Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports and Updates - 2022-23

Poster: A snowHead
Ah thanks, I had thought your first line but hadn't realised the second. RIP Chizzy.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very irritating that I've got a work commitment on Monday lunchtime, when that's usually my free day! Could be one of the best days of the season at Glencoe, given the current conditions and forecast.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why so few lifts open at Cairngorm?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ram80 wrote:
Why so few lifts open at Cairngorm?

HIE owned management. rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowgates shut on the A93, looks to have been a reasonable number of showers through overnight so hopefully some more terrain can be reopened at Glenshee.

I notice even chairlift tickets for sightseeing and sledging are showing sold out for Glencoe. Shocked

Next project for the Coe Crew - how to get an infinite number of skiers on a finite mountain with very finite parking! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
even chairlift tickets for sightseeing and sledging are showing sold out for Glencoe.
Nice weather, great snow = busy Shocked

I don't think I've ever seen the queue for the top tow that far back. I hope they're not letting people ride the tow alone. Still, it beats queuing in Ikea or B&Q on a Sunday wink

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Confirms my rules for Scottish skiing. Very Happy

Never at the weekend.
Never during school holidays.
Never the first big dump of the season.
Only when sunny, although this one can be broken when desperate.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JimboS, I use the same rules, along with "only when I'm not working."

The last time I went was about four years ago Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JimboS wrote:
Confirms my rules for Scottish skiing. Very Happy

Never at the weekend.
Never during school holidays.
Never the first big dump of the season.
Only when sunny, although this one can be broken when desperate.

Swithering between Monday or Tuesday this week, I usually prefer Tuesdays as I "feel" they are quieter, but I may be wrong.

Outside of that, all your rules apply.

I am semi ret and self employed so I can plan for midweek days.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@GreenDay, where are you planning to go? In the west, Monday appears to have marginally the better forecast (MWIS). Sunnier, lighter wind and higher cloud base. In the east, Monday also appears to be sunnier than Tuesday.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mountainaddict, not so busy at 3pm, t bar appears to have most chairs doubled up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mountainaddict, I’ve been there when the queue was that long tends to move fairly quickly but the grumpy old man in me always wondered why they don’t open the button on such days….
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From looking at the CG piste map and lift status it seems everything revolves around the Coire Cas T bar and M1 poma and you have to walk to these in the first place from the carpark

So will there be huge queues for these lifts at all times during the day?

Really your only looking at skiing the Coire cas, traverse and white lady atm?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
denfinella wrote:
@GreenDay, where are you planning to go? In the west, Monday appears to have marginally the better forecast (MWIS). Sunnier, lighter wind and higher cloud base. In the east, Monday also appears to be sunnier than Tuesday.

Sorry for the delay, was tied up yesterday pm.

I am up, coffee taken and getting set for Glencoe. I think the snow coverage is better there so looking forward to a decent day, some sunshine but pretty cold on the tops I suspect.

Extra layer will be engaged !

Hopefully some photos later.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@GreenDay, the conditions at Glencoe are amazing just now. I was there yesterday. I’m heading up now but only to collect stuff. Not to ski.
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@GreenDay, the conditions at Glencoe are amazing just now. I was there yesterday. I’m heading up now but only to collect stuff. Not to ski.

Thats me just back - agreed, snow conditions are brilliant !

It wasnt as sunny as they predicted (sun only came out between clouds in the pm) and it was a lot windier than the predicted 7mph. Temp was around -3 according to the car when I arrived, but significantly colder up the hill - no idea what the windchill was, but cold enough for me not to take the phone out for pictures Very Happy

It was still busy today and after some time in the main basin etc I cba waiting on the T-Bar queue (which was pretty big most of the day) in the wind, so just did a lot of laps of the easier stuff.

First time on the Rannoch chair - a useful addition, and takes a massive amount of pressure off the Pomas just off the Access.

All in all a great day and good to get a few miles in the legs.
ski holidays
Had a full day at Glencoe today, the first since March 2020 before the first lockdown. Things are improving there, new chairlifts, wider pistes, new bar and coffee shop at the base, parking seems expanded.

I added a few photos of the new chairlift in operation in the link to slideshow in my signature.

Oh, and conditions are good, pistes were great first thing just after being bashed. (I got the first lift up, was on about the 7th chair)
ski holidays
Is it going to last until Friday at Glencoe? We get up to Kinlochleven Thursday afternoon, so that's the first day we can ski. If it's okay can we just tip up and pay when we arrive, or do we need to book in advance?
snow report
@RobinS, looks like it will get better and Thursday looks like another blue sky day. Very very cold up there, the pistes were like skiing on a glacier early in the morning.

You can pay on the day if you like, although this confuses many people. Some had paid in advance, but were queueing up with those who had not in ignorance of a machine which gives you your ticket whenever you go to collect it. A person has to serve those who roll up without paying, and the ticket office does not open until shortly before the lifts start.

I paid on the day, as I can do without the hassle of getting my money back or having to go another day if there is a problem with wind or lifts, or staff on strike etc.
snow report
@RobinS, based on current forecasts the last good day is Thursday. There'll still be loads of snow on Friday but the conditions might not be pleasant to ski in (probable wind, possible rain). The breakdown might get pushed back to Saturday though, so cross your fingers. After that the outlook is a bit rubbish - mild and unsettled.

You'll almost certainly be fine just turning up on Friday. Weekends can be a different story.

@Bigtipper, do you still get the weekday rate (£30) if you just turn up?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 16-01-23 20:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
RobinS wrote:
Is it going to last until Friday at Glencoe? We get up to Kinlochleven Thursday afternoon, so that's the first day we can ski. If it's okay can we just tip up and pay when we arrive, or do we need to book in advance?

I would be staggered if it didnt.

You can pay on arrival, quicker to prebook and flash the QR code at the machine tho...............
snow conditions
@denfinella, it is the same rate (I paid £30), and you can only get concessions (student, OAP) by turning up and showing your ID.

I think the issue is at weekends, the tickets online sell out fast if the forecast is good. So there may not be any tickets for those who just turn up, but for weekdays and when the availability is good before your drive off, probably better queueing.

Some people have these fancy smartphones, I would have to print out a QR code on a piece of paper so I cannot do it in the car park.
ski holidays
I would book in advance at Glencoe.

Today was a great day with a full car park and lots suspect Friday will be busy. Yesterday was phenomenal. I didn’t ski today.

Disclaimer: I was there helping out yesterday.
snow report
Glencoe again excellent today. Will try to post a more detailed report later, but working this evening and flying to Geneva tomorrow so time is a bit tight! snowHead

Edit: trip report now written: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=162985
snow report
Anyone got a view on the outlook for next week? Wondering if I can fit a quick trip in but MWIS is suggesting a move to wet and mild is on the cards Sad
ski holidays
RobinS wrote:
Is it going to last until Friday at Glencoe?

Just an update on this - the forecast for tomorrow (Friday) has drastically changed for the better and is now looking excellent Cool - could be one of the best days of the season so far!

Weekend breezy, mild and a bit damp but perhaps not as bad as it was looking like previously.
snow report
@kitenski, next week isn't looking great at the moment but detail is hard to pin down. Late in the week might have better weather than early in the week, but depends how much snow thaws first...
snow report
We're here@denfinella! One day only. Couldn't resist the conditions - moths to a flame Laughing

Glad we made the effort - conditions brilliant Very Happy It's bloomin' cold in the shade though!!

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've silenced my WhatsApp group as the photos and general gloating are becoming too annoying and I am at work (desk) and not on the hill working (patrol). Looks like everyone has a boomer day, Lecht open now as well and looking stunning.
snow report
@mountainaddict, with hindsight I should have driven up last night!
snow conditions
Well we made it to our first ever day at Glencoe. Were there pretty much for first lift. Weather absolutely stunning, snow fantastic, skied everything that was open . Downsides, sitting for 20 minutes on a freezing cold single chair that had stopped, closely followed by several minutes on a stopped T-bar. Big queues everywhere, though the very antiquated uplift does ensure that the pistes are never remotely busy. All in all a very good day, but would have been much better without massive queues. Fortunately we have our own kit, as the queue for hire kit was reported as 2 hours.
latest report
Had a quick lunch-break whizz up to Cairngorm summit and return from Ciste car park. Great conditions and views. Had planned longer day but called into an afternoon meeting - grr!

snow report
Quote:
with hindsight I should have driven up last night!
Hindsight! That most wondrous of gifts @kitenski wink

We had a great day, though the queues were pretty bad at times. Generally 5 or 6 mins for the top tows but we waited 12 mins once for the Wall T-bar. Not great when most of the mountain was in permanent shade. We were also caught out by the top lifts, Wall and Cliffhanger closing at 3.30pm. We'd assumed it would be 4.00pm and didn't see anything posted. As a result, we skied down from the top at about 3.45pm, to find everything shut except the new triple chair. We did a couple of laps on that until 4.00pm.

Here are a few more snaps from today Very Happy

latest report
@mountainaddict, looks superb. As for queues - not ideal but as I'm sure you know, it can get much worse than 5-6 minutes on good days in Scotland!

All lifts (except for the duplicate summit button) were definitely still going later than half 3 last Tuesday, so closing time seems a bit random.

Hopefully the ski areas can survive the upcoming mild spell with their snow base relatively intact.
ski holidays
Glencoe do post about the lift closing times on their FB page, although I confess I didn't actually spot it until after I had descended on Monday !
snow report
Had another day skiing today in Glencoe and as per previous posts conditions were great. Put some more photos in the link in my signature, in case anyone wants to see them. (I took about 40 today, but only uploaded 3)

I have used all my suncream so had to cover up just in case, but I was in the shade most of the day anyway.

Got to car park at 8.30 left car park at 4.30. Lunch I had in car, at 12-12.30 as I wanted to stay the distance today. Could not get off the hill early anyway due to an enormous queue to leave, had to do laps on the new 3 man chair. (car park was full, nowhere to park at lunchtime, the police were partrolling the car park in a car)

Seems that every other person I got on the lift with was from the Lake district, many of whom are camping in the car park.

snowHead
latest report
Great day at Glencoe today apart from the hire queue, good excuse to buy some skis! Queues on the hill normally moved fairly quickly considering how busy it was.
latest report
Quote:
Glencoe do post about the lift closing times on their FB page
Shame I'm not on it! How about something radical - like signs at the bottom of the lifts? wink
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Glencoe do post about the lift closing times on their FB page
Shame I'm not on it! How about something radical - like signs at the bottom of the lifts? wink

Yeah, I only joined to see stuff like Coe, Shee, Tignes........I'm on as my business as I don't want anyone to know what I'm up to in my personal life Very Happy
latest report
Starting to feel guilty I didn't do an update after last weekend (14th/15th)

Though it appears by the time I would have done it, Scottish weather would have already changed Cairngorm (with lots more fresh snow... And conditions weren't bad other than not quite having enough to open car park tow).

Ski touring so got down to Loch Avon fairly reasonably (via numbers)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy