Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
@kitenski, I have seen that post - and it would appear that either you are blocked for a minimum parking period (5/7 days) or there is the day rate if available at 22€ in these covered spaces - what I was trying to ascertain from someone with experience is what is the best solution for a day tripper - I cannot imagine people coming up for the day are paying 22€ to park. But then again maybe parking is really that expensive! Guess I am use to switzerland and austria where its free in large outdoor spaces.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowornever wrote:

Michel turned out to be a great character reminiscing about his time on the French National Ski team (SL)
Spent 2.75 hrs on fitting scans etc and trying different shells/makes
Have yet to actually ski the new boots but seem a great fit as they should do!
I had told him how long I had been putting off changing boots but he didn’t believe me really until he pulled the old boots apart queue hilarity as he showed them to the other fitters!!!
Pleased with his expertise

I would be very intrigued to know the process you went through and if/how it differed from the process that my Daughter went through with the more junior fitter.....And how your Boots have worked out when used in anger.

The process certainly didn't take 2.75 hrs - probably more like a little less than 1.5 hrs. I also think my Daughter would be looking for slightly different things to me ie. A "Comfort Fit" was far more important than an "Ultimate Performance" one; not a nightmare to put on/take off; not nip her calf; warm due to Reynauds and snug enough to stop heel lift/and foot moving about; a little room to allow feet to swell. She is very happy with the boots....but I have certain concerns, which is probably due to the language barrier. The scan and the foot assessment led to one, possibly 2 pairs that were suitable. This was something that I had expected....and anything else we tried was uncomfortable.

1. At no point was a Brannock style measuring device used (and no assessment of how the foot lengthens when weighted vs sat down).....but this may not be necessary due to the foot scanner.
2. There were no questions about her skill and goals.....so I brought it up
3. There was no assessment of her ankle flexion - but he did look at her feet
4. There was no shell check as part of the process. I did ask for one, which received a look of surprise, but I was obliged (more to keep me happy, than a necessary part of the fitting).

The Salomon Boots had the Shells and Liners warmed to fit and the Sidas Custom Insoles were done in a skiing position.

Does that chime with what you went through?

It may be that the chap knew exactly what he was doing, but didn't have the level of English to explain exactly what he was doing and why. I am someone who likes to understand the process and thus what is, and what is not necessary - especially if it differs from what I was expecting.

As a result of the process, they did appear to produce the boots that were probably the best fit.....and the scan may have given them the information they needed - as smaller and narrower boots were tried at my insistence and were very uncomfortable.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Guess I am use to switzerland and austria where its free in large outdoor spaces.
Until this season, Tignes had 2 or 3 car parks that were free of charge, whether for a day or a fortnight. And parking was free for day visitors using the Grande Motte car park.

If they really are charging €22 for parking on top of nearly €70 a day for a lift ticket, it practically amounts to extortion. Can anyone confirm the position/charge for day trippers?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bobski62 wrote:
My Tignes App says wot @chocksaway, says.

Yes my mistake!
Tks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
extremerob wrote:
@kitenski, I have seen that post - and it would appear that either you are blocked for a minimum parking period (5/7 days) or there is the day rate if available at 22€ in these covered spaces - what I was trying to ascertain from someone with experience is what is the best solution for a day tripper - I cannot imagine people coming up for the day are paying 22€ to park. But then again maybe parking is really that expensive! Guess I am use to switzerland and austria where its free in large outdoor spaces.

Does Val D'Isere have any free parking left?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kenzie wrote:
extremerob wrote:

It lost the last of any 'official' but free parking a LONG time ago. There are still a few places you can often park for free for a day or so here and there but if you're unlucky (every so often) the fun police will come and give you a ticket! Sorry not great news!

mountainaddict - I guess its partly what you are used to. In North American some places charge about €200 for a days lift pass for a tiny ski area by comparison and often lots of these things are comparing apples with pears!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, anyone know if there are any discount for ski pass discount with any booked ESF lessons when buying at the local office ? asked ESF school and they advised to check with STGM when buying. Wondering if anyone checked that already?
Thank you.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Skipec, In a word: No. The only discounts are for age (ie young kids and 75 and over free, discount for teens and over 64s)

Groundhog day - blue skies, sunshine, breezes at altitude.

I met up with George VII and Lady George and we set off for Breviere as everybody else was coming into Lac. The national Strike made it a bit trickier as a few lifts were closed (which was not notified last night). Paquis and Col de Ves were shut, which isnt really a drama but so was Grand Huit which is a bit. Especially when Merles broke down mid morning, so the rope tow Replat was mobbed, and the egress piste back to Anenome had an accident partially blocking it, so for half an hour we watched the bedlam from afar. I felt sorry for the ski school snakes that got trapped (even the ones in red wink ). The trip down to Brev was blissfully. quiet and apart from the bit near the cliff was fine, though I suspect it polished up later. After coffee a Cocos we had a whizz round Bellvarde which was remarkably quiet over lunch. A late lunch at home completed the days exercise.

Weather 4 more days of the same, but slightly warmer from Friday. As for the long range forecast little change for 10 days or so.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Old Fartbag
Michel spoke reasonable English and with my smattering of French I understood the process I can appreciate your concern it’s not my choice to blindly accept the expertise on offer but I was satisfied that the process was right
After the scan the results were gone through ad nauseum and impressive detail I thought much better measurement than the old system
I quickly got bored with the whole heat forming etc but got through it
I have skied the boots extensively mostly off piste and it took a day or two to get the clip tension right for me
Biggest issue was getting used to their light weight!
Very happy with them now the edge feel and power transmission is impressive
I do wonder how they will last when worked hard but time will tell!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowornever, Thank you.

Was a shell check done in your case - something that I thought was an essential part of a "Good Fitting" - or is that deemed unnecessary by them?

Sorry for the interrogation...but I'm filing away options for future use.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
She’ll check ok it’s part of process decision matrix between comfort and performance
No problem putting trust in Michel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mountainaddict, I can report my recent experiences with parking in Val d’Isere. I parked in a 2 hour space next to the flats of La Daille for 30 hours then found a notice on my car from the police car pound. It was just a friendly notice with no fine attached but there was an implied threat in the picture of a tow truck. I decided it would be wiser to transfer to an official car park which cost me 27 euros for 24 hours. If you were staying for 8 hours or so to go skiing the cost would be around a third of that.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
I guess its partly what you are used to.
Exactly! I've been very used to parking for free at Alps (indeed worldwide) ski resorts since *1988 - and for free in Tignes since 1992!

I can count on one hand the number of places that have charged for parking in the numerous countries that I've skied. Zermatt (ie Taesch), Saas Fee and St Anton are the places that immediately come to mind.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

@Kenzie, yes. Covered in my post on page 1.

@extremerob, if I were doing day trips I'd head for Les Brevieres (as it's the closest to drive to) and simply pay on the day, about 10-15 €. Alternatively, La Daille, similar price.

I stay in Tignes but sometimes do courses in Val d'Isere and generally drive to La Daille and pay by the day.

TBH, if I were staying in St Foy village (not St Foy Station) for a weekend, and the snow was decent I'd be driving to Villa Roger and skiing Les Arcs rather than Tignes. It's less that 10 minutes by car and had free parking last time I looked.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@bobski62, thanks for the info - it is more that I have friends in Tignes (Val Claret) so would be driving up to ski with them - the choice to stay in St Foy Village is there was no accommodation that was reasonably priced for a 3night stay in Tignes itself. That being said I was panning to try out 1 day in St Foy itself - though at your suggestion may look into les arcs.

My only issue with parking in les brevieres - is the 3 lifts up and 1 down to le lac (they can ski across or I can head up the Toviere)- but more so at the end of the day I cannot stay for dinner and then easily get back to the car - and won't have a change of clothes etc.
latest report
Hi @extremerob, I think in that case your best options are the Golf or Grand Motte car parks, and simply rocking up and paying by the hour. I'll check the tariffs later today.

I'd also consider Le Lac 3 which has the advantage of being underneath the Maison de Tignes which is a nice warm indoor space to put on your ski boots and get ready.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 1-02-23 9:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
we got some free parking at Xmas for the day, just by the garage in La Daile in front of the funi, but may have been lucky it wasnt a busy week

wasnt sure if it was the right call but some guy in a camper said it was fine...LOL.............and it was

If you have a 4x4 with roof box the normal car parks dont work for you
ski holidays
Great meal last night at Brasero in Lavachet with G and Lady G. The steak was excellent, cooked exactly right and the cheesecake was yummy. There was a bit of admin this morning, and then I had an 'exercise' skin up Palafour, a bit more work to do to get back to the standard of 3 years ago, came back and did some experimenting with a new pud and then fell asleep.

Tomorrow's weather will be the same as today, as will Friday but it will be a bit warmer, the warmth will stay for Saturday as will the sun and that breeze aloft. Things are changing a bit for Sunday, there is a weather system over Eastern Switzerland, some models have us as sunny, some very cloudy, 1 even has 1 cm of snow. But nothing to get excited about, sadly.
snow conditions
I took a peek at the hourly rates for Le Lac 3, Golf and Grande Motte. All are the same. Here are the edited highlights:

2hrs - Free
2h15 - €3.20
3hrs - €4.60
5hrs - €8.40
8hrs - €14.20
10hrs - €18.00
13hrs - €22.70
24hrs - €23.30

In the past I have, eg: skied for 5 hours, changed shoes, paid and driven out then back in again and had 2 hours of apres for free...

An overnight stay is €22 if under 24 hours.
ski holidays
stefoy4me wrote:
we got some free parking at Xmas for the day, just by the garage in La Daile in front of the funi, but may have been lucky it wasnt a busy week

wasnt sure if it was the right call but some guy in a camper said it was fine...LOL.............and it was

If you have a 4x4 with roof box the normal car parks dont work for you

Blimey you were very lucky there. Sometimes when there is a race on they arrange to allow parking there for the participants but otherwise you're taking a chance.
latest report
Sounds like they are opening the Leisse this morning.
snow report
Well there is something to report - a cloud has just appeared over Chardonnet!

On the other hand not a lot, had a slide round the Palet Sector and down to La Daille with a coffee at CocoRico. The pistes are holding up, if a little polished in places, and a lot of the off piste to the side are just like chalky pistes and have less intermidiots on big flappy skis going in straight lines waving their arms about. Both resorts are putting down lots of artificial which certainly helps in the morning, hopefully it will hold up for next week which looks like its going to be a bit busier (2k more cars coming up the Tarentaise valley.

Tomorrow will be sunny, a breeze at altitude and 4 or 5 degs warmer at village level, should make for a good frantic Friday. Saturday will be the same, maybe an odd fluffy cloud in the morning. Sunday day will also be pretty similar, but with a stiff breeze at height and more cloud building late in the afternoon. Overnight there may be a cm or two of snow, depending on how far the weather system to the north east reaches. Any clouds will clear early Monday morning and we are back to sunny days, but a gusty wind which may close the highest lifts.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, I had a great steak in there on Christmas Eve, and last Easter also. Nice bar/restaurant.
ski holidays
Well it must be spring the comedy straw hats are out on the terrace at the Escale Blanche. It was another blue sky day after a bit of early high could evapourated by 9. I went for another exercise skin and it was warm - very warm. I was down to one base layer by the time I reached the top. Just taken the car for a run to Val and back to ensure all is well with the old girl!

Tomorrow will be even warmer and another blue sky day, there may be a few fluffy clouds early. Sunday will see a few more clouds especially late afternoon, these will thcken after lift closure and at some stage before daylight we may get another 2cm of snow, though I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen. There will be a stiff breeze up high on Sunday and this will continue into Monday which will be a bit cooler, but sunny. The wind will drop on Tuesday and it will be another nice day. The nights will still be very cold though.

Travelwise tomorrow the roads are going to be busy, the forecast is for 34k cars coming up hill and 26k returning home. This is 2k more cars than last week so expect delays at the usual places, but earlier than normal as it is Zone A that is off school, so Lyon, Grenoble etc. So the build up will be from around 12 rather than 2 or 3. For the fliers a bit drizzly up north maybe but no dramas, great over here, again its a northerly wind at Chambery so you may get the scenic approach (see 2 weeks ago for details!).
snow conditions
Quote:
Travelwise tomorrow the roads are going to be busy, the forecast is for 34k cars coming up hill and 26k returning home. This is 2k more cars than last week so expect delays at the usual places
Who produces this info @chocksaway? And how do they know Puzzled
ski holidays
@mountainaddict,

https://savoie-route.fr/?lang=fr

Theyv'e being doing it since the 92 Olympics, they are pretty accurate, based on historical evidence which they do publish. Essentially, they must look at who is on holiday, booking levels etc and compare it to 30 years of data. Hence my comments on the forecast for when the jams start tomorrow, somebody is putting some hours in working it all out.

There's a big gantry outside Albertville with lots of cameras on it which I assume does the counting.
ski holidays
Cheers @chocksaway - very interesting stuff. Sounds quite sophisticated - so now wondering if they'll be taking into account our x3 bus transfers this winter, instead of the usual car hire Laughing

We've knocked car hire on the head this winter, due to the exorbitant costs. Really enjoyed the relaxing Ben's Bus experience in January - though not looking forward to leaving Tignes at 03.30 in March... Confused
snow report
@mountainaddict, Same here. When the cost of a private transfer (for group of 7) is cheaper than the hire for a 7 seater car, why not....?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Q Around parking. Is it just the main big carparks that are available? We may end up getting into resort before we can park at our accommodation so just wondered what the backup would be. Would it be a case of having to take a 24h slot at the main car parks even if it's just for a few hours or is there anywhere for "day" visits? (This is half term week too so I expect much of the main parking will be booked)
ski holidays
Where are you staying @Rob_Quads? And when do you arrive?
latest report
A bit late tonight folks thanks to a couple of rugby games (not the results I was hoping for but heh - ho).

Another blue skies and sunshine day - there were a few clouds over Italy, but they didn't bother us! It was a cold start though on very quiet pistes, that's because the roads were very busy especially on the way down. I got a couple of messages of frustration from George VII - 5 hours to get to Lyon airport. So there was a bit of charging around and lunch on the deck at the Rosée Blanche as it was quiche o'clock. However, on the way bach we saw the PGHM helo parked off the piste from Aigulle Percee, it transpires that someone fell off the mini cliff half way down Alaska and broke lots of bones. We watched some incredible flying skills and a departure towards Grenoble, he is lucky to be alive and hopefully he will recover.

On a lighter note the Microlights were doing their Saturday advertising stunt by towing a very long streamer, one actually circled a parapenter, who then managed to fly through the loop made by the streamer - bravo.

The weather, on the whole much the same but cooler for the first part of the week. Tomorrow will start sunny and a few clouds will form in the afternoon, these will thicken after dark, as we are right on the edge of the weather system we may get a cm or two or maybe not, its a close run thing. After a cold night any remaining cloud will vanish leaving another Vera Lynn day. There will be a bot of a breeze behind the bluebirds at altitude. Through the evening a few clouds may form and give a dusting, probably not. Tuesday, another sunny day, cold in the morning. Wednesday - you guessed it - blue skies and sunshine.

For those flying tomorrow - no snags on the weather front.

Long term forecast - little or no snow for another week - get your edges sharpened.
snow report
bobski62 wrote:

Staying in Chalet Skadi on the edge of the main village. What time we plan to arrive - great question. We were looking to leave Annecy around 7ish so I guess that could be anything from 10 to 12ish we might get there.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
A bit late tonight folks thanks to a couple of rugby games (not the results I was hoping for but heh - ho).

Another blue skies and sunshine day - there were a few clouds over Italy, but they didn't bother us! It was a cold start though on very quiet pistes, that's because the roads were very busy especially on the way down. I got a couple of messages of frustration from George VII - 5 hours to get to Lyon airport.

A few friends were staying at Charlies (ex Army, you prob know him) apartment in Lavachet last week and returned yesterday via GVA.

I also got a couple of frustrated messages, the last of which said it took them 3.5 hours to get past Moutiers (~35 miles)

Eeek !
latest report
Rob_Quads wrote:
bobski62 wrote:

Staying in Chalet Skadi on the edge of the main village. What time we plan to arrive - great question. We were looking to leave Annecy around 7ish so I guess that could be anything from 10 to 12ish we might get there.

We’ve used the Chalet Skadi parking before 9 am in arrival with no problem. Out of peak time, and a friendly word with reception but it’s been no issue.
latest report
GreenDay wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

Another blue skies and sunshine day - there were a few clouds over Italy, but they didn't bother us! It was a cold start though on very quiet pistes, that's because the roads were very busy especially on the way down. I got a couple of messages of frustration from George VII - 5 hours to get to Lyon airport.

A few friends were staying at Charlies (ex Army, you prob know him) apartment in Lavachet last week and returned yesterday via GVA.

I also got a couple of frustrated messages, the last of which said it took them 3.5 hours to get past Moutiers (~35 miles)

Eeek !

Do we know why its taking so long ??
Ive allowed 2.5-3 hrs each way Arrive on a Sunday return on a Thursday , beginning of March
snow report
endoman wrote:

We’ve used the Chalet Skadi parking before 9 am in arrival with no problem. Out of peak time, and a friendly word with reception but it’s been no issue.

Thanks, it's good to hear that. Skadi have said if there is room it's fine to come and park so hopefully someone will have left early to beat the rush and we can just park up. Will make life much easier as we can then wander into town and chill before the later check in
snow conditions
Rob_Quads wrote:
endoman wrote:

Thanks, it's good to hear that. Skadi have said if there is room it's fine to come and park so hopefully someone will have left early to beat the rush and we can just park up. Will make life much easier as we can then wander into town and chill before the later check in

Or change in the car park and go skiing when it’s quiet….
latest report
@wasley, Midweek, Geneva is about 2 hrs 50 - 3 hours going at the speed limits, which are extending the journey a bit (doing the length of Bourg at 30 kph seems interminable). You then have to add a bit for rush hours at Annecy. But it takes so long as from just after Albertville its essentially a dead end that is very popular on a Saturday and is served by a normal road.

Today was sunny and cold, exacerbated by a sharp wind at height, but the main question on our lips (after determining where we were having coffee) was where was everybody. It was much quieter than last Sunday (perhaps less day trippers as they all prepare for school hols??). I know Val D is only at 2 thirds occupancy and it showed, there was no queue in the centre at 1030 as we headed to Le Fornet, which is always quiet on a Sunday. So, a day of piste cruising, most pistes are now hard and you need to pick a route over the artificial snow on top, and back for a pack up and a clean as I'm leaving for GVA in the morning, via Snowdrone. I'll be back early March so here's the last detailed daily forecast for a bit.

It clouded over after the lifts shut and a sprinkling of snow should arrive in the next couple of hours, but barely enough to cover the crottes on the pavement. The cloud should be clear by morning leaving a sunny cold day for skiing, but watch out for a chill breeze at height, the cloud will return and there may be another sprinkling tomorrow night. Monday night will be very cold , but Tuesday will be sunny again, watch for the breeze again. Wednesday looks like being cold and sunny and so does Thursday - there may be a few fluffy clouds.

The long range forecast (or as far as a Chinese weather satellite can see - oh hang on) is for this kind of weather to continue until at least the weekend, it then depends on which major model you believe as to whether it remains like this or becomes unsettled.
ski holidays
There are strange white things falling out of the sky, anyone remember what they are called?
snow report
Chinese balloons?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy