Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing conditions at Whistler for intermediate skiers?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning a 3-day skiing trip to Whistler Blackcomb in mid-March, combining it with a trip to Seattle. I've heard mixed reports about the snow conditions this season and I'm wondering if it's still worth the trip.

My partner is a beginner, mainly doing green/easy blues, planning to ski only 2 days. I'm intermediate and comfortable with groomed blacks or with easy moguls.

Given our skill levels and the current snow situation, are we likely to face challenging icy conditions, or is there still a chance we'll find suitable and enjoyable slopes?

Anything else to keep in mind of, such as driving conditions from Seattle or crowd levels?

Any advice or personal experiences shared would be immensely appreciated!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're unlikely to find challenging icy conditions; the grooming at Whistler is really very good. There's snow falling in BC right now, and when I last looked Sunday was supposed to be a big dump both here and there. A full reset (at least 30cm). Mid March? Sounds like a long time off - I think forecasts aren't really that accurate! Ask closer to the time, but unless you were planning some major off piste cliff drops, it's not going to be relevant whatever. It'll be absolutely fine.

There are lots of places to ski, even south of the border. For such a short trip you may find those places are great too, depending again on the precise conditions. Google driving conditions/ border issues if you're driving north, and if you're renting then the company will probably charge you a bit extra. Don't carry weed or weapons across the border.

Overall it's a bit warmer than usual, but the snow's still falling/ fallen. So you might find rain in the village, so ski higher up.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just go. We went in March 2015 which was a relatively terrible year and had a great time. The groomers mid mountain up will be great. That’ll provide skiing on tree lined runs if snowing and great views in the alpine if it’s fine. If you’re lucky you’ll be able to have a go at some safe and easy off trail skiing too.
3 days won’t stretch the surface on such a big fully controlled ski area. I could personally spend 3 days lapping Symphony and Harmony bowls alone.
Have fun!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go, it'll be fine unless you are unlucky with weather, like anywhere. An easy 5 hour drive from Seattle (I infer you are arriving in Seattle) on bare roads provided you avoid rush hours in Seattle & Vancouver. Hopefully that's it. But....

...if you check the conditions and forecast for Whistler a day or two before or upon your arrival at SEA and they truly suck, then check to see if Mt. Bachelor in Central Oregon has good weather. Plenty of terrain there for both of you--tailor-made, really-- and it gets different weather than Whistler. 6.5 hour drive to do that, worth the extra time if the vis was sure to be better. It would be a very different experience; Whistler is a huge resort with everything at its base, while Mt B has nothing at its base but is just outside of a great town, Bend. Would be a little cheaper if that matters. Also no Int'l border to deal with; sometimes we zip right through, other times it takes 30-60 minutes.

I wouldn't send you to the areas closest to Seattle despite their relative proximity; they're underwhelming for folks of your skill levels. Just not a lot of good groomed runs so those few tend to be busy. If you end up not wanting to make either drive but still want to ski near Seattle, go to Crystal Mtn (1:45 from Seattle). Jaw-dropping view of Mt. Rainier from the top and your partner can take the gondola down (and probably should).

I hope your first choice works out but you do have options.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scooter in Seattle, great call on Bachelor. I went there last April for the famed beer and spring corn but got skunked. Got the great beer in Bend but had to deal with three cold powder days at Bachelor! Score.
We hit up Mt Hood on the way back. It was nice too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like it's warming up over the next week or two
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy