Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
@@247snowman, Perfect, thanks.

Just booked with Skimium Montagne at Ardent and took advantage of their Black Friday offer!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andy from embsay wrote:
We were up there too @patrick!, a very slow slog up to the top of Nauchets and an enjoyable but crusty ski back down.
Very likely no early opening this year so we'll probably switch to alpine, and La Clusaz, next weekend...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We’re back out on 10/12 for Avoriaz and Pleine Dranse opening up. Not looking likely they’ll be opening Les Gets before 16th/17th is it?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Confirmation they’re opening up in Avoriaz next weekend; https://www.skipass-avoriaz.com/pre-ouverture
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@andy from embsay, just came here to post that too.

Looks like there’s quite a bit more snow due lower down in Les Gets/Morzine this week too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Timmycb5, who's forecasting that?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey guys, any of you been in early December? Never been so want to make sure its pretty snow sure?
Also what's the night life like?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, actually, on further inspection "quite a bit" might be doing some heavy lifting Laughing

I was looking at snow-forecast and the jet2ski sites. I can't make head nor tail of proper meteorological forecasts, so normally rely on dumbed down versions like these, but they're normally fairly good.

The forecast is only for about 5cm in between now and Wednesday. That'll teach me to just glance at something without looking at it properly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Lancer26, where are you going? As Andy posted above, Avoriaz have confirmed opening this Saturday as they've had about 60cm. It'll be touch and go lower down.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Lancer26, Avoriaz is absolutely fine at the moment - lower down it’s all a bit green. If you can stay above about 1600m I think you’ll be ok. Photo is at the top of Arare yesterday.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy from embsay wrote:
Confirmation they’re opening up in Avoriaz next weekend; https://www.skipass-avoriaz.com/pre-ouverture
Aaaaah... decisions, decisions... there's also the ski test the following w/e...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Lancer26,

Yes, been out lots in early Dec and used to live there.

Avoriaz and parts of Chatel open continuously for the season from 9th December.

It’s the North facing parts that will be pisted so in Avoriaz, Arare, maybe Fornet bowl, Linderets and hopefully the runs down to Ardent and Prodains.

In Chatel sector Pre La Joux and maybe Linga.

Pistes will be ok. Off piste not filled in yet so forget about off piste.

More of the ski area will be open from the 17th Dec.

Temps look ok to 10th Dec. Not sure on forecast after that. Worst thing would be it warms up around the 10th and rains for a few days.

Staying in Morzine works well for the nightlife but early season the nightlife will be ok but not in ‘full swing’ Yet.

‘A’ bus from Morzine up to Prodains and ‘M’ bus from Morzine to Ardent should run from the 9th/10th December to access the Avoriaz slopes. I’m not sure what date ‘Super Morzine’ gondola from Morzine town starts running to access Avoriaz slopes.

Early season The skiing area is ‘limited’ but that is reflected in the reduced price ski pass. And as it’s sooo quiet it’s one of my favourite times to visit.

10th Dec to 17th Dec would be a Great time to visit (as long as it does not warm up and rain) but early or even pre season, transfers from Geneva are limited and ‘shared’ transfers are a bit more rarer still (but not impossible, Saturdays are your best bet for any shared transfers soo early in the season. However don’t land at 9pm unless your prepared to pay for private transfer or hire a car.)

Car hire is an option if transfers are unattractive or you can’t find reasonable transfer.

If you go, expect to compromise. The slopes will be in the shade again from 2:30/3pm and start to turn icy if no new snow. That’s been fine for me previously but don’t expect ‘Stella’ conditions. The bars maybe be quiet or half of them still closed (compromise) The transfers are few and far between. Check with Skiidy before booking flights if you want a good price transfer (compromise).

Links to look at here.

https://rockonsnow.com/

Avoriaz opening weekend event and special discounted ‘Avoriaz area only’ ski pass 9th,10th,11th Dec.

https://www.skipass-avoriaz.com/en/

https://www.skiidygonzales.com/

https://www.thenant.com/

On-line The Nant looks like no space but email them as I’m sure they are open. If they are open they might offer an early season deal (I’m staying there myself opening weekend with some pals and got a great deal)

Or AirBnB booking.con for self catered apartments Is maybe the cheapest way to sneak in a weeks skiing.

If I had the annual leave I’d be going Sat 10th to Sat 17th and would rent a cheap apt in Morzine town.

Dinner in morzine at ‘Le Local’.

Lunch in Avoriaz at the Boulangerie if you can find it.

Rentals through Alpine Sport near Super Morzine if you need to rent kit could be an option.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 29-11-22 0:35; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some useful info here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1aE9crBSfm32N7GOLUPxH-po2p0mLyoiLV5Y-602SnYE/htmlview#gid=0
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timmycb5 wrote:
@under a new name, actually, on further inspection "quite a bit" might be doing some heavy lifting Laughing

I was looking at snow-forecast and the jet2ski sites. I can't make head nor tail of proper meteorological forecasts, so normally rely on dumbed down versions like these, but they're normally fairly good.

The forecast is only for about 5cm in between now and Wednesday. That'll teach me to just glance at something without looking at it properly.

Ha ha you almost got me, there was I thinking you had found a positive snow update that I had missed, but sadly not, will have to hope Les Gets' 3cm turns into much more...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
its snowing at the moment at 1250m
snow report
@andy from embsay, cracking link that, they just need to add hotels to it Smile I've got flights booked 18th dec, can't decide between Avoriaz or Verbier!
snow report
Hi guys. Going to Morzine for the first time in January Smile so trying to read lots of info. What are the snow and piste conditions likely to be like in mid Jan? Will all pistes and lifts be open at that time?
snow conditions
kinger123 wrote:
Hi guys. Going to Morzine for the first time in January Smile so trying to read lots of info. What are the snow and piste conditions likely to be like in mid Jan? Will all pistes and lifts be open at that time?

It is likely to be pretty good, with all runs open to the town level, and lifts working in all sectors. I'd say January is a good time to visit, weathet should be cold, and with a decent accumulaton of snow, even after a shaky start to the season. It will also be relatively quiet after Xmas and NY, and before half term in February. If you are closer to the Super Morzine and Montriond, or the mProdains Road, you will have relatively easy access to Avoriaz and the wider PDS region at higher altitude which will be very good skiing too.
snow report
kinger123 wrote:

Likely but nothing is guaranteed. Can get rain and mild temps down at resort levels any time during the season and that can strip snow quickly and close runs back to the resort. However, Jan is probably as good a time as any so keep your fingers crossed Happy
ski holidays
@@247snowman, They run a reduced bus service the week of 10/12 - no M bus and they combine A (Prodains) with U (Pied de la Plagne). Details here - that first week they run the “UA” service, the light green route. https://www.morzinesourcemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/morzine-bus-timetable-winter-23.pdf
snow conditions
Evening all

Heading out to the PdS on the 23rd. Pretty much got everything in place for our little xmas stay up at Hotel Du Lac in Montriond. We are just trying to plan Christmas Eve. We may or not may ski on Christmas eve morning but we are planning on heading down into Morzine for the afternoon/evening. Would the buses from Ardent back to town still be running on the 24th?
I've been looking on the tourism website but there aren't a huge amount of details on there yet. What in previous has gone on on Xmas Eve in the town? Got dinner booked at La Grange for 8. We really want to attend midnight mass if the church still practices this? We also need to book a taxi back up so need to plan timings.
I believe that Christmas day pretty much operates like normal?
Never been away over Xmas so really looking forward to it!

Thanks in advance!
snow report
@Fridge03, re buses, I’d keep an eye on the Mairie’s FB page as that seems to be where bus timetable changes are announced. But as it stands the last bus down is at 1800 from Ardent - certain they’ll be running in the afternoon.
ski holidays
@Fridge03,
Xmas eve, fireworks, normally around seven pm; combined with vin chaud on the bottom of Pleney. Town is normally buzzing. La Grange is a good choice. Not sure about midnight mass; been a long time since I have been. Book your taxi back to Montriond asap. Christmas Day is a normal day.
ski holidays
@andy from embsay,

Thanks for the bus update the 1st week.
snow report
@dh900,

Bud time table just released and ‘M’ bus to Ardent not running until.17th Dec. I’m guessing you are driving up to Ardent.
snow report
Anyone know what date Super Morzine gondola is due to start operating?

I’m in Morzine for the ‘proper’ opening weekend of Avoriaz and 1st day of our ski trip is 10th Dec.

Influences where some of our party hire kit. (From near Super morzine or Prodains).
snow conditions
@247snowman wrote:
Anyone know what date Super Morzine gondola is due to start operating?

I’m in Morzine for the ‘proper’ opening weekend of Avoriaz and 1st day of our ski trip is 10th Dec.

Influences where some of our party hire kit. (From near Super morzine or Prodains).

It’s part of the Avoriaz area so in theory it should be open from 9th - but the top station of Super M is only at c1400m so will be marginal unless there’s a drop in the snowline next week. I noticed on the webcams they were making snow on the run down to Proclou this morning, which is on the way back to Super M from Avoriaz, but of course that’s also a very popular beginners’ run, so I guess they’d want that open if they can.

Why not hire from Alan’s or Alpine Sports’ new shop (assuming it’s opened by then - there still looked a lot to do last weekend), both of which are right by the “garage” (the garage has gone now) roundabout so easy to hop off the bus and get back on if heading to Avoriaz? Gives you both options? I’ve hired from Alan’s for my daughter’s bf in Jan for that reason.
ski holidays
@andy from embsay,

Cheers Andy.
That all makes sense.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@247snowman wrote:
@dh900,

Bud time table just released and ‘M’ bus to Ardent not running until.17th Dec. I’m guessing you are driving up to Ardent.

Yes, have a hire car. Does anyone know if Ardent is free parking?
ski holidays
I'll be over in Switzerland (Aigle) from the 9th. Shame Chatel and the links don't open until the 10th. Is the weekend likely to be super busy?
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, @zzz, Thank you.
snow report
@dh900,

Yep Ardent is free Parking all year round.

Prodains normally free in Summer but is paid parking during winter months.
snow conditions
@leggyblonde,

I found last year the opening weekend in Avoriaz felt quite busy.

Factors to take into account for last year were brilliant early season snow and the demand after Covid was large.

I had not been on snow for a while so was maybe a bit rusty (and neither had lots of other folk).

It felt that lots of folk were skiing/boarding to the edge of their ability?

Avoriaz also had an ‘Avoriaz only’ ski pass on last year opening weekend which was approx €20 per day (they are repeating that price Fri Sat Sun 9th/10th/11th again this year as part of the rock on snow test weekend).

I think the cheap ski pass attracted lots of folk too.

Last opening weekend I skied from Avoriaz over to Pre La Joux section of Chatel and it seemed lots less crowded over there.

My understanding is that you Needed the PdS pass to ski over from Avoriaz to Chatel (even though only a relatively small part of Chatel was open).

I had my PdS season pass so was good to get over to there anyway.

Avoriaz ski pass and opening weekend detail here.

https://rockonsnow.com/

I’ve seen Chatel have got some cheaper passes available opening weekend too.

As you say. Links open on 10th Dec.

https://www.skipass-chatel.com/en/
ski holidays
@@247snowman, Thanks!
snow report
Prodains is free this weekend.

Considering La Balme (La Clusaz) and Les Grands Montets have both given up, and Flaine didn't even try, we're looking at a crowded Arare area this Saturday... but as I've already ticked the "skinning" box (for now), I'm quite eager to go alpine for a while, even if it means queueing... let alone driving 20 more minutes...

Bring on the weekend!
snow report
Hark, is that a monster dump I see on the forecast for the middle/end of next week in Les Gets/Morzine?! I know it’s a little far out to get any certainty, but it would make for a great start to the season.

Any weather gurus able to verify the veracity of the forecasts?
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, I am no guru, but I think it is a bit early to tell - though there are lots of promising signs in the models. Not sure I would go as far as calling it a monster dump.

Latest GFS run goes for a moderate fall midweek next week (but rain lower slopes), then another one the following weekend (along with cooler temperatures). However that was the most optimistic out of the last few runs, so may need to wait a bit to see if that forecast holds.
latest report
@denfinella, one forecast is for (up to) 50cm between Thursday and Sunday next week, but as you say, probably too far out to rely on it.
snow report
The problem with automated forecasts is that they often interpret a single iteration of a single weather model, out of many. I suspect that's the case with whichever forecast you're looking at. At short timescales that's usually OK as all the models (and all the different iterations within each model run) tend to be similar to one another and fairly accurate.

Looking further ahead is more problematic as uncertainty increases, and therefore so does the variation between models, runs and ensemble members within each run. If the ensemble member used by an automated forecast happens to be more optimistic than most of the others then it results in an overly optimistic forecast. (And vice versa.)

What will probably happen is that the 50cm figure will go up and down quite a lot over the next few days, and eventually gravitate towards a figure close to what actually happens.
snow report
@@247snowman,

I’ve never seen Super Morzine bubble open before the Xmas week. They will run the Prolays chair (top chair on Super M) for the ski schools before then but I think you’ll have to go up to Avoriaz via Prodain or Ardent.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy