Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying secondhand skis

Poster: A snowHead
I normally hire skis but as I’m taking the car this winter I’m thinking of getting a secondhand pair to take with me so I can perhaps avoid high rental costs. Are there any drawbacks or things I should look out for? I’m particularly thinking of avoiding anything that might kill or injure me!!
Some of the ones I’ve seen for sale a quite cheap, I guess they are probably 10 or 15 years old but perhaps would be ok for the sort of intermediate on piste use I’d give them. More up to date ones seem hard to find secondhand.
My other options are to buy new - problem with that is that this may be the only time I drive and I’d rather hire if I go back to flying so I’d rather avoid spending £400+ on something that will sit in the garage for 51 weeks of the year.
The other way would be to buy secondhand in resort in Austria - probably get something decent (and hopefully good advice) I guess but it could take a while to sort out when I would rather be skiing.

Basically I like the idea of some old £50 skis to take with me in the car but am a bit worried I might be taking the penny pinching a bit far!

Thoughts?!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
quick thoughts- I would set my budget at the ski hire price plus 50% or so then get decent second hand ski and can sell on without loss if you don't like them.
As to what to buy that as ever depends on a huge number of factors -
Skiing level, what kind of skiing you enjoy, height, weight, physicality....
You may benefit from going on the Oktobertest bash where you can try a variety of skis and there is often deals on the ex demo models.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Make sure that the bindings are still indemnified.

Personally, I wouldn't look at anything more than 2 or 3 years old.....and if ex rental skis, probably no more than 1 year old.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nothing wrong with buying second hand, but I wouldn’t go as old as that. Price up a new pair of the type of ski you want, including bindings if they come without, so you have a starting point. Maybe do this in Euros for somewhere like Sport Conrad as well, so you know what the local price is.

Then have a look on willhaben.at (most popular Austrian buy/sell site) over the next couple of months. You want to look in
Marktplatz > Sport > Wintersport > Schifahren and then Schi for skis, the other categories for poles, bindings etc. Narrow down the region by state to wherever you are going. There will likely be a lot more available than in the UK.

Be discerning – there’s a lot of crap on there, and plenty of people trying to flog ancient skis for €€€. Your problem is most likely to be the small window you are travelling. Good stuff goes quickly, and will probably cost more than you’d like, but haggling is expected.

A better option might be to buy ex-demo after the SnowHeads ski test in October, as there are often some real bargains on barely used skis. Have a word with @spyderjon for what might be available.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Old Fartbag wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't look at anything more than 2 or 3 years old.....and if rental skis, probably no more than 1 year old.

I've had several pairs over the years much older than that (mainly to use for low-level teaching) with no problems. They've mostly been bought in resort shops as ex-rental and tended to cost a little more than the 50 quid, although I did once get a pair privately for less than that. Never had a problem. Bindings can easily be tested by any shop (and here in CH there's the opportunity to get them tested for free via SUVA (the main accident insurer and they get a sticker to prove the test).

The main risk with ex rentals is the amount of life left in them, but for that sort of money it's not really an issue.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't look at anything more than 2 or 3 years old.....and if rental skis, probably no more than 1 year old.

I've had several pairs over the years much older than that (mainly to use for low-level teaching) with no problems. They've mostly been bought in resort shops as ex-rental and tended to cost a little more than the 50 quid, although I did once get a pair privately for less than that. Never had a problem. Bindings can easily be tested by any shop (and here in CH there's the opportunity to get them tested for free via SUVA (the main accident insurer and they get a sticker to prove the test).

The main risk with ex rentals is the amount of life left in them, but for that sort of money it's not really an issue.

Would it be fair to say that a) You had decent skis for your normal skiing and b) You knew the rental shop staff well enough to be steered into something half decent?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@japes1275, A thought - not sure what you are looking for but I have a pair of fairly well used but not abused White Dot Rangers, lots of life in them with some surface scratching, edged and waxed since last skied, drilled 2x for Marker Dukes (old config) and also Dynafit bindings 186cm, plenty of pop left in them, was only looking at them last weekend. Probably 6-7 years old now but top end skis, not used for last 3 years, I tend to take in our roof box as a back up and never get them out..... happy to let them go for £150 ovno, cost 4x that, red and white in colour. You'd need to put bindings on them obviously but Jon at Piste Office would likely be able to recommend a binding etc, he's in Nottingham - I could drop them into Jon's for you. PM me if interested.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Any kosher private sale is likely to be better than ex-rental which is guaranteed to be totally used - if it had any decent life left they would not be selling it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great info as usual. Thanks @Scarlet, very helpful. I think I’d be better with some a few years old rather than the really old ones I’ve seen. Though if I found some half decent ones for say £50 it would be something to maybe use while I shopped round a bit in Austria.

Didn’t even realise about bindings indemnification, another thing to consider and look into.

The Snowheads ski test sounds like a good idea, I might look into that.

Thanks @Markymark29 but unfortunately at 174cm I’d be looking for something a bit shorter! I usually get given 165’s at hire shops. The usual look up and down, plonk some skis in front of me, a grunt and then they’re on the table getting adjusted for my boots!

One thing I was wondering is whether the Snowzone type places ever sell off old skis?

Good point about privately owned v ex rental, most 10 year old (UK) privately owned ones are going to have less use than a 2 year old ex rental pair.

All food for thought, thanks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, "guaranteed to be totally used" some shops (e.g. concept) will commission sell skis for chums, or unusually refresh a fleet "before its time" but certainly round us most of the time it's old, well used stock at at least 2ce its value.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Usually are some decent offers on here coming in now to November as people clear out old skis for bright and shiny. Or give @spyderjon a call and he'll no doubt keep an eye out for any customers wanting to trade something suitable.

Forget dome ex rental skis a) they are soft nonsense which are fine for indoor use and b) they get flogged to death.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@japes1275, I've got these in 165 for sale

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5005973&highlight=atomic#5005973
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would certainly feel that buying from somebody on here is the better option. The skis will likely have been looked after and accurately described.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree with Fartbag about ex-rentals and better to buy legit private.

Also that buying from a Snowhead works well.

@japes1275, presumably this is just for standard piste skiing and nothing heroic?

If you can find something ready serviced it will save you a few bob. TBH anything not I probably wouldn't buy unless there was a good reason.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've serviced a lot of skis people have bought as a "bargin" online and a lot of those have been absolute junk / unserviceable / dangerous.
Buy as new as you can, ex demo rather than rentals (rental skis are not the same as retail skis!) and if possible try before you buy one on the Ockobertest or similar.
You might also pick up a bargin at the ski show if you can get there, day 1 for choice or last 5 minutes to get a deal on something that someone doesn't want to be bothered packing up and taking away - they were hoping to sell it, make them an offer.
If you go back to flying at least you'll have a pair that are yours, is it all that much trouble dragging a ski bag instead of a suitcase to check in? IMHO the benefits of having your own balance the cost of owning/transporting.
snow conditions
I've had a couple of pairs of used ski's over the years, and both have been really good. In fact I do still use the 2nd hand Atomic Blackeyes I got from ebay about 5 years ago, they came from Holland. As with anything look carefully at them or photos to establish their condition before buying. I'll be putting a pair of Fischer motive 86, length 168 upfor sale later this week, only skied on for two one week trips. If anyone is interested let me know.
ski holidays
japes1275 wrote:

One thing I was wondering is whether the Snowzone type places ever sell off old skis?

If they did you definitely wouldn't want to be buying them, they get an awful lot of use and are only really suitable for beginners in a fridge.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:

Also that buying from a Snowhead works well.

Just make sure you pay for them - I was stung shipping a pair to a guy who never paid for them and then disappeared…

His SH tag then said « down a crevasse » - perhaps it was from the bad karma!
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
I was stung shipping a pair to a guy who never paid for them and then disappeared…

You shipped them before they paid?? Rule #1 – money first.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
I was stung shipping a pair to a guy who never paid for them and then disappeared…

You shipped them before they paid?? Rule #1 – money first.

Yep. Was a regular poster so hoped for better. Lesson learned
latest report
I've bought a couple pairs of ex rental skis over the years and TBH never had a problem (well they maybe overpriced). To me this is a summer or very end of season activity - browsing the hire shops and seeing what's available. The end of season is slightly better because you get a chance to test them before you buy them. Since I'm usually looking at high end ski they often have had little use. I bought my son some powder skis last summer that looked like they had only been used a dozen or so times. My tips for buying second hand skis are:

Make sure they are exactly what you want ie the correct type of ski, the correct length (very important. I tested some a few year ago and they were simply too long for me) and you really need them.

Check there is plenty of edge left. Hire skis go through the machines after every rental and edges get worn down. This is very important if looking for second had race skis as well. Check the edges are intact all the way and expect huge discount if there is any edge repair.

Try and determine how much base has been ground away. I'm aways suspicious of very smooth bases. Look for any expensive reparis to the base.

Bend the skis over their whole length and check for any delamination or cracks. This is the real yes or no test. If there is any delamination then don't touch them. Though hire shops are very unlikely to be selling skis in the this condition, a private seller may not have the same scruples.

Look at the bindings. Though there is not much you can check here. Do the bindings match the skis? Can you get the DIN setting to your requirement.
snow report
Mmm, I might have to think about this a bit more! To be honest although I’ve been skiing for 27 years I know absolutely nothing about it equipment or technique wise - I’ve not even had a lesson - ever! Strange really because most of my other hobbies I research almost obsessively.

ster, I’ve checked out your Atomics, they might be ok for me, I’ll do a bit of research on them. I’m not sure about rail type bindings, I don’t even know the advantages or disadvantages of the different types. Unfortunately collection wouldn’t be possible though.

Bob, I might contact you about your Fischers as well

Thanks JohnE, more good stuff there.

In the meantime I think I should do a bit more research into what is actually right for me. I’m 99% on piste, can ski fairly fast (probably too fast for my ability!), easily ski all reds, can make it down most blacks but with not much finesse, don’t do moguls but can carve fairly well on the less steep pistes. Guess that puts me in the higher end of intermediate?

Thanks all
ski holidays
Rail bindings just means they can be instantly adjusted to fit a large range of boot sizes as opposed to fixed bindings that have very limited range of boot sizes. If the former you have no worries, on the latter you have to make sure the seller/buyer fairly closely match up boot size wise.

As you are 99% piste and just a punter skier then you will have a big market of second skis to go for. No need to overthink it.
latest report
japes1275 wrote:
ster, I’ve checked out your Atomics, they might be ok for me, I’ll do a bit of research on them. I’m not sure about rail type bindings, I don’t even know the advantages or disadvantages of the different types. Unfortunately collection wouldn’t be possible though.

As @Layne says, rail (aka track) bindings fit a large range of boot sizes. Theres a fuller explaination of pros and cons here - https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/buying-guides/the-absolute-guide-to-buying-ski-bindings-rail-systems-vs-drill-mount

I prefer a pick up as shipping is a bit more involved, but I could manage it if you were interested. Also likely I'll be up at the snow show at the NEC (not sure which day yet, most likely Sunday, get yourself a free ticket if you dont have one already) if you intended heading to that, I could bring them up to that if the days worked.
ski holidays
japes1275 wrote:
Basically I like the idea of some old £50 skis to take with me in the car but am a bit worried I might be taking the penny pinching a bit far!

Thoughts?!

My thought? You are taking the penny pinching a bit far. The £50 is probably enough to pay for the adjustment of the binding to fit your new-to-you ski. Unless you stick to rail only type of bindings and learn to adjust DIN settings yourself.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
...Unless you stick to rail only type of bindings and learn to adjust DIN settings yourself.

I firmly believe that every skier should know how to do that, it's not exactly rocket science. I have actually known some bindings, notably Fritschi touring ones, to gradually work their way loose. First time it happened to me the ski just kept pre-releasing under normal skiing conditions, and I couldn't work out why, until I checked the DIN setting, the front one of which had managed to get down to about 6, from my normal 9 or so.

Ever since then I make a point of checking periodically, and I think everyone should do so, whether they're your own skis or rentals. Yes, rental shops have been know to get it wrong too, either by oversight or sometimes making incorrect assumptions about the skier's ability (usually, TBF, based on someone overstating it). Know what you need and make sure they're correctly set for you.
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc, I have been asked to check a chum’s rental bindings after a first run unscheduled dismount.

You could eyeball the discrepancy Shocked
latest report
japes1275 wrote:

Ellis Brigham shop in Tamworth Snowdome definitely does this and I think they've still got some reduced skis having been in there today.

I'm a boarder though so didn't look too closely as I was heading up the stairs to look at some of their reduced clothing.

I'm pretty sure that ex-demo boards have been added to the generic website in the past, so hopefully that might be the case for the skis too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Take a look at https://usedski.co.uk, not used them myself but heard good things from others.
snow report
I just looked on eBay and it seems that the market has opened up for 2nd hand skis .. loads there to choose from.
As Layne says always go for a pair with of rental binding on a rail, this makes the skis marketable again.

I picked up a pair of brand new very good skis on eBay for £100 a few years ago (It was Jube and I was the only bidder) .. the ones I was looking for .. but a bit longer than I would have liked.

A snowhead mate .. the late JonnyStop picked up a bargain in Decathalon in January this year... Brand new 166cm twin tips for £66 including the bindings.

But don't forget, the main thing is the Boots

If you are up in Linconshire I'd recommed visiting the Ski Exchange near Cambridge for boots ... But of course your not too far from the Piste Office either.
Have fun.
snow conditions
As an alternative to going super cheap, check out the end of season sales. I’ve bought my last 2 snowboards brand new in the sales, ridden for a week or two and sold in as new condition for pretty much what I paid for them.
snow report
I doubt it would be £50 though.

The hope of “beating” a 1-week hire is not very realistic. At least not when we’re talking about skis of reasonably decent quality.

But I’m with you on end of season sale. I don’t think I’ve ever pay full listed price for any of my skis.
snow conditions
@japes1275,
BTW I presume you have your own boots if you have skied for 27 years, but guessing you dont have poles if you dont have your own skis, so that is another thing to budget for.
ski holidays
To be honest I’m almost overwhelmed with all the help and information! Really good stuff from everyone. Regarding adjustment of bindings I think I’ll be ok, I did once own my own skis (some massive 190’s that Snow and Rock sold me just before everything went short and wide!) with Marker bindings so I kind of know the basics. And yes I’ve got my own decent, up to date boots. I forgot about poles though, I notice most skis for sale don’t seem to include them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy