Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2022/2023

Poster: A snowHead
Avalanche risk?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
zzz wrote:
Avalanche risk?

1 I’d say from that picture Skullie

Whoops…
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj378VAoJvf/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At least all those avalanches should fill the crevasses!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, I'm impressed they've managed to open the run!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BobinCH wrote:
zzz wrote:
Avalanche risk?

Whoops…

Yikes!!! Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Toadman wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
zzz wrote:
Avalanche risk?

Whoops…

Yikes!!! Shocked

For the sake of clarity that was Pemberton BC, not Verbier!!!

Here’s the original
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ4LctEDLVL/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Back to CH tomorrow. Hope it’s colder than Scotland! Looks promising…
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice day for the train
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH wrote:
Back to CH tomorrow. Hope it’s colder than Scotland! Looks promising…

3500m isotherme for new year Mad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm looking to book something last minute for myself starting on Saturday. It has been hard to find true conditions. Can anyone give me a proper outlook on the conditions?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ally12259 wrote:
I'm looking to book something last minute for myself starting on Saturday. It has been hard to find true conditions. Can anyone give me a proper outlook on the conditions?

Really depends what you are looking for. Friends who are out skiing pistes are having a great time. Decent cover top to bottom although below 2200m it is icy until the sun softens it. The best skiing in verbier is above Ruinettes so that is not a huge problem. Off piste is much more tricky. Mont Fort is still good with a few freshies on the glacier but Mont Gele and the Tortin itineraries very rocky. We went touring today and the pooch reported fast, grippy pistes

http://youtube.com/v/P8iH1SxDDok

The base above the Xmas eve rain line (2500m) is pretty decent so if there is the forecast 20cm tonight we’re going to try a backside Mont Fort tomorrow morning. Expecting it to be rocky at the bottom though.

If you can hold out for fresh snow that would be my recommendation but if you only have this window I reckon Verbier will be about as good as you’ll find. Queues not too bad considering it’s Xmas week. The new fast 10 man from town has solved the biggest choke point which is a major bonus!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That vid is skiing diwn from Carrefour at 1750m. This is from yesterday at 2400m. You can clearly see the difference in snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/Xb5c1bYDZTY
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BobinCH wrote:
ally12259 wrote:

Really depends what you are looking for. Friends who are out skiing pistes are having a great time. Decent cover top to bottom although below 2200m it is icy until the sun softens it. The best skiing in verbier is above Ruinettes so that is not a huge problem. Off piste is much more tricky. Mont Fort is still good with a few freshies on the glacier but Mont Gele and the Tortin itineraries very rocky. We went touring today and the pooch reported fast, grippy pistes

http://youtube.com/v/P8iH1SxDDok

The base above the Xmas eve rain line (2500m) is pretty decent so if there is the forecast 20cm tonight we’re going to try a backside Mont Fort tomorrow morning. Expecting it to be rocky at the bottom though.

If you can hold out for fresh snow that would be my recommendation but if you only have this window I reckon Verbier will be about as good as you’ll find. Queues not too bad considering it’s Xmas week. The new fast 10 man from town has solved the biggest choke point which is a major bonus!

Looking for some decent piste skiing & maybe a little off piste, just want a few days away from Scotland. Is it expensive to get some accommodation in Verbier?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
That vid is skiing diwn from Carrefour at 1750m. This is from yesterday at 2400m. You can clearly see the difference in snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/Xb5c1bYDZTY

Reminds me of my dog, other than my yellow lab turns into a ski herding dog when descending!

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ally12259, verbier town centre accom isn’t cheap! You’ll need to look at a satellite village for cheaper options.
ski holidays
@ally12259 If you’re after cheaper accommodation than in Verbier itself, you could try La Tzoumaz or Nendaz, or the base of the Verbier télépherique down in the valley at Le Chable. The latter village has an integrated train station/télépherique which is easily reached by train from inside Geneva airport, changing at Martigny, which means you don’t need a rental car (unless that’s you’re preference). The Mt.Fort Swiss Lodge is a hostel actually inside the télépherique building which has cheap accommodation including single rooms. Useful websites:

The SBB train timetable. Set from as 'Genève-Aéroport' and to as 'Le Châble VS, gare' (or 'Verbier (télécabine)' if you're looking in Verbier).
Usually the best ticket is the Saver Day Pass if you can book well ahead.

The Mt.Fort Swiss Lodge is the hostel in the Le Chable train/télépherique complex.

The La Tzoumaz Tourism Office web page has a contact form you might use to ask about accommodation.

If you use public transport to get to La Tzoumaz, there's an extra leg compared to Verbier: 1.Train GVA>Martigny, 2.Train Martigny>Riddes, 3.Télépherique Riddes>Isérables, 4.PostBus Isérables>La Tzoumaz. And there's a gap in the timetable over lunchtime, so you may have to wait in somewhere like the Auberge Mt.Gelé by the télépherique for the next bus. Worst case is around 90 minutes and with views over the Rhone Valley 1800ft below, there are worse places to wait. The SBB timetable will tell you - set to as 'La Tzoumaz (téléc. Savoleyres)'

It might still be worth seeing if there's not somewhere in Verbier itself - take a look at the official Verbier website's Accommodation pages or contact the Tourism Office directly.
latest report
Verbier is white again

snow conditions
Good to see Verbier getting priority over Siviez in the Mont Fort first bin race
latest report
Cracking morning in the backside of Mont Fort. That’s one way to warm up the knees snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/0gAoZD0z6yg
snow report
Superb conditions this morning. Alas now raining in town Evil or Very Mad

Junior freerideuse leading the charge

http://youtube.com/v/6IeSGc9uk8o

The difference 15cm of cold fresh makes

http://youtube.com/v/8KJdwCgyFK4
latest report
Ski toured up to Cabane Mont Fort for lunch today. Kids reported fast pistes and busy snow park

http://youtube.com/v/mMSpPRJd3HA
snow report
@BobinCH, reckon it's worth a day trip over?
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, reckon it's worth a day trip over?

Tomorrow looks a bit meh but rest of the week looks good
snow report
Looking like I might well be in the area (staying in Nendaz) last week of March for the Level 1 Off Piste Security course for the IASI qualification. Looking forward to seeing an area i've wanted to visit for a long time!
snow report
swskier wrote:
Looking like I might well be in the area (staying in Nendaz) last week of March for the Level 1 Off Piste Security course for the IASI qualification. Looking forward to seeing an area i've wanted to visit for a long time!

Unfortunately I’ll not be there that week but may be able to hook you up with a mate who showed @kitenski, and his buddy around if you’ve got some free time. PM if interested
ski holidays
We've just moved our trip from La Clusaz to Verbier for this Thursday. Staying in the hostel. Looks like we'll get to see some snow Very Happy
snow report
@BobinCH we will be arriving in La Tzoumaz for a week starting 7th Jan and have been following your updates and vids with interest...they have been encouraging amid all the doom and gloom, so thanks! Very Happy

We don't know the 4V at all well, but have taken the 6 days 4V pass as hoping that will allow us to access wherever has best conditions. If the promised snow arrives on Monday/Tuesday, perhaps my question is a moot point, but with how conditions are at the moment, are there particular areas/pistes you'd recommend we target? We're a group of skiiers and snowboarders with a decent level (none of us will be doing the "Good morning knees" jump wink but we would all be very happy doing the kind of off-piste/free-ride in your other videos on this page)

Thanks for any recommendations you can give!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 3-01-23 12:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
swskier wrote:

Unfortunately I’ll not be there that week but may be able to hook you up with a mate who showed @kitenski, and his buddy around if you’ve got some free time. PM if interested

Likely we'll have full on days for the week with the course, but as and when I get an itinerary i'll drop you a message if it looks like we'll have time. Thank you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@niyebe Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
BobInCH is the expert on all types of off-piste in the 4V but we have our apartment in La Tzoumaz, so you may be interested in local info for the first couple of days, before you start going over to Verbier first thing to access the wider area. Worth looking at my plan map on the previous page to orient yourself in terms of any recommendations we both may give. Also, we have some client pages on our website that cover getting to/from La Tzoumaz from GVA by car and public transport, plus en route shopping if you're self-catering.

My custom 4 Vallées Plan Map - https://i.imgur.com/tzltOLs.jpg
Apartment Landing Page (links to photos, downloads, local services etc.)
Client Downloadable Guides

On the landing page, there's a set of blog posts which cover stuff like preparation list for self-drive, and GHIC, plus links to gov.uk and CH official travel pages.

One thing I'd recommend is that everyone in the group has a GHIC and obviously, brings it with them and carries it when they're out. It simplifies the A&E admissions process if anyone is unfortunate enough to need it. Card and watch are generally accepted in most shops, cafés, bars and restaurants but I think it's still worth getting some CHF cash just in case. There are UBS ATMs just on the left outside of GVA arrivals. The village has an ATM next to the Tourist Office, but like anywhere, the exchange rate won't be great. The website has a map of the village with the main shops, cafés etc shown.

If it's running, there's a not obvious chairlift by the baby-slope at Etablons (before the bar and roundabout) which boarders may prefer to use to get back up, rather than ski down the narrow last run into the télécabine, but it's not always running so check that first. The Savoleyres summit has a big café in it but if you're after somewhere with a bit more character, I prefer Chez Simon on-piste café which is just above the Nord 6-man chair. You can see Chez Simon on the left as you get near the top of the télécabine.

When going over to Verbier, it's worth checking whether the avalanche gate between Savoleyres and Carrefour is shut or open, as this may affect your choice of route. The ideal is if it's open and you can just ski across directly. If it's shut, you have various choices to make.
ski holidays
@niyebe, looks like you’ll get quite a few snowy days. If the snowline is high enough the La Tzoumaz forest should provide plenty of local fun although it’s pretty mellow. For steeper pitches hopefully Vallon d’Arbi will be open and I would also recommend heading across to Bruson. If the sun comes out everywhere will be good. The Marlenaz off piste itinerary (head far left from the Savoleyres chairlift) ending back at the Savoleyres gondola is a nice one. And then all the classic routes off Attelas, Mont Gele and Mont Fort.
snow report
Thanks very much to both of you @LaForet and @BobinCH!! Looking forward to exploring! Very Happy
snow conditions
Fast skiing on firm pistes in the sunshine this morning. The nice conditions have brought the holiday crowds out in La Chaux!

Major problems in the family hierarchy this morning as the little shredder beat her older bro on the speed gun Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/pcrEQ1sQiVg
ski holidays
I'm heading over this Friday for a short weekend break. First time in the 4V for 5 years and really looking forward to it. Not bothered about the conditions really, for 2 days it will be great and I am getting too old for extreme stuff anyway. Leaving the Soul 7's at home.
snow conditions
@niyebe There's a long thread here that goes into more detail about the links from Savoleyres to Verbier, with a video of the run through the avalanche gate.
latest report
@Fifespud, just returned from Nendaz, the pistes were in very good condition considering the circumstances hopefully they won’t deteriorate given the high temperatures. The only downside was that it was quite busy
snow report
@LaForet, what kind of prices are eating/drinking like in La Tzoumaz? what's a rough guide price for a beer apres ski, a pizza etc?
ski holidays
@kitenski Here's a list of prices from our trip out there a few weeks ago. We actually didn't go out to eat as it was a short trip.

Here's the menu/bar prices for the Le Banc opposite the main télécabine. It's divided into an outside bar, and inside bar and a restaurant. Youll see a pression 300dl is between CHF 5-6.50 (£4.50-£5.80) and a 500dl between CHF 8-9.50 (£7.20-£8.50). I paid £2.40/330dl can for a local IPA in the supermarket from a pack of 4. Obviously, you can buy larger packs and get it cheaper £/can. A bottle of 300dl beer up at the Savoleyres restaurant was £3

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 4-01-23 17:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@LaForet, thanks, that lift pass seems cheap, was that for the local area vs the 4 vallees? Think our 4 valley passes before Xmas were close to £70 per person per day. 15 CHF for a G&T from that link Skullie
ski holidays
@kitenski Yes, that was just the Savoleyres sector. In recent years, we've shifted towards getting either this is a Savoleyres+Verbier day pass (or perhaps 3 days if the weather is assured to be god) and then extending it if we found ourselves wanting to go further. This is because now we're older and go out for longer, we often snowshoe on Saturdays when the nutters are out or if the weather is bad; and we need a rest after 3 days of skiing anyway, so it makes sense for us. But if you're only there for you annual 6/13 days of skiing, the 4 Valleys pass makes sense.
snow conditions
Chasing the groms down the M25 in the evening light

Mayentzet restaurant a good option on a budget
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy