Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 22/23

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.montblancnaturalresort.com/en/preventes-forfaits?fbclid=IwAR2zxDl1pzJa2r1UVGqBUi8lrmx1dkD5rpDaSRwzIy_HywBww8dpKPRR2JU

Details of next seasons discounted lift passes for those who didn’t have one 21/22. Available 19/9-30/11.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Who said Switzerland was expensive Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BobinCH, how much is a Verbier annual pass these days? not so many years ago, it was cheaper to buy the Chamonix pass ... think that only lasted a season though Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
anyway, always nice buying season passes, we did ours saturday and my cardiologist assures me I'll be fit to ski come the snow.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, how much is a Verbier annual pass these days? not so many years ago, it was cheaper to buy the Chamonix pass ... think that only lasted a season though Shocked

1295chf (although we get them for 995 on a friend get friend deal) and 300chf for kids.

My first year in CH I bought an MBU pass for 800 euros and skied half in Cham and half in Verbier (unlimited day passes!). Those were the days!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For those who have a previous pass and qualify for the "slightly less egregious" pricing, for an annual (i.e. inc summer) pass including Courmayeur, St Gervais & 6 days in Verbier, it's €791 solo adult, €1503 couple adult, €672 solo child (up to 25yrs old).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowdave wrote:
For those who have a previous pass and qualify for the "slightly less egregious" pricing, for an annual (i.e. inc summer) pass including Courmayeur, St Gervais & 6 days in Verbier, it's €791 solo adult, €1503 couple adult, €672 solo child (up to 25yrs old).

That’s much more reasonable - how do you qualify for that?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH wrote:

Officially I think its "have had a season or annual pass last season"

In my previous experience... have bought a season pass in either of last two years, but that might have been a COVID special.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowdave wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Officially I think its "have had a season or annual pass last season"

In my previous experience... have bought a season pass in either of last two years, but that might have been a COVID special.

They (the CdMB) appear to work in mysterious ways.

One chum last had a season/annual pass 7 years ago and yet still receives the cheap offer emails every year. This may have been prolonged due to the purchase of the occasional Rapidcard.

For under 800€ including Megeve, Les Contamines and all the rest it has been a cracking deal for some time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
‘2022-2023 offer reserved to 2021-22, 2020-21 and 2019-20 season/year skipass buyers. We suggest that you renew your purchase of a preferential rate.’
Benefit from the MONT BLANC Unlimited year pass at the price of :

Adult

26 years & +
946,00€
COMING SOON

Jeune

5 - 25 years
804,00€
COMING SOON

Couple

2 Adults
1797,40€
COMING SOON
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, @snowdave, @HammondR,

My limited understanding is that although they claim it’s for prior buyers, that’s discriminatory pricing and can’t be enforced. I have heard rumours of successful challenges. But of course, you need to know of the existence in the first place.

Prices have been kept steady for 2 years now due C-19.

Annual passes are very good value, but you do have to use them to get that value (who knew)?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jbob, I'm seeing very different prices from that; as posted above:

Your loyalty is our priority !
2022-2023 offer reserved to 2021-22 season/year skipass buyers.
We suggest that you renew your purchase of a preferential rate.
Benefit from the MONT BLANC Unlimited year pass at the price of :

Adult

26 years & +
791,00€
BUY

Young

5 - 25 years
672,40€
BUY

Couple / Duo

2 Adults
1502,90€
BUY
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jbob, just bought mine for 791€
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The prices on mine are annual. Must say I’m tempted.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've got the same prices as @snowdave too.

I'm not sure what to do - I think I'll be there less this winter...

Looking at the various benefits, the 3 days in Crans-Montana is new isn't it?
latest report
@fixx, crans Montana is new, but we seem to have lost the 3 Cham guest day passes unless I’ve missed them in the list.
latest report
snowdave wrote:
@fixx, crans Montana is new, but we seem to have lost the 3 Cham guest day passes unless I’ve missed them in the list.

I think there is a free day in megeve for a guest this year IIRC, bought ours on sunday, its a good way of keeping people coming back, it looks pretty cheap at 1500 euros for a couple's annual as against just under 1200 EACH for a three valleys season pass, I dont know if they do a returning skier discount though
latest report
@snowdave, did we get 3 free passes last year? I thought we got an extra one for covid and the usual one, this year we just get the one.
snow report
@under a new name, you're right, it was just 2 last year, and we still get the one this year. IIRC the free day was originally "compensation" for the lack of GM top lift, so while it makes sense to retain it, CdMB and "sense" are uncommon bedfellows.

Just pulled the trigger on mine. With the new dynamic pricing option for advance booking of daily passes online it's less of a slam-dunk than it used to be, but with some heavy summer usage I can make it work.
ski holidays
Well I dithered, and then bought a pass in the end yesterday evening Smile

I did a few calculations, and it always came out pretty close - and then I realised the main advantage of the pass for me has always been the 'well, it's already paid for, I might as well go out for a couple of hours even if I can't fit in a full day' approach - whereas if I was just buying as I went I'd probably decide to miss out on some of those extra little days.
snow report
fixx wrote:
I realised the main advantage of the pass for me has always been the 'well, it's already paid for, I might as well go out for a couple of hours even if I can't fit in a full day' approach - whereas if I was just buying as I went I'd probably decide to miss out on some of those extra little days.

This also helped swing my decision. I'd rather do 50 days of great 2hrs in the morning and a day of work afterwards, than 20 "full" days.
snow report
snowdave wrote:
fixx wrote:
I realised the main advantage of the pass for me has always been the 'well, it's already paid for, I might as well go out for a couple of hours even if I can't fit in a full day' approach - whereas if I was just buying as I went I'd probably decide to miss out on some of those extra little days.

This also helped swing my decision. I'd rather do 50 days of great 2hrs in the morning and a day of work afterwards, than 20 "full" days.

1 fabulous pow run before/after work can make the difference between a bad day and a GREAT day snowHead
snow report
Which area(s) of Chamonix would be a good choice of base, when considering accessing it's various ski areas by foot/bus service (no car) and being reasonably close to some decent restaurants & bars?
ski holidays
@skidm, if looking at small apts/studios, Cham Sud … easy to train to Flegere or Grands Montets, bars restos 2 minute walk to town, 10 minute walk to Brevent …
latest report
thanks @under a new name, do you know if the train service is included on the lift pass?
ski holidays
@skidm, I'm biased, but I'd say it's worth locating next to one of the ski areas so that you've got the option of skiing without transport - for those days when you just want a short blast, or when a crappy weather day suddenly turns good.

For good transport, that means near Flegere (albeit not many small appartments), or Argentiere.
snow conditions
@skidm, it is, yes.

@snowdave, which is also not bad advice. Although Flegere not exactly rammed with bars/restos.
snow conditions
Cheers @snowdave & @under a new name, I'll check out Flegere. Any downside to staying near the Planpraz lift?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skidm, you are a steep hill up from town and not near trains but we had a house/lived near Brevent for 16 years and it doesn’t seem to have hurt. Mind you, we have a car…
ski holidays
@skidm, I'd go somewhere close to Brevent - agreed a bit of a stiff climb up to the lift but right in the centre of town
snow report
Bought ours again on the Super Promo, but here's a question for those in the know:

There are passes that come on sale in Nov at some point for scholars and students. I think you get them from the Marie instead of CdMB, or via the Marie anyway, as they are linked to ViaCham cards.

I think the scholar pass you have to show you are in a valley school. The student pass though is for upto 25yr olds, in education, who have one or two parents living in the valley, they clearly could be at uni in Lyon, Paris, Munich, UK, USA or anywhere else. So my question is does 'living in the valley' mean full time (French or Carte de Sejour) or does it mean ViaCham holder (ie local tax payer)?

We've got ViaCham cards, and I'm wondering if my daughter could benefit from the student card if/when she goes to uni in UK. I think the student card is circa €380 as opposed to her jeune MBU at €670'ish (though that has wider validity and also the extra bits and bobs.

Anyone got experience of the above, real world, what checks are made?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, @snowdave, @HammondR,

My limited understanding is that although they claim it’s for prior buyers, that’s discriminatory pricing and can’t be enforced. I have heard rumours of successful challenges. But of course, you need to know of the existence in the first place.

Prices have been kept steady for 2 years now due C-19.

Annual passes are very good value, but you do have to use them to get that value (who knew)?

I thought it was the old 'locals' pass system that was challenged under EU regs (as it automatically charged more to other EU nationals). The super promo was brought in to replace the 'locals' system, as sfaik it wasn't discriminatory on a geographic basis.
ski holidays
skidm wrote:
thanks @under a new name, do you know if the train service is included on the lift pass?

The trains are not on the lift pass (despite CdMB saying they were last year then having to retract) but your accommodation provider should be able to give you a Carte d'Hote which will give you free train up and down the valley.
snow report
@under a new name, I've just noticed you said yes in regard to the above. Is that for sure? I was 99.9% it wasn't, but your more in the know (being an accommodation provider) and on the spot than I, so I would bow to your greater knowledge if you're sure.
snow report
Thanks for your suggestions & opinions @Whitters, @under a new name, @snowdave,
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:
skidm wrote:

The trains are not on the lift pass (despite CdMB saying they were last year then having to retract) but your accommodation provider should be able to give you a Carte d'Hote which will give you free train up and down the valley.

This is my understanding too. Been denied free travel on the train back from Le Buet umpteen times. Sometimes I have a hand me down Carte d'hote which does do the job.

The CdMB list of what's what says "TRAIN SERVICE : Easy access to the TER MONT-BLANC EXPRESS train with your valid MONT BLANC Unlimited pass (season or annual). Please present your MONT BLANC Unlimited to the station or to the conductor of the train, with the MONT BLANC Unlimited and the confirmation of purchase before boarding the train, in order to obtain a ticket only to or from St Gervais les Bains le Fayet (The MONT BLANC Unlimited is not an SNCF ticket). For guests with a guest card, please also present your guest card. " if you have the first idea what this means then you are clearly in the know. It clearly isn't an SNCF ticket. What it actually is is another matter.
snow conditions
@HammondR, I think the standard coverage of the train is only as far as Servoz, that complicated explanation is about how to travel the final section to Le Fayet if you hold an MBU pass that include Evasion Mont Blanc.

But how it actually works I have no idea.
snow conditions
@midgetbiker, @skidm, @HammondR, @j b, huh! I was totes sure it was on lift pass. But there you go. Don’t trust random strangers on the interpipes.

Anyway, it totally is on the “carte d’hote” which should be provided. PITA that they are …

Very oddly, in the confined season, we were presenting our passes to the SNCF office in Vallorcine and getting free train rides as far as the border en route to les Marecottes Puzzled
ski holidays
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mont-Blanc-Lines-celebrating-climbing/dp/1839811676/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1DXYQ2A8O9GCH&keywords=mont+blanc+lines&qid=1666545624&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjk5IiwicXNhIjoiMC45NCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=mont+blanc+lines+%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21

Just got this book, its fantastic.
snow conditions
@jbob, well what are the odds? I just ordered it today. Saw the French version last year. Makes you realise just how much you haven't done.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy