town for you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@polo, if there’s a bit down to 12-1400m that should help with getting Super Morzine open at the weekend, maybe.
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, it gets colder into sunday / monday, but might not drop quick enough for skiable snow at 1000m by weekend. Still plently of time for swings by a few hundred meters either way, but often models will correct the pattern further south as t0 approaches, so with Haute Savoie on the borderline of cold / mild air we could do with a further push south in the pattern (all the deep cold is further north)
snow report
Super M top station is at about 1450m I think? Just pondering if there’s likely to be enough snow to open up the gondola as an alternative way home!
ski holidays
@andy from embsay,

Boy are you keen to use the Super M bubble! You do realise there’s a bar at the bottom of Prodains and Ardent too wink ?
snow conditions
Actually @zzz not particularly, just another way to come home. They’re combining the bus past ours with the A bus next week so no need for “double bussing” that we usually have to do to/from Prodains - but I do quite like a beer at the Grenouille on the way back!
ski holidays
So we went to Avo today and as noted above, it wasn't that busy (apart maybe from queues to get passed but that's my fault for not doing it online). The snow on pistes was a pleasure, off piste a bit scary as I really can't follow our big boy anymore!
latest report
@patrick!, nice to be in avoriaz on a clear day, most of the time I’m there it’s either snowing or low viz.

Passes…am amazed how smooth it is, I renewed mine online in April, walk up first day 8 months later and they work. Don’t know why I expect anything else, but there is always the worry I’ve loaded onto an old card or something.
latest report
Snow down to below 1000m last night., great to see all the villages white again. Checking the webcam I noticed one of the pisteur trucks had to be dug out, just shows it can happen to anyone

snow conditions
@polo, yep, good to see snow in our garden for the first time this winter. Not sure how long it’ll stick around for!
ski holidays
Hi All, been to PdS many times but only stayed in Morzine and LG. Looking at Chatel/ Avoriaz as options.

Only skied down to Super Chatel once so just wondering how much of a schlep it is skiing out of Chatel into the wider PdS and is there a big risk of lift closure anxiety getting back in the afternoon?! Is a bus to Linga a better way to start the day?

Trip is for 4 nights and hoping to fly/ ski on both transfer days (hiring car). How much of a ball ache is the parking and getting to accommodation in Avoriaz?

Thanks
snow report
There are lots of options from Châtel, none of them particularly problematic, but yes, to get back into the Avoriaz area you'll be best getting a bus, either straight to Linga or to the Gabelou lift at the top of the village which then drops you into the Linga area. You can also start at SuperChâtel to access Gabelou without the bus, but it will take longer on the lifts with only a tiny bit of skiing if you take the most direct route.

Access in the other direction involves three or four lifts to get across to Morgins from SC, thence easy access to Champoussin and Champéry.

But don't forget to stop and appreciate what you have on all those areas rather than just rushing to get back into more familiar territory. It's easy to miss out a lot if you're too focussed on travel. For example there's plenty of good varied skiing for all levels just in the SuperChâtel-Abondance-Torgons area, worth at least two or three days exploration in its own right. Similarly there's a lot of nice skiing on the Swiss side that too many people don't really know about or notice on their frantic mission to get somewhere.

Edit: Forgot to say there's also a bus service all the way to Pré le Joux, lift straight up to Plaine Dranse.
latest report
@Chaletbeauroc, thanks for that, good info!

Yes, I guess I'm a bit blinkered to getting back into the usual stomping grounds but it may be an opportunity to explore a bit further. Usually nip over to Les Crosets on Swiss side but not really been any further so some new ground to cover may be interesting.

I'm afraid I am a bit of a let's see how far and back we can get and merchant, although also known to go round a few times if we find a particularly suitable run!

What are the buses round Chatel like? Apartment I have in mind is on Rue de Roitet, behind Hotel Edelweiss which looks a bit of a trek to the gondola on foot. Are there ski lockers at SC? Might be more manageable in street shoes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy