Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Couple of days lessons

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking about just taking a couple of days in january to take maybe 2x 4 hour blocks of private lessons. I'm not too fussed on country or resort but short train ride from an airport and decent instructors. I only really want to spend 2 nights away and I know Scotland is probably the most practical but I'd like a little alpine flavour. Any suggestions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Andy Jerram at BASS Morzine, short transfer, top instructor
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I also thought of BASS Megeve, but the OP wants a train transfer, which suggests Switzerland.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe worth looking at Steve Angus's Facebook group
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5019683&highlight=#5019683
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Derek Tait Bass Saint Gervais or Chamonix
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was going to say St Gervais as well.
But @ollski2.0, have you skied before? or what level are you?
Perhaps Verbier, but I have no idea about how good the ski schools are.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DrLawn, Verbier ski schools seem ok, if you can countenance the Swiss accented French. [/irony] wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DrLawn wrote:
I was going to say St Gervais as well.
But @ollski2.0, have you skied before? or what level are you?
Perhaps Verbier, but I have no idea about how good the ski schools are.

Done about 15 weeks total on the snow but I want to go up a level, I still skid steeper reds and bottled harakiri this year totally!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mark Gear, All Mountain Performance in Chamonix is vgood
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, the swiss 70,80,90 is worth all the hassle of living here alone Eh oh!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Klamm Franzer wrote:

Thanks - yes a new group im trying to promote so questions and dilemmas like this can result in a direct connection with instructors and schools. Early days for the group. But the more that keep promoting it and the more members the more powerful it will become (and useful for all involved of course!)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Klamm Franzer wrote:

Thanks - yes a new group im trying to promote so questions and dilemmas like this can result in a direct connection with instructors and schools. Early days for the group. But the more that keep promoting it and the more members the more powerful it will become (and useful for all involved of course!)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zillertal from Innsbruck? Got to throw a short bus ride from airport to rail station but then its about an hour an a half train ride to the valley. Also SaraJ who posts on her teaches there and is good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@under a new name, the swiss 70,80,90 is worth all the hassle of living here alone Eh oh!

Very true, dat. I still struggle with numbers. Not as bad as India or Belgium however Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flight to Turin are fairly reasonable - train to Sauze then taxi up the hill, its pretty quick.....just an idea..
snow report
ster wrote:
Zillertal from Innsbruck? Got to throw a short bus ride from airport to rail station but then its about an hour an a half train ride to the valley. Also SaraJ who posts on her teaches there and is good.

God that little red train up to mayrhofen is a slog though
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Can still throw me a bit, living on the border as we do. I always need to work out which country we're in before speaking. Of course I shouldn't bother trying to get it 'right', nobody cares and either way will be understood, but it bothers me.

And after all this time I still struggle with huitante, which just sounds wrong. My head insists that it it should be octante, consistent with Italian and other Romance languages.
snow conditions
ollski2.0 wrote:
ster wrote:

Ok, you don’t have to go there then. Only a suggestion as it seemed to meet your requirements. Perhaps say where you don’t want to go.
ski holidays
ster wrote:
ollski2.0 wrote:
ster wrote:

Ok, you don’t have to go there then. Only a suggestion as it seemed to meet your requirements. Perhaps say where you don’t want to go.

Ah no it's a good shout, I was just wondering if there was a little resort very close to an airport like a short taxi hop or single train zillertal is a change at jenbach isn't it?. Time is probably biggest hurdle as I'm thinking early flight out and afternoon lessons and then the next morning with a late flight back.
ski holidays
@ollski2.0, How about the resorts around Innsbruck itself?

Can you get to Turin? Doesn't take all that long to get to a Milky Way resort from the city.
snow conditions
ollski2.0 wrote:
ster wrote:
ollski2.0 wrote:
ster wrote:

Ah no it's a good shout, I was just wondering if there was a little resort very close to an airport like a short taxi hop or single train zillertal is a change at jenbach isn't it?. Time is probably biggest hurdle as I'm thinking early flight out and afternoon lessons and then the next morning with a late flight back.

Yes, its a change at Jenbach. Or Nordkette is right in Innsbruck, accessed by a funicular from town., takes abiout 20 mins up once at the base.

https://nordkette.com/en/skiing-snowboarding.html
snow report
Quote:

I still skid steeper reds

But depending on the degree, is that a problem? Very few people can make carved turns on steep red slopes (though perhaps a lot kid themselves).
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

But depending on the degree, is that a problem? Very few people can make carved turns on steep red slopes (though perhaps a lot kid themselves).

It’s a sign of a problem.

It’s not always necessary to carve everything. But if one can’t when one wishes, there’s a underlying issue that should be addressed.

The OP is recognizing that and making plans to address it.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

To me I think if if skidding my turns then I'm not in control so I personally would really like to check and improve technique. I'm also getting a bit older so falling is more unpleasant these days
ski holidays
ollski2.0 wrote:
ster wrote:

When are you looking to go? & where are you looking to fly from? I guess as you do not want long travel, then you are looking to fly from Bristol? If you are not prepared to travel 90 mins to resort, then I doubt you are prepared to travel 90mins to London or Birmingham
I think biggest issue could be finding flights for a short trip from Bristol. Probably limited to Innsbruck & Geneva offerings.
snow report
Yes Bristol to Innsbruck seems the best option. Maybe hire a car from Innsbruck as prices seem more reasonable than salzburg
latest report
Train to St Anton?
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:

I've had instruction from Derek and Shona Tate and from Dee O'Neill at BASS and it has all been excellent. Derek in particular helped my skiing go up a level last winter especially dealing with steeps in crappy snow conditions.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
schauspiele wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

I've had instruction from Derek and Shona Tate and from Dee O'Neill at BASS and it has all been excellent. Derek in particular helped my skiing go up a level last winter especially dealing with steeps in crappy snow conditions.

Now I am on my Laptop & not a phone in a rush, yes that is more like what I meant to type, Derek gave small hints & tips that really boosted my confidence in the crud that let me ski through & over it compared to trying to shove it, this made my legs last a lot longer.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy