Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
We have an apartment booked in Les Grandes Platières in Val Claret for Jan. It apparently comes with a free parking space but don't know if this is outside or underground. We plan to park a Ford Transit in the space and so want check the car park isn't an incredibly tight space, have parked in Golf before and found it a tight fit for the SUV I was driving. Has anyone stayed in Les Grandes Platières before and have any knowledge of the parking spaces, not getting much back from the booking company at the moment.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 27-10-22 7:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sbooker, TDC & Snoworks both top choices. Also New Gen, Tignes Off Piste (Kev Herbert), ICE (Val d’Isere)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sbooker, snoworks are great not sure without checking if they're running Tignes courses in Jan though. ESF run off piste groups(not so great in my experience)as well as SCGB off piste instructor led guiding.
Also alpine experience in VDI even though youre in tignes it could work
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^^^^^
Thanks for the tips.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chocksaway wrote:
@richjp, If I remember rightly, there is a waiting list for parking in Lavachet, kind if a grandfather's right thing. Slots for newbies open later.

You are probably right. Last season I was only able to book at the very end of October.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Grinning, Appreciate that. I'll take a look in to those options.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sbooker, also try https://alpineexperience.com/en/home-page/ but meet places usual Val D based IIRC (and their blog is great reading to check snow conditions!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Grinning, I think the second option you gave of the Manchet Valley would look something along the lines of this below?

Screenshot-2022-10-27-at-12-00-52
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have now booked my parking at the reduced Props scheme rate. I have not had confirmation yet as there is probably no-one to check it on a Friday afternoon. Hope they do it on Monday as my credit card lapses at midnight!

Heads up parts of the website do not work on my brand new Mac Book Pro, but on the 9 year old Windows 8 it was fine. (the green chosir button flashed and vanished so I couldn't click through the various 'etapes').
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I presume you are using Safari on the Mac Book Pro, try Google Chrome or Firefox instead and it will probably work.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway,
Windows 8? I didn't realise the French were that upto date with IT/interweb!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@swskier, exactly
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NoMapNoCompass, I was hoping to avoid that sort of faff by moving to Apple, but I'll bear it in mind for the future, ta. But the website is poor, it only works in landscape for some mobiles and keeps crashing. Smacks of a rushed job.

@Kenzie, I think they are still smarting from the WWW knocking Minitel off the perch wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:

@Kenzie, I think they are still smarting from the WWW knocking Minitel off the perch wink

Oh, yes, Minitel - France was going to lead the world in IT!
To say smarting is an understatement - I remember how hard it was to find @ on a French keyboard - is that still the case?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
EK season lift passes still not for sale from Tignes but are from VDI. Any reason not to buy from VDI?
ski holidays
Quote:

Any reason not to buy from VDI?

I've done this in the past with no problems. In fact, fewer problems than folk who bought their pass from Tignes, in that my VDI pass worked on first use in Tignes whereas theirs didn't. However, whichever site you buy from, there is an odds-on chance that it won't work until you complain to the local ski pass office wherever you happen to be that it doesn't work.
ski holidays
Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy)

Could snowHeads come up with an apt short name for the whole area, that was formerly known as Espace Killy? Nothing too risqué now. Definitely no double entendres on the theme of Grand Mottes, or anything like that. Blue
ski holidays
Looking to park a car in the centre using https://www.parkingvaldisere.com. Does anyone know if they need a vehicle reg to do the booking as we will be renting a motor. Anyone have any better parking ideas. Not looking to walk miles at 5am to retrieve the car on departure. We will be there 22-26th December. Ta muchly
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy)

Could snowHeads come up with an apt short name for the whole area, that was formerly known as Espace Killy? Nothing too risqué now. Definitely no double entendres on the theme of Grand Mottes, or anything like that. Blue

No sure what was wrong with EK tbqhwy....................
snow conditions
We need to rent a space to park a mini-van for a week in Val Claret starting Jan 28th. Our apartment in Grandes Platières comes with a free space but it is in the underground car park and the height clearance isn't sufficient.

Is Grande Motte okay for a Ford Transit - previously when we arrive via car we have usually parked indoors in Golf but the spaces can be tight in there as well. I found it okay in an SUV but wouldn't have wanted to park a van in there. Note this is not a camper van, I am aware on the ban on those during winter.
latest report
@GreenDay,
Quote:

No sure what was wrong with EK tbqhwy....................

I agree...but they've dropped that name now rolling eyes

How about...

snow report
Depicts a quick 360 look around the top of a mountain. Followed by an attempted flatliner down. One wrong turn to the left. Then, on rejoining the piste, swept wide to the right by an out of control kid.

Wonder if anyone used that image before?
snow conditions
@Grinning, thank you
snow report
@Grinning,

If the link between the 2 resorts is closed can you use a VDI pass in Tignes?

Also note - I believe that the Tommeuse 8 man chairlift is a Tignes lift not a VDI lift!!
snow conditions
@PeakyB,

They dropped the name "Espace Killy" because only old gits like me remember when Jean Claude won the 1968 Olympics in Grenoble.

Young people who come to the area have never heard of him.
latest report
Quote:
Is Grande Motte okay for a Ford Transit
About 90% of the GM car park has gone NoMapNoCompass Confused The site has been built on and the car park has disappeared under a massive Club Med development.

There's only a small bit of the car park left, at the entrance end. Space in there will be at a premium until the new multi-storey car park that is mooted actually happens.

ski holidays
Big out door parking is going to be at a premium. Only season passes on sale at the moment. But pre covid the GM park was not bookable until the day depending on snow clearance. There is the new outdoor park in Boisses to consider. I have also seen a number of vans in Lac 3, which was built in 2000ish so not designed on the dimensions of a 2 CV.
latest report
Thanks chocksaway, mountainaddict .

It is a short wheelbase Ford Transit mini-bus so would in theory fit in Golf but when I was in it in April it felt tight in a VW Tiguan and I witnessed someone in a BMW 5-series estate having a nightmare.

Might try Boisses instead or failing that book two cars instead of the one mini-van.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welshflyer wrote:
@Grinning,

If the link between the 2 resorts is closed can you use a VDI pass in Tignes?

No. You need either a Tignes pass or a T-VdI (Tignes - Val d'Isere) pass.

welshflyer wrote:
@Grinning,

Also note - I believe that the Tommeuse 8 man chairlift is a Tignes lift not a VDI lift!!

You are correct. If you only have a VdI pass you won't get past the gates on Tommeuses.
latest report
@bobski62,

Grinning wrote - "EK season lift passes still not for sale from Tignes but are from VDI. Any reason not to buy from VDI?"

I was telling Grinning that if he bought his seasons pass from VDI he may not be able to use it in Tignes if the links are closed.
latest report
In my experience a VDI season pass will work in Tignes even if links not yet open. Done it at least twice. Plan to be out for first day of winter season. Not skied since Jan 6th
snow report
@welshflyer, Not sure that's the case. I've had Val (all-area, Season) passes when based in Tignes, and have never known them not to work. Having to activate a "Val" pass at a Val area gate for first use is a thing of the past.

Conversely, in previous seasons, friends with Season (edit. all area) passes purchased in Tignes, have driven around to La Daille and skied in the trees down there when the weather has closed the links and most lifts in Tignes. Just my experience. Someone may have had different outcomes.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 1-11-22 20:23; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Forgive me, I'll clarify, based on my own experience (which matches that of @GeorgeVII).

A VDI pass will only work in Val d'Isere, whether for a season, a week or a day.

A Tignes pass will only work in Tignes whether for a season, a week or a day.

A Tignes-VDI pass will work anywhere in Tignes - Val d'Isere, irrespective of whether you bought it in Tignes or in Val d'Isere and irrespective of link status and irrespective of whether for a season, a week or a day.
snow conditions
I think I mispoke a bit - I meant to say that a full EK pass will work at all times in both resorts. bobski62 has it right
snow report
Tracks on the glacier!
[img]https://ibb.co/4RjhFS9[/img]
snow report
Mark1863 wrote:
I think I mispoke a bit - I meant to say that a full EK pass will work at all times in both resorts. bobski62 has it right

That’s been my experience too. Only downside to buying from the ‘wrong’ resort is that you have to collect from the order resort.
Anyway, it’s a moot point now as the passes are now open for buying on the Tignes site.
latest report
I’m having difficulty finding a suitable group off piste course for my week in Tignes commencing January 8.
If anyone is keen to share a guide for 4 or 5 days please shout out.
snow conditions
@sbooker, have you seen this https://www.oxygene.ski/product/adult-steep-deep-off-piste-tignes/ ?
snow report
@rambotion,
No. And thanks. It looks perfect!
I’m wondering if they run regardless of skier numbers? A lot of the ski schools only do the course if they get a certain number of people.
ski holidays
Quote:
Have you seen this.

No. And thanks.
Me neither rambotion. Ta for that. I see they do daily ski touring too. Great!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy