Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Enjoyable place for overnight stay near Dijon?

Poster: A snowHead
I am driving from home (near Portsmouth) to Genoa, to pick up Italian grandson on Saturday 1 April. It's too far to drive in a day. Normally I've driven all the way to the Alps, or just done basic cheap hotel stop-overs, but this time (I'll be on my own) I'd like to find an interesting place to overnight near Dijon on Thursday 30 March. Ideally a French "table d'hotes" which does an evening meal but they're hard to find. I just know that once I get somewhere I won't be bothered to go out trekking round looking for somewhere good to eat. So the alternative is a small hotel with food. Don't want to spend a fortune. I've booked a great-looking AirBnB at Rossiglione, 50 kms north of Genoa, for the Friday night. Might also look at Air BnBs round Dijon as I could easily take the wherewithal to whip myself up a meal. Suggestions welcome!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure if this will quite tick all your boxes - but I've just booked an overnight stop - Kyriad Dijon Sud
Approx 3 miles off A31, has a restaurant and was very reasonable. Reviews were pretty good.
Main reason for us for choosing this stop is because it has Tesla chargers.
Stopping in a weeks time so I could always let you know?
Booked it via booking.com
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks - yes, let me know how it turns out. Not that I need Tesla chargers. Certainly reasonable - I'm not prepared to pay £100 just for a bed for the night!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not particularly "enjoyable" though. I'd prefer a slightly ramshackle Table d'hotes or quirky AirBnB. Not fond of hotels.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
I'd like to find an interesting place to overnight near Dijon on Thursday 30 March. Ideally a French "table d'hotes" which does an evening meal but they're hard to find.

@pam w the Logis hotel chain often have interesting places to stay with their own restaurant providing local cuisine influenced evening meals. There seem to be quite a few in and near Dijon: https://www.logishotels.com/en/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I see there's one at Gevrey Chambertin, @Alastair Pink. It's a bit of a joke in our family as my dad was always going on about Gevrey Chambertin. Do you suppose they sell it by the glass in the restaurant? Laughing A charming young Frenchman who came from that area came to stay in our apartment once. He brought us some gifts, including a bottle of GC. Fortunately, thanks to my dad, I knew it was a very good wine. But I did say, thanking him, that I'd make us all some lovely vin chaud with it. He went a bit pale before I let on that I was joking......
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Beaune?
I stayed here a few years ago and it’s quite reasonable and the restaurant is supposed to be good
hoteldefrance-beaune.com (if it’s good enough for Felicity Cloake… https://www.instagram.com/p/CofxGtVoWFP/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y= )
Alternatively it’s about 10 mins walk into central Beaune which is a nice place to wander around and plenty of choice of places to eat
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
I see there's one at Gevrey Chambertin, @Alastair Pink. It's a bit of a joke in our family as my dad was always going on about Gevrey Chambertin. Do you suppose they sell it by the glass in the restaurant? Laughing

Well looking at the information on the website I see it's got a wine bar as well as a restaurant, so I think your chances of being able to get just a glass of Gevrey Chambertin are pretty high. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I could toast my old Dad!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We stayed at the Ibis Styles next door to the Kyriad just last Saturday, on the way to Morillon. Nice hotel with a well regarded restaurant
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno wrote:
Beaune?
I stayed here a few years ago and it’s quite reasonable and the restaurant is supposed to be good
hoteldefrance-beaune.com (if it’s good enough for Felicity Cloake… https://www.instagram.com/p/CofxGtVoWFP/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y= )
Alternatively it’s about 10 mins walk into central Beaune which is a nice place to wander around and plenty of choice of places to eat

I’d also recommend looking at Beaune. I’ll try and recollect the place that Mrs C and I stayed at - it was recommended by Hells Bells. Very pleasant and not overly expensive.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I spent a very pleasant day in Beaune a few years ago - visited the Hospice etc. This time I won't have sightseeing time, but a nice meal and a comfortable bed would be good. Even without a glass of Burgundy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alastair Pink suggests a Logis hotel. Good plan.
We usually stay at Hotel La Flambée. Comfortable cozy rooms, friendly bar with excellent (and popular) restaurant attached. 5 minutes off the motorway. Nearby SuperU, Boulangerie and Pharmacy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Beaune and Nuits-St-Georges are far nicer for a mooch than Gevrey-Chambertin.
There's a Logis in NSG, but it is probably a more expensive one, food is good in restaurant, but pricy. We usually eat at Cafe du Centre, with 3 course for around 16€. Glasses and half-bottles available.
Stayed here before, although looks like different owners now. https://www.chambres-hotes.fr/chambres-hotes_chambre-d-hotes-les-tilleuls_epernay-sous-gevrey_83121.htm . Convenient for autoroute, but nothing else nearby.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Beaune hotels we have stayed in are - Belle Epoque, Hotel de la Paix, Grand St Jean, Hotel de La Cloche, and Athanor. You can tell we like it. Camped there too a couple of years ago. We hit on a warm weekend last March when driving back after I had my appendix op. Lovely brasserie meal still sitting outside. Think we stayed in Athanor that time.
snow report
Village motel, Tournus. Or La Mirandole, Tournus almost opposite (cheaper, no frills).

Village motel has a restaurant. Both places less than a 5 min walk from a lovely (hidden) McDonalds. Two cheap petrol stations literally next door.

Literally 2 mins off the autoroute.

If you can handle a 15 min walk into the small town there's a choice of some really cutesy brasseries.
latest report
@kettonskimum, there is no such thing as a lovely McDonalds......... discuss.
snow conditions
I did love the story of the French farmers who took one to pieces a few years ago.
ski holidays
It was a wonderfully French story - all about cheese, too https://www.thelocal.fr/20190813/why-did-a-group-of-french-farmers-demolish-a-mcdonalds/
latest report
Quote:

lovely McDonalds.........

Hyperbole.....but, as they go, much cleaner, efficient and tastier than many a UK branch.
snow conditions
@pam w, We often use booking websites like booking.com where you can put in all your requirements incl budget, evening meal, free parking, breakfast included, and so on. Photos and reviews give a good idea of hotel style. You can also select hotels, gites and different kinds of accommodation. Hope your trip goes well!
snow report
kettonskimum wrote:
Quote:

lovely McDonalds.........

Hyperbole.....but, as they go, much cleaner, efficient and tastier than many a UK branch.

Never go in one here either. It must be 25 years since I've had one. My kids got to about 8 and realised they didn't like them either.
ski holidays
5RED wrote:
@pam w, We often use booking websites like booking.com where you can put in all your requirements incl budget, evening meal, free parking, breakfast included, and so on. Photos and reviews give a good idea of hotel style. You can also select hotels, gites and different kinds of accommodation. Hope your trip goes well!

Do similar, but then contact the hotel directly. Usually cheaper, may include breakfast, or get a better room.
ski holidays
Having had lots of helpful responses - thanks - I'm half tempted to book nothing - it's a Thursday night - and just see how far I get, and when I want to stop. In the past I've spent some frustrated hours in a cheap hotel with a plastic pillow and too much heating, wide awake, thinking "I could have driven 100 miles in the time I've been lying here". Other times, with fog on the motorway, or other nasty conditions, or just feeling unusually tired, being glad to be able to turn off earlier than planned and find a meal and a bed.

One of the perks of driving alone!
snow report
@nbt, Any idea if the Ibis is within walking distance of the Kyriad - thinking restaurant there may be a better option than the Kyriad?
snow report
They’re literally next door to each other. The Tesla superchargers we’re in the other side of the fence from the spot where I parked my car. Book the restaurant though, the hotel actually phoned me a few days before we were due to arrive to check if we wanted to eat as they were getting very booked out
ski holidays
@nbt, Will most definitely do - many thanks!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy