Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
Kenzie wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/aQ0yGXJm224
Brilliant as ever FFF ...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi there. I've never been to Tignes before. Meant to come next week Mon - Thurs (Dec 12th). Understand that only approx only 30% is open. We are intermediate skiers, mainly reds. Hard to understand if worth coming. Any views if we should still come to Tignes or perhaps look elsewhere? Thx alot
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is forecast to snow this weekend. Things will improve. It is also very cold at the moment so the cannons will be able to improve things as well.

Tignes is a great resort when the conditions are crap everywhere else. There will be plenty to keep you busy for four days. The glacier down to Double-M is great skiing along with the runs above Val Claret and 2100, I would be going just for that alone.

I say again, you have the opportunity to go skiing, do it!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hello,

Do you think the very limited piste/lift opening in ValD'Isere/Tignes ATM stems more from cost savings (limited snowmaking because of high energy cost) rather than weather reasons? E.g. not a single lift/piste open down to Les Brévieres despite temperature well below freezing point for weeks and plenty of snow in town.

I'm arriving in Val D'Isere next week for 4 days of skiing. Picked the resort based on its reputation of being a great early season option. Starting to regret my decision now as I see much more lift/piste openings in other resorts despite being at lower altitude and having less natural snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
I'm arriving in Val D'Isere next week for 4 days of skiing. Picked the resort based on its reputation of being a great early season option. Starting to regret my decision now as I see much more lift/piste openings in other resorts despite being at lower altitude and having less natural snow.
The panic and anger in the above post are palpable! But really, don't panic Mr Mainwairing Laughing - it'll be great! Definitely enough to keep you occupied for four days.

We were in Tignes for four or five days' skiing a week ago and had a fantasic time on quiet slopes. There's even more open now, including the links to Val D'Isere.

How many of these alternative areas have 4,500ft of continuous vertical on offer? (ie from the top of Grande Motte Glacier to Tignes Val Claret.) You'll absolutely love it wink

For future years though, you may wish to note that Tignes (being higher) has a better early season record for resort-level runs than Val D'Isere. And it could have been worse - you could've booked Val D for its delayed opening date of the last weekend in November.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don’t think some realise how long it takes and how difficult it is to open up a ski resort. I would imagine even if there had been super duper Autumn snow fall that the area wouldn’t be fully open till New Year week .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the reassurance - slight unwarranted panic/anger might have followed the over-excitement Smile

But to my point, I looked at resorts in the Dolomites and can see for instance that the SellaRonda circuit is already open both ways, requiring valley runs into several towns of mere 1500m altitute, and notoriously dry weather, to be open. When you compare that to the limited offerings in Val D'Isere (1850m with much more natural snow) you start to wonder if energy cost is a more limiting factor than weather..?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@honky2, not sure where the 30% comes from or even what it means. I’ve skied the last 3 days here, 7k+ meters vert each day without really trying and covering most of Val and Tignes. Do not worry at all. I’d like to know where else is better right now.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Les Brevieres has never opened until the mid teens of Dec, the staff aren't contracted till then.

As for the rest, It's basically down to the warm late Autumn, it was 10 degs in Bourg last week, so you can't look at one part of the Alps and say Tignes/Val are slacking. The snow cannons have been working to ensure opening of what is feasible. To safely open a piste you need about 40 to 50cm of snow, to cover the rocks, fill the gullies etc, you would basically blow the budget of a million or so cubic metres a year to open a few runs. A slow start come round now and again, can't remember whether it was 14 or 15 that it was so poor.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's not often I get cross over posts here, but, really...

There is as much open right now as reasonably can be and if some folk think that is not enough, please blame the weather (thanks @chocksaway for making the same point - our posts crossed). There has been one (1, that's ONE) snowfall this season of any significance.

What you can open is not a simple function of altitude. Terrain matters too. A piste may be high but if it's a boulder field it needs a lot of snow, whether from canons or the sky, to make it viable.

If it's low but pasture, cold weather and a few cm make it skiable. The pistes to Les Brevieres are carved out of a cliff face - it ain't no pasture.

Right now, you can ski all day here, first lift to last, and not do the same piste twice. And those that are closed, you really wouldn't want to do anyway.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bobski62 & @chocksaway, ferzakerley. We've been hooning around all today (at one point past a group snow heads on the way down to Lac wot I recognised by the helmet stickers) and it's been glorious. Granted some pistes are rock hard but them's the breaks with early season skiing. We called it a day at 3 and retired to Rose Blanche for the obligatory. Whats not to like?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Granted some pistes are rock hard

Heh, heh, heh... Been sharpening those edges this evening!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@leifur26,
You can always tell when the runs down to Boisses & Brevieres have been scheduled to open by looking at the lift pass pricing structure for the season. When prices go from early season up to full season then the runs are due to open.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@honky2,
1) Snowheads choose Tignes for their early season bashes for a good reason.
2) 30% of the Espace Killy is a lot of skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bobski62 wrote:
The pass-holders' entrance to Golf definitely has ANPR but I have a card to scan if that does not work. Not had to use it yet. I don't know if ANPR has been installed in the other car parks. I'll try to take a look on my next walkabout.

Hi @bobski62, where did you pick up your card from? Indigo’s instructions say to go to Place Santa Terra (behind Maison de Tignes/Lac parking). We’re arriving Thursday 2am ish. I have a VC resident season parking booked at Golf (imagine lower entrance as previous years).
ski holidays
honky2 wrote:
Hi there. I've never been to Tignes before. Meant to come next week Mon - Thurs (Dec 12th). Understand that only approx only 30% is open. We are intermediate skiers, mainly reds. Hard to understand if worth coming. Any views if we should still come to Tignes or perhaps look elsewhere? Thx alot

Echoing what @mountainaddict said: I was in Tignes for three days last weekend (skiing Sat 26-Mon 2Cool and there was plenty to do. At times the glacier was relatively congested (at the top in particular there was only one relatively narrow corridor off the top between four different sets of race training, but it was easy enough to navigate and the piste opens up nicely once you get off the top. There are a couple of routes from the top of Lanches where you can get across to the cable car up the glacier, without having to bother with the funicular. And on Monday the top of Grattalu was basically deserted, even though the snow was as good as anywhere else in the resort.

Unless things change hugely in the last few weeks the snow can be fairly variable, particularly at the transitions into and out of the artificial stuff: particularly in poor light it was easy to find yourself going from relatively hard-packed piste to stodgy artificial snow in the middle of a carved turn, but that's probably something that only happened once or twice a day. Pack appropriate eyewear/lenses and you'll have a great time!
latest report
Hi @Grinning, from the main parking office ground floor of Maison de Tignes in Le Lac - same one we all know and love. Place Santa Terra is just the formal address for the same location.

Oh and yes, been using lower entrance which they confirmed I should do when I collected. Sounds like we've bought the same pass.
latest report
@bobski62, thanks a million. Have they upgraded the ANPR in Golf so that it recognises your plate and does not require the card to be inserted? Last year, I still had to use my card every entry & exit - the old RHD walkaround…. I’ll owe you a beer out there Eh oh!
ski holidays
Yes, that's been my experience @Grinning, not yet had to use the card, barrier just opens for me as I drive up, both inwards and when leaving. If you've had confirmation that your pass is ready and you are arriving at 2am, might be worth trying to see if you can get in and then collect the pass (and obligatory windscreen sticker!) after getting some zzzzzs in.
snow report
@bobski62, oh wow - great news - we’ll try that at 2am!

Edit: @bobski62 well, we were a bit delayed getting in but the ANPR worked seamlessly at 4am, barrier lifted, snug space and put the car on charge. This avo, I skied over Trolles to collect the card and windscreen sticker from Maison Parking office. There was a large body of disgruntled people waiting with parking queries. Got my envelope with card and sticker - now legit.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 8-12-22 20:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
As a result of the outrage that is the abolition of the free parking in Tignes wink, I've cancelled our Geneva hire car for January and booked our first ever transfers (Ben's Bus). Far cheaper all round as it happens.

We're spending the last Saturday night of the trip in Bourg St Maurice, as it's Mrs MA's birthday that day. We then fly home on the Sunday and will get the return Ben's Bus to GVA from Bourg. In view of this, I have booked Altibus tickets for the transfer from Val Claret to BSM, which leads to a question.

The Altibus website says that the Val Claret pick up point is the Gare Routiere. What Gare Routiere is that then? It appears to be a different GR (or pick up point) to the GR at Le Lac - as Val Claret and Le Lac pick ups come up as two different options on the Altibus list Puzzled The website says you can click on a map to view pick up points - but I don't seem to be able to get the map to work... Confused
snow conditions
I have taken that bus in the past right behind the 5* hotel Les Suites - Maison Bouvier. There is an outside bus parking, with a bus stop.
snow report
@mountainaddict, If you place yourself on Google maps on the road directly in front of the normal (not the ''abonnees'') entrance to the Golf parking, looking towards Golf, you see the bus parking on the left of the road.
ski holidays
JulieAimeLeSki wrote:
@mountainaddict, If you place yourself on Google maps on the road directly in front of the normal (not the ''abonnees'') entrance to the Golf parking, looking towards Golf, you see the bus parking on the left of the road.

This ^^
Or if you’re coming from the centre take the staircase up from between, I think, the Whitney Bar and Charlie’s Bar - the top of the staircase opens up to the Val Claret bus pick-up point. My mate caught a Ben’s bus from there - I had no idea it was a bus stop.
snow report
Thanks for that very helpful bus stop info. @JulieAimeLeSki and @Grinning.

I had no idea there was a stop in that location!
ski holidays
FYI PARKING
Hi all, for those having trouble booking parking via the Indigo website with it saying the car park is full:
I spoke to them on the phone yesterday and they confirmed that there was an issue with the website that was being fixed and due to be done by today. Low and behold, I've just gone back on and managed to book parking in Golf where previously it said it was full.
ski holidays
lcoutts wrote:
FYI PARKING
Hi all, for those having trouble booking parking via the Indigo website with it saying the car park is full:
I spoke to them on the phone yesterday and they confirmed that there was an issue with the website that was being fixed and due to be done by today. Low and behold, I've just gone back on and managed to book parking in Golf where previously it said it was full.

I managed to book last week for Feb half term after previously getting the FULL response. My issue, i think is that I was trying to book a shorter than a week period of time during the peak feb half term week. As soon as I put in a full week it became not FULL!!!.
ski holidays
james75 wrote:

I managed to book last week for Feb half term after previously getting the FULL response. My issue, i think is that I was trying to book a shorter than a week period of time during the peak feb half term week. As soon as I put in a full week it became not FULL!!!.

Yep - have a feeling it might need to be pretty much exactly a week. Any less or more and it won't give you a slot. I struggled as we're squeezing an extra day in after having left our accommodation, so juggling the arrival time and departure time was tricky!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
have a feeling it might need to be pretty much exactly a week. Any less or more and it won't give you a slot
An utterly scandalous peak season set up Evil or Very Mad...They're doing everything they can to put people off visiting Tignes Confused
latest report
[quote="mountainaddict"]
Quote:
have a feeling it might need to be pretty much exactly a week. Any less or more and it won't give you a slot
An utterly scandalous peak season set up Evil or Very Mad...They're doing everything they can to put people off visiting Tignes Confused

I dread to think what might happen if you book a week then overstay by a day or two Shocked
snow report
@mountainaddict, For the last couple of years you have only been able to book Sat to Sat or Sun to Sun. Other periods, report to the office.
ski holidays
Quote:
Other periods, report to the office.
Oh! So it is doable then. That's a result!

Some previous posts seemed to suggest it was multiples of seven days only, with no flexibility.
latest report
My booking was for 8 days (Sat-Sun) this time around so the new system seems to be ok with bookings other than Sat-Sat. Last year we also managed to book in the Golf car park online for 9 days (Fri-Sun).
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Other periods, report to the office.
Oh! So it is doable then. That's a result!

Some previous posts seemed to suggest it was multiples of seven days only, with no flexibility.

That doesn't mean the new regime will follow the old guidelines.
ski holidays
Hi there! I'm travelling to Tignes (Val Claret) this Saturday and will stay there for a week.
Could someone please recommend me a shop with a decent assortment of ski touring stuff?
In ideal circumstances I would like to buy touring shoes on my first day and rent some skis to try them for the first few days and then buy them in the same shop.
snow conditions
Quote:
Hi there! I'm travelling to Tignes (Val Claret) this Saturday and will stay there for a week. Could someone please recommend me a shop with a decent assortment of ski touring stuff?
Will you be travelling by car
@Geschwindner? If so, you will probably find a better selection of touring kit at places such as Vieux Camper in Albertville or Ekosport in Chambery (if anywhere near those places).
snow conditions
Yes, I will be travelling by car and will drive through Albertville. Thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, @Geschwindner, Good shout for Aux Vieux Camper in Albertville. Easy to find and park there. Always found them very helpful.
snow report
Hi

Can i pick the brains of you resort experts please, we are staying in Sainte Foy but coming up to VDI for the day on Weds 21/12 for the day, planning to park in La Daille carpark and head up.

looking for a reco for a nice restaurant for lunch please, nothing too flash

any other local tips greatly appreciated

thank you
ski holidays
@stefoy4me, Can't really help with a recommendation for lunch. if we do stop for a "proper" lunch, it's usually either Marmottes, or it's sister offering, Cascades over in Le Fornet. Self service, cheap and good value considering their locations. But as you're heading for le Daille, you should call in at Le Rosee Blanche. Great value for a coffee/chocolate/beer stop. And stuff like a filled baguette or croc monsieur. Next to the free bus stop. So you could hop the bus. Go up to Le Fornet for the Gondola. Ski the Fornet glacier, then work your back via Solaise and Bellevarde to Le Daille.

If you head up into the Solaise sector via the gondola. There's a great rest stop at the top station. Coffee, hot chocs, snacks upstairs in the lounge. Loos too.
Again, very reasonable prices.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 8-12-22 11:43; edited 2 times in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy