Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Upgrades have been made to the Marais chairlift, making it an express lift, with an estimated journey time of 8 minutes and 20 seconds. The lift links the Aiguille Rouge (which is above Tignes 1800) to the Aiguille Percée.

Hmmm, I wonder if that means they plan to put the replacement for Marais on the plateau near to the top of Chaudannes. It's either got to start from somewhere close to where it used to be (so you can get to it from the Gondola), or downhill from the new top of Aguille Rouge. The landing area isn't very big either. If they increase the capacity of the replacement it's going to get a bit crowded up there.

Whatever they do, that's one lift that needs a wind cover. It used to be dead parky if it stopped when you were half way up.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not sure on the current state of play for the Marais. It was delayed by covid (effectively STGM lost a season and a half of revenue, so the share that goes into reinvestment was clearly delayed) and a series of hurdles with the national park authorities and landowners. As I understand it from a (very) lengthy document on the Marie website it has now got the go ahead. But there is also pressure from the powers that be within the HMS Club Med project that they want Tichot replacing by a gondola, but they hit regulatory hurdles, so we'll wait and see what happens first.

Next up, its probably worth a word about avalanche risk. There has been 4 notable avalanches within the Tarentaise today including a death in Les Arcs. Tomorrow the risk is the same, conditions haven't changed much so beware. The only big rescue I heard in the EK about was more a ski mountaineering rescue (lots of ropes and a helo) in the Filet de Sache (ie if you go past the final escape onto the Sache piste under the nets), with lots of snow its very picturesque, at other times its a frozen waterfall.

Today started with learning how French door handles work, one of the handles on an internal door just came off in my hand last night, luckily I was on the same side of the door as my pliers, so I could escape. Once I had worked out the mechanics, the next step was to work out all the measurements, its more complex than I thought! Anyway, I will arrive in Weldom with product codes in the morning!

Having spent an hour on that, it was just about warm enough to go out. A groupf of us wnet off and got to Merles, which has 2 thermometers, one read -15 the other -17! We got down into Val Claret, where the queues were huge. Lanches was being de-iced and Tufs was bust, at some stage the Funi also broke down. So an early coffee at Aspen was the only option. After 20 minutes normal service was resumed. The pistes are in great condition now and there are still freshtracks not far from the piste, if you know where to lurk. So lots of fun was has before I returned to admin, calls from mates re next week etc.

For the next few days we are in a slack high pressure situation, so mainly blue skies and cold as the air is from the frozen North. A depression is developing over Sicily from Sunday onwards, one to keep an eye on as it gets quite close, so there is a slim chance of more cloud and a few flocons, but probably not.

Tomorrow will be a degree or colder than today and above about 2800m there could be a stiff breeze, so Baltic with a capital B aloft. The sky should be just about cloudless in the morning with a few fluffy sheep in the afternoon. Saturday will be very similar but the breeze will disappear. There might be early morning mist in the lowest parts of the resort (just an early note that the 4 airports serving us are to the north are expecting light snow/sleet showers and cloud- more detail tomorrow on potential impacts.) A little less cold on Sunday and again clear skies in the morning and fluffy clouds in the afternoon. Monday will depend on the position of that low, models are reacting differently so sun or a covering of high clouds and a bit warmer.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chocksaway,

Yes, yesterday compared to the EK it would have been warmer skiing in the freezer part of my fridge/freezer, that's only -15deg C.

I'm getting confusing alerts on my phone for ice, snow & avalanche because they were for the UK. The other forecast I saw was for slightly less cold weather here in the EK????.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
According to météo tarantaise it was - 24'c in Tignes village last night Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!

For us northerners today's temperature will mean a coat is required Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stewart woodward, Showing -20c at the top of Toviere at 3pm today. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yip, about -16 on the balcony this morning, I think Meteo Tarentaise was using an app! I delayed the shopping trip till 10 to give the car a chance, but it was still -13 then. The water temp on the car didn't bother the gauge till I was pulling into Weldom. But the snowy trees in the sun looked very picturesque on the way down. I did see some cars abandoned and wonder if they had succumbed to the diesel waxing. I suspect the garage may be busy with recoveries in the morning for those parked outside in an oil burner. Top tip, get up early if you are worried, there is only so much towing capacity.

So the fridge is now full and I have a swanky new door handle, it looks so good I might replace the rest.

Tomorrow will be another cold one with a sharp breeze at altitude. There will be a few clouds about the peaks but nothing to worry about. Sunday will be similar, perhaps a bit more cloud, still baltic. The temps will rise a bit on Monday, cold, sunny and fluffy clouds,, with a chance of a light shower by night. The jury is out on Tuesday, as there is a weather system approaching from the south-east, predictions vary on how far it is coming. But, it will be warmer, it should start sunny but may cloud over later.

For the travellers tomorrow, its getting a bit busier on the roads with 27k vehicles heading up the hill and 21 going down (counted just after Albertville). So a few hold ups at peak time in the afternoon. The roads are pretty much black already to the village, but the side roads are a bit snowy so you may need chains to get to the apts or the parking (especially Golf).

For the fliers, over here there may be a bit of light snow early doors affecting Chambery, Lyon and Grenoble but it will be mostly done by 0900 and shouldn't cause many issues as it will be light and cold. However, there is a stiff northerly forecast at Chambery, so you may get treated to a normal approach heading south down the Lake follow by a fairly dramatic but safe manoeuvre where Biggles breaks off the approach to circle round to the northerly runway. It gets quite up close and personal to the cliffs for those in seats A to C. In D to F you get to spy down the Veluxes of Chambery. Of Course, it will be a normal take-off heading North for those leaving, you will certainly be climbing like a homesick angel! In the UK there is a reasonable chance of early freezing fog at Bristol, Brum, Luton, Newcastle and Geoff Boycott International, which may slow things up a bit as the chess pieces are moved round the board a little slower than usual. But as it will be OK tonight, as long as your plane is parked there overnight it won't be a long wait. Bing Bong Doors to automatic.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chocksaway, always love your weather / flying descriptions - you've a great way with words!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway,

[Geoffrey Boycott]

Don't you mean Sir Geoffrey Boycott
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chocksaway, After getting chilled to the bone yesterday, we decided to go shopping in Bourg as well. Wasn't the valley an amazing sight - especially on the way back up. Good to have supplies in before the weekend, but blimy, even for those of us who live at 1000ft in Yorkshire, it's bloody cold out there!. I've have my full Canada kit on and I'm just about coping. Blue
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway, The auto centre in La Daille had a steady stream of vehicles arriving on flat beds last night and has continued this morning.

After yesterday’s extremely cold weather we’re delaying going out until temperatures have risen slightly. Most of the lifts were showing around -16 yesterday. The heated socks and gloves barely managed to take the edge of the cold. I usually only need to charge the sock batteries every second day but by 1600 they had fully drained.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cold, sunny Saturday skiing, with empty pistes, what's not to like Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stewart woodward, The snow cannons running down into La Daille, brutal. I nearly had to put my flat cap on. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Other than that I agree!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another blue sky day and very cold, but those snow cannons were about as welcome as a you know what in a spacesuit. The pistes are generally in very good condition, just a few hard areas on steep busy areas (top of OK Orange and JC-Trolles). Spookily, Mr and Mrs@lynnecha were in Rosies warming up at the same time. Great minds think alike! The afternoon has been spent getting stuff ready ahead of an invasion of chums tomorrow.

I see Birmingham lost the fog lottery this morning, hope the delays weren't too bad. And I trust those that flew into Chambery enjoyed the views. The roads doo look a little busy at the moment but not too bad.

Tomorrow will be another cold day with a bit more cloud than today, the sky may be covered in the afternoon, a cheeky breeze at altitude will be testing on the cheeks. The detail for Monday is a bit tricky, that Low over Sicily that I mentioned the other day is getting a bit close now. The morning should be bright but at some time between lunch and dinner clouds will arrive with light snow. It may not arrive till after dark hopefully. Those showers may last into Tuesday morning but will soon be replaced with sun and fluffy clouds, and it will be far less cold. Wednesday - best guess cloud as we wake up with the sky clearing in the morning.

For those flying tomorrow, there will be a few very light snow showers for the French airports, but they shouldn't cause too much bother. In the UK the problems will be down south with freezing fog. Luton and Stansted are forecasting it as a dead cert (always a brave statement) and there are chances of it at Thiefrow, Birmingham and Gatwick. If they all get fog it will be carnage, as diversion airports will be in short supply and at longer distance, the flows will be reduced etc etc, so watch out for consolidations on busy routes, cancellations etc. A morning to be 'on the App'.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On a slightly different tangent where is the recomended boot fitter in tignes now that both jojo and guy claret have retired??
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When I did some research for Old Fartbag, I came up with Michel at Richermoz in VC. OF has a fitting in the morning so we will find out!
snow conditions
@chocksaway
Very interested to see/hear how that goes!
Really inconsiderate of jojo and guy shutting down like that!!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
@snowornever, I will report back on how it goes.

I had narrowed it down to three:

Tignes Spirit
Mountain Story
Michel Richermoz
snow conditions
@oldfartbag
Tignes spirit handiest
Mountain story ok with nice caff
Michel ok just opposite Roger’s caff I believe
See the trend?
Toofy Grin
latest report
It was another cold and bright morning, but a veil of cloud appeared around mid-morning and then disappeared again. The resort is certainly busier, I hope we had a lot of weekenders. I had a couple of changes of plan as I had a 3 hour charge around ahead of mates arriving. Val Claret was chocker at 1100, luckily you can see the queues from the top of Tov. Likewise, Aiguille Percee was busy, but Chaudannes and the Brev bubble were deserted. But I did meet somebody who flew in Chambery yesterday and was glad she had read my description of the procedure.

The weather is mainly going to be sunny spells and a bit warmer for the rest of the week. In detail, tomorrow will start clear and very cold, some fluffy clouds will build through the day and a light dusting of snow should arrive after dark. A breeze will not help the finger ends! Maybe 2-5cm if it struggles over the mountains from Italy. Depending on the progress of the weather system Tuesday should start sunny and a bit less cold, the breeze will still be there. A few clouds will build on the peaks later. Wednesday looks like a carbon copy of Tuesday. Not much change for Thursday either, maybe a bit more cloud.

Right back to chalet boy duties.
snow report
snowornever wrote:
@oldfartbag
Tignes spirit handiest
Mountain story ok with nice caff
Michel ok just opposite Roger’s caff I believe
See the trend?
Toofy Grin

Reporting back.

The one thing I know about Miss Fartbagette, is that whatever she buys always ends up decimating the budget….but I was hoping this would not follow the normal trend.

We arrived at the shop at our agreed time, only to find that Michel was at Kitzbuhel due to having something to do with a racer that had success.

So we went with the Bootfitter that was there. His English was just about sufficient and we had to speak slowly. He looked at her bare feet and then put her on a scanner. This was the only measurement taken.

I was the one who brought up what sort of skier she was. He produced some Salomon S Pro 90 in a 25. This seemed roughly what I expected. When she put them on, they felt very snug, but comfortable. The trouble was, when the cuff was done up, it pinched her calf ie between the tongue and the side of the boot. This is something she always finds. We tried a slightly narrower Atomic, which had the same issue, but was also a touch too narrow.

The chap then disappeared and came back with a different Salomon liner. It had a tongue that wrapped around the shin more and felt much more comfortable, as it didn’t nip her calf as badly.

I asked the price and was told €150. Shocked It turned out that it was Salomon’s Custom Heat liner…but it was the only thing that felt comfortable. She also suffers Reynauds, so it could well be a blessing. When I said it was much more than we wanted to spend, the chap got the Ok from Michael’s wife to knock €50 off the liners.

I asked for a Shell Check - and while the Bootfitter thought it unnecessary, he humoured me. There was around 20mm. I asked to try the next size down - which scrunched her toes up at the end of the boot.

Miss F is delighted and rates warm comfort over the tightest possible fit….and if she is not on board with the choice, they will never be right.

So, in conclusion, the fitting didn’t go as I expected, but I think the boots are suitable. We can come back if there are any issues…but in your case, I would insist on seeing Michel himself. As the week progresses we will get a better idea of how good a choice they were.
snow report
@Old fartbag
That’s very encouraging!
I’ve had another recommendation for Michel which is good and was pre warned that he wasn’t always there so booked in for Tuesday pm!
Will be interesting to compare him with jojo who was great!
Very Happy
snow report
@snowornever, My boots were fitted by JoJo and I’m very happy with them.

We may even call back and see Michel himself, who is back tomorrow, just to make sure all is as it should be.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
@snowornever, My boots were fitted by JoJo and I’m very happy with them.

We may even call back and see Michel himself, who is back tomorrow, just to make sure all is as it should be.

Always good to keep the boss in the loop!
snow conditions
Over the cornflakes it seemed like it was going to be another blue sky day. But a veil of cloud soon appeared, and then it thickened and even a few flakes appeared by lunchtime. I was stuck in the local area with the mates who arrived as, for a couple of good reasons, couldn't stray to far from home. The pistes are generally in good condition, but on some steep high traffic areas a modicum of skill wouldn't go amiss. We did witness a couple of games of skittles! However, it does seem that the standard of skiing is not what you would expect in T-VDI in January. It also seems busier than normal, I wonder if people have been attracted by the high altitude and moved up from lower resorts that are more attractive to early intermediates. Does anyone else feel the same?? Answers on a postcard. After we came home the sky did clear partially, so a good afternoon was probably had by thos who stuck it out.

The biggest problem with today's forecast is what is going to happen tonight. How far this pesky system to the South-east is going to get over the mountains is still a matter of debate. It is probably going to cloud over again and there may weel be anything from a dusting to 5cm of new snow. This may last till just after lift opening when we should be left with a sunny morning and a stiff easterly breeze (off pisters not the change in direction over the last 24 hours). A few fluffy clouds will move around the peaks later. Wednesday - sunny spells, cloud and a breeze. Thursday same but a bit cooler. Friday, on current forecasts looks glorious.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, your description of what it was like today exactly matches what we found.

There were lots of people skiing very poorly and erratically - so much so that an ESF Instructor going up the Marmottes Chair with us - when seeing an out of control Snowboarder nearly wipe out several skiers said, “Jelly head…You understand that?”

Eyes were needed in the back of your head.
snow conditions
Yes
Seems much busier than usual and many close misses from the sit back and go straight brigade of idiots!
Had tignes done a deal to attract students doing distance learning instead of actual work?
snow report
Yes
Seems much busier than usual and many close misses from the sit back and go straight brigade of idiots!
Had tignes done a deal to attract students doing distance learning instead of actual work?
ski holidays
Yep, much busier compared to the same period in previous years and generally a lower standard of skill and intelligence. Encountered someone snow ploughing down the Golf yesterday - how she managed to get down remains a mystery.
Certainly evidence of folk switching from lower resorts.
Went to Fornet today with the idea of doing the Gd. Vallon, but weather had totally closed in and it was snowing hard up that end.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep. Same experience. We skied over to Val Claret and it was variable, both in terms of conditions and the company - but on the way back early afternoon it was very flat light and a lot of people struggling. We came down Palafour and really had to watch from all directions. Hopefully it will be better when the lights come back on with a bit of blue sky tomorrow.
latest report
snowornever wrote:
Yes

'Reading' week?
ski holidays
This is happening in Les Arcs a lot too. I thought maybe I'm just getting old but no there are lots of people straight lining and not just on quiet pistes but into heavy traffic too. It's the first time I've felt something needs to be done like a licence or somesuch.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
Over the cornflakes it seemed like it was going to be another blue sky day. But a veil of cloud soon appeared, and then it thickened and even a few flakes appeared by lunchtime. I was stuck in the local area with the mates who arrived as, for a couple of good reasons, couldn't stray to far from home. The pistes are generally in good condition, but on some steep high traffic areas a modicum of skill wouldn't go amiss. We did witness a couple of games of skittles! However, it does seem that the standard of skiing is not what you would expect in T-VDI in January. It also seems busier than normal, I wonder if people have been attracted by the high altitude and moved up from lower resorts that are more attractive to early intermediates. Does anyone else feel the same?? Answers on a postcard. After we came home the sky did clear partially, so a good afternoon was probably had by thos who stuck it out.

The biggest problem with today's forecast is what is going to happen tonight. How far this pesky system to the South-east is going to get over the mountains is still a matter of debate. It is probably going to cloud over again and there may weel be anything from a dusting to 5cm of new snow. This may last till just after lift opening when we should be left with a sunny morning and a stiff easterly breeze (off pisters not the change in direction over the last 24 hours). A few fluffy clouds will move around the peaks later. Wednesday - sunny spells, cloud and a breeze. Thursday same but a bit cooler. Friday, on current forecasts looks glorious.

Yes I thought it felt busy today too and lots of 'interesting' techniques on show today!

By the way Chocks - Retour is raging up the Fornet way so if you can see much tomorrow then there could be a very tidy amount of fresh snow up there by tomorrow morning to enjoy - im heading that way if the weather looks ok me thinks
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:

Yes I thought it felt busy today too and lots of 'interesting' techniques on show today!

By the way Chocks - Retour is raging up the Fornet way so if you can see much tomorrow then there could be a very tidy amount of fresh snow up there by tomorrow morning to enjoy - im heading that way if the weather looks ok me thinks
ski holidays
Back in Val Claret 4th Feb after a December trip but only getting in to resort 10:30-11pm. Been to Tignes a few times but not arrived that late before. Will we be able to get a bite to eat that late? Looks like the burger bar next to the Sherpa will still be open but dont know if they will still be serving food. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
snow report
@Kenzie, Yes UK uni exams are over and the next term doesn’t start for another few weeks, but from what I’ve noticed it’s a largely German and French speaking guests that have arrived over the last few days.

The amount of accidents today was unbelievable, we even watched the rescue helicopter land at the side of the Tommeuses lift around lunch time. The slopes seemed busier today than even during the festive holidays.

Upside is it’s snowing
snow report
@Erewegoagain,

I would suggest you call somewhere in the valley on the way to Tignes.

Most places will have stopped serving by the time you arrive.
snow report
@Steve Angus, I was tempted to use the 'R' mot when I first mentioned this, but thought that would raise expectations too much..... I was perhaps over influenced by yesterdays MF Avi Bulletin which said no snow for us, luckily it was wrong!

But the scores on the doors are 18cm in the village and 20 up high, in Tignes, I wouldn't mind a bet that there is 40cm in Le Fornet. The weather should clear by late morning:
Gentlemen start your engines (but be careful it will slide off the hard pack)
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@Steve Angus, I was tempted to use the 'R' mot when I first mentioned this, but thought that would raise expectations too much..... I was perhaps over influenced by yesterdays MF Avi Bulletin which said no snow for us, luckily it was wrong!

But the scores on the doors are 18cm in the village and 20 up high, in Tignes, I wouldn't mind a bet that there is 40cm in Le Fornet. The weather should clear by late morning:
Gentlemen start your engines (but be careful it will slide off the hard pack)

Totally. Pummelling down still in val and fornet especially socked in. Reckon 30cm+ and more fornet way. Trees morning me thinks. Bus straight up there if my new addition to the group sounds strong enough. Fingers crossed.
latest report
My totally unscientific measure of how busy it will be on the slopes is how big the queue at the bun shop is in the morning. Last 2 days there has been a queue out the door, which usually only happens in the festive period. Today only one person in front. Now wether long weekenders have cleared off or folk just don’t fancy today’s conditions will require further refinement of the model.
snow conditions
@stewart woodward, Thanks, but we are on a Bensbus transfer so not an option. Will have to grab something at GVA before we leave then.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy