Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
@stefoy4me, Triffolet in the La Daille sector. If you book you get the nicer area upstairs.
Edelweiss across in Fornet. These are the 2 more mid range places that we like.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thank you, will probably stay La Daille sector, as the youngers want to see what all this FD is about...LOL

where marks the boundary for VDI only pass? the top of Toveire/Tommesues ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stefoy4me, Tommeuses is a Tignes lift.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

where marks the boundary for VDI only pass? the top of Toveire/Tommesues ?

Roughly, the line marked by Mont Blanc and Borsat Express lifts. But does include the snow park. As @rjs says, Tommeuses is a Tignes lift. You can't get to the top of Toviere on a Val pass.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thank you RJS & George...appreciated

Is there still an open air car park at La Daille....that takes vehicles over 2.00m.......all the on line parking indicates not...or do you only need to book for a week ?

There was a coach park there too when i went several years ago.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@stefoy4me,
The only lift you can get on with a VDI only pass that would allow access to Tignes is Borsat chairlift, via the Fresse and Isolee pistes. Avoiding the Isolee piste keeps you in VDI.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stefoy4me wrote:
thank you RJS & George...appreciated

Is there still an open air car park at La Daille....that takes vehicles over 2.00m.......all the on line parking indicates not...or do you only need to book for a week ?

There was a coach park there too when i went several years ago.

No there isnt - nothing over 2m outdoors but (depending on height) then Cret parking (underground) which is more or less La Daille anyway goes to 2.3m I think it is!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any recommendations for a local taxi company?

I need to head from Tignes to Val d'Isère tomorrow afternoon (some luggage and a slightly complicated key pick-up at the other end so prefer not to rely on the shuttle. I can't actually work out from https://en.tignes.net/resort-guide/la-navette-tignes-val-disere whether there even are shuttles running at this stage of the season - the timetables there seem completely messed up....)

All ideas gratefully received Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Steve…… had a reply from tourist office suggesting where the buses park Eh oh!

Ring the buzzer and someone will open it apparently

Surely I can’t be the only person with a roof box on a 4x4 in a ski resort Eh oh! Eh oh!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stefoy4me wrote:
Thanks Steve…… had a reply from tourist office suggesting where the buses park Eh oh!

Ring the buzzer and someone will open it apparently

Surely I can’t be the only person with a roof box on a 4x4 in a ski resort Eh oh! Eh oh!

Cool never heard of that possibility but game changer if you can. Excellent
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@parigi, Theres quite a few taxi companies, they all lurk behind the Maison de Tignes at Lac, pretty much do the same job. As its a Friday they won't all be in Geneva.

Getting excitable messages from around Tignes and Bourg, so better go to the met office. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Okey Dokey

Winters here then, its going to be a mixed bag over the next week with sun and more snow, but not horrendous amounts. But dig out your thermals as the mercury is going to plunge (thats a chocksaway plunge not a Daily Express one) late Saturday.

The light snow will continue today and there will be the odd shower tomorrow when it will remain cloudy, it will feel cold. But over Saturday night its going to get cold, balticly cold. Sunday will see the sun and a few fluffy clouds but the daytime maximum in the villages will be -10 degs or so, on the Motte think Amundsen. Check each other for frostbite..... Monday will be another bone chiller, it will start with sunny periods but progressively cloud over. It will be a bit warmer on Tuesday as the next front approaches, it may be sunshine and showers in the morning but later on it should be overcast with moderate snow showers. on current projections Wednesday will be stormy, windy and snowy with the odd glimpse of sun, the air willl be warmer but with the wind chill I expect testing conditions.

Wrap up and keep an eye on the avalanche reports!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@chocksaway, re. the Motte. Pal wasted a morning yesterday going up the funi, then discovering the only ski route down was from top of the glacier and a huge queue for the cable, estimated 30-40 mins wait. So they gave up and got the funi back down again. V poor preparation and lack of info from STGM imho.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Trying to book car parking in Val d'Isere but it won't let me as I have no registration as I am in a rental. Any ideas peeps?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Frosty the Snowman, Scroll back through this thread Frosty. Dozens of posts about booking parking in Tignes. But mostly in relation to the p1$$ poor performance of Indigo, the newly appointed parking (mis)management company.
latest report
Quote:
Pal wasted a morning yesterday going up the funi, then discovering the only ski route down was from top of the glacier and a huge queue for the cable, estimated 30-40 mins wait. So they gave up and got the funi back down
When we there last week, we had a similar situation. It was late afternoon and we got off the Vanoise Chair to find the GM Cable Car shut. The little chairlift down to the glacier was closed too. So nowhere to go except down on the funi... Confused

I was convinced (from trips of yesteryear) that it was merely a short pop from the bottom of the little chair to the run down to the Vanoise/Lanches Chairs - so we ducked the rope and skied down the ridge to the left of the cable car station. Gulp! Shocked It was a lot further than I thought and was a mix of rock hopping and following tracks towards the distant run. Off piste on the glacier... Not clever rolling eyes - but it fortunately ended OK and we had a good ski down.

Under the circumstances, not sure why they were allowing people onto the Vanoise Chair Puzzled

latest report
So, who is going to be the first on the new Aiguille Rouge chair? Well when it opens after the avi prep.
snow report
Quote:
So, who is going to be the first on the new Aiguille Rouge chair?
Not me! Will look forward to trying it out in January.
snow report
Can I assume that by Monday Face will likely open so that it will actually be possible to back into Val from bellevarde? At the moment it looks like all routes into Val are shut.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
have a feeling it might need to be pretty much exactly a week. Any less or more and it won't give you a slot
An utterly scandalous peak season set up Evil or Very Mad...They're doing everything they can to put people off visiting Tignes Confused

Are you sure they're not trying to encourage people to travel by public and shared transport options?
ski holidays
thecramps wrote:
Can I assume that by Monday Face will likely open so that it will actually be possible to back into Val from bellevarde?

Have you got race skis?
ski holidays
@rjs, is it closed for racing after sundays racing then? A few years ago it was open next day after sundays racing. Bit icy but fine.
ski holidays
Face is injected with water for wc races which freezes and provides the competitors with consistent conditions. For the period just after it reopens those conditions are likely to remain, errm, consistent.

So... Some nice sharp race skis might be the order of the day if you are keen to give it a shot @thecramps.

I shall be avoiding it for a little while, personally.
snow report
@bobski62, It's fine. Quite good fun, and an easy side slip* when it gets to scraped off. And it's a very wide piste anyway. There's always some snow to find somewhere. First thing in the morning it's a great piste, just about my favourite in the whole EK

* even if unintentional snowHead
snow report
Hi, last minute had to rent a car for tonight Geneva to Tignes Le Lac (flight delayed and gonna miss shared transfer). Anyone know if snow tires needed now? Or winter tires OK? Thx again so much to this wonderful community.
ski holidays
@honky2, proper snow tyres, as in studded? I can't see those being available
snow report
Winter tires or chains
snow conditions
Winter tyres (snowflake symbol)
AND
Chains in boot
You shouldn’t need them but if you do then you have them!
Plus police will stop you before climb to resort until you fit chains if they deem. Conditions require them
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Are you sure they're not trying to encourage people to travel by public and shared transport options?
Hmmm....Would be laudable but I just can't see it Confused Surely they'd be highlighting their green credentials if that was the case?

Mammon is their god so unlikely to be an environmental decision IMO. More like an approach of 'Sod them, the mugs will pay whatever parking charges we see fit to extort.'
latest report
Not directly Tignes related, but we were supposed to fly very early doors from Manchester yesterday to Portugal. Cue a very stressful day. Delays to get de-iced. Technical fault that had us returning to the gate. Missed slot again. Runway closed. Wait. Wait some more. Announcement that the Airport was shut until least 1230. Wait... then EasyJet tell us they've cancelled our flight and 7 others.

Utter chaos. Took an hour to get us off the plane. Back through Passport Control, then wait for our hold bags. Soon became apparent that ski flights had been cancelled. We heard one guy berating baggage reclaim staff. They had managed to lose his son's ski bag even though they'd never actually left the ground. No idea if people had any luck getting out to the Alps.

EJ offered no help or assistance whatsoever. The standard response was "you need to go on the App". For us there wasn't another MAN/Faro flight until Tuesday. Eventually, after badgering check-in staff to call in a manager, they did so. By some miracle (sarcasm ), she was able to re-allocate us onto a 4-30pm flight from L'pool to Faro. But we had to make our own way there. Fortunately another couple in the same predicament, and had a car at T1, offered us a lift with them.

All thanks to a couple of inches of snow up North.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 12-12-22 11:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
What a carry on @GeorgeVII Shocked

In those circumstances is it the usual easyjet take it or leave it approach - or do they offer any recompense? Confused
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Trying to book car parking in Val d'Isere but it won't let me as I have no registration as I am in a rental. Any ideas peeps?

Morning, I have the same problem (in Tignes). I managed to make the booking by typing rental car into the car type box. I have read the FAQ and it mentions logging in and opening 'My account' where you have a dropdown list of options one of which is 'My vehicles'. You are able to click on that and add a vehicle once you know the reg number. However, I have emailed Indigo Neo to try to confirm that this is possible and this is the response :

"To answer your question, a reservation is linked to the license plate of the vehicle to which it is associated and to perfect your information, know that our system has been programmed so that it accepts any type of license plate, you have put as plate, our system can not determine that you do not know the license plate of your vehicle.Therefore, you must cancel this reservation 1 hour before departure to be fully reimbursed and make a new one with the right license plate, because it is not possible to modify a reservation."

So, there are conflicting views on what to do with a rental vehicle!!!!
snow report
@mountainaddict,
Quote:

or do they offer any recompense?

No help whatsoever. They did kindly sell us some refreshments whilst we were stuck on the plane at the gate wink

Speaking to others who made over to Liverpool it appears that if you "go on the App", then you have to pay for an alternative flight and claim a refund for the cancelled one. Same with taxis. Pay and submit receipts.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 12-12-22 19:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/WQws2Jig9ck
snow conditions
Anyone have any knowledge if there's any big second hand ski sale type events near Tignes over the Christmas week, or do these all happen pre season?

After some skis and before I go down the brand new route, want to see if I can find something cheaper. Will have the van so can drive somewhere to check it out.
snow report
Usually all happen pre-season or the usual Facebook ads etc. Not often there is something like that during the season!
snow report
@Steve Angus, that was my suspicion. I'll check for local facebook ads when we're out. Looking for a specific sort of length and radius, rather than just one specific ski, so hopefully that won't limit me too much!

Ps, if anyone has anything round a 175cm R15-18m top end of piste/race ski they're considering selling, let me know!
snow report
@swskier, ping skimottaret I'm sure he had some GS skis for sale
snow conditions
@kitenski, yes he said that to me on the ski instructor journey thread, but got a feeling they're too long at turn Radius too long also, as they're for eurotest.
snow conditions
Near by, there are two Foires aux Skis or Bourses aux Skis normally, one in Bourg St Maurice towards the end of November and another in Seez a week later. I'm told the one in Seez is better (which my landlady helps run, so may be biased!).

I've looked in to the one in Bourg a few times but always found it a bit disappointing with what's there for sale - most stuff looking pretty old and rather tired. Maybe you just have to be first through the door to nab any good stuff.

https://www.alti-mag.com/alti-actus/alpes-dates-bourses-aux-skis-2022
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy