Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Mills classes to get ski fit?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I need someone to shout at me to do exercise rolling eyes so find the Les Mills group fitness classes the only way to get fit. Laughing

I was just wondering in what priority order you would do their classes? I have been doing Body Balance once a week, and just started doing Body Step. Would you recommend adding in Body Pump as well and/or Body Attack? Just wondering what might be sustainable between now and February 2023! What would be an ideal weekly mix of classes?

TIA!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What sort of skier are you, @sambatamba? Many people with dismal levels of fitness and strength can enjoy a relaxed ski holiday cruising round between pit stops. I know that from personal experience. For most of us, anything which improves balance, cardio-vascular fitness and leg and core strength would be a great deal better than what we're actually DOING right now. What's sustainable for you probably depends on what you most enjoy. Or hate the least.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply! Hmmm, what sort of skier am I? Fairly leisurely I guess - key focus for me is to enjoy myself. Not interested in racing of any kind.

So, balance = Body Balance, cardio-vascular = Body Step/Body Attack, leg strength = Body Pump and core strength = all of these!

Fair point about sustainability about what I enjoy - I genuinely like all these classes, and luckily there is a great instructor who I like, so I think I might add in Body Pump, and as I get fitter, add in Body Attack. Thank you again for the input Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sambatamba, i did some of the Les Mills classes a few years back and thought they were excellent for combining cardio with functional strength training. Suspect body pump will be best for skiing due to all the squats and lunges included. The chest and shoulder exercises are also great for poling / skating along long flats.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My suggestion would be 2-3 sessions a week. But it might be worth trying to have one session (or separately) be something on a weekend over a longer period (2-3+ hours). (Walk/hike or cycle are obvious options).

Skiing is a weird mix of high intensity (flying down a slope putting maximum effort into every turn) and low intensity (start exercise at 9 am, finish at 4 pm, yes with plenty of rests, but still several hours)

The other thing is ask the instructor if you get along with them. I expect either body pump or body attack could be useful, partly depending on what they are (which will also depend on the instructor - while I don't do Les Mills, the classes I do can vary drastically despite supposidly being the same area.) and what your current fitness/build is...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @qwerty360, and @BobinCH for your input.

Yes, now I remember that Body Pump is all about those squats....but also good idea about the longer walk/hike suggestions. I just went last weekend to the Brecon Beacons and did just that, but I guess I don't really think about it. But good idea to maybe build in those longer sessions at the weekend as well, and I'll be a bit more deliberate about that. Thank you!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do Body Attack regularly and love it - lots of power/jump lunges for strength, and lots of lateral leg work which I think is really good for the types of stresses skiing puts on legs. I think Body Aattck is a great combination of cardio vascular and strength, but I do mix it up with regular gym sessions.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @rdk, Body Attack does have those lateral side movements doesn't it? Great to hear that you love Body Attack - it's definitely a lot more intense that Body Step, so will build up to it!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy