Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sestriere - Sold!

Poster: A snowHead
sestriere ski resort
The Giant Fiat Company is selling its Sestriere S.p.A subsidiary to two Turin businessmen for 25-30m Eur. The company manages and owns much of the Vialattea (Milky Way) lift System and owns land around and some large properties in the town of Sestriere...Between 1930 and 1934 Giovanni Agnelli, the founder of Fiat, built a Winter access road, Sestriere's first two lifts and the famous towers as hotels at their foot, turning Sestriere into Italy's first ski resort.
His grandson Gianni Agnelli, famously used it as a Winter playground and was said to be instrumental in winning the bid to bring the Winter Olympics to Turin. Sadly Gianni Agnelli died in 2003, before the Olympics took place but Fiat sponsored the the event to the tune of 59m Eur.

The Agnellis still own 30% of Fiat (Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino ), a company they started at the turn of the last century and employed over 200,000 people locally in the '60's. The family became regarded as Royalty to the area
The fates of Fiat and the region around Turin were entwined for a century but now with production moving east, Fiat as a company is focussing its interests and continues to seperate from the City which gave it its name. Turin is accordingly moving from an industrial base to one centred on tourism.

Recently the company has been divesting itself of much of its non-auto interests and Sestriere S.p.A is being sold as part of this process although it would have been hard to imagine it happening a few years ago.

this from the Times:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,172-2214393,00.html

Sestriere + the Milky Way
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Seems cheap. Could be a joint snowheads' purchase? wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got a fiver anyone else want to chip in snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Say 100 members chip in, that's £210K each, peanuts Wink. Wonder what 1% of the net profit would be...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That looks like a bargain. What's the Euro lotto jackpot this week?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Gianni Agnelli, the late Fiat patriarch, loved nothing better than to be taken by helicopter from his Turin villa straight to the slopes he owned. He would be dropped at the top of the mountain, already wearing his skis, so that he could ski straight down without the trouble of taking a lift.

Mmmm.....perhaps incredible wealth could bring me greater happiness Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have so many snowHeads trips it seems a shame to keep flying out... lets just buy the resort and solve the problem forever Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well there are 4522 snowheads which brings the cost down to just under £4645 each - now that really is a bargain! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't get how you can purchase a ski resort. Does all the land belong to one person and they lease it out to hotel companies? Do they own all the land that the pistes are and lifts are on too?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Does all the land belong to one person etc
where we are in France, the lift company rents the right to place pylons etc. and to allow people to ski on the mountain from whoever owns the land. The mountains themselves have various owners (all private in our area) but I don't know if the local government can compel owners to rent the land out for the good of the local economy.

The formula for calculating the rent is due to change this year or next although I think the net effect is minimal.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
katski wrote:
Well there are 4522 snowheads which brings the cost down to just under £4645 each - now that really is a bargain! Madeye-Smiley
Not a few would have to cough up their share at least once though! wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AN02ZEJ, The article mentions that they bought the alpine meadows, so by implication the land. It also mentions that the sale includes some hotels.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can you imagine the chaos if we ran a ski resort?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, imagine the arguements, sorry, constructive debates over every little matter.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well it is too late to think about that...I've put in a call and subject to them agreeing to my price and legal documentation I've bought it.
ski holidays
Kramer, w'ed never get past the terms and conditions of any contract to buy it in the first place.
snow conditions
rungsp, That's odd. They've just agreed to sell it to me too. Do you think we've been conned?
latest report
What would the management hierarchy be like?
snow report
Management hierarchy will be a very simple one:
I say "jump!"
You say "how high?"

WiRED, ...don't get in my way or it will be the HorseHead that you will be waking up to!

Now stop wasting my time...their lawyers are due to call me at any moment with the confirmation of my purchase.

What is Italian for "GET ORRFF MY LAND!!!!"
snow conditions
rungsp wrote:
...don't get in my way or it will be the HorseHead that you will be waking up to!

That really is a cr@p pub. Ok, You can have Sestriere, but don't try and block my purchase of Courchevel 1850 again Mad

rungsp wrote:
What is Italian for "GET ORRFF MY LAND!!!!"

Mi casa, mi casa ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy