Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2022/2023

Poster: A snowHead
taffvalais wrote:
Good news , telenendaz saying combatseline is running again

Confirmed. It’s running
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pistes in pretty good nick all things considered. Just skied Tournelle on the Savoleyres side and it was a delight. Tortin from Chassoure was also nice and chalky this morning - they have flattened the first 50m of giant moguls which makes it much more civilized. Plan de Fou had a few hard patches but still pretty decent. Getting to Chez Dany now requires some care on the sunny bits. I went too fast and had a Candide moment on the grass. Very quiet today. Assume it’s the transfer day calm before the half term storm?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
M25 skiing fast this morning. Junior broke 100kph Shocked

Some nice chalky snow and old pow in the trees in Vallon d’arby. Biggest queue of the weekend at La Tzoumaz!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rory Stewart wondering up the Main Street yesterday morning. Always thought he had good taste snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone for an update on conditions in the 4V? I'm just about to book to come to Nendaz next week - is that good choice for a cheaper alternative to Verbier? Easy access to the main area? We are intermediate skiers. Thx!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nendaz and La Tzoumaz are both viable satellites to Verbier’s hub. Each has its pros and cons and both obviously have the negative of not being Verbier and the positive of being cheaper accommodation. Nendaz is somewhat over-developed in my view, but the new gondola up to Plan du Feu is a big improvement on the old one. La Tzoumaz/Savoleyres is mainly north-facing, which may be a factor if there’s no more snow before you visit. La Tzoumaz’s weakness is if the direct piste from Savoleyres to Carrefour is shut at the half-way point due to avalanche danger after a heavy snowfall (meaning you have to ski into the town or get the gondola down), and the old and slow gondola from Verbier up to Savoleyres. I’ll post an alternative plan map which gives a better view of the layout. Both the satellites are good for piste intermediates, as is much of Vebier, where many sections of steeper reds have an easier alternative ‘by-pass’ run e.g. the steep red below the Col des Gentianes to Cabin du Mt.Fort, or the steeper sections between Attelas and Ruinettes. Whatever you do, don’t go down the Chassoure mogul field without traversing it in the gondola from Lac des Vaux to Tortin first.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here’s the plan map, which is to scale:

I’d say that from the Nendaz sector, Veysonnaz isn’t as near as it seems because the connection is a bit of a trek including a long drag above Combatzeline. You’d usually press on to the Verbier Sector. Conversely, if you’re in La Tzoumaz, you’d rarely bother to ski into the Nendaz Sector, given you’ve got easy access to Verbier and Bruson.

There’s one shortcoming of the map - it doesn’t have any detail of the Bruson ski area (bottom right) which is quite nice and an often quieter alternative to busier pistes in Verbier on school Wednesday sports afternoons and Weekends.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 23-02-23 16:06; edited 8 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
honky2 wrote:
Anyone for an update on conditions in the 4V? I'm just about to book to come to Nendaz next week - is that good choice for a cheaper alternative to Verbier? Easy access to the main area? We are intermediate skiers. Thx!

Sun, sun and sun for the last few weeks… pistes are still holding up fine and chance of some fresh over the weekend with more sun (but cooler temps) next week. Should still be good for piste skiing and itineraries (stick to the sides to avoid the big moguls).

From Nendaz it’s a bit of a schlep over to Verbier but the red Plan de Fou run is a highlight. Be careful on the black on the way back (it’s steep and can be icy) and you may also want to download in the lift on the Chassoure itinerary at the end of the day.

As above La Tzoumaz is another option but the path linking to Carrefour is closed due to wet snow avalanche risk so you have to ski down to Les Esserts and get the bus.

Webcams here for some pics of the pistes
https://verbier4vallees.ch/fr/informations-utiles/webcams
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@honky2 If you’re interested in comparing prices in La Tzoumaz, then perhaps take a look at one of the main rental agents like Quatre Vallées.

If you’re considering public transport to either satellite, then it’s a good idea to schedule the outbound flight earlier rather than later in the morning, as the train/télépherique/bus links to the two satellites aren’t as regular as Verbier’s. See the integrated SBB timetable. We usually get a LGW-GVA flight out around 8am, which leaves ~3 hours margin for flight and airport delays, and a return flight leaving GVA after 2pm. Using an advance Saver Day Pass, the tickets should be around £95 return/person, with the pass allowing you to travel any time on trains, public transport gondolas (like Riddes-Isérables and Le Chable-Verbier) and PostBus on the day in question.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
honky2 wrote:

For intermediate skiers, particularly given the sone conditions, I’d say you’ve made a good choice, but I’m biased!!

I’ve always thought that for piste skiing the Prinze sector (Nendaz, Siviez, Veysonnaz, Thyon) is actually better than the Verbier sector.

I hope you’re not out off by the buttons and t bars. It generally means the ‘bowl’ between Siviez and Veysonnaz is pretty quiet. Les Shottes is a great stop for lunch and the Veysonnaz piste and the Piste de L’ours are fantastic, particularly if you start at the top of Chimenee. Get the 4 man up Etherolla and push round the back of the hill to avoid the Chimenee poma. The Cambuse at the bottom of Theytaz is another good spot for a civilised lunch.

Nendaz has been overdeveloped but the new Gondola has made a big difference and there are lots of very good restaurants and 1 or 2 lively bars.

It’s all good, I’m going to be there at the same time as you and I cannot wait!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One tip that I'd forgotten about and which might be new to you if you've not skied the 4V before - facing downhill, piste poles on the left have a short band on the top, ones on the right side of the piste have a long band on the top. This is very useful in heavy fog when you're easily disoriented. In some places, it'd be a life-saver.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 23-02-23 19:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks very much everyone for the super useful input
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LaForet wrote:
One tip that I'd forgotten about and which might be new to you if you've not skied the 4V before - piste poles on the left have a short band on the top, ones on the right side of the piste have a long band on the top. This is very useful in heavy fog when you're easily disoriented. In some places, it'd be a life-saver.

Never noticed that!! Good tip.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fifespud wrote:
LaForet wrote:
One tip that I'd forgotten about and which might be new to you if you've not skied the 4V before - piste poles on the left have a short band on the top, ones on the right side of the piste have a long band on the top. This is very useful in heavy fog when you're easily disoriented. In some places, it'd be a life-saver.

Never noticed that!! Good tip.

Particularly on the path from bottom of Jumbo to Cabane Mont Fort where you regularly see people falling off the edge of the winding track in a pea souper!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nendaz is probably a bit over developed but it's fine for what it is and as others have said, the new gondola is a good alternative to getting the bus round (and they've started charging to park at Siviez, though quite a few still drive). The main pain is the crappy 4 seater on the way back but you will get very familiar with that journey and timings, both ways. You might want to download (actually just stay in the gondola) Plan du Fou on the way back. They piste it these days but it is still steep.

The Tortin chair can be a pinch point for getting over to Verbier. And both the lifts after but not quite so bad. If you're intermediate skiers then you probably want to download either Chassoure or Gentiane on way back.

There's nothing over to Thyon/Veysonnaz that should too hard. It does involve a lot of paths getting there and back. The Greppon drag is the pinch point lift for that sector.

Because of the way the ski area is, spread out i.e. in distinct sectors, personally I think navigation is quite easy. If you get up earl,y you could go on day safaris e.g. over to Thyon/Versonnaz one day, over to Tzoumaz another. Verbier will probably be your main destination. Just avoid anything labelled as an itinerary.
snow conditions
The webcams are really good too, along with Bob's pics:

https://verbier4vallees.ch/fr/informations-utiles/webcams

https://www.nendaz.ch/en/Z13326/webcams

https://www.veysonnaz.ch/en/Z13615/webcams

https://www.latzoumaz.ch/winter/ski-area/webcams/
ski holidays
Pistes still decent above the clouds today.

Alas they’ve shut Mont Gele so just did a couple of piste laps and tried out some demo piste skis. A few people about so need to keep your wits about you. Vid of Attelas to La Chaux

http://youtube.com/v/iCZVCFuhUTw
ski holidays
10cm top up has freshened things up

http://youtube.com/v/WnlSWZwd09Y
snow conditions
All of the long-range forecasts are predicting snow snow snow starting around March 7th and continuing for at least a week. Could this be the late winter surprise we have all been waiting for?
snow report
Brndn wrote:
All of the long-range forecasts are predicting snow snow snow starting around March 7th and continuing for at least a week. Could this be the late winter surprise we have all been waiting for?

Let’s go Brandon!
snow conditions
Let's Go!!!!!!!
ski holidays
1m at altitude incoming…
snow report
The pistes are still in a very good condition. Gentianes to Tortin was great apart from the bottom bit before the schuss. Today was quite busy.
snow conditions
I really need bigger pictures Bob, my eyes aren't what they were wink
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
I really need bigger pictures Bob, my eyes aren't what they were wink

Are you still on that Nokia? Surely it’s time to upgrade to an iPhone?
latest report
I may be getting in the car this weelend looking at the forecast !
ski holidays
Massive snowfalls incoming. This is at resort level (1500m)

At Cabane Mont Fort (2450)

And at Mont Fort (3300m)

Accompanied by high winds so there will be closures and high avi Risk for a few days but should set things up for a fantastic Spring season. Fingers crossed!
latest report
@BobinCH, Bring it on! snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The itineraries Verbier is famous for should be in much better shape next week

And a Birds Eye view of the “Mur de Tortin”
latest report
Any tips for where to ski over the next few days if visibility is poor? I am staying near the Median lift.
snow conditions
Matrix wrote:
Any tips for where to ski over the next few days if visibility is poor? I am staying near the Median lift.

When do you arrive? Today you should go high with good viz and a high snowline last night. Tomorrow / Saturday it should be colder so try La Tzoumaz trees (mellow) and/or Bruson (steeper). I will head for Bruson trees on Saturday. Sunday should be the best day - go high!

Les Otanes is a mellow itinerary on the Bruson side

Vallon d’Arbi also very good of its open but navigation trickier in bad viz so don’t go alone

An easy one above town is the Clambin itinerary which takes you past Chez Dany
snow conditions
Arriving tonight but with a mixed group and left my avi gear behind. I doubt we will be off piste anyway given the mixed abilities (all piste skiing to black run without giant movuls). Tzoumaz - are the pistes in the trees a good choice?
snow report
Matrix wrote:
Arriving tonight but with a mixed group and left my avi gear behind. I doubt we will be off piste anyway given the mixed abilities (all piste skiing to black run without giant movuls). Tzoumaz - are the pistes in the trees a good choice?

Yes it’s sh1tty old gondola up to Savoleyres but once you’re up there you can lap the modern La Tzoumaz gondola and either ski back down to Verbier via the Carrefour path or get the lift down. From Medran all the buses go to the roundabout where the Savoleyres gondola is. Bruson also has a red and black piste if you want something different. Just get the gondola down to Le Châble and up the other side. Great lifts over that side since the new 6 man went in this season.
latest report
The La Tzoumaz pistes are good for intermediates who prefer to stay on-piste and being north-facing, are often in relatively good condition compared to some of the Verbier slopes.

A nice long run is from the highest point at the summit of the Tournelle chair (the chair in the Savoleyres webcam) down to the Village and (modern) télécabine back up to Savoleyers. You can join this only slightly lower down from the top if you turn right coming off the gondola from LTZ / off the 6-person Nord chair and cross onto the furthest piste and then keep left of the Nord gate (Nord is the chair back up to Savoleyres summit). Any boarders need to keep as much speed as possible past/below the Nord gate as it flattens out a bit there. The full run drops about 900m.

If you look at the Savoleyres webcam, to the left of the gondola building, you can see two pistes. Both lead to the Nord chairlift or the run just below it to the left down to the village. About ⅔ way along the right run you can peel off on a connecting run that goes to Chez Simon (next). Here's a very old video of me skiing down to Chez Simon on the right piste - note it's very easy to miss the fork off to the right.

http://youtube.com/v/UeonYN8pTNs

A nice place to stop for lunch or a vin chaud is the independent Chez Simon café/restaurant which is just above the Nord chair:

I can recommend the croute aux champignons, the vin chaud (not too spicy, not too sweet) and their made-on-site tarte (afternoon only). Wines come from the eponymous M. Simon's own vineyards in the valley.

Actually, the café/bar at Etablons isn't bad :

Etablons is just above the final run down into the La Tzoumaz télécabine and is next to the road and roundabout where the navette turns round. The baby slope is there and so is an older 2-person chair back up to above Chez Simon. This chair runs at weekends and in the peak weeks, and is a good alternative to the gondola if it's busy at the bottom. The chairlift is off to the left before you go over the tunnel next to the bar and is easy to miss if you're concentrating on the ralentir section.

The large restaurant/café at the Savoleyres (pronounced 'savv-oh-lairs') summit is a good place to rendezvous and wait if people are going in different directions. It has nice views across to Verbier (below). Cheaper options are the goulash, vegetable soup and sausage+fries. Salads are generally pricey. I've used my Apple Watch to pay at most places.

If you find yourself approaching LTZ from the Vallon d'Arbi or woods then you may have to go on the blue run alongside the road down to Etablons. There's a really nice buvette on it called the Maison de la Foret which is small but very cosy.

Getting back to Verbier you have four possible routes. (1) You can just hop on the ancient gondola back down or (2) If you ski you either drop down at Savoleyres, or at the top of the Tailley chairlift, or by the Croix de Coeur restaurant. This takes you to an avalanche gate. If the gate is open you can (3) continue along a gentle run back to the Carrefour bus stop. If the gate is shut (4) you have to turn right (or you may choose to do so) and ski down to the road on a red and cross the road onto the Verbier learner slope.
latest report
@BobinCH, @LaForet, thank you both. Much appreciated
snow report
@LaForet is badly underselling the Tarte au Pommes at Chez Simon....it is simple THE BEST in the whole world!

Sadly though no more goulash at the top...just a wholesome and hearty vegetable soup with loads of cheese and croutons too.
ski holidays
It’s snowing in town. Too warm to settle on the roads at the moment but it’s heavy snow flakes. Looks promising!
ski holidays
Looks like it’s going to dump for the next few hours and then snow continually through to Sunday morning!
latest report
As usual on a windy day the Attelas couloirs delivered the goods snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/J7yQ85fsiak
snow conditions
Jumping in the car this afternoon. Not looking forward to the drive. Am looking forward to the conditions.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy