Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French resort advice for a family

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could give me a bit of advice.

I am attempting my first family ski holiday (have been with friends the last few years)

We will be taking my mother in law who won't be skiing to look after our one year old, and taking our five year old for her first trip. My wife has skied once before.

We have been to avoriaz before and my wife thinks it wouldn't be accessible enough for her mother to walk about the town (due to it being snow everywhere) during the day to get out of the room with our youngest. Morzine would probably be suitable but I can't find any companies that quote for there

I have been to the three valleys and know that there are walkable roads there for her with the pram. Only problem is its coming in about a thousand pounds dearer for the week.

Could anyone recommend anywhere that would suit our needs?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What about Montgenevre, or possibly Arc 1800 or Tignes Le Lac

Arc 1600 has access to Borg St Maurice - but the runs down aren't as easy.....though there is a ski bus between the villages.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

any companies that quote for there

what sort of arrangement do you want - a TO package, or a DIY effort. How do you plan to travel? And when? The answers to those questions will affect the advice you get.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You also didn't mention what time of year as that may make a difference too.

Val d'isere has some nice beginner area up the mountain with plenty of choice with regards to ski schools etc. A large town with frequent buses between the different areas. Also a few pedestrian accessible lifts so MIL can also get up the mountain. There are plenty of non-skiing activities such as a pedestrian evening in the town, farm trips, town tours.

Alternatively, very child friendly is La Rosiere with some easier runs down to town but the town is much smaller.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies.

We were looking to sort the flights ourselves (but if we could find a company that includes flights would be happy with that too) or let a TO sort the rest, transfers accommodation, lift passes, hire etc.

We are aiming to go on 11th March. I have been searching on sunweb and get me to the alps, with Val D'isere it seems to be quite expensive.
Could anyone recommend any other website that might widen my search?

Montgenevre the transfers were almost 850 return, and while the resort seems ideal it would just be too expensive to get there. I will price the other two.

I had also looked at soll in Austria but have read in some places that snow wouldn't be guaranteed in March.

Thanks everyone for your help.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You could look at somewhere like Vaujany. Relatively small family friendly resort (with pool, ice rink etc.) but well connected to a larger ski area. Gondola up to the beginner area at Montfrais, and large cable car up to Alpette, so MIL can get up the mountain easily too. Loads of self catering apartments of different sizes close to the lift station, if that's the sort of thing you're looking for, and a relatively easy drive up to it from Grenoble. Fewer hotels if I remember rightly though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kevin Loughran wrote:

Montgenevre the transfers were almost 850 return, and while the resort seems ideal it would just be too expensive to get there. I will price the other two.

The shortest transfer is from Turin (1.5 Hrs) - but maybe the flights don't suit.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kevin Loughran wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

We were looking to sort the flights ourselves (but if we could find a company that includes flights would be happy with that too) or let a TO sort the rest, transfers accommodation, lift passes, hire etc.

We are aiming to go on 11th March. I have been searching on sunweb and get me to the alps, with Val D'isere it seems to be quite expensive.
Could anyone recommend any other website that might widen my search?

I had also looked at soll in Austria but have read in some places that snow wouldn't be guaranteed in March.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Hi there.

Just what do you mean by the Montgenevre transfers were almost 850? Do you mean airport to resort transfers? We have booked Montgenevre this year. Haven't been before but I have received a quote for a private transfer of EUR528 return from Turin airport (perhaps your flights are to a different airport). I can't say whether the resort will be suitable for a non skiing mother in law with a baby though.

We have brought our inlaws on our last 3 trips as we were in a scenarios similar to yourself. 1 x trip to Tignes Le Lac and 2 x trips to Courchevel 1650. All worked well in terms of the inlaws getting out and about and enjoying themselves. But neither resorts are particularly easy on the pocket! I recall it was particularly expensive for a pedestrian lift pass in Tignes. They liked to go up the mountain to check out the views and have a coffee but I think it worked out crazy expensive compared to Courchevel for non skiers.

For Montgenevre we booked our accommodation through https://www.go-montgenevre.com/ I emailed them our dates and list of requirements etc and they promptly gave me a number of self catering options. They are also helpful in relation to transfers, lift passes etc and I had a long chat on the phone with the owner. So hoping all works out ok. Certainly it will be cheaper than our recent trips!

Wherever you go I would say you will need to try and get accommodation that will be close to the slopes/lifts so that the MIL can get out with the one year old to meet ye for coffee/lunch apres drink etc. Also, presumably your 5 year old will be in ski school and proximity to the meeting point is advantageous for a number of reasons. Your wife will also probably need lessons. Tignes le lac would probably tick a lot of the boxes (we were there this year the week of March 11th) and it was very convenient for all of the above things. But it does come with a price premium.
I don't think you mentioned where you are planning to fly from/to? A long transfer is probably not ideal for a small family so that is something to think about as well.

Given it is your 5 year old's first trip, your MIL is coming to mind the one year old and your wife is skiing for the second time I would see this trip as an investment in future years. Get it right and they'll all be dying to go again next year!

So give as much information as you can and you'll get a ton of good advice here.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Kevin Loughran I think you need to go and play on some of the Tour Operators (TOs) sites for places like Montgenevre/Les Arcs/La Rosiere as they will include Flights, Transfers and accommodation

A quick google found several TOs going to Montgenevre. I'd post indicative prices but I can't see where you want to fly from, what sort of accommodation you want or when you want to go. Never mind the sort of price you want to pay?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
March 11 is an excellent week to choose to go to France, as the busy and expensive 4 week school holidays will be over.

I have taken a child-caring grandma on a ski trip AND more recently been a child-caring grandma, fetching and carrying kids to ski school, etc. I have also taken a non-skiing and partially disabled grandma (when she was beyond being able to do child care) on a ski holiday. I have also catered for a range of non-skiers.

So I know a great deal about this, and what I know is that all grandmothers and non skiers are different. Some want to get out and about, maybe go for a walk on snowshoes, get up the mountain. Some want "facilities" and "entertainment", others are happy to read and relax. Some are able and willing to take a 5 year old to ski school and pick them up (coping with getting their boots on, carrying skis, last minute wees, last minute nerves) and some are not. Some will be able to walk on snowy or icy pavements, equipped with non-slip crampons on good walking shoes, others will be too scared of falling. In ANY ski resort, at any altitude, and any time of year, heavy snowfall won't immediately be cleared and being out with a pram of any kind very difficult. Some children at 12 months old will be wanting to walk everywhere but will need to be warmly dressed. Some will meekly tolerate being stuffed into a one piece suit, keep their mittens on and submit to sunglasses. Some noisily won't...............

A lot will depend on how accustomed your mother in law is to child care back home. If she will be regularly getting the baby out and about, and entertaining them at home, all should be well.

As advised above, having accommodation within very easy (in ski boots, carrying skis) walking distance to the ski school meeting place and near to shops and other facilities will make life easier. And cheaper - grandma can get lunch ready for everybody!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Kevin Loughran, worth looking at Val Cenis Llansvillard on tour op availability to give a balance of attributes. Also Sauze d'oulx for transfer inclusive ease of travel, village to use for non skier and really good slopes.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
#1 Listen to pam

#2 if you are going with a second week skier, a beginner 5yo, a non-skiing grandma and baby then you don't need to go the 3V. Somewhere smaller (and hence cheaper) would suffice.

This is a family holiday involving skiing rather than a skiing holiday involving family. Subtle but important difference.

I presume you yourself are an experienced skier?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Old Fartbag wrote:
Kevin Loughran wrote:

The shortest transfer is from Turin (1.5 Hrs) - but maybe the flights don't suit.
I paid €190 each way from Montgenevre for a minibus (5 people) this February.

I wouldn't recommend Montgenevre for non skiing folk though. There's not exactly much to do there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kevin Loughran wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Could anyone recommend any other website that might widen my search.

Alpine Answers
Iglu

and don't forget the TOs that specialize in child care.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timmycb5 wrote:

I wouldn't recommend Montgenevre for non skiing folk though. There's not exactly much to do there.

It's over 30 years since I was there - and I was skiing....but I seem to remember a rustic town, an ability to walk to Claviere (Italy) - although it's even smaller and quieter than Montgenevre - an ice rink, snowshoeing, sleigh rides and the ability to hire skidoos. You can also take a local bus to the lovely town of Briancon. Maybe none of this is what the OP is looking for - and as Pam says, it depends on what the non skier is looking for/expecting.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 29-09-22 18:06; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Timmycb5 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Kevin Loughran wrote:

Do you mind me asking who you got your transfer in February with please?
snow report
For a family of 5 renting a car could work out cheaper than transfers. One further point is that for a grandmother looking after a toddler all day, a nice apartment with your own space, the wherewithal to make snacks and drinks without spending a fortune, where you can make an assault course with pillows and furniture and spread toys round the floor (stuff you can't do in a public area) might be better than a hotel. I can't imagine anything worse than being stuck on my own in a hotel room with a toddler. Or stuck in the room in the evening because the 5 year old is in bed. But the kind of apartments used by a lot of TOs depend on shoving a lot of people in, sleeping on a clic-clac, etc. Reducing numbers entails a lot of "under-occupancy" charges. Renting a nice apartment from the likes of Peak Retreats makes it easier to see what you're getting.

A family holiday of this kind does need a great deal of careful planning and research - but could be a great experience for all. But yes, for dad, it's a "holiday with some skiing". Laughing
snow report
Some great information here thanks everyone. For those that asked about the quote i got for the transfer to Montgenevre, it was iirc from Grenoble and was 850 for a shared transfer. I'd never even considered booking flights to Turin as I'd only ever really considered the main French airports.

I'd be flying from Belfast or Dublin, depending on which would be best value. Was hoping not to spend more than 3000. I have been mainly focusing on Get me to the alps and sunweb as they are the ones that seem easiest to price with. I will try alpine answers and iglu.

As for accommodation somewhere clean with a bit of a view would be nice.

I hadnt even realised you can buy a pedestrian lift pass?

I've snowboarder maybe five weeks and would say I'd be intermediate level.

The main thing is that the rest of them enjoy it so that it can become an annual holiday.
snow conditions
Kevin Loughran wrote:
Some great information here thanks everyone. For those that asked about the quote i got for the transfer to Montgenevre, it was iirc from Grenoble and was 850 for a shared transfer. I'd never even considered booking flights to Turin as I'd only ever really considered the main French airports.

I'd be flying from Belfast or Dublin, depending on which would be best value. Was hoping not to spend more than 3000. I have been mainly focusing on Get me to the alps and sunweb as they are the ones that seem easiest to price with. I will try alpine answers and iglu.

As for accommodation somewhere clean with a bit of a view would be nice.

I hadnt even realised you can buy a pedestrian lift pass?

I've snowboarder maybe five weeks and would say I'd be intermediate level.

The main thing is that the rest of them enjoy it so that it can become an annual holiday.

Not sure about Belfast but you'll have a few options from Dublin.
Ryanair fly to Turin, Milan and Grenoble. For your week Turin works out around Eur900 for 3 adults and 2 kids. Grenoble a bit more expensive and Milan a bit cheaper.
You'll get plenty of advice here on resorts convenient to those. Montgenevre is about 90 mins from Turin.
We're flying Shannon to Turin but sounds like the wrong side of the country for you?

Aer Lingus fly to Geneva, Lyon and Munich. Significantly more expensive than Ryanair at the moment.

As someone mentioned, you dont need to go to one of the mega resorts with the group you have. Not least, you won't get value from the expensive lift passes. Also, everything will be that bit more expensive and will all add up.
Perhaps look for reasonable accommodation in a resort within 90 mins of an airport that you can get cheapish flights to. From experience you will want to minimise the transfer if possible when you have small kids. It's a long day travelling if you have a journey to the airport, the flight itself and then the transfer.

As also mentioned, a self catering apartment would suit you well.

I've no idea what the tour operator prices are coming in at. But looking at DIY to Turin, private transfer and self catering apartment, I'd say you're looking at €2,500. Lift passes, lessons, ski hire would all be extra.
latest report
Tbh I hadn't even thought of Italy as an option. But I will certainly look into it now. We're from the North so Shannon would be too far out of the way.

I'll definitely have a look at flying in to Italy, and it's resorts and Montgenevre from there too. So much reading up on each resort and trying to find something that ticks all the boxes is hard work Eh oh!
snow report
@Kevin Loughran, I too am from the North.....and usually go with Crystal and make use of their offers - mostly out of Dublin as it's usually cheaper (and is an EU country to a EU country), but sometimes out of Belfast.

If the prices are similar, I go with the flight timings that suit best.
ski holidays
@Kevin Loughran, I'm a Nordie as well, Ryanair used to do a Belfast - Bergamo flight, but in the last few years we've had to go from Dublin.

We went to Livigno in April this year with our 6 month old and non skiing grandparents in tow. The grandparents absolutely loved the place. There's loads for them to do and it's an easy place to get around with a child in tow. There are so many excellent options for coffee stops, food, drink etc. and you're always close to the slopes given the layout of the town. It's as snow sure as anywhere at that time of year. Give Steve at https://www.livignoskiholidays.com an email with your requirements and see what he can offer. We used to book everything DIY, but it generally works out cheaper and easier to go with him. Compared with my experiences of visiting the big French resorts, you get far more for your money in Italy - lift passes, kit hire, lessons, food are all cheaper and better quality in my experience. The accommodation is usually much more spacious too (sweeping generalisations I know, but that's been my experience). The only downside is the long transfer, but it's a stunning drive up past Lake Como and Bormio and you usually stop for a proper lunch halfway through.
snow report
Quote:

Compared with my experiences of visiting the big French resorts, you get far more for your money in Italy - lift passes, kit hire, lessons, food are all cheaper and better quality in my experience.

The tax free status in Livigno may help a lot here as well. However, I should point out that the subject asked for reccomendations in France.
latest report
Quote:

the subject asked for reccomendations in France.

but has now said he'll look into Italy. It seems that all suggestions are welcome! It's good to have an open mind.
snow report
Livigno is a pain in tha A*** to go there , but i love this place.
Accommodation is not sooo cheap, but because of Tax Free (i think) food etc is really cheap.
I had to see an espresso for 1 euro for many years. However maybe now is more expensive because of the situation...
ski holidays
If Italy is now on the table - maybe somewhere in the Dolomites might work. I'm not the person to give advice on this, as (to my shame) I have never been.

I have been to Livigno - but it was nearly 45 years ago and remembered through a haze of really cheap alcohol, which means my recollections will be so out of date and nebulous as to be relevant now. I do remember an interminable transfer (now given as 4 hours), with a mad Italian bus driver who I thought would kill us. I suspect it would meet many of the stated requirements.
snow report
Chamonix is a good place for non skiers. Fly to Geneva and rent a car.
latest report
Chamonix is indeed good for non-skiers. But organising lessons for one, or perhaps two, members of the family might complicate the logistics.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kevin Loughran, I have very similar requirements for my family and we are going to Val Cenis, as also mentioned by @ski3 higher up. I haven't been before but it appears to offer loads of prepared walking trails, some very easy skiing, a littlebit of more challenging skiing, and it is cheap by French standards. If you buy your lift in advance online they can be had for as little as 110 euro for the week
latest report
A few sentences about "our village" in FRANCE - Les Carroz centre, many appts of varying size, some buildings with in-house swimming pool, walking around is easy (1200m altitude), free ski busses around village and up to gondola, plenty of kids ski area at 1200m and 1800m, plenty of good restaurants & cafes/bars in centre. See tourist office website for other activities and entertainments https://www.lescarroz.com/ (liftpasses free for under 8yo). Flights to Geneva, transfers with GoMassif (200Euros Eachway for 5 in a shared minibus).
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
.....and usually go with Crystal and make use of their offers - mostly out of Dublin as it's usually cheaper...

Unbelievable difference in this particular case.

To the hotel I am going to in Tignes, for the same date - Current prices:

Belfast: £1641 (€1886).........Ski Carriage: £75 (€85)

Dublin: €1416 (£1232).........Ski Carriage €56 (£48.70)
snow conditions
adriangrogan wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Kevin Loughran wrote:

Do you mind me asking who you got your transfer in February with please?

Sorry for the delay, sure. It was with these guys (below). I actually used them twice last season (once from Turin and once from Oulx train station) and my only fault was that I had to prompt most of the communication with Roberto, but he always responded. Both times they were prompt for pick ups at the airport/station and chalet.

http://www.sauzetaxi.it
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy