Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
Yes Ive been reading the arguments about the auto centre in La Daille going to make way for the test operation of the area being the new transit / bus depot in the longer term (well thats what the Mayor wants anyway). So next season they will start trialling it there if goes according the town wishes!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great last day of the season. Very quiet apart from the marmots. A little sloppy in places but generally great “poor man’s powder”.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ve briefly read through the Val council minutes from Friday.
Apart from the opening dates for winter, the cost of lift pass prices were also discussed and summer skiing( 10 June )

Lift pass prices are planned to increase by around 7%

Daily pass up from 63€ to 66€
Season pass up from 990€ to 1040€

Discounts early season up to 22 Dec and late season.
Also discounts for family passes and a new cheaper 4hr pass which will mean installation of more automatic pass gates.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Papapete, how did you get on? Couldn't make it happen but still hold out for some Austrian glacier action
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
muppet wrote:
I’ve briefly read through the Val council minutes from Friday.
Apart from the opening dates for winter, the cost of lift pass prices were also discussed and summer skiing( 10 June )

Lift pass prices are planned to increase by around 7%

Daily pass up from 63€ to 66€
Season pass up from 990€ to 1040€

Discounts early season up to 22 Dec and late season.
Also discounts for family passes and a new cheaper 4hr pass which will mean installation of more automatic pass gates.

What im going to find intriguing is that with all these more automatic passes (I think basically what they are looking to do is charge Tignes more € as they sell more passes (purely more punters staying in Tignes!) and way more of them ski Val lifts than vice a versa... e.g. the number of newer skiers from Tignes (like Val) that do the green triangle every day) than Val) gates they will have to employ more people... the liftie can't run the lift and keep an eye on the passes... so the cost of staffing will go up... this will cancel out the inflationary increase they are going for this year to an extent but also they will have to find and house more staff (STVI) which is hard enough! Also who really is going to go for a 4 hour pass when its not that much cheaper (can't remember what it said the price will be) than a full day pass.... hmmm not convinced!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last day of the ski season today ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Peter S, it was Saturday in Tignes!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think yesterday? I think Val Thorens was the only one open until today but might be wrong
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Marie site has just announced that the Lanches chair will be open until 23 May, free to those with a recently expired season pass. Handy if you stopped to do a bit of DIY. Ski down via Genepy or Double M when the racers are done.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
8611 wrote:
@Papapete, how did you get on? Couldn't make it happen but still hold out for some Austrian glacier action

Hi sorry been super busy after enjoying a few days in Tignes last week. I had an amazing couple days skiing! Fantastic weather and unbelievably decent snow conditions considering the time of year! Was only a few south facing pistes that had horrid sticky snow, but soon figured out were to be when at what time of day! Huge shout out to Ski-one in Val Claret who fixed me up with some awesome Kastle skis that handled the conditions superbly. So glad I went! Only negative was lack of bars and restaurants still open in Val Claret but we figured that out eventually as well so it’ll be easier next time! Was super cheap too so that makes it even better!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good to hear, I'd have loved to have made it, literally having breakfast in hintertux now but I suspect I'll be bored with the 30k of pistes pretty quick and would have liked the bigger area. Let's see.

Then it's time for bermudas and flip flops for sure and put the ski gear away till next year.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah I was surprised by how big the area still open was! Was chatting with a pal I ski with regular who wasn’t able to come with me on the Friday night, telling him I must have covered a bit of ground cause my legs were tired he asked how many miles did I think I’d covered, I’m not big into the trackers but used one on Saturday and skied same time and area and was gobsmacked to see I’d skied just over 40 miles!! I only put that down to just how good and well prepared the skis were!!
Yeah that’s me done now till December I’d say, maybe get a few nights in up at Hillend during the summer but I say that every year and never seem to make the time!
Weekends will be full of racing Enduro motorbikes now so time to get focused on that again! Enjoy yourself in Austria!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Papapete wrote:
Only negative was lack of bars and restaurants still open in Val Claret but we figured that out eventually as well so it’ll be easier next time!

At least it was probably quiet at night!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone know if they've announced season dates for Tignes next winter yet?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@doynie, No detail yet, I suspect it will be subject to many revisions as we see how the summer weather affects the glacier, which did receive a lot of snow in the last part of the season.
snow conditions
@doynie, Val d’isere have announced 2 December for the area opening. Tignes may well open a few runs prior to this along with the glacier.
latest report
Thanks. Yea I saw the Val announcement, was just wondering about Tignes. Thinking about an early December trip, it always tends to be pretty good as I'm sure you all well know...
ski holidays
I’m considering a tignes trip 08th-13th December. In terms of pistes, are most things likely to be open? I ask because when I was in tignes for Xmas just gone (2022) a fair amount were still closed (notably two blues off lower part of the Mote) and Santons was closed pretty much most of the Xmas week. I also appreciate that last season was a very slow start in terms of snow cover.
snow conditions
@Moorzee10, Unlikely everything will be open. Specifically, the Chaudannes sector and down to Brev and Boisses doesn't normally open till the week before Christmas. Paquis may run if the link to Val Diz is closed, but if Toviere is running then chances are Paquis won't be. Borsat typically only goes up to the Bolin resturaunt, so Prarnoid is inaccessible, and the blues off the glacier (Genepe & Cairn) can be closed too. Col Des Ves and Col Du Palet rarely run early season. Aquille Percee and Sache don't open till Brev and Boisses are open.

Over in Val Diz, Santons is hit and miss, and is usually not open. On Solaise, Arcelles and Cugnai may not be operating, and Johnny Mathis is often closed too. There is often FIS racing on Orange/Ok and/or Face so these can be closed too. That means the only way down to Val Diz from Tignes can be on the Olympic Gondola, or down to La Daille and then bus up to Val Diz. If they have race prepared Face, then get your edges sharpened before you tackle it or you'll spend more time on your backside than upright.

All that said, we've been every year for the past 12 for that week and had a great time. And if you happen to be there when they open up a new area for the first time that season it can be fantastic. But definatley book somewhere in Val Claret or Le Lac - early season Lavechet, Brev & Boisses lifts probably won't be running so won't be ski in-ski out so you'll need busses to get to the lifts.
snow conditions
The good news is that in early December there are not many skiers, so even if there are a limited number of pistes open, given the size of the area, you should still find plenty to do and you almost certainly will not have to queue.
latest report
Judwin wrote:
@Moorzee10, Unlikely everything will be open. Specifically, the Chaudannes sector and down to Brev and Boisses doesn't normally open till the week before Christmas. Paquis may run if the link to Val Diz is closed, but if Toviere is running then chances are Paquis won't be. Borsat typically only goes up to the Bolin resturaunt, so Prarnoid is inaccessible, and the blues off the glacier (Genepe & Cairn) can be closed too. Col Des Ves and Col Du Palet rarely run early season. Aquille Percee and Sache don't open till Brev and Boisses are open.

Over in Val Diz, Santons is hit and miss, and is usually not open. On Solaise, Arcelles and Cugnai may not be operating, and Johnny Mathis is often closed too. There is often FIS racing on Orange/Ok and/or Face so these can be closed too. That means the only way down to Val Diz from Tignes can be on the Olympic Gondola, or down to La Daille and then bus up to Val Diz. If they have race prepared Face, then get your edges sharpened before you tackle it or you'll spend more time on your backside than upright.

All that said, we've been every year for the past 12 for that week and had a great time. And if you happen to be there when they open up a new area for the first time that season it can be fantastic. But definatley book somewhere in Val Claret or Le Lac - early season Lavechet, Brev & Boisses lifts probably won't be running so won't be ski in-ski out so you'll need busses to get to the lifts.

Excellent and most insightful post. Thank you for taking the time to share.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 11-07-23 10:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
richjp wrote:
The good news is that in early December there are not many skiers, so even if there are a limited number of pistes open, given the size of the area, you should still find plenty to do and you almost certainly will not have to queue.

Great point. The other option is VT that week but Le lac is much cheaper and likely access to a larger ski domain during the early part of the season.
snow conditions
During the PSB 2022 week 3 Dec I recall the following lifts being open - Lavachet button, Rosset, Palafour, Grattalu, Tichot, Tufs, Toviere, Tommeuses, Borsat, Fontaine Froide, Marmottes, Solaise, Madeleine, Datcha, Glacier, Olympique. These are only the ones I used, so there may well be more. eg Grande Motte. Overall maybe 50% open. Snow was pretty good and we had a great week.
latest report
We’re back in Val d’Isere and enjoying various hikes, refuges and looking at the various summer construction and upgrades.

Chairlifts in Val - Madeline has had the cable replaced, Marmottes and Mont Blanc are also being worked on.
Over in Tignes today we noticed a lot of ground work happening around the Palet drag while we walked to the refuge. Still lots of patches of snow despite the blue skies.

The Ouilette restaurant has been completely demolished and is starting to be rebuilt. Also the Bellevarde restaurant is under going a part demolition and rebuild.

snow report
Indigo season parking in Tignes: anyone know if 23/24 season parking will use last year’s Indigo cards or will we have to collect fresh ones like last year?
ski holidays
@Grinning, More chance of forecasting Fridays Lottery numbers than answering that!
snow conditions
Grinning wrote:
Indigo season parking in Tignes: anyone know if 23/24 season parking will use last year’s Indigo cards or will we have to collect fresh ones like last year?

Is this one of those Zen Buddhist questions?
snow report
Grinning wrote:

I’m still coming to terms with last year’s carnage.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I really enjoy this thread but please can we have a separate thread for parking debate for this forthcoming season Eh oh! Eh oh!Eh oh!
snow conditions
Planning for the next year trip to Tignes. At the moment we are looking to stay in Tignes 1800. I'm hoping to get some telemark lessons from Telemark Tracks which starts at 9am in Val d'Isere. My question is if it's possible to get from Tignes 1800 to Val d'Isere by 9am without a car?
snow report
@euanovsky, Last winter season free buses ran between the 2 resorts early in the morning around 0800 , primarily for workers living and working on opposite sides of the mountain/dam.
Also returning in the evening which were also popular with people who enjoyed too much apres at Folie or Rosée.
No idea yet if they will continue this season.
snow report
@muppet, Thanks on second thought would people generally recommend Tignes 1800. It's a bit in the middle of nowhere. I stayed down last time. Accommodation seems to be more modern there (and more affordable too) but there's not much to do in town. It was okay last time as everyone skied but this time I will be going with two non-skiers so wondering if Tignes 1800 is still the best choice.
ski holidays
@euanovsky, It is quiet in 1800, but the logistics of getting to Val D would be even more complex for your tele lessons. Walk or bus to the bus station in Lac, half hourly bus to Boisses to then catch the Val bus. You’d be leaving your apt very early.
latest report
@chocksaway, Thanks - if I'm not mistaken you are saying 1800 is better for me personally as it's easier to get to Val D from there. I did check the bus route and think that's what you meant! Thanks a lot! Tbf I do prefer the accommodation in 1800 more. I guess the non skiers can just take a bus to le lac or Val D during the day Very Happy
ski holidays
euanovsky wrote:
@chocksaway, Thanks - if I'm not mistaken you are saying 1800 is better for me personally as it's easier to get to Val D from there. I did check the bus route and think that's what you meant! Thanks a lot! Tbf I do prefer the accommodation in 1800 more. I guess the non skiers can just take a bus to le lac or Val D during the day Very Happy

If you speak to Nicko (who runs Tele Tracks nicely) he might be able to meet you half way at say 0930 or something - but you better ask him nicely. Haha. When im teaching someone from Tignes I do try and meet halfway (I teach with Nicko (when he's skiing) at TDC here in Val))
snow conditions
@euanovsky, Sorry, that wasn’t a clear post! Yes, you’d be better in 1800/Boisses for your particular circumstances. The non skiers can get the free bus to Lac all day and till late evening for shopping/swimming/apres etc.
snow conditions
Quickly saw on my feed but can't find again that both Tignes and Val d'Isere have announced that the were will be no opening skiing and opening day will be 2nd December. Will try and find source.
snow conditions
@stevew,
https://en.tignes.net/skiing/winter-ski-area
Says from 25 Nov, but earlier if possible.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@stevew,
https://en.tignes.net/skiing/winter-ski-area
Says from 25 Nov, but earlier if possible.

Found it ...https://snowbrains.com/french-ski-resorts-val-disere-and-tignes-will-not-open-for-autumn-skiing-and-riding-this-year/
snow report
The skiable season in Tignes has plunged 35-40% this century, due to global boiling.

Used to ride 12 months a year. Now it struggles to do 8 months.

If current trends continue, Tignes will only manage 5-6 months a year by 2050, 3-4 months by 2100, and zero skiing by 2150-2200.

There is, maybe, a century left.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy