Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2021/2022 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
OK I'll do it then! Wishing everyone a great winter, lots of snow & sunshine, and heaps of fun in the wonderful PdS! snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ta! I'll be at our place in early November, just in time for the normal 'Oooh, it's started to snow, maybe we can open the lifts earlier' announcements'. (They never can!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmm, November not likely, but the impromptu weekend openings early December should happen if there's snow. Snow not followed by rain obviously... Confused
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Surely has to be better. I didn’t manage a single turn in 2020 (last trip was Christmas 2019) and none so far in 2021. I’ll be forgetting which way round the skis fit if it goes on much longer!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Matt1959, problem being, as I understand it, is a combination of programmed* startup testing/etc. and defined seasonal contracts. Leaving little to no flexibility to open earlier (or later) than planned.

* programmed not planned, as the best laid plans, etc. ... https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/savoie/courchevel-deux-telecabines-endommagees-lors-d-un-controle-annuel-2272702.html
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
25 Nov for me for a couple of days. If there’s any touring to be done, jolly good, if not I’ll find some DIY to do.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BBC seems to be suggesting some snow/sleet is on the way at the weekend.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, IMHO (and maybe cynical opinion) it's just a bit of marketing hype pre season. Mind you, I've seen them open lifts when there is no snow so they can say 'lifts in all sector opened on X December.....'
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Matt1959, I don't think I understand your comment?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, First bit or the second bit? I think that the 'we can maybe open the lifts early' is just something to generate some excitement, but as you say - it's not something that they can realistically do due to their other constraints.

The opening lifts without snow comes into play in subsequent seasons, as I've seen statements like 'In 20xx lifts in all sectors opened on xxth December.' But we know that there were no pistes open in some sectors.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are just trying to remember which year it was, I think 14 years ago, that David happened to be nearby, well in Luxembourg for a meeting, and popped into our chalet in Les Gets for the weekend. It was around 15th November. It snowed and he took some fabulous photos on the Friday and then the lifts opened on the Saturday. Well it was probably just the Chavannes Express, and maybe La Croix. No doubt also opened on the Sunday, but he drove back to the UK.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went up for a little hike today, looks like all the snow cannons are in place and the pistes have been mowed.

Tried out my new ski touring equipment below....good tracking capabilities, and recall functioned well despite blatant distraction attempts by squirrel and fox.

FATMAP in 3D can take up hours of fun zooming in and figuring out what each peak is called and how the whole area is linked. It's like flying a drone around with easy mouse control etc.....great tool for planning hikes and learning about the terrain layout, connecting areas and so on.
Overview of Plan Dranse - Chatel below, looking north towards Lac Leman

https://fatmap.com/around/Ch%C3%A2tel/France/@46.2514719,6.8035889,7886.5145985,-26.8937789,0,1372.2868115,satellite

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 22-10-21 18:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@polo, sweet. Staffy?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, yep, previously had an Am-Staff (brutally taken out by reckless driver off road / forest track a few years ago).....this one is 5 months now, and is easier to handle, they don't need special training or license, ie not Category 1 or 2.

Forgot to add the 3 day ski test in Avoriaz this season is on 10-12 Dec, only 20 eur per day lift pass, 60 brands to try
https://www.avoriaz.com/en/fiche/rock-on-snow/

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 22-10-21 15:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any sign of any sner yet?
snow report
@andy from embsay, no, there was a layer of dust last night, still visible to 1800m early this morning, now long gone. We're below average temps this weekend but the precipitation passed to the north....so another missed opportunity given favourable background (NW air flow).

November always delivers. Apart from last November, so this one should be lay up Very Happy
snow conditions
Anyone got a decent village map of Les Gets that they can post?

Think it'll be our venue for the family trip and I don't want to be too far away from the village amenities if me or the wife end up with child care duties!
snow report
@northantsred, google maps best for street names, fatmap below pointing north. Which area are you looking at......most accomodation is very central, short walk to lift / town, also local bus/minibus options

https://fatmap.com/around/Ch%C3%A2tel/France/@46.1548118,6.6605285,1890.9662896,-26.8971958,43.1251658,1171.4247497,satellite
latest report
@polo, very cute. As kids we had a russet Staffy back in the day when exotic designer colours like yours weren't available. Very lovely, lovable dogs.
ski holidays
@under a new name, important to match dog tone with the upholstery, especially as this breed spends most of the day re-arranging it

Anyway, models looking good for early Nov....another NW blast appearing
latest report
polo wrote:
@under a new name, important to match dog tone with the upholstery, especially as this breed spends most of the day re-arranging it

Anyway, models looking good for early Nov....another NW blast appearing

Let’s hope so!
latest report
If we do get some snow during November, where would you lads recommend for a steady away skin up/slide down early in the season if the cover’s pretty thin? I’m out for a couple of days at the end of November and would quite like to do a wee bit - I guess somewhere over on the Les Gets side as it’s less rocky? Happy to just do a short bit of up and down for a couple of hours so don’t need a “tour” as such - but have some new skis so would like to give them a quick try out before the season starts.
snow conditions
I'll be in Morzine for a long weekend in the middle of March. Looking forward to getting back again, will be my 4th trip to the area now. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly!
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, hard to go wrong with Chavannes area imv for early touring, if you have transport drive up and park at 1500m and head up towards Tetes des Cretes....or start near the lake/school and try the bowl (longer walk in). This area definitely seems to do relatively well for snow at only 1400-1800m....largely north facing. Also a relatively safe area in my view with few hazards.

Different advantages / plenty of choices for meadow sliding. Mont Chery is a different level, relentless pitch on the up and then of course the descent is quick. I did a few pre-opening write ups and videos in previous threads, but happy to meet up or answer any questions as usual. If there is fresh snow odds are good I'll be up and at it early.

Will you have touring skiis? or plan to carry them up? Pistes might not be bashed yet at that stage too
latest report
Thanks @polo, was looking at a few of your photos/vids from last year so that’s what got me thinking. Do they keep the road up to Chavannes clear?

And yes - have touring skis/skins etc - in fact have a new set with some ATK bindings that I want to have a bash on asap!
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, great.....yeah that road is always clear, bus goes up all season, either to Foilets de golf for a link to Pleney, but also goes to the top at Les Chavannes 1500m.
Having said that, as it would be November the road is only used by the terrain prep / maintenance teams, so I usually wait to see a few snowploughs go past before getting in the car....would be exceptional though to have any issues with good tires.
snow report
Nice one @polo, - may well see you up there last weekend in Nov. I’ll be the one trying to work out how my new bindings work (have Shifts on my current skis…).
ski holidays
Well I can't help you there, never had any binding issues on my split plank....believe BobinCH and others here are experts in the ski tour binding universe. Hundreds of pages.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@polo, thanks.

Not sure yet as it depends whether or not our 4&5 year olds come along. If they do then we need to be adjacent to the nursery slopes for ease of access to their slopes and convenience.
snow conditions
Two little hikes up from 1500m to 1700m, easily 25cm light cold snow

Morning coffee full of anticipation for first day on the snow

Towards Nyon / Chammossiere

Dont recommend coming down skiers left (below) of Chavannes unless there's a pisted track to regain speed as it's too flat in the middle, skiers right is much better in these conditions.
Similar angle photo to the mowed lawn version a few posts above.
ski holidays
Thank you Polo for the comparable photos. Putting the snow cannons out has really worked!
Just ordered replacement snowchains and fingers crossed for 18th December.
ski holidays
@banksi, Very Happy they work miracles with those machines......I don't know if they'll be turned on this weekend though, despite staying below freezing for next few days it's looking mild and dry out to mid november right now.....so hopefully that changes soon

Anyone interested in an easy short tour the vid below from this morning (featuring new pup) is skiers right. Park near the button lift, march straight up, slide straight down....about 20mins up and 2mins down (with stops for pups / sliders out of shape).

http://youtube.com/v/2nFfe7hrPU0
ski holidays
Cracking little film @polo, hopefully there’ll be a bit left to play about on in 3 weeks when I get out for a couple of days.
snow conditions
plenty of time, some good reasons to be optimistic:

- it's pretty standard here to have about 3 weeks between snowfalls
- it should be getting cold enough by end of Nov to run canons
- some longer term weather charts are moving in the right direction

I think you got the same roll over pds super discount pass as me, so there's always the free Verbier/ Cham trips?
ski holidays
@polo, Nice!

I really like that area, some nice pistes to have some fun on
snow report
polo wrote:
plenty of time, some good reasons to be optimistic:

- it's pretty standard here to have about 3 weeks between snowfalls
- it should be getting cold enough by end of Nov to run canons
- some longer term weather charts are moving in the right direction

I think you got the same roll over pds super discount pass as me, so there's always the free Verbier/ Cham trips?

Indeed - my mate has an immensely wealthy bunch of relatives who all own property in Verbs, so a few trips over there on the cards!
snow report
@andy from embsay, please never say Verbs again.
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, is that not a done thing?
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, Laughing
snow report
Am looking to go to Morzine arriving late Sunday , I think it will be a push to get my daughter into ski school for the Monday morning .Is it possible that she can start ski school either the Monday afternoon or Tuesday - Fri or Sat ? Many thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy