Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 22/23

Poster: A snowHead
@jbob, that looks rather fine!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jbob wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mont-Blanc-Lines-celebrating-climbing/dp/1839811676/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1DXYQ2A8O9GCH&keywords=mont+blanc+lines&qid=1666545624&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjk5IiwicXNhIjoiMC45NCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=mont+blanc+lines+%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21

Just got this book, its fantastic.

Thanks for the tip!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I realised the main advantage of the pass for me has always been the 'well, it's already paid for, I might as well go out for a couple of hours even if I can't fit in a full day' approach - whereas if I was just buying as I went I'd probably decide to miss out on some of those extra little days.

And at the other end of the ski-enthusiasm scale, it also means feeling perfectly content to "waste" some money sitting for a couple of hours over lunch in the sun, or deciding that that twinge in your left knee probably does mean it's time to pack up for the day.

And surely it's worth a few bob not to have to make tricky decisions every morning?

Paying for a day just reminds you each time how damned expensive it all is. Like working out how much it's cost you to spend a couple of hours in your boat battling choppy seas and headwinds, getting a bit cold because going down below to put more layers on is not a pleasant prospect and ending up being sick.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@HammondR, to say the least. It’s definitely not a Munro type bagging list.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Two keen skiers, with our non-sking wives who love the mountains, wine, food, general touristy day trips. Is Cham a good shout?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes lots of (expensive) shopping, can do the ice cave, aguile du midi if they arent scared of heights, can get the train into Geneva, lovely spa also plus walking . Personally I'm not the biggest fan of skiing in cham,either need to use the train or car to make the most of the area
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chrislondon, yep, pretty good. Nice easy day trips to e.g. Courmayeur, up the Montenvers, etc. Wouldn't be taking the train to Geneva though!! But easy and frequent enough buses.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@chrislondon, yep, pretty good. Nice easy day trips to e.g. Courmayeur, up the Montenvers, etc. Wouldn't be taking the train to Geneva though!! But easy and frequent enough buses.

Awesome thanks.

One of the reasons I liked it was the train, as imagined it would make for easy transfers. A place we can go for regularly for short weekends. Why would you not recommend it?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are faster trains (2h45) but most of the connections are ~3h40 … airport to Cham on a Friday (later) night by car is about an hour …
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's annoying. Thank you
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chrislondon, just take a car ...

It is, however, very annoying. Some years ago the Mayor was claiming that he was going to persuade SNCF to organise it down to sub 2 hours, but as he subsequently had to persuade them not to close the line entirely, that seems somewhat unlikely.

Given all the eco projects, most of which seem to encourage public transport use by making car use a massive PITA, one would think that better organising the train, which is pretty well stationed for use up most of the valley would be a good idea. But ...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@chrislondon, just take a car ...

It is, however, very annoying. Some years ago the Mayor was claiming that he was going to persuade SNCF to organise it down to sub 2 hours, but as he subsequently had to persuade them not to close the line entirely, that seems somewhat unlikely.

Given all the eco projects, most of which seem to encourage public transport use by making car use a massive PITA, one would think that better organising the train, which is pretty well stationed for use up most of the valley would be a good idea. But ...

I was just reading an article in the guardian about a project back in 2015 to improve the rail.

Presumably, this is the project you mentioned that never went ahead?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/05/why-does-chamonix-have-some-worst-air-pollution-france
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm going to be in Chamonix for all of January.

I haven't skied there since the Grands Montets cable car fire of 2018.

Could someone tell me how long it takes to skin to the top, from either the Herse or the Bochard chairlifts?

Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aiguille d’Argentiere with a fresh coat of paint this morning
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Contrarian, cards on the table first; I am notoriously slow. Drive my chums to distraction. However, my standard time from the Bochard to the top of the Grands Montets (via the Rachasse) is 1:40. Bit quicker with a light ski. Nice and steady under aerobic threshold (VT1) all the way.

If you are a younger racing snake then clearly quite a bit quicker.
ski holidays
Thanks @HammondR, that's really useful. I'm probably going to be a bit quicker than that, but not hugely.
latest report
@Contrarian, do you really mean "the top"? Almost everyone just skins up to the Rachasse (25-45mins for me from the start of the skin, depending on how I'm feeling and snow conditions) which is great bang-for-buck because it's about 300m ascent for 1100m descent down the back.

If you go all the way to the top you're adding 300m ascent for 300m descent, by which time everyone else has done another lap of the main route.

From Herse, add c.20mins, but IMO a nicer route.
snow report
@snowdave, I was really thinking about getting to where the old cable car used to take you - is that the Rachasse?
snow conditions
@Contrarian, the old cable car would be "the top" at least for that rock outcrop. However, if you just want to access much of the skiing that the cable car accessed, then there's no need to go all the way to the top. The Col des Rachasses is the point where you cross over from the "front" of the Grands Montets (where all the lift served skiing is) to the "back" where there's so much great powder.

The col is at 3000m, where one of the pistes (Pylones?) down from the top used to cross over from "back" to "front" of the mountain, beside a small wooden shed.
snow report
Thanks @snowdave, yes I know that col. I'll probably still do some hikes all the way to the top of the cable car, because I love that first section above the Col des Rachasses.
It's great it only takes 25-45 minutes from the top of Bochard to reach the Col.
ski holidays
Update on Le Tour rebuilding.
https://www.britishskischool.com/bass-chamonix-blog/new-gondola-for-le-tour

For the record Bass Chamonix are an excellent ski school for all grades of skier.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy