Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas in St Gervais

Poster: A snowHead
Good evening,

We had some Easyjet flights to move last year so I've booked flights to Geneva for December 22nd-28th.

We've been to St Gervais before and really like the village feel.

Has anyone been there over Xmas.
Am i right in thinking, the French celebrate Xmas Eve more than than Xmas Day.
Should we book a restaurant for the night before? If so, which restaurant is best?
Do they have any kind of festival in the Town?
Lastly, what would the snow conditions likely to be like?
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mjh1972, although we have a small apartment there we haven't been in St Gervais over Christmas. However happy to give advice about the restaurants we know there - what sort of thing were you thinking of? (Though they may have special menus that night).

Snow-wise, it will be like anywhere else in the western Alps. It is a gamble when the first decent dump arrives, there is probably a 60% or so chance there will be decent natural snow before Christmas week on the lower slopes. But nights should pretty reliably fall below zero so unless they decide to cut back due to energy saving there is likely to be artificial snow.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only been over Christmas twice as we usually have Christmas in U.K. then go out Boxing Day.
You are correct in the big night is the 24th & I would highly recommend booking, in fact I’d book every night you want to eat out, since Covid, the village seems busier.
If you post what style of restaurant you want I’ll come back with recommendations.
With Bettix only being at 1400m you aren’t snow sure at Christmas, if you have a car then Les Contimens on same pass definitely ups your chances.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@j b, I know we’ve meet up for a beer a couple of times but we really should meet up for a slide.

I’m currently stuck in Geneva waiting for a delayed flight Eh oh!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the quick response

We've eaten in Le Galeta before and love it.
Budget wise, I could only afford to eat there once so would it be best to book Xmas Eve? Do you think they will do a set menu?
We had pizza in Pizzeria L'éterle and that was really nice, lovely restaurant.
We've got an 18 & 15 year old boys so something that is lively would be great
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mjh1972, your going to struggle on the lively part but in saying that there has been a few rejuvenation of stale places.
The last bar (old OZ bar) round by gondola has been good over the summer & the food was good pub food.
The 3 mousquetons (old La grange) has certainly up’d its game, more plates of cheese & meet than individual meals but definitely popular with the younger crowd.
Put Bar as usual for burgers.
You’ve already named my two favourites
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mjh1972, with hungry teenagers and a budget limit you have probably found the most obvious places. Le Galeta for traditional alpine food and brilliant grills plus a great ambience, L'Eterle for good pizzas.

But the Pur Bar on the market square does decent pizzas as well as burgers, has a more youthful vibe and even occasional live music.

The new people in Les 3 Mousquetons have managed to attract a younger profile than La Grange did, but basically it is mainly a pub with snacks.

We really like BistrotSerac which does three courses for 29 euros, but for teenagers might seem a little fancy and not sufficiently calorific. You won't be in the market for the foodie restaurants like the main Serac (Michelin star) or Ronde Carotte or Source (both with Michelin rosettes).

@Jonny996, yes we should coordinate diaries. Good to hear you have ust been out, we haven't been since the beginning of July due to my need for some medical treatment over the summer. While I am over that now we have commitments here for a couple of weeks (including hosting a party to celebrate each of us having round number birthdays) then we plan to drive out in October. The idea is that we will do some walks when the weather is favourable, and some decorating of the flat when it is wet. We have invested in a season lift pass, and my wife has been booking Easyjet whenever it looked like a good offer outside French half term. The only one I remember is the last week of the season, the only time our daughter can make at the end of her university term.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mjh1972, I like St Gervais v much, though never been there at Christmas. If you can only afford one slap up meal out (as has always been the case for us) then best make it a night other than Christmas Eve, when prices will be extra high.

Have you booked accommodation? For those dates it might be a challenge - if you've not booked, best get on with it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've booked the Hotel Val D'Este, the wife wanted to stay in a hotel, hoping there will be christmas decorations up.

We can book a table at La Galeta on Xmas Day, so looking for something Christmas Eve. Will try the Pur Bar
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We stayed in the Val d'Este before we bought our flat, when we needed to visit for the legalities. It was a pleasant low-key hotel, just right for us, and right in the middle of town.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

hoping there will be christmas decorations up.

The whole resort will be full of Christmas decorations. Till Easter. wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We spent New Year there in 2019/20, and were very disappointed how little was going on in town for NYE. We ate in our chalet, came out for midnight, but nothing was going on, and we only found one bar open!
Maybe it's a bit busier at Christmas, which they do basically celebrate on Christmas Eve rather than Christmas Day
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@karin, that’s rather surprising. Which bit of St G were you in?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@karin, it true that your not going to find clubs or bars open until 3/4. But I’m very surprised to hear that there was nothing on.
We overlook down onto town square & watch the fireworks from our balcony.
Certainly hear people celebrating
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We could rely on a few fireworks at midnight even in our tiny hamlet. But NYE is not the booze-fest it has come to be for so many people in the UK. An evening for a good, long (and if in a restaurant very expensive.....) meal with family and friends.
snow conditions
@Jonny996, perhaps St G les Bains?
snow conditions
@under a new name, @Jonny996, we were just past the ice rink going out of town. There may have been a bit more going on, but it was definitely uinderwhelming. We went back to the chalet, one of the youngsters got into their Uni's vpn on a laptop so it thought we were in the UK, linked it to the TV, and we got Iplayer up and greeted the New Year at midnight UK time with Jools Holland!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy