Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees 22/23

Poster: A snowHead
We’ve had a few sparse sprinklings of snow up high this Autumn so far, but the forecast for the next day or two is reasonable snow to a relatively low level, my season pass has been renewed, winter tyres on, snow chains are in the boot, and in a month time we should be skiing. It’s time to start up the Pyrenees 22/23 thread!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowing in Soldeu village (1,800m).
https://www.mobilitat.ad/totes-les-cameres
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hammerite wrote:
Snowing in Soldeu village (1,800m).
https://www.mobilitat.ad/totes-les-cameres

Yes, and a good coating of white up at the Envalira and Pas de la Casa too. snowHead

Heading out for Andorra in Feb, so will be watching this thread with interest.

Been to Andorra a couple of times, but never skiing, so can't come soon enough! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There was a long range forecast on the main weather thread that suggested favourable conditions this winter for Southern Europe inc Pyrenees. Not sure you can set much store by such things, but promising at least!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-forecasts/accuweather-2022-2023-europe-winter-forecast/1259417?fbclid=IwAR3RgPveKIvrPcKYRWg46s-6tbWkEHT7bkiSVdFWNGI5L8AWLaat2AdSEhA

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@luigi, yes I noticed that. Nice to see. Hopefully, it comes to fruition.

I’m about to go out for a walk so will try to get a photo or two.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mostly melted now but nice to see.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking good! Is that the slopes above El Tarter, the big X? That still looks pretty white, are they already firing the snow cannons up there?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hammerite wrote:
winter tyres on, snow chains are in the boot

I don't want to divert the thread too far, but noticed your comment.

We're looking to rent a car from BCN, which don't seem to have winter equipment, and driving up to Encamp. What is the legal requirement in Andorra and how is it enforced?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@luigi, yes it’s above El Tarter. No snow cannons running yet that’s just from Friday’s snow. They won’t run them for a while. It’s a waste as temps are still pretty high here most of the time.

If you’re in a car not registered in Andorra, you need to have winter equipment (chains or socks). Enforcement is patchy I suspect. But if the weather is bad, the police pull over every foreign car and force them to put chains or socks on. Probably a fine if you don’t have them but I don’t know for sure. I really only need to have winter tyres on my Andorran registered car by law, but I have to go up a 4km/400m climb to get to work so I’ve got them just in case.

Are you staying in Encamp? It’s where I live.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hammerite wrote:

Are you staying in Encamp? It’s where I live.

Sent you a PM snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@luigi, did Barcelona Soldeu last year, with lots of good tips from the very generous @hammerite

Couldn't get snow tyres on rental out of Barcelona, don't think car had chains either so bought snow socks in one of the petrol stations in Andorra town. There's a few as the road climbs up past the town with a big selection of tyres and snow socks. Prior to that there was only one small climb into snow and one petrol station with a limited selection.

If you've not done before you check the code on the side of the tyre and buy chains or socks to match. Highly recommend the socks, very easy to put on.

The logjam that followed into Soldeu and the crazy Andorran civilians in the souped up off road vehicles pulling people out were a sight to behold!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
8611 wrote:
@luigi, did Barcelona Soldeu last year, with lots of good tips from the very generous @hammerite

Couldn't get snow tyres on rental out of Barcelona, don't think car had chains either so bought snow socks in one of the petrol stations in Andorra town. There's a few as the road climbs up past the town with a big selection of tyres and snow socks. Prior to that there was only one small climb into snow and one petrol station with a limited selection.

If you've not done before you check the code on the side of the tyre and buy chains or socks to match. Highly recommend the socks, very easy to put on.

The logjam that followed into Soldeu and the crazy Andorran civilians in the souped up off road vehicles pulling people out were a sight to behold!

I was thinking they would sell them somewhere along the way. Can you remember roughly how much they were?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think maybe 30 or 40 euro. I kept them and use them at home (on a different sized tyre rolling eyes ) to make short journeys into the mountains for the few inches we get

No real solution, in terms of buying them cheaper online in advance, as you won't know what your rental tyre size is
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
8611 wrote:
I think maybe 30 or 40 euro. I kept them and use them at home (on a different sized tyre rolling eyes ) to make short journeys into the mountains for the few inches we get

No real solution, in terms of buying them cheaper online in advance, as you won't know what your rental tyre size is

Yes, that sounds a bit pricier than online, but not excessive price gouging considering they have a bit of a captive market on a snowy day! snowHead

It looks like each size of sock will fit a range of similar tyre sizes and you tighten them to suit, but you still can't really second guess which exact hire vehicle and tyre size you'll end up with.
ski holidays
@luigi, I was shopping around for something earlier and noticed the stacks of snow chains being sold in the supermarkets. They should be easy enough to get hold of if you pass when the supermarkets are open (9-9 usually). The garages do sell a reasonable range too most close at 10pm but there’s a couple of 24hr ones. The only other possible problem is if you end up with a more obscure tyre size.
latest report
As a general rule only**... How snowsure on average is Grandvalira at end of Dec?

** I know its a "how long is a piece of string?" question
snow report
@adithorp, I’ve not lived here long enough to give you a definitive personal answer, but I know people who have been instructors here for 20+ years and on the whole they say that it’s fine for the end of December. Like anywhere there can be blips in what would be the norm.

There are a lot of north/west facing slopes and snow making is generally pretty good too if needed. It does need to cool down a bit for the snow making capabilities to be useful, but up above 2,000m it looks like temps are heading in the right direction now. Snow is forecast for the weekend too.
snow report
hammerite wrote:
@luigi, I was shopping around for something earlier and noticed the stacks of snow chains being sold in the supermarkets. They should be easy enough to get hold of if you pass when the supermarkets are open (9-9 usually). The garages do sell a reasonable range too most close at 10pm but there’s a couple of 24hr ones. The only other possible problem is if you end up with a more obscure tyre size.

We booked a Ford Focus. so hopefully not too obscure! Toofy Grin

Though if they say the only vehicle we have left is a 6 wheel drive Hummer, I guess I'll have to take it!! Laughing
snow conditions
hammerite wrote:
Snow is forecast for the weekend too.

Woohoo! snowHead
snow conditions
@hammerite, thanks. Booked now for El Tartar, boxing day through NewYear, so we'll see. Fingers crossed it's good and if its terrible, there's always mountain biking... know any good bike hire shops? Laughing
latest report
@adithorp, I was there pre Christmas last year, around 11th December, it was grand (albeit I went because there was a big dump forecast). Like I suspect every major resort in the Alps now they've snow making so really absent an extended period of unseasonal high pressure preventing their operation I can't see it not being good. And that is probably as likely to happen elsewhere as it is there. So its kind of sky falling on your head type worry.

Enjoy I'm jealous!
snow conditions
@adithorp, Very Happy

It’s turned cold, there are cars driving down tonight from higher up covered in snow and the snow cannons have been running so hopefully you won’t need a mountain bike! Unfortunately all the shops will have put their bikes into storage for the winter. Cheapest bike hire was €98 a day this summer though Shocked

@8611, the beginning of last season was amazing. We didn’t have snow like that for the rest of the season!
snow report
lol, whoops I've jinxed him now so!
snow report
Hello hello hello and welcome to another year of Pyrenean snow watching!

A look at the webcams shows a few inches of dusting in Andorra at the moment; the good news is that it’s cold at the moment (even down here near Barcelona) and a decent snowfall (30-40cm) is forecast for Monday and Tuesday. Then a mild thaw before getting colder again.

Will it be enough snow for the traditional season opener holiday of la purísima (6-8 Dec - where seemingly the entire nation of Spain clogs the roads into mountains)? We’ll see. This year the bank holidays fall on the Tuesday and Thursday, which is good as it should mean that traffic will be more spread out over the week.

I’m currently planning to head up for a couple of days that week. Not sure the off-piste will be up to much but hopefully the groomers will be in reasonable shape!
latest report
@AlunAlun, it should be enough for the carnage of 6-8th Dec.

With any luck, they’re hoping to open Arcalis this weekend.

https://www.diariandorra.ad/noticies/nacional/2022/11/21/ordino_arcalis_planteja_obrir_pistes_aquest_cap_setmana_211117_1125.html
snow report
Definitely looking a lot whiter on the cams after the snow in Andorra this week...

https://www.bergfex.com/grandvalira/webcams/

I like this site, they keep an archive of webcam still shots, so you can toggle back through previous days and see the snow arriving and cannons firing snowHead
latest report
hammerite wrote:
@AlunAlun, it should be enough for the carnage of 6-8th Dec.

With any luck, they’re hoping to open Arcalis this weekend.

https://www.diariandorra.ad/noticies/nacional/2022/11/21/ordino_arcalis_planteja_obrir_pistes_aquest_cap_setmana_211117_1125.html

Your Catalan is coming along nicely! wink

Any opinions on whether bringing all Andorra ski areas under one liftpass is a positive move for skiers or not?? Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Andorra forecast is for some more snow Friday, then milder weekend and more snow early next week.

No huge dumps, but every little helps along with cannons firing when it's cold enough.

https://www.bergfex.com/grandvalira/wetter/prognose/
snow report
Baqueria looking great, opens this weekend https://twitter.com/alexmegapc/status/1595779264405725185?s=20&t=sAoMUcXdGc8R_8nvUvcn4g
ski holidays
@luigi, I’ve become a dab hand with Google Translate! Annoyingly, they’re teasing us still as to whether Arcalís will be open this weekend - still none the wiser. I have, however, downgraded my football viewing plans just in case the area is open. A quiet few beers watching rather than a mad one.

And yes, the snow was coming along nicely, but we had a fair bit of rain on Tuesday afternoon and it’s impacted what had fallen previously. It’s been mild-ish since too. That should change tomorrow with a bit of snow which again will probably go with some warm temps over the weekend. Thankfully, it looks like next week should be cold with a bit of snow here and there - but probably more importantly the ability to keep the snow cannons running for longer.
snow conditions
hammerite wrote:
@luigi, I’ve become a dab hand with Google Translate! Annoyingly, they’re teasing us still as to whether Arcalís will be open this weekend - still none the wiser. I have, however, downgraded my football viewing plans just in case the area is open. A quiet few beers watching rather than a mad one.

And yes, the snow was coming along nicely, but we had a fair bit of rain on Tuesday afternoon and it’s impacted what had fallen previously. It’s been mild-ish since too. That should change tomorrow with a bit of snow which again will probably go with some warm temps over the weekend. Thankfully, it looks like next week should be cold with a bit of snow here and there - but probably more importantly the ability to keep the snow cannons running for longer.

One my friends when skimo at Arcalis this past Saturday. His verdict. Enough snow to get up, but still pretty dodgy coming down.
snow report
luigi wrote:

Any opinions on whether bringing all Andorra ski areas under one liftpass is a positive move for skiers or not?? Puzzled

IMHO Yes.
latest report
Is the brining together a good thing? I like the huge area but adult pass this year is around 300euro (Access via Pas). That is similar to 3Valleys.
ski holidays
@ysb33r, yeah, didn’t bother trying to get out but then they decided not to risk opening the lifts anyway.

The snow yesterday and today should make a big difference plus the cold temps for most of this week should mean the cannons can run for a good proportion.

@earl, I don’t think it was much less than that last season anyway for Grandvalira.
snow report
Arcalís opens tomorrow a whole day earlier than planned.
ski holidays
Switching it up with a season pass for Grandvalira rather than Baqueira.
Looking forward to skiing more of the other areas in Andorra now included on the pass.
ski holidays
First day out today. Skied Soldeu and El Tarter because they’ve not opened the lifts to link over to Grau Roig/Pas yet. Not many pistes open but what was open was enjoyable. Snow was patchy in a few places and it started to get a bit stoney on the Gall de Bosc near the bottom.

It was snowing when we finished in Soldeu and was still snowing when we left at about 7pm.

Tomorrow Encamp, Grau and Pas. The lift company are saying that they’ll not open much more until later in the week.
snow conditions
Decent bit of snow last night and this morning. Probably about 10-15cm in places. As usual though when it snows in Andorra there was a decent breeze so there were still plenty of wind blown pistes today and probably still not enough down to make off piste worthwhile.
latest report
Hi all. We are branching out to Formigal this year, in 2 weeks time. Webcams are certainly showing things getting whiter. That doesn’t show depth though. And I was curious that I haven’t seen any snow cannon working, I thought they would be loading up for an early Dec opening.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy