Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How affordable is Courchevel 1650 for a family on a budget?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
franga wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@Motherofthree, no, you can't eat snack bar food in the restaurant at Bel Air. Indeed, it's wise to book in advance for the Bel Air restaurant, which is very popular.

Okay, thanks for the info. I can see that most dishes in the Bel Air restaurant cost €25+ each, plus a Coke is €6, and to me this is a bit too expensive as lunch for our family would come to at least €155. Bouc Blanc seem to offer better value, as the dishes there cost €20+ each, plus €5 for a Coke (according to the menus I could find online).

The Bouc Blanc also has a snack bar on the side with plenty of loungers to sit / lie on if the sun is out. Very reasonably priced burgers, hot dogs and frites.

Down in La Tania (you ski down the most amazing of blue runs, Folyeres) there are a couple of good options for your group - Snowfood La Pizza Gourmande is a takeway but has a small number of tables outside, good range of pizzas, burgers, nuggets and salads. Very friendly owner too.

Thanks for your reply. I get the impression that there are more affordable restaurants in La Tania than in the other Courchevel villages. If it doesn't take too long to ski/take the bus there, that is definitely an option.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Layne wrote:
This is old (2018) but lists some picnic spots:

https://skimagic.co.uk/best-courchevel-picnic-spots/

Things do change over time.

The few indoor ones can be very useful in bad weather.

Thanks for the info.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Vive La Baguette et La Plat Du Jour, one of the great things about self-catering in France.
I last went to the 3V last Feb, stayed in La Tania, which is where many of the reccys seem to concentrate on. La Tania isn't my fave place - village is nice, ski down to it after the first time is zzzzzzzzz. A rolling blue and a green. But that is countered with it having great access to Courch and Meribel.
Outside of 1850, which is pleasant to walk around and use as a link at but don't go in anywhere, I have never thought prices were any worse than other places in France.
In fact 1650 has some great spots serving good reasonable food behind the snow front, but even on the front there I didn't think was a complete mickey take. You book these places knowing that it is going to be more expensive than your local Wimpy. And I never found on the mountain to be terrible unless going in a few of the pretentious hang outs above 1850.
Only real issue I see with 1650 is it is stuck right on the opposite side to the best skiing in the region in Les Menuires, Val Thorens, St Martin.

The most sensible post on this whole thread was the person who put: "skiing in the 3V can be expensive, but needn't be" ......Enjoy x
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Extremophile wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
pam w wrote:
Just be careful if you fancy stopping on the mountain for a coffee, or lunch - DO check the prices before ordering anything, or even sitting down! Some ordinary looking places up in 1850 have extraordinary prices to make you weep - especially with kids.

That certainly rings a bell.

We were there years ago, when my Kids were still quite small and the French Franc was still in use. After picking my lot up from ski school, my Father offered to take us all for a hot chocolate. IIRC it was in that hotel (Courchneige?) that runs alongside the piste, above 1850. It was lovely, sitting out in the sunshine drinking our beverages. When the bill came, it was for something like £60. We checked prices after that.

Wow, what a shock that must have been. We will definitely check the prices before sitting down anywhere!

If you're ordering Hot chocolate, always say 'no' if they ask you if you want Chantilly.... it'll add at least €2 or €3 to what was otherwise a reasonabley priced drink... and all for a bit of squirty cream that doesn't even taste nice.

Don't be a curmudgeon, you have to have chantilly on your Hot Choc - my kids used to call me a tight back bottom when I refused it
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yellow Snow wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
pam w wrote:
Just be careful if you fancy stopping on the mountain for a coffee, or lunch - DO check the prices before ordering anything, or even sitting down! Some ordinary looking places up in 1850 have extraordinary prices to make you weep - especially with kids.

That certainly rings a bell.

We were there years ago, when my Kids were still quite small and the French Franc was still in use. After picking my lot up from ski school, my Father offered to take us all for a hot chocolate. IIRC it was in that hotel (Courchneige?) that runs alongside the piste, above 1850. It was lovely, sitting out in the sunshine drinking our beverages. When the bill came, it was for something like £60. We checked prices after that.

Wow, what a shock that must have been. We will definitely check the prices before sitting down anywhere!

If you're ordering Hot chocolate, always say 'no' if they ask you if you want Chantilly.... it'll add at least €2 or €3 to what was otherwise a reasonabley priced drink... and all for a bit of squirty cream that doesn't even taste nice.

Don't be a curmudgeon, you have to have chantilly on your Hot Choc - my kids used to call me a tight a*se when I refused it
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

my kids used to call me a tight a*se when I refused it

once my kids were not littlies any more we gave them an allocation of pocket money for the week and they decided themselves what to spend it on. It was NEVER chantilly. Taught them about opportunity cost. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yellow Snow wrote:
Vive La Baguette et La Plat Du Jour, one of the great things about self-catering in France.
I last went to the 3V last Feb, stayed in La Tania, which is where many of the reccys seem to concentrate on. La Tania isn't my fave place - village is nice, ski down to it after the first time is zzzzzzzzz. A rolling blue and a green. But that is countered with it having great access to Courch and Meribel.
Outside of 1850, which is pleasant to walk around and use as a link at but don't go in anywhere, I have never thought prices were any worse than other places in France.
In fact 1650 has some great spots serving good reasonable food behind the snow front, but even on the front there I didn't think was a complete mickey take. You book these places knowing that it is going to be more expensive than your local Wimpy. And I never found on the mountain to be terrible unless going in a few of the pretentious hang outs above 1850.
Only real issue I see with 1650 is it is stuck right on the opposite side to the best skiing in the region in Les Menuires, Val Thorens, St Martin.

The most sensible post on this whole thread was the person who put: "skiing in the 3V can be expensive, but needn't be" ......Enjoy x

Oui, vive la baguette et le plat du jour indeed! Thanks for the info. I didn't know the best skiing in the 3V is in Les Menuires, Val Thorens and St Martin, I thought it was kind of equally good all over the 3V. Yes, I'm aware 1650 is at the far end of the 3V but we will probably only get the Courchevel lift pass, as most of us are beginners/intermediates. It's also cheaper than the full 3V lift pass.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

my kids used to call me a tight a*se when I refused it

once my kids were not littlies any more we gave them an allocation of pocket money for the week and they decided themselves what to spend it on. It was NEVER chantilly. Taught them about opportunity cost. Evil or Very Mad

Sounds wise. I think chantilly sounds very yummy and it only seems to be a tiny bit more expensive than a hot chocolate without.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Motherofthree wrote:
I didn't know the best skiing in the 3V is in Les Menuires, Val Thorens and St Martin, I thought it was kind of equally good all over the 3V. Yes, I'm aware 1650 is at the far end of the 3V but we will probably only get the Courchevel lift pass, as most of us are beginners/intermediates. It's also cheaper than the full 3V lift pass.

There is good skiing throughout the 3V don't sweat it.

Courchevel would be considered a good size resort in it's own right and has a big variety of pistes for you.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Motherofthree wrote:
I didn't know the best skiing in the 3V is in Les Menuires, Val Thorens and St Martin
For self-confessed slow blue and green run skiers, it isn't. The best areas for nervous intermediates are C1850, C1650 and Meribel Altiport. But the altiport is challenging to get to from Courchevel for an inexperienced intermediate so I wouldn't bother. There's more than enough suitable skiing for what you want on just the Courchevel pass.

Motherofthree wrote:
I thought it was kind of equally good all over the 3V.
It is. Every area has its pros and cons but should you be unlucky enough to get poor weather/low snow (unlikely in February but anything's possible), you are much better off in Courchevel than the other end of the 3Vs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Motherofthree wrote:
Yellow Snow wrote:

Oui, vive la baguette et le plat du jour indeed! Thanks for the info. I didn't know the best skiing in the 3V is in Les Menuires, Val Thorens and St Martin, I thought it was kind of equally good all over the 3V. Yes, I'm aware 1650 is at the far end of the 3V but we will probably only get the Courchevel lift pass, as most of us are beginners/intermediates. It's also cheaper than the full 3V lift pass.

I completely disagree with the comments on skiing here. The blue down to LaTania is more zooom than zzzz. You'll have noticed plenty of people rave about 'Folyeres' on this very thread! Would also disagree about ValT etc having the best skiing, I think Courchevel is better. You definitely don't need to worry about Courchevel's ski offering
At least neither of us think Meribel is better though!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Raceplate wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
I didn't know the best skiing in the 3V is in Les Menuires, Val Thorens and St Martin
For self-confessed slow blue and green run skiers, it isn't. The best areas for nervous intermediates are C1850, C1650 and Meribel Altiport. But the altiport is challenging to get to from Courchevel for an inexperienced intermediate so I wouldn't bother. There's more than enough suitable skiing for what you want on just the Courchevel pass.

Motherofthree wrote:
I thought it was kind of equally good all over the 3V.
It is. Every area has its pros and cons but should you be unlucky enough to get poor weather/low snow (unlikely in February but anything's possible), you are much better off in Courchevel than the other end of the 3Vs.

You must remember that skiing is like marmite - someone's love is someone else's loathe.
I don't agree about the blue into La Tania - it's a bit mundane.
But it is all about personal preference.
I overlooked that you are early intermediate, so sorry for that. You will have a great time in Courch and above 1650 alone has some fabulous skiing and that valley is plenty big enough - as you progress then the 3Vs scope is endless and you can always upgrade your passes for a day if you want to venture outside the Courch valley.
It is not my fave bit of the 3Vs but what i failed to mention is that the 3Vs genuinely is all fantastic - except maybe Mottaret end of Meribel (but there will be people that love that).
Lap it up - you will be skiing in one of the best areas in the world.
Apologies if I seemed at all cynical.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When we stayed in Courchevel 1650, years ago, we stayed in the valley because we had ski lessons in the morning. But the experienced skiers in our chalet went all over the 3 valleys and consistently reported that the snow quality in 1650 was the best in the area. It was a beautifully sunny week, but it hadn't snowed for ages and there were a lot of stones around in some areas, and some bare patches (this was early January - we always went the cheapest week).

You will be absolutely fine in 1650, and with just the Courchevel pass.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
When we stayed in Courchevel 1650, years ago, we stayed in the valley because we had ski lessons in the morning. But the experienced skiers in our chalet went all over the 3 valleys and consistently reported that the snow quality in 1650 was the best in the area. It was a beautifully sunny week, but it hadn't snowed for ages and there were a lot of stones around in some areas, and some bare patches (this was early January - we always went the cheapest week).

You will be absolutely fine in 1650, and with just the Courchevel pass.

Is there a parrot on the forum? Laughing Laughing

It is fine advice though, the snow does keep well there. Might be the lack of full day sun - and Courchevel gets groomed really well to keep the rich people happy - the pistes def get really good treatment
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy