Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
Re Apex2100. I taught there (in the classroom (Maths and PE)) during lockdown so have seen some of the attitude first hand. Yes mainly British but not exclusively. But yes I totally agree re the attitude. TBH I have ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS in the 25 years or whatever it is of doing this job around the world that racers etc do tend to think they are a cut above everyone else.... I have made it very clear to my (mainly daughter) kids that the tourists effectively allow them to ski race (indirectly via the taxes collected etc subsidising things in the resort such as school ski passes etc!) and train etc. I would go further and say that it INFURIATES me the attitude you can get sometimes. But I think some words are never a step too far! When the SCARA race (in particular) is on then I HATE (HATE,HATE,HATE) going anywhere near the Marmottes lift.... it seems to be, normal ski line, ski school line and then mainly racers thinking that actually those first two aforementioned groups of people dont exist. As an instructor I ALWAYS encourage people to 'fill the gaps' etc and respect others in lift queues and the same when im teaching more advanced kids too.

Give em hell chocksaway
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apex 2100 reminds me if an incident a few years ago whilst skiing with my Mrs W. She got totally cut up and freaked out by someone on a basi course doing long turns.

I had words with the prat who basically told me to F off! Skied down the mountain a little further and saw him stopped with his group and trainer.
I went over to the group and was greeted by my first name as I new the trainer. The trainee was not so cocky after getting bollocked by the trainer and told if his attitude didn't change he would fail.
'tourists/holiday makers' are our income!!

Apex 2100 trainees also need to learn this.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chocksaway wrote:
@8611, Here you go.....its appeared

http://youtube.com/v/nPwO8n5Yu8c

It's not got the avalanche footage in it (unless I missed it).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sugarmoma666, ta
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some days the stars align......

We set off this morning, boy it was warm. +5 whist chomping the porridge. But there were hints of a dusting of snow. So up tiddley up in the Tov and we were first down a pisted Creux with 3 or 4 cm of fresh on top - talk about hero turns. Our plan was Le Fornet so bypassed the madness of the Solaise queues and got off at Laisinant where we had to queue for nearly a minute as it has had an emergency stop - quelle horreur! From the top my plan was the chair and double poma - but it was having a late start thanks to the progressive openings of yesterday not getting to the outreaches. So we got to ride the Antique Vallon, but also the up and over was having a day off - so we arrived at Pissailas and the place was just about empty as there was only one way in. So we had 5 laps on perfect snow without having to queue - bloody marvellous. Lunch at Cascades was followed by a trip down to Le Fornet village, up a deserted Olympique (it was stll lunchtime in Val), giggled at a few 'got to get t'Folly' punters at teh top and then up the Tignes Funi for a trip down Genepy, then round the Palet home. By this stage it was 13 degs in Lac and a stiff breeze was chewing at the snow - However....

Tonight a cold front will pass through about midnight, so the temps are going to drop markedly through the night. The sky is obscured at the moment, the cloud will thicken and there will be an intense period of precipitation from midnight ish. Its that lively a system that we may get thunderstorms and rain all the way to the top of the Motte initially. Then it will turn to snow, by daybreak it will be snow in Brev. As to the net gain in snow - anyones guess. But it is going to complicate the snow pack and the avi risk is 4 for tomorrow - a whole world of horrors. MF think 40cm over the nest 36 hours. Tomorrow is going to be interesting with snow showers and very gusty winds, a progressive start as the pisteurs make it safe and the high lifts and links will probably be shut. And all those layers you left on the bedroom floor this morning will be required as its going to be 10 degs cooler, with a lot of windchill. Probably a day not to rush breakfast.

Wednesday morning will see light snow showers petering out, and sunny spells developing, it will still be quite windy. It will still be cold. Thursday - back on your heads lads - the temperature is going to shoot up 10 degs, nice day a few clouds in the morning but likely to be unbroken sunshine on the terrace in the afternoon. Friday - depends who you want to believe, might be sunny or cloudy all day!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
20c in Moutiers at 3.00
9c in VDI at 4.30
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's coming down pretty steadily in Val Claret, I'm hoping lifts will be open as I'm ready to rock. Not sure where best to go, Grattalu seems like the obvious choice but then maybe everyone else will do that too. If Launches opens that would be good especially as it has a cover!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Minion1980, It will be a while before Lanches open, its currently being deiced - thanks to the rain at midnight when it was 5 degs in Lac, its now about -1. The links to Val are open - maybe down to la daille will give more vis. Currently Brev not accessible by lift.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chocksaway, thanks for the advice I appreciate it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
VDI village, Snowed all morning, light to medium, but heavy now.
Our 1st day, Son reported in that conditions weren't for us. Very poor viz, lots of snow on the piste.
Gonna give the free beginner lifts a bash after lunch, just to get the legs back.
The day rate for a pass is a great idea for us old codgers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Frosty the Snowman, Yeah, and it suits our 'eritage wink

But they must be losing a few bob.

Winds picking up now, various lift closures, I expect the 'get into your own valley' message shortly.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, sacked off the free lifts idea, just have to make 1st lift in the morning.
Mrs was delighted when she realised how much we'd saved today wink

A breeze is in the town now.

All t' best

Sithee
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Frosty the Snowman, Aye Lad, Links now shut, buses being provided both ways to repatriate lost souls!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I gave it a good go but it was rough out there so I came off the hill at 13, seemed like most had already given up. The new snow was great but with zero vis and yesterday's slushy moguls lurking under the snow it became rather treacherous so an afternoon on the sofa with a movie is how I'll be spending the rest of the day. Looking forward to tomorrow snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi all we’re travelling next week with 4 year old, do you have recommendations of good kid friendly restaurants in Val d’Isère, we have been before and le garage was good but interested in other options. Needs basic food options, not too formal, and fast service in case things go downhill!
ski holidays
Mike87xx wrote:
Hi all we’re travelling next week with 4 year old, do you have recommendations of good kid friendly restaurants in Val d’Isère, we have been before and le garage was good but interested in other options. Needs basic food options, not too formal, and fast service in case things go downhill!

Kid friendly places not too formal etc:

- Billabong / Roxy opposite cheviot - sort of grab a burger and go type place - no bookings possible. Soft themed - like it in there.
- Le Garage - already mentioned
- The Val creperie in the old village often overlooked but they do all sorts of types of crepes both savoury and sweet which kids love
- Fondue Factory for some fun - but perhaps slightly more formal than you might like.

... and then there are places such as Bananas / Sun Bar for lunchtime grab and go places.

Hope that helps. (I have a 5 and 8 year old btw)
ski holidays
I think we have pretty much covered today already, although there was a brief sunny spell at 1540, when folks got to make a few pretty lines down under Palafour. The wind keeps whistling past the window now and most of the lifts have closed down.

This snow will carry on, slightly lighter perhaps, until the early hours when the clouds will start to dissolve, they will then vanish by lunchtime to leave a sunny afternoon. Just a breeze at altitude and temps similar to today. On Thursday it will be sunny and the temps will rise 10 degs on tomorrow, most of the clothes back to the bedroom floor! Friday looks like being 3 degs warmer still under cloudless skies, daffodils will soon be out. Saturday - not much confidence in the forecast, butit should star suny, may be thunderstorms later.

The Avi Risk is 4 tomorrow and we are entering the spring avalanche season on sunny steep slopes. There will also be lots of slabs about after this wind - much caution required. I know the snow is going to consolidate quickly in the heat of the following days but prudence will be required. There will be some avalanche work to do in the morning so a progressive start.
snow conditions
Blimey. What a day.
Got out at 10 and went up to the green triangle but that wind was vicious so I called off the plan to go to Pissiallas and headed back to Tignes side. By the time we got there Les Launches was shut so up Tichot/Gattalu. One run later and we were in Le palet for hot choc and chips.
My mates called it a day and went back to 1800 while I tried to lap palafor a few times and work on relaxing the legs when I can't see the skis underneath me!

It'll be lovely when we can see and the wind dies down!

So back to the board tomorrow if the Vis improves.
ski holidays
If you've seen an old bloke on BBRs with an orange jacket, that was me. I'll be on the YES board for the rest of the week.
snow report
Big old flakes coming down heavily in Val Claret at the moment snowHead
latest report
chocksaway wrote:

The Avi Risk is 4 tomorrow and we are entering the spring avalanche season on sunny steep slopes. There will also be lots of slabs about after this wind - much caution required.

Not half... i have a really bad feeling about the next couple of days avalanche wise for some reason. Im off piste a lot over the next few days and I am going to be watching for a lot of idiots cutting above me on plenty a slope me feel!!!!! Stay safe everyone
ski holidays
4 is a very high risk... at what point do you experienced off-pisters decide that it's just not worth the danger? Either because of the conditions being too dodgy or because of the near-certainty of idiots? (Or both!)
ski holidays
@Mike87xx, Also look at La Source. Varied menu, lovely staff and seem to accommodate young families very well.
latest report
moosepig wrote:
4 is a very high risk... at what point do you experienced off-pisters decide that it's just not worth the danger? Either because of the conditions being too dodgy or because of the near-certainty of idiots? (Or both!)

Every day, every run you make the decision weather it's av risk 2,3 4 or 5.

Remember most accidents happen at av risk 3.
latest report
Much blasting going on this morning and its quite windy (in fact when the 'drone landed to take buddy back to GVA at 7, there was lots of snow blowing off the peaks).

Also its a general strike again, expect the odd lift to be shut.

Take care folks.
snow conditions
@stewart woodward,
Quote:

Remember most accidents happen at av risk 3.

Is that because a very high avi risk deters those who are not very knowledgeable/experienced from even venturing off piste in the first place?
Whereas with a 3 or below, those people tend to risk it?
snow conditions
@chocksaway,
Quote:

Also its a general strike again

That sounds a good idea. I wonder if the UK's long running but comparatively uncoordinated (at least across sectors) strikes might turn into a general strike? Maybe a way to bring things to a conclusion faster, so hopefully everyone could get on with their lives better.

I may have to down tools on my allotment. But I digress Embarassed
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
Much blasting going on this morning and its quite windy (in fact when the 'drone landed to take buddy back to GVA at 7, there was lots of snow blowing off the peaks).

Take care folks.

Last week (as you know Very Happy ) there was an impact on the buses round resort one strike day (only one bus running the Lavachet / VC route, and it finished at 6pm).

Lots of people were caught out as they presumably didnt consult the app.

Not sure if the transport unions on strike this week as well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway
chocksaway wrote:

I’m in Tignes with my friends from Saturday for a week, do you know what strikes are planned that may affect us?
Thanks for the regular updates, I always have a squint at your and @Steve Angus posts before coming out Smile
snow conditions
@PeakyB, I don’t think a general strike is great idea . Uk economy is not in great shape strikes and make the country’s position worse . The RMT’s actions have been deplorable . Times are so tough that holiday companies report a record amount of advanced bookings.
snow report
@vipul,
Quote:

I don’t think a general strike is great idea

@vipul, in a situation of a fair share for all who deserve it, I'd agree. In one where the gap between rich and poor steadily (or increasingly faster?) keeps growing, then it's the likely, possibly inevitable, end game.

Quote:

Times are so tough that holiday companies report a record amount of advanced bookings

If that quote is meant to support your statement, you may be missing the point. The affluent can afford more holidays than ever (from a decreasing pool of providers, BTW, compared with say 5 years ago) whilst the vast majority are battling to pay for a roof over their head, food on the table and a bit of heat inside in the winter. Never mind about a caravan near Weston Super Mare for a week.

Quote:

The RMT’s actions have been deplorable

I commend the RMT and other TUs for leading the fightback against the most deplorable government in living memory.

But I digress. Laughing Virtual slap up lunch in La Ferme de Trois Capucines anyone?
latest report
@Steveee, the lift strikes this year have been exclusively in Tignes (something to do with the obligatory beards/tattoos/piercing for Tignes lifties I think). So get over to Val and you shouldn't notice anything.
latest report
@PeakyB rail employees are very well remunerated and employ ancient working practices.teachers have always been at the forefront of demanding more, I don’t know a poor doctor (I have 8 in family surgeons , gps , anaesthetists .) nurses do deserve a significant uplift ) . It is worth noting that those in sink areas always seem to make enough to have the latest phones , satellite tv ( illegal obtained ) and enough left over for fags ,booze and other stimulants .
snow conditions
@vipul, take your repugnant views back to the daily heil mate
latest report
@vipul, I looked at this topic to read about Tignes as off there in a couple of weeks. Not to read political stuff.
snow conditions
Thinking ahead to the 2023/24 season and the PSB first week in Dec, does anyone know if the ski schools on Tignes will up and running by then? I am looking for group lessons suitable for my wife who will be a very nervous third week skier. Unfortunately I dont think the PSB group lessons will be suitable for her level.
snow report
@Dr John, @Minion1980, @Pamski, @chocksaway,

Apologies for indulging and I'll do my very best to keep to Tignes related stuff in future.
snow report
@pamski Seems you are stuck in a 1970s mindset #wolfiesmith . Most likely the first to complain when the lifts and buses stop running due to industrial action

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 15-03-23 19:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
moosepig - yea as stewart woodward says. Remember its a generalised risk forecast. There are ways to reduce it RIGHT DOWN to keep people safe and picking your location will keep you and your clients safe as will time of day... managing the group etc all helps reduce the risk. Just like reducing driving speed in rain keeps people safe(r) in otherwise dangerous environments compared to driving in the dry etc!
Mike87xx - yes as muppet says La Source is another option too.
PeakyB - most certainly. When there's fresh snow more people want to go off piste so pure numbers mean the chances are higher yes. When they here 4/5 or 5/5 people are scared from going anywhere near the off piste AND crucially often the weather is really bad meaning its not possible in practice either. In the same way when the weather is really bad out there the pisteurs have fewer rescues as less people going around and also fewer people skiing out of control at speed etc! Whereas when it drops to 1 or 2 then it hasn't snowed for a while and no-one is as bothered about going off piste... whereas the conditions on the piste are firmer and more injuries take place. Going slightly left field here the docs in ski towns can tell what the weather is doing outside party based on the injuries that come in (twists etc when the snow is soft and breaks when snow is hard etc) and the numbers of them! Days like today are 'bad' because the danger is there but everyone is in a powder frenzy... this afternoon will be more dangerous not just because of the rise in temps but because people will want to go further from the pistes to get their fresh turns and the idea of 'skier creep' comes in.
Steveee - as others have said its mainly outside of Tignes the issue on transport might occur but within the resorts themselves will be very minimal but as always keep eyes on the apps and listen to Radio Val / Tignes etc for more info. The lifts in Val haven't been affected at all this season.
chrisbristol - will the schools be up and running then - yes they will. If you want to safely make sure the school will have a group and more importantly make sure it will be running then id go for a larger operator in Tignes like EV2 or the ESF. Over in Val we will have early season clinics happening then for sure but our operation in Tignes is smaller and at that time of the year there are no gurantees. However im not so sure PSB group lessons would NOT be suitable in my experience of teaching on them!!!!!

^^^^Are we all friends again yet!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
snow report
Back in Tignes from next week for the 1st time since pre- Covid. Webcams look fantastic! The last time I was there we had brilliant apres-ski at The Marmottes Arms in Le Lac. Is that still open and banging?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy