Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports and Updates - 2022-23

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
When are we likely to get skiing on CG with most runs open, will it be this year
The million dollar question @Ram80... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Back to winter tomorrow morning. Cold again by Friday.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gfjed4t8h#?nearestTo=Glenshee%20Ski%20Centre%20(Aberdeenshire)&date=2022-12-19
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mental weather, it’s so hot like shorts weather !
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was at Glenshee with my daughter on Sunday - conditions could best be described as marginal! Took them a while to get going and then very few lifts open, with bumpy and patchy snow. The eventualy got Sunnyside open with a very sketchy uplift track. Also very limited visibility. But it was quiet and was good to get the ski legs back, as always we accepted the conditions and had fun. It needs a lot more snow though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
While the NW Alps have been going from good to bad this week, Scotland is going in the other direction: bad to start with, but good base building weather:

Fort William:

A little cooler would be nice for the lower slopes, but not too bad all things considered.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes looks like a week of reasonable wintry weather for Scotland. Here is the Met O automated output for Glenshee
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gfjed570x#?date=2022-12-25
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A very wintry day up on Broad Law in the Borders. Heavy snow and drifting all day.

Good forecast especially Glencoe. Staying cool and not too windy. Good chance of something opening on the plateau next couple of days perhaps?

https://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/webcams/

And Glenshee
https://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/Webcam
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glencoe

Thanks to the heavy snow this morning we are planning to open the Access Chairlift, Plateau Poma and Coire Pollach tomorrow (Wed 28th).

Early season conditions so we don’t recommend bringing your brand new gear. Ski tickets will be limited to 150 due to the limited terrain available. Available online now https://glencoe.skicloud.co.uk/book/lift-tickets

Ski hire will be open on a first come first served basis.

Ski school also open for lessons instruction@glencoemountain.co.uk to book
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glencoe finally has the government authorisation to operate its recently installed 3 person Rannoch chairlift! Very Happy

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glencoe finally has the government authorisation to operate its recently installed 3 person Rannoch chairlift! Very Happy

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Glencoe finally has the government authorisation to operate its recently installed 3 person Rannoch chairlift!
Good news @Alastair Pink - in fact so good you told us twice! Laughing

It's hats off to Glencoe. Access across the Plateau will be transformed Very Happy Can't wait to try the new chair out - or for The Cliffhanger chair to be upgraded to a six pack next wink

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 29-12-22 10:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:

You can say that again! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just spotted that an adult lift ticket at Nevis Range is a bargain £41.70 a pop this season Shocked

At that price it must surely be an unsubstantiated rumour that at least two of the lifts (Warrens and Braveheart) are all but obsolete and will apparently never run again... :roll

EDIT: Glencoe doesn't have enough snow to open for skiing today (29 Dec) Confused Not sure if they opened yesterday, as they'd announced.

Meanwhile, The Lecht looks like decent cover - but only has a couple of runs scheduled.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Basically everything but the Carpark T-bar, Sheilling Tow and Ridge Poma could be open at CairnGorm.

Ciste Gully is complete to below the old board walks. Daylodge Poma run is narrow but complete, so DLP > West Wall Poma to get up with no walking. Gunbarrel skiable, but Cas Tow would need to load above the Gunbarrel.

Traverse, M2 and Top Basin pretty loaded. White Lady being done.

What’s open, a couple of 90m magic carpets that ops1 can keep an eye on from the cosy office. rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's difficult to escape the impression that only Glencoe and Glenshee are really bothering to get as much open as possible Confused
latest report
https://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/Webcam

Catching some snowHead
Wild night here on the Galloway coast. Waiting for the squall line to go through and then something a bit less wet hopefully.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Just spotted that an adult lift ticket at Nevis Range is a bargain £41.70 a pop this season

Thats verging on the ridiculous.

Feels like they are turning into the west coast version of Cairngorm - only bothered about people who want a ride on a gondi / funi to wander round a coffee shop and take pictures.

denfinella wrote:
It's difficult to escape the impression that only Glencoe and Glenshee are really bothering to get as much open as possible Confused

Certainly those are the only ones I will bother visiting this season.
latest report
Just been through the Lecht (A939) - couldn't ski but might be able to later on - looked good and the Buzzard was turning as well. Forecast bodes well for next few days.
snow conditions
Have just had two days at the Lecht, can't praise them enough for their snow management/ effort to maintain pistes.
snow report
Quote:
It's difficult to escape the impression that only Glencoe and Glenshee are really bothering to get as much open as possible
Winterhighland website has hit the nail on the head:
Quote:
Presently CairnGorm has the most snow of the five snowsports areas, but shows no inclination to open anything other than the new beginner magic carpets situated outside the Daylodge.

Cairngorm could've been open since mid-December (covering the lucrative Christmas holiday period) with a bit of effort but it seems they have no intention of opening anything but magic carpets until the train is running rolling eyes Following all the ski lift removals, it's easy to see the conspiracy theorists' argument that they are more than happy for Cairngorm snowsports to die in the longterm Sad

They really don't deserve our support - but failing to do so will hasten the demise of a once-proud jewel in the crown of Scottish skiing... Confused Having said that, there's absolutely nothing to support at present.
snow conditions
GreenDay wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Just spotted that an adult lift ticket at Nevis Range is a bargain £41.70 a pop this season

Thats verging on the ridiculous.

Exactly... £41.70 for basically one lift (the goose).
Braveheart and Warrens now officially mothballed.
If you look at piste map the patrolled area is much reduced.

The noises coming out of Aonach Mor about new management team are concerning... Key members of operations & ski patrol (20 years experience) were let go during covid. The decision to sell the hydro scheme, which previously provided cheap electricity for the gondola, has been a costly mistake. Funds raised were used to purchase snow maker and magic carpet. A cafe plus beginner run appears to be limit of HIEs aspirations for both Gorm and Nevis.

Focus seems to be very much on the new hotel and MTB trails.
ski holidays
Glenshee website saying roads open, but Confused

Braemar side still closed also. Promising for the next few days though.
ski holidays
Quote:
Promising for the next few days though.
Hoping there'll be more lifts opening soon... Smile
snow conditions
Nevis had the potential with the back corries to be such a good area, so sad to see it decline.

I’ll be taking my business to Glencoe or Glenshee and probably only tour around Cairngorm later in the season without buying a ticket.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 30-12-22 13:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
barbossine wrote:
Have just had two days at the Lecht, can't praise them enough for their snow management/ effort to maintain pistes.

That is laughable... Most runs haven't been pisted- (I.e. snow management to stop the snow from blowing away), there is no intention to operate most of the lifts, but are happy to charge full price for 2 or 3 lifts and an appaling standard of grooming (think - ploughed field).
Queueing +20mins for the open lifts - no reason given for chairlift not being open (again full price for tickets).

Talking about prices - the Lecht was always regarded ad the most family friendly centre in Scotland. Now it is the most expensive.

No discounts for only 2 main lifts being open - no option for a family ticket, so £110 for a family of 4 for 2 lifts.
As a comparison, Glenshee sell cheaper tickets for the current offering, and even when more snow, there is the option of a family pass for £100 .

Glenshee family pass £100
Nevis family pass £110
Glencoe family pass £110
Cairngorm family pass £109
Lecht - no family pass available, but £110 , regardless of how few lifts are open. No eagle2, osprey, chairlift, falcon, buzzard or harrier (which can't open since there is no cable or motor on the lift any more - it is ready to be scrapped) -still £110 rolling eyes
snow report
Shocking that @Snowbum66 It's a disgrace that The Lecht and Nevis Range seemingly have no scruples or morals in terms of prices or customer service. They regard us punters as nothing but cash cows, to be milked dry.

Expensive lift tickets...with next to no lifts available for use!
snow report
Whilst I don’t disagree prices are too high @snowbum66, the buzzard has been open the past few days at the Lecht. They really do need to get the chair spinning though, it would help with the queues massively in what is probably the busiest time of the year. IIRC they had issues with it last year too, can only recall it running once when I was there.
snow conditions
It would be good if the winterhighland forum was working properly as there is a lot happening (or not..) at the Scottish centres. Snowheads probably isn't the place for those discussions. Bring back W/H!.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Brainfart92, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

@Snowbum66, whats up with it? Wondered why it was always quiet when I looked there!
latest report
Snowbum66 wrote:
Snowheads probably isn't the place for those discussions.
Out of interest, why do you think not?
latest report
The winterhighland forum is still there, but doesn't seem to work. Shame as it was a buoyant community that Facebook etc can't replicate.
I don't think Snowheads works well for Scottish ski issues as there is a very broad range of topics, and most people here are interested in non-uk skiing. A post about the braveheart chair will very quickly disappear below cost about morzine, meribel etc.
Winterhighland (and highland instinct!) were really good because the members were solely interested in quite detailed chat about Scottish skiing, so topics were easy to find and didn't quickly disappear with other chatter.
Nothing wrong with Snowheads!
snow conditions
I also skied the Lecht the last couple of days. The price was reduced to £25 a ticket which I don't think is poor value for money at all for the skiing that was on offer. In fact, compared to one hour in an indoor fridge, I think it represents pretty good value for money. Granted there were long queues for equipment hire, which is where having you're own gear is a bonus, but for the first couple of hours the longest queue I encountered at the tow was approx 3 minutes. The queues were longer after 11, but no worse than I've encountered school holiday time elsewhere, either in Scotland or abroad. As for piste management, whilst I was there the basher was constantly in use grooming the pistes that were open. Some pistes were in better nick than others, but overall, I was impressed. It was my first visit to the Lecht and I would definitely go again. Maybe I was just glad to be skiing again after 2 years off the snow and I'm just easily pleased.
ski holidays
Quote:
The price was reduced to £25 a ticket which I don't think is poor value for money at all for the skiing that was on offer. In fact, compared to one hour in an indoor fridge, I think it represents pretty good value for money.
I agree @wishfulthinker. As that info somewhat contradicts the earlier 'No reductions at The Lecht, they're charging full wack' assertion, I will remove (in spirit at least) that area from my previous outraged outburst about punters being screwed for every penny wink
ski holidays
@Snowbum66, you could create topics in snowheads? There a fair few of us who try and ski Scotland!
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@Snowbum66, you could create topics in snowheads? There a fair few of us who try and ski Scotland!

I reckon 14 or 15, many of whom post fairly regularly on this thread.

The info on the Scottish scene is really good on SH.

The knowledge levels of the various resorts are excellent - also useful for infrequent visitors (e.g. people who may be visiting Aviemore for the holiday season and thinking they might get some magic skiing just up the road.................... Confused )
snow conditions
wishfulthinker wrote:
I also skied the Lecht the last couple of days. The price was reduced to £25 a ticket

They want people to recharge their passes online and the day we went, full price was being charged.. I hope they weren't giving discounts to people buying at the ticket office Shocked . I see that prices online have been reduced online, so good on them. However, the grouse lift failed yesterday and still looks to be shut and the chair still isn't opening. What is that all about? Peak season, plenty of snow and the car park should be full.
A half assed effort by the Lecht means less than a half full car park..

Regarding snowheads/winterhighland - W/H had some rather niche / detailed discussions. Yes, Snowheads is fine for people asking about 'Aviemore', or when is best to skin in Scotland. Topics such as the history of the ski centres, ski centres that no longer exist (such as Marr lodge), or specific details about one ski centre are likely to be lost in the chatter very quickly.
W/H was specific for Scottish skiing - most people here want to know information about their annual holiday to Europe rather than why 'warrens' isn't operating (there is nothing wrong with that, it is just a different audience here).
latest report
@Snowbum66, Is WH completely finished now?
snow report
@GreenDay, nope it’s still there and is updated it’s just the forum section is very very quiet compared to a few years ago.
ski holidays
@kitenski, so people have just moved elsewhere for info etc, that makes sense.
ski holidays
Mate of mine is skiing at Glencoe today and reports that the Rannoch chair is uplifting paying punters Very Happy Conditions ok on piste but currently very icy off piste.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy