Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ideas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
am looking for a smallish / beginner ski resort probably in france poss austria for feb half term..... two young kids so no massive ski area needed.... decent nursery set up with plenty of greens and blues...... will be driving from either calais or rotterdam (hence Austria idea)

cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could look at Valmorel: https://www.skiclub.co.uk/france/resorts/valmorel

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/jan/24/valmorel-family-ski-resort-alps-france

I have never been but have heard it's very suitable for your purposes. Somebody here is bound to have been and thus be able to give personal insight.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag, Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quite a few years since we went to Valmorel, but it did seem an ideal place in terms of blue and green runs. If your children are at a stage of learning when their enthusiasm will be boosted by doing quite long "trips" with their parents it is suitable for that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Valmorel worked for us 20 odd years ago with 2 young kids. Not too long a drive either compared to places further up the valley. I'm sure lifts etc have improved since then.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Niederau. We popped in there for a morning a few years ago when we were thinking of taking a young skier on their first trip. It seemed pretty perfect.

Westendorf, Ellmau etc also looked to have great setups for kids.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Look at Sunweb and Snowtrex, they use a lot of the smaller French and Austrian resorts, prices include lift pass amd if you dont mind driving a bit longer they feature some resorts in the southern areas of france. we liked Superdevouloy and Val Cenis
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ajc2260626, La Norma or Val Frejus in valley Maurienne both offer a decent mix at relatively good cost to meet your requirements.
Believe there's sunweb etc deals there too with inclusive lift pass (has been historically) also Val Cenis Haute could be good option.

Outlying choice, Praz De Lys village has really good mix of items matching your request. Ideal for beginners/progression without high large area pass costs. Easily achieved blue piste right from top too which I found manageable with very early experience child. Very friendly relaxed atmosphere, costs certainly reasonable compared to headline larger ski domain too and very easy to use slopes grouped around village. Good food/cost helps balance things for family too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
a more informative thread title might help you get more replies, @ajc2260626. Are you absolutely resolved on half term - if the Christmas or Easter holidays are a possible alternative (cheaper, less busy, on both roads and pistes, but questions about snow quality) then the possibilities are rather different. And what kind of accommodation (hotel, rent an apartment) do you prefer? Budget? Austria generally has greater choice of suitable hotels, with some specifically set up for kids, whereas France generally has a greater range of accommodation to rent, from cheap but cramped apartments to real luxury pads and everything in between. France is perhaps easier to find genuine ski in/out. Where have you been before? How old are the kids? Will you be looking after them yourselves, outside ski school lessons, or do you want more "wrap around" child care?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, hey pam...i like to keep it short and open wink

so i will be going 2nd week of dec (val d'isere) as decent value that time of year and decent enough white stuff, i will go at easter probably tignes again for snow issues

so the floating week is feb..... kids 6&9 both can ski greens and blues but dont want a massive area as they cant do the miles.... usually go self catering but would do a hotel, i have tended to ski the same places so dont know much about family type skis esp the smaller ones as ive only skied the bigger resorts...... i know more about france than austria, i have a place in orelle but i dont really fancy it but i can use it as a back up if needed

my brother uses sun web a lot

i fancied les saises as easy drive but could be mobbed?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156939

Useful planning info. If Half Term is 11-18 Feb, go to Austria as it will be quieter than France. If it is 18-25 Feb, postpone until Easter!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

i fancied les saises as easy drive but could be mobbed?

I don't think Les Saisies (which would suit your kids well and has huge choice of self-catering options) it will be any more mobbed than other French resorts. Personally, I'd go to Italy if I couldn't avoid skiing at half term. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La Rosiere?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We started off with our kids at Chinaillon (just up from Le Grand Bornand).

Rented direct from a French family - about 1400 Euros (Feb half term) got us a large 2 bed appt on the ground floor of a chalet (with a snowy garden which kids loved to play in each evening). 50 metres from piste.

Don't expect après ski but some lovely traditional restaurants. Easy to drop kids at ski school, bomb about and get back in time for pick up, lunch at home then family afternoon. 5 years later and kids still talk about wanting to go back.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hadn't really considered italy, but theres no difference in the drive to tignes that we make, courmayeur i dont think is united to beginners / kids and thats the only place that ive being round there, where else would people recommend?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy