Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How affordable is Courchevel 1650 for a family on a budget?

Poster: A snowHead
Another tip: Some pizzas in 1650 restaurants are huge. More than enough for two adults to share one pizza. There. As Tesco used to say: Every little helps! Eh oh!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Motherofthree, agree that for mainly blue and green pistes it is a good decision to just buy the Courchevel Valley pass. You can always think about a one day extension to take the children to Meribel on say the last day, once you know your way around and if the weather is good.

For the benefit of anyone else reading this thread, you certainly can ski from 1650 to Val Thorens / Orelle and back using only blue runs. But it won't be the shortest route, so you would need to keep moving at a reasonable pace.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this but the FIS Alpine Ski World Championships finish on Sunday the 19th with the Men's Slalom in Courchevel 1850. We have tickets for the race (hoping to see Dave Ryding) but there should also be a carnival atmosphere in town that evening - keep an eye for details of the closing ceremony, any fireworks etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A trip up to 1850 on the bus is definitely worthwhile anyway, for the entertainment and people-watching options. It's not far and the bus is also an easier option than skiing across, in some situations.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BobinCH wrote:
@Motherofthree, if you have some stronger skiers you can (used to be able to?) buy a 1 day 3V extension to your local lift pass for them to go and explore the 3V’s. It’s worth it for Mottaret and Val Thorens on a good weather/good snow day. I would imagine skiing from 1650 to 4th Valley and back is about as far as you can travel on skis in the Alps without skiing the same piste twice - it would make for a cracking day.

That's a good idea if it's possible to buy a 1 day 3V extension to the local lift pass, thanks for the tip.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PeakyB wrote:
@Motherofthree, yes, I think you've made sound decisions there. You've done exceptionally well on the budget. Hopefully the exchange rate won't be too bad 5 months from now. Stash away a couple of gold bullion bars in case Laughing

As @adriangrogan, says, Relax and look forward to it. Also do a bit of more detailed research in those spare moments a @Motherofthree, gets. Little Angel
SnowHeads who know the area like the back of their mittens will give great advice free. Seemingly small stuff that really makes a difference, like:
- aspect of slopes at certain times of day to get best conditions
- routes and times to minimise lift queues (important at half term)
- latest news on the evolving eats 'n' drinks scene
- more challenging blue and easier red runs you might progress on without much risk
- good toilets and ones to avoid
- which mega celebrities are in town this week (eg George Clooney, Holly Willoughby, Heidi Klum, various snowHeads).

If a glossy paper piste map helps planning at all, I'll have a spare one somewhere I could send you, just PM me.

Thanks, yes the exchange rate worries me a bit, but hopefully it will be a bit better than now 5 months in the future... We will wait with booking ski equipment and lift passes for this reason.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for your replies everyone!

@ecureuil Sounds interesting that it is possible to ski to Val Thorens on only blue runs from 1650. We will see if we can perhaps buy the 1 day 3V extension lift pass. I can imagine it would be quite a long journey and I'm not sure if my youngest one would be able to manage, but perhaps one of us could do this with one or both teenagers one day.

@franga We are leaving 19th February, so will miss this. Sounds fun though.

@pam_w Yes, we definitely want to visit the 1850 town centre one day, just to see what it's like. Interesting to hear that the bus there can be an easier option than skiing in some situations. I wonder if it's quicker to take the bus or to ski over to 1850?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Motherofthree, if you wanted to minimise the risk of currency fluctuations, you could always setup a Revolut account now. It's all app driven and you also get a physical card. A free account would probably be enough for your needs.

You can then start putting some cash aside by transferring sterling across to the GBP account and then slowly start exchanging into Euros. You can then use the card to pay for lift passes nearer the time and also use it for your grocery shopping, eating out and some cash machine withdrawals etc.

Provided you don't exchange currency at weekends (when they charge a small fee) you will generally get much better rates than a high street bank etc. Quick example Revolut rate is currently 1.117 and Thomas Exchange Global click and collect is 1.1012

Plenty of SH snowHead have Revolut accounts and there is plenty of discussion on them and so maybe worth considering. I've used one for a few years now and have had no issues. If you have any questions you can always drop me a PM.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Motherofthree, the bus will be quicker, but you'd miss out on a really nice and mostly easy ski over. The run down from top aguille fruit down altiport across the top of pralong and down the green bellcotte into the center of 1850.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sno trax wrote:
@Motherofthree, if you wanted to minimise the risk of currency fluctuations, you could always setup a Revolut account now. It's all app driven and you also get a physical card. A free account would probably be enough for your needs.

You can then start putting some cash aside by transferring sterling across to the GBP account and then slowly start exchanging into Euros. You can then use the card to pay for lift passes nearer the time and also use it for your grocery shopping, eating out and some cash machine withdrawals etc.

Provided you don't exchange currency at weekends (when they charge a small fee) you will generally get much better rates than a high street bank etc. Quick example Revolut rate is currently 1.117 and Thomas Exchange Global click and collect is 1.1012

Plenty of SH snowHead have Revolut accounts and there is plenty of discussion on them and so maybe worth considering. I've used one for a few years now and have had no issues. If you have any questions you can always drop me a PM.

Thanks for the tip, we have considered getting a Revolut or Wise account with an attached card actually. At the moment we are always using our Halifax Clarity credit card for taking out cash and paying for goods and services abroad. This has worked well in both Europe, the US and Asia and the exchange rate we are getting is apparently very good. But it might be even better with Revolut or Wise.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 28-09-22 8:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ansta1 wrote:
@Motherofthree, the bus will be quicker, but you'd miss out on a really nice and mostly easy ski over. The run down from top aguille fruit down altiport across the top of pralong and down the green bellcotte into the center of 1850.

Thanks for the info, good to know! Sounds like a lovely run into the centre of 1850.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Motherofthree wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

Thanks for the info, good to know! Sounds like a lovely run into the centre of 1850.

The official Courchevel website is a great starting point for any practical information you may need. You could also download the piste map for the Courchevel Valley as well as the whole area in pdf format and marvel at the myriad of blue runs, routes etc. This is something that I do religiously each autumn and I've been boarding in the 3Vs since 1999. You'll get a lot of tips on itineraries, runs, restaurants etc if you resurrect this thread nearer the time.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@YellowAndBlue, as I mentioned above. 1 bubble and 1 chair and you're in 1850. It's then at worst 1 chair and 1 gondola and you have access into meribel, or ski all the way down under 1850 and then easy access to la Tania. I'd call it skiing not travelling. Also 1650 isn't exactly short of terrain if you just wanted to stick to that side of the hill.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Motherofthree wrote:
Ryunis wrote:
1650 is about as affordable as most other big French ski resorts IMO, but better than most. Creux, Saulire and Folyeres are about as good as it gets for on-piste skiiing.
When there's a group of you SC, then making your own sandwiches and packing snacks for the slopes is a no brainer. Not only will it save you 100s during the week, but you may end up eating in some nicer spots (weather dependent of course). I know that there are also some cheapish options to eat at. e.g. The Bubble bar in 1650 used to do paninis for about 6EUR, you've also got a load of sandwich shops in the villages.
Adriangrogan's point above is valid. Courchevel on its own is a fantastic ski area and should provide enough skiing for most punters. Especially given that 1650 is right at the far end of the3V, it may be worth considering sticking to Courch only and saving quite a bit without spoiling your trip. My experience of Meribel is that it's more of a junction to Val T than a ski resort in itself anyway (fully expect to be shot down for this though)

Thanks for your advice, I think we will stick to Courchevel only and have a relaxing time, rather than trying to see as much as possible of the 3V. We are only confident on green and blue runs when skiing with the children, so it makes sense to stick to one area.

No worries. I did pick up on you being comfortable on blues and greens. Folyeres will be fantastic then (over towards La Tania on the map). The red Saulire piste is from the peak above 1850 and may be a bit daunting at the top as it is quite steep. Maybe worth looking down before making a decision. Creux is the another option and a bit gentler, but also superb.

I am starting to get the ski itch now but getting married and buying a big project house has ruled that out for me so I will live via forums with strangers instead!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The red Saulire piste is from the peak above 1850 and may be a bit daunting at the top as it is quite steep.

What was the Peter James book where the bady took her new husband up the Saulire in white out conditions to do this route then led him to the Meribel couloir where he fell to his death and she inherited his fortune?

Not that I want to put you off a straightforward route after reading a not very believable scenario from a novel.
snow report
franga wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

The official Courchevel website is a great starting point for any practical information you may need. You could also download the piste map for the Courchevel Valley as well as the whole area in pdf format and marvel at the myriad of blue runs, routes etc. This is something that I do religiously each autumn and I've been boarding in the 3Vs since 1999. You'll get a lot of tips on itineraries, runs, restaurants etc if you resurrect this thread nearer the time.

Thanks, yes I have already checked out the Courchevel website and piste map. I`d love to get some restaurant recommendations nearer the time.
latest report
Ryunis wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
Ryunis wrote:
1650 is about as affordable as most other big French ski resorts IMO, but better than most. Creux, Saulire and Folyeres are about as good as it gets for on-piste skiiing.
When there's a group of you SC, then making your own sandwiches and packing snacks for the slopes is a no brainer. Not only will it save you 100s during the week, but you may end up eating in some nicer spots (weather dependent of course). I know that there are also some cheapish options to eat at. e.g. The Bubble bar in 1650 used to do paninis for about 6EUR, you've also got a load of sandwich shops in the villages.
Adriangrogan's point above is valid. Courchevel on its own is a fantastic ski area and should provide enough skiing for most punters. Especially given that 1650 is right at the far end of the3V, it may be worth considering sticking to Courch only and saving quite a bit without spoiling your trip. My experience of Meribel is that it's more of a junction to Val T than a ski resort in itself anyway (fully expect to be shot down for this though)

Thanks for your advice, I think we will stick to Courchevel only and have a relaxing time, rather than trying to see as much as possible of the 3V. We are only confident on green and blue runs when skiing with the children, so it makes sense to stick to one area.

No worries. I did pick up on you being comfortable on blues and greens. Folyeres will be fantastic then (over towards La Tania on the map). The red Saulire piste is from the peak above 1850 and may be a bit daunting at the top as it is quite steep. Maybe worth looking down before making a decision. Creux is the another option and a bit gentler, but also superb.

I am starting to get the ski itch now but getting married and buying a big project house has ruled that out for me so I will live via forums with strangers instead!

Thanks for the tips. Good luck with your wedding and big project house Smile
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

The red Saulire piste is from the peak above 1850 and may be a bit daunting at the top as it is quite steep.

What was the Peter James book where the bady took her new husband up the Saulire in white out conditions to do this route then led him to the Meribel couloir where he fell to his death and she inherited his fortune?

Not that I want to put you off a straightforward route after reading a not very believable scenario from a novel.

I have no idea lol.
snow report
My wife and I usually stay at Brides les Bains. We rent a small apartment for 2 weeks. We book in advance - the price is about 70-80 euros per night. It is important that the apartment is located closer to the lift. You will not pay much, but you will ride in the Three Valleys, including expensive Courchevel.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I think that was "Love You Dead".
snow report
Roman50 wrote:
My wife and I usually stay at Brides les Bains. We rent a small apartment for 2 weeks. We book in advance - the price is about 70-80 euros per night. It is important that the apartment is located closer to the lift. You will not pay much, but you will ride in the Three Valleys, including expensive Courchevel.

Thanks for the tip about Brides les Bains didn't realise this is in the 3V. We have already booked the apartment in Courchevel 1650 though and don't want to swap the resort.
snow conditions
@Motherofthree, for future reference, RE: Brides les Bains in case you are unsure of the area.

B.L.B is at the bottom of the valley close to Moutiers, you cannot ski to it, unless there has been an epic amount of consistent snowfall to valley level, in 3 seasons of working in meribel, i think it was achievable 3 or 4 times!!

it is good, relatively cheapish base if you are prepared to drive up to courcheval or meribel, or alternatively there is the gondola that links BLB with meribel (its covered on the lift pass), but it stops running around 5:30ish so just enough time to grab a quick apres drink before heading back down the valley

am sure you will have a great time in the 3valleys
ski holidays
terrygasson wrote:
@Motherofthree, for future reference, RE: Brides les Bains in case you are unsure of the area.

B.L.B is at the bottom of the valley close to Moutiers, you cannot ski to it, unless there has been an epic amount of consistent snowfall to valley level, in 3 seasons of working in meribel, i think it was achievable 3 or 4 times!!

it is good, relatively cheapish base if you are prepared to drive up to courcheval or meribel, or alternatively there is the gondola that links BLB with meribel (its covered on the lift pass), but it stops running around 5:30ish so just enough time to grab a quick apres drink before heading back down the valley

am sure you will have a great time in the 3valleys

I see, thanks for explaining! I can see now why it could make sense to stay in B.L.B if you have a car and if the accommodation there is cheaper than in Courchevel or Meribel.
ski holidays
We love the 3V and do get the full pass. But spend at least 2 full days in courcheval also. So if you don’t mind repeating slopes it’s brilliant. And the smaller lift pass worth it
Best lunchtime on the slopes for us was a place above 1650. There was a snack bar and another lovely restaurant. Also bou blanc (sure I’ve spelt it wrong) above la Tania. Our fave of the week. And for a mountain place good value
We ate in all the time (covid) but that includes a couple of takeaway pizza/chickens.
latest report
Lucywuk wrote:
We love the 3V and do get the full pass. But spend at least 2 full days in courcheval also. So if you don’t mind repeating slopes it’s brilliant. And the smaller lift pass worth it
Best lunchtime on the slopes for us was a place above 1650. There was a snack bar and another lovely restaurant. Also bou blanc (sure I’ve spelt it wrong) above la Tania. Our fave of the week. And for a mountain place good value
We ate in all the time (covid) but that includes a couple of takeaway pizza/chickens.

Thanks for your reply. We haven't decided yet which lift pass to get, but we're leaning towards the Courchevel only one, as we prefer green and blue runs when skiing and the children have only been skiing for two weeks before.

Someone else in this thread mentioned Bouc Blanc for being a good place for lunch on the slopes. The place you liked above 1650, was it called Bel Air by any chance? Someone else recommended that place and I saw on their website that they have a restaurant as well as a snack bar. Could you eat things from the snack bar whilst sitting in the restaurant, or was the snack bar just for take-aways? There is quite a big difference in price between the restaurant and the snack bar in Bel Air Courchevel 1650.

I would love to get other recommendations for affordable places to eat on and off the slopes around Courchevel, so let me know if you have any other suggestions.
snow report
@Motherofthree, no, you can't eat snack bar food in the restaurant at Bel Air. Indeed, it's wise to book in advance for the Bel Air restaurant, which is very popular.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
@Motherofthree, no, you can't eat snack bar food in the restaurant at Bel Air. Indeed, it's wise to book in advance for the Bel Air restaurant, which is very popular.

Okay, thanks for the info. I can see that most dishes in the Bel Air restaurant cost €25+ each, plus a Coke is €6, and to me this is a bit too expensive as lunch for our family would come to at least €155. Bouc Blanc seem to offer better value, as the dishes there cost €20+ each, plus €5 for a Coke (according to the menus I could find online).
ski holidays
@Motherofthree, yes indeed, Bouc Blanc is much cheaper and very nice. I am mildly addicted to their cheese omelettes!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snack bar is the Bel Air and then just past it and down is another place. Wish I could recall the name, but it’s not £ like bel air.
Tbh picnic on the slopes is your best bet. Baguette, cheese, ham, eggs. Cereal bar. Stick to water (free) not coke when you are out and you save ££. Also the ‘self’s’ are way cheaper than restaurants
When we skied with the kids we sometimes stopped for a hot chocolate and water. Ate our baguettes when we found a nice view or picnic table and at the end of the day back to the apartment for more hot choc, cake/biscuits, bath/shower/nap.
I don’t remember ever eating in a mountain restaurant for years. Bar a couple of selfs or a snack bar chips and hotdog. Never a Plat du Jour. way too £££
snow report
Quote:

Tbh picnic on the slopes is your best bet

Yes, if it's nice sunny weather, but given you have a convenient apartment, and are going to be skiing locally, lunch in the apartment might be a good bet. It is lovely to have a good lunch on the slopes but we scarcely ever did, as a family - too expensive. By the time the kids were teenagers and skiing on their own, they had their pocket money and could decide what to spend it on. It was never anything more elaborate than a plate of chips! I always took a big bag of mini-choc bars and they stuffed a few in their pockets before heading out. It works a treat from ages 3 to 38!

Once there were just two of us a nice lunch on the slopes occasionally was a treat
- and now it's just me, it's a highlight of the day. Little Angel

In places like Courchevel the lunch places are rammed in the school holidays - and that makes lunchtime one of the very best times to be skiing, instead.
snow report
I wouldn't want to go back the the apartment as it takes too much out of your day.
If you don't want to go for packed lunch then I always find the shopping precincts are great for sandwiches, and these will be less than half the price of eating at a mountain top restaurant. There is a kind of mall in 1850 called Le Forum, which will have a few of these, and a couple of spots in 1650 too.
I would have to recommend The BLACK PEARL PIZZERIA. It might sound hyperbole to say it's the best pizza I have ever had, but the TripAdvisor comments corroborate. It is in St Bon, which is a little bit of a mission, but it is an absolute treat and would be quite memorable for you. There are free buses which will take you there and back. Trust them, they are reliable!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187262-d3726973-Reviews-Black_Pearl-Courchevel_Savoie_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes.html
snow report
https://www.seecourchevel.com/buses/getting-around-guide-to-region-690803
snow report
Courcheval can be cheaper if:

stay lower down the valley, Brides les Bains for example and drive up to la tania in the morning maybe.
even cheaper, bit mmm grotty ish is moutiers at the bottom, super cheap to stay. (cheaper petrol as well)

Bus goes up and down all day. not free, 20e return adults and bit less for kids....S65 goes from moutiers to la tania.
or huge car park in la tania if people drive.

dont use cafes on the slopes, take packed lunches and hot drinks.
all thats left is the expensive ski passes (360e for 6 days 22/23), no choice as walking up is not realistic. although, seen a few times people walking up ))
theres one free lift in la tania, little drag lift.
ive done several seasons here, the only way i could afford being in cour for several months.
if you want the in-resort experience using local restaurants, chalets or an apartment it'll be expensive.

Anyone reading this planning your trips for this winter, start looking at your ski pass prices, some resorts do early bird offers. can save a lot of money.
ski holidays
This is old (2018) but lists some picnic spots:

https://skimagic.co.uk/best-courchevel-picnic-spots/

Things do change over time.

The few indoor ones can be very useful in bad weather.
snow conditions
Motherofthree wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Okay, thanks for the info. I can see that most dishes in the Bel Air restaurant cost €25+ each, plus a Coke is €6, and to me this is a bit too expensive as lunch for our family would come to at least €155. Bouc Blanc seem to offer better value, as the dishes there cost €20+ each, plus €5 for a Coke (according to the menus I could find online).

The Bouc Blanc also has a snack bar on the side with plenty of loungers to sit / lie on if the sun is out. Very reasonably priced burgers, hot dogs and frites.

Down in La Tania (you ski down the most amazing of blue runs, Folyeres) there are a couple of good options for your group - Snowfood La Pizza Gourmande is a takeway but has a small number of tables outside, good range of pizzas, burgers, nuggets and salads. Very friendly owner too.
snow conditions
franga wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

The Bouc Blanc also has a snack bar on the side with plenty of loungers to sit / lie on if the sun is out. Very reasonably priced burgers, hot dogs and frites.

Down in La Tania (you ski down the most amazing of blue runs, Folyeres) there are a couple of good options for your group - Snowfood La Pizza Gourmande is a takeway but has a small number of tables outside, good range of pizzas, burgers, nuggets and salads. Very friendly owner too.

Agreed I LOVE la Tania. But we like to rotate between paridiski, 3V and used to go espace Killy. But won’t do that anymore.

This year Belle Plagne. Next year maybe St Martin de Belleville (he doesn’t know that yet!) but home via Jerusalem. What could be better!!
ski holidays
Lucywuk wrote:
Snack bar is the Bel Air and then just past it and down is another place. Wish I could recall the name, but it’s not £ like bel air.
Tbh picnic on the slopes is your best bet. Baguette, cheese, ham, eggs. Cereal bar. Stick to water (free) not coke when you are out and you save ££. Also the ‘self’s’ are way cheaper than restaurants
When we skied with the kids we sometimes stopped for a hot chocolate and water. Ate our baguettes when we found a nice view or picnic table and at the end of the day back to the apartment for more hot choc, cake/biscuits, bath/shower/nap.
I don’t remember ever eating in a mountain restaurant for years. Bar a couple of selfs or a snack bar chips and hotdog. Never a Plat du Jour. way too £££

Thanks for your reply. Yes, we will have a packed lunch most days or go back to the apartment for lunch, but we would ideally like to eat in a mountain restaurant once or twice during the week, plus go out for dinner a couple of evenings. But after having seen the prices in the "affordable" restaurants around Courchevel 1650, I'm thinking that we will probably want to limit eating out to one lunch and two dinners or something like that.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Tbh picnic on the slopes is your best bet

Yes, if it's nice sunny weather, but given you have a convenient apartment, and are going to be skiing locally, lunch in the apartment might be a good bet. It is lovely to have a good lunch on the slopes but we scarcely ever did, as a family - too expensive. By the time the kids were teenagers and skiing on their own, they had their pocket money and could decide what to spend it on. It was never anything more elaborate than a plate of chips! I always took a big bag of mini-choc bars and they stuffed a few in their pockets before heading out. It works a treat from ages 3 to 38!

Once there were just two of us a nice lunch on the slopes occasionally was a treat
- and now it's just me, it's a highlight of the day. Little Angel

In places like Courchevel the lunch places are rammed in the school holidays - and that makes lunchtime one of the very best times to be skiing, instead.

Thanks for your insight, yes I agree it can be convenient to go back to the apartment for lunch if it is close to the slopes. We always take snacks and drinks to the slopes too, as we have three children who get hungry very quickly!
snow conditions
Ryunis wrote:
I wouldn't want to go back the the apartment as it takes too much out of your day.
If you don't want to go for packed lunch then I always find the shopping precincts are great for sandwiches, and these will be less than half the price of eating at a mountain top restaurant. There is a kind of mall in 1850 called Le Forum, which will have a few of these, and a couple of spots in 1650 too.
I would have to recommend The BLACK PEARL PIZZERIA. It might sound hyperbole to say it's the best pizza I have ever had, but the TripAdvisor comments corroborate. It is in St Bon, which is a little bit of a mission, but it is an absolute treat and would be quite memorable for you. There are free buses which will take you there and back. Trust them, they are reliable!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187262-d3726973-Reviews-Black_Pearl-Courchevel_Savoie_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes.html

I guess it depends on how close the apartment is to the slopes. When we went skiing in Belle Plagne we were able to go back to the apartment for lunch easily and that was very convenient. The apartment we have booked this year in Courchevel 1650 seems to be a 10 minute walk from the slopes, so a bit time consuming to go back for lunch. Thanks for the pizza restaurant recommendation, this place looks good but seems to be a bit out of the way.
ski holidays
alan1405 wrote:
Courcheval can be cheaper if:

stay lower down the valley, Brides les Bains for example and drive up to la tania in the morning maybe.
even cheaper, bit mmm grotty ish is moutiers at the bottom, super cheap to stay. (cheaper petrol as well)

Bus goes up and down all day. not free, 20e return adults and bit less for kids....S65 goes from moutiers to la tania.
or huge car park in la tania if people drive.

dont use cafes on the slopes, take packed lunches and hot drinks.
all thats left is the expensive ski passes (360e for 6 days 22/23), no choice as walking up is not realistic. although, seen a few times people walking up ))
theres one free lift in la tania, little drag lift.
ive done several seasons here, the only way i could afford being in cour for several months.
if you want the in-resort experience using local restaurants, chalets or an apartment it'll be expensive.

Anyone reading this planning your trips for this winter, start looking at your ski pass prices, some resorts do early bird offers. can save a lot of money.

Thanks for your reply. We have already booked the apartment in 1650 and don't want to change it, but for future years Brides les Bains sounds like an option. Yes, I get the impression that Courchevel 1650 is quite expensive unfortunately, not only the lift passes but also eating out and accommodation...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy