Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time skier in Saalbach Hinterglemm

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a first time skier (34yrs), husband's (39yrs) been a few times and fairly confident. We're going to Saalbach 18-22 December. I'll be going for ski lessons, husband will probably hit the slopes straight.

Questions:
1. Where to stay - we're undecided between Saalbach and Hinterglemm. Our top priorities are close proximity to ski lifts and options for apres ski. We do enjoy good food and some drinks. We've actually booked to stay at Alpin Juwel in Hinterglemm, purely based on the looks of the hotel itself but haven't done real research into whether its location works best for us. We can cancel for free so would be keen to hear we'll be better off in Saalbach or other Hinterglemm hotels.

2a. Ski school/ski rental - is it more important to stay close to a ski school or ski lift?

2b. Do we get to pick up rental equipment the day before lessons start or only on the morning itself?

3. Ski lessons - as an absolute first timer, would two days of 4hour lessons be sufficient for me at least be comfortable on skis? I know everyone's abilities varies but I don't know what to expect Embarassed . We only have 3 days of skiing, so I'm hoping to get a third day of fun ski time with my husband instead of being at school.

Any other tips for first timer more than welcome! Thank you!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads, @nickywicky snowHead Can't advise on that resort, but the vital thing is to be near the ski school meeting place - which is not necessarily the same place as the office. You are presumably taking private lessons as your dates won't fit the usual ski school week? If you are fit and quite athletic and not afraid of falling over 8 hours of private lessons (which will be expensive.....) should get you comfortable to use lifts and tackle easy slopes - you'd have to persuade your husband only to take you to easy slopes, preferably those you've done with your instructor. Presumably you would be doing two sessions of two hours in the day, either side of lunch? A single four hour lesson would be exhausting and whilst taking time out with your instructor to sit with a drink would be pleasant, it won't improve your skiing.

Picking up rental equipment depends on timing - shops are usually open into the evening but that's early in the season. The ski school will advise.

If you really want to get a head start on skiing, get a few lessons in a snowdome or on a dry slope before you go.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nickywicky, Welcome to Snowheads, there is a specific Saalbach Hinterglem thread , the new one for this season has just started, https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161018#5008259.

I only know two Alpen Juwel by reputation and it's a good one, it's not that well located for lifts though good for the town.

Sorry it's brief and a bit rushed
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nickywicky, I'd tend to agree with @pam w about the four-hour thing. My experience of teaching adult beginners means I would normally recommend two hours, certainly no more than three, for the first couple of days at least. Even with a lunch break. The physical challenges should not be underestimated.

Of course there are exceptions; I've taught some people that can do a full day from a standing start, but usually they're keen athletes in some other discipline. I recall a couple of PE teachers, for example, and a niece of mine who's a very keen and active climber (now a firefighter, as it happens). Their familiarity with learning physical control is at least as important as their overall fitness. If this applies to you then go for it, of course.

Addendum: You can learn a lot in two hours of one-to-one, then spend however much of the rest of the day you can manage it in practice, practice practice. On your own or with your husband, but don't feel like you should be able to ski round the mountain with him straight away and try not to push your comfort zone - that's what we'll do in tomorrow's lesson once you've consolidated everything that we learnt today. Oh, and yes, artificial slope lessons before you go will more than pay for themselves in the long run.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 13-09-22 9:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're not an athlete, but are fit and with lots of energy there's plenty of information and guidance on the internet about exercises to prepare for skiing - including both stretching and strengthening your calf muscles which can get so stiff that stairs are really painful.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam_w Yup, I'll be taking private lessons as I can't bear the thought of peer pressure and me slowing down the rest of the group! You're also right about the 4 hour lessons being 2x 2 hour sessions - but @Chaletbeauroc has given fantastic advice about not doing that haha. So I'm now going for 2 days of 2 hour lessons and spending the rest of the time practising instead Madeye-Smiley

Unfortunately, I live in Singapore so there's no snowdome for me to get lessons before my trip Pinky

Another question: how easy would it be for me to meet up with my husband for lunch in terms of navigating ski lifts?

[this is also my first time using a forum and I can't seem to tag @ you guys in my replies like you have done so? Help!]
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nickywicky, Just click on the persons name in the left hand side column
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nickywicky, welcome to Snowheads!

The Glemmtal is a good choice for your first trip. You'll find that opinion on here is fairly evenly divided between Saalbach and Hinterglemm as bases, which basically says that either is fine.

1. Hinterglemm has a compact pedestrian area, and the lifts are fairly central and easily accessed via a short walk from wherever you are staying. The Alpin Juwel is a good hotel in a very central location - if you want to see the rest of the town, it's a good choice. It's not the best location for lift access, but it isn't terrible either. You can reach the slope down to the U-bahn with a walk of a minute or two along a flat road, or from the front of the hotel the Reiterkogel lift on the other side of the valley is about 4 minutes away. It's not ski-in/ski-out, but very few places in the Glemmtal are, and this one doesn't require a ski bus. From those two lifts, you have easy access to the whole valley

2a. Ski lift - the school meeting points are at the lifts, so you might visit the ski school building once, if at all. You're likely to be directed to Snow&Fun, who meet at the bottom of the learner area between the U-bahn and the Westgipfelbahn, which is easy to reach from your hotel. Classes also end there, so you can then take the U-bahn up and ski back to the end of the road to your hotel..

2b. Rentals - yes you should be able to pick up late in the day before your lessons to avoid a rush in the morning. Hiring from the ski school makes financial sense as they offer a package of kit, lessons and pass in one place rather than schlepping around three different locations, but if your husband wants to hire something as well then it may make more sense for him to go to Intersport Breitfuss about 50m from your hotel - from the front (lower) door, turn left and then right to get to the shop. Other options exist in the village, but Breitfuss is closest and the prices will be similar in most and the Breitfuss kit level is good.

3. Depends on your athletic ability and balance. If you want to progress out of ski school to ski together, the best approach is to get some lessons before you go, in a snow dome. That will get you over the initial slow bits of putting the kit on and learning to walk in ski boots for the first time, how to put on your skis, and how to get around with them on. If you can get to the point of being "main slope ready" before your trip, two days of lessons there should get you to the point where you can ski the top half of the Zwolferkogel, the U-bahn, and maybe half of the slopes on the other side of the valley. Without it, you may not make it off the nursery slopes in 2 days unless you are a quick and confident learner.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok, while I was drafting that I missed the detail that you're in Singapore...

Ignore the suggestion of dome lessons, as that's not possible. Go into it with an open mind and see what happens - you may progress quickly, but more likely you will be on the learner slope for most of the time, especially if you can only manage 2 hours per day of lessons. Time to practice is important, but maybe after you've learned the basics.

If the instructor thinks you are ready, you might make it onto Zwolferkogel, but it's unlikely. If you do, and then decide to spend time there with your husband, make sure that you follow the same route as the instructor took you on (staying right to avoid the worst of the slope), and DO NOT, under any circumstances, go beyond the mid station. On the left side that gets very steep and you won't be able to cope, while on the right side it gets moderately steep and narrow and more technically challenging as well as busier, and you probably also won't be able to cope.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nickywicky,

I would strongly recommend Saalbach rather than Hinterglemm. Saalbach has an excellent (one of the best anywhere) beginner area at Kohlmais right next to the village (any hotel on or close to the main street will be easy walking distance from it) with fun apres ski right there at Bauers, Spitzbub and Hinterhagalm.

I would recommend Fürstauer ski school. They also have a ‘nursery slope’ for beginners in the village next to the Schattberg lift base station. Pretty sure they have packages including rental.

Meeting your husband for lunch would be possible at a few places if you are fine taking a lift up and down again. Otherwise at Bauers or possibly Panorama Alm in the Kohlmais area should work. Just ask your instructor to arrange where/when/how to meet.

IME it’s pretty unlikely you will learn enough in two days of lessons to enjoyably ski with your husband on the third… That would be a recipe for frustration on both sides with neither of your needs being met. Regardless of how experienced he thinks he is, he almost certainly will not be able to pick slopes and lines that match your idea of suitable - and really most people need *at least* a week of lessons before they can comfortably ski even just the majority of blue runs in an area without fear. And honestly many people more like 2-3 weeks, if on a 1 week a year basis.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 13-09-22 10:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@albob, THANK YOU!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ousekjarr, thank you for the recommendations. Being in Singapore definitely makes it hard to learn skiing! I've also never been to a ski resort so planning this trip is kind of daunting, but I'm very much looking forward to it!

@clarky999, tbh I'm leaning towards Saalbach a bit more after reading up - many people have mentioned Kohlmais being very beginner friendly and I like the sound of that. Do you think it's worth doing 2 days of 3-hour lessons instead, or even 3 days x 3hours? I want to make the most of my time there so I'm happy to be in school for 3 consecutive mornings.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We definitely have a few other Sn'Eds in Singapore, so at least you're not alone.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nickywicky wrote:
Do you think it's worth doing 2 days of 3-hour lessons instead, or even 3 days x 3hours? I want to make the most of my time there so I'm happy to be in school for 3 consecutive mornings.

How fit are you? Do you do any other sports? At what level? Are you normally very coordinated/well-balanced?

There's a lot of factors, others as well as these, to be taken into consideration, plus the issue of not just getting as good as you can but enjoying yourself while you're doing so.

If you're not normally a gym bunny then you might think about joining one, work on leg and core strength as well as overall fitness. Two or three times a week if possible snowHead I'm not a fitness instructor, but squats and thrusts with a weight bar are a good start for the strength side, but there should be a trainer who can take you through these and advise on others.

Assuming you're reasonably fit and well-motivated, and that the beginners area offers a range of runs to progress on, three hours should be achievable, then a decent lunch and see how much more you can do in the afternoon. If the ski school is flexible enough, you might take an option on a third lesson, but maybe a couple of days free-skiing in between? Not knowing the area or your husband it's difficult to predict, but I would have thought that you'll be able to ski at least a few runs together. Remember to enjoy just being there!

Oh, and age-wise, don't think that you're starting too late to get good. I was 34 when I first skied as well and have taught people starting much later, with a pretty good success rate. One would hope the ski school will take it into account, but IME older starters react better to older instructors and some younger instructors aren't always tuned-in with an adult's way of thinking or learning; for private lessons you should be able to ask for a more experienced instructor.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm no expert on Saalbach. So this advice comes from a different angle and also experience of my early days on skis. Lovely as your husband no doubt is, your might want to be a little cautious about skiing with him somewhere you haven't been yet with your instructor, or that he hasn't yet skied, especially in a resort where neither of you are really familiar with the slopes and lift system. Bitter experience suggests that when people have a few weeks' skiing under their belt, they are tempted to overestimate the ability of their beginner spouse, partner or friend. The phrase "Come with me, you'll be alright" is more often than not a precursor to marital disharmony or the end of a beautiful friendship, as the beginner is taken to slopes that scare the bejesus out of them, or (the worst case scenario) someone misreads the map and you both end up at the top of a black run. Don't mean to seem over dramatic, but worth keeping in the back go your mind! Very Happy
latest report
@nickywicky, Kohlmais is indeed beginner friendly, and in December it has the advantage of being on the sunny side of the valley where the Hinterglemm slope is mainly in the shade, plus it has a heated chairlift to get you to the top of the (short) slope.

On the down side, you don't start on Kohlmais - instead the learner area is below Skiliftstrasse and I believe has a rope tow which is hard work for beginners. Once you graduate from that onto Kohlmais (maybe before the end of day 2), you're on a slope which is traversed by experienced skiers heading for Bernkogel or the main Kohlmais gondola, and they will be skiing around you at speed. In Hinterglemm, the beginner area is served by two button lifts (harder to master than a chairlift, less difficult than a rope tow) which aren't used by experienced skiers, and the learning area is typically only occupied by learners.

Either will be OK - people learn in both every year and go on to become accomplished skiers. The instructor will be used to teaching people to handle new skills and situations, and so the limiting factor will typically be you. Some birds learn to fly by jumping out of the nest and failing to hit the floor in a fatal way. Others spend weeks flapping around trying to get off the ground (or more typically water), and eventually manage it.
snow report
Having had 1 2 1 lessons from Snow and Fun previously (I'm an intermediate skier with ambitions of getting better) I would definitely recommend them if you decide to stay in Hinterglemm.

Can also recommend Hotel Gelemmatalhof in Hinterglemm. Stayed there in Janaury.

Also hugely recommend Saalbach-Hinterglemm - we are heading back in March for the third time in 4 years. Although I've not skied it as a complete beginner.
latest report
@nickywicky I would highly recommend saalbach and if available the Hotel Das Kholmais is lovely. Right opposite Kohlmais lift which you can go up to meet husband at the top for lunch at Montana Royal Alpin Club, no skiing required, not everyone’s cup of tea, but I love it. You are just over the road from the nursery slopes as already mentioned a great place to learn. There is a ski hire shop virtually next door to the hotel, the food in the hotel is very good and you are 30 seconds away from 3 of the best apres bars. Few mins walk to the town centre.
ski holidays
@Perty, I LOL-ed at your response because it can totally foresee an argument while getting frustrated at each other. I think he's now thinking of going for a refresher as it's been 10 years since he last skied.

@Chaletbeauroc, I used to work out a lot with weights but haven't done so in the last year due to medical reasons (nothing serious that will impact skiing). So I think realistically, I'll do 2x3hours and keep my options open for the third day. Who knows - I might end up hating skiing and prefer to spend the day at the wellness centre instead Laughing

@ribblevalleyblue, thank you for the recommendations - the restaurant looks gorgeous and is exactly what I had in mind for lunch! Hotel Das Kohlmais looks lovely too, I had not seen it on Booking.com for some reason but have now decided to stay there. But first I’ll have to select a ski school and see if the hotel is close enough to the meeting point.
ski holidays
@nickywicky, As you will see from my signature we have an apartment in Saalbach.
@ousekjarr, has given you a good outline as have others of the resort.

Private lessons, @yorksboy recommend Reini, His website is www.Penhab.at unfortunately the website is in German but google translated it. Reini speaks excellent English. Yorksboy has used him.

Mountain restaurants, if you like the sound of the Montana and want to take the lift to meet your husband then another excellent option is Genus12, at the mid station on the 12er Kogel, slightly different food nice music a similar vibe to the Montana. (They do Missi Ice cream, the Apple strudel flavour is amazing)

Wieseralm, top of the reiterkogelbhann, you can walk over to it, excellent food

Xandal stadl, you can walk up to it from Hinterglemm , also an excellent option for the evening

Luis Alm, modern Austrian at the top of the Bernkogelbahn.

Accommodation, you could look at the Eva hotel it’s centrally located, has a bar at the EvaAlm which isn’t as much as Austrian apre as other places and there is the Hotel Post a bit further down which also has an excellent outdoor bar simila. With the Eva it’s a short walk to the lift(elevator) to the slopes at the Kholmais, you go through the car park.

Down form the Kholmais hotel, you have three bars, Burgi’s small and lively, Bauer’s classic Austrian apre, then the Spitzbub small lively but with a different feel to both the others.

Lots of good accommodation options in Saalbach - Hinterglem.

Sorry another hotel option is the Saalbacher Hof.
snow report
Always liked the Dorfschmiede myself, Now called Gluksschmiede I think. Really good location, for Apres outside, easy walk to lifts, and ski school meeting place, excellent food, handy for Goasstall https://www.goasstall.com/datenschutzerklaerung, or indeed many close by Apres sites are within staggering distance. To be fair Austria doesn't do bad apres anywhere.
ski holidays
@nickywicky, if you need a transfer from Salzburg airport we used https://www.austriatransfer.com/en and found them to be good.
latest report
@nickywicky, I live in Saalbach, next door to the Hotel Kohlmais. That hotel and others are so handy for the slopes (including the nursery slopes and ski-school meeting area) that you might as well say they’re ski-in ski-out. Certainly any walking in ski boots is minimal - the width of a road.

Both Saalbach and Hinterglemm are suitable for beginners, but Saalbach is better. It has a short, heated chair lift to the top of the nursery slopes (Hinterglemm has a T-bar drag lift), its nursery slopes are south-facing, and it has an absolutely ideal sizeable area to progress on to after your first couple of hours. I refer to the upper half of the Bernkogel mountain, which is essentially a plateau with a very gentle gradient. The lower half of that mountain is more challenging (but still graded a blue run), but you don’t need to tackle it until you feel ready, as it’s served by a fast, modern gondola. At the top of the gondola (halfway up the mountain), there are two good restaurants, which would make the perfect meeting place for you to meet with your o/h for lunch or to descend together on the gondola at the end of the afternoon.

At the bottom of that gondola (which is central to the village, as are the Kohlmaisbahn and Schattberg Xpress gondolas) is the Soul House, which last season was indisputably the best après-ski venue in Saalbach. The live entertainment and atmosphere there was the best I’ve seen in twenty or so years of après-skiing in Saalbach-Hinterglemm (and I include in that the likes of the Hinterhag Alm and Goassstall!)

It’s also worth bearing in mind that the Bernkogel nursery area, being relatively high up, offers great views and good snow (which can be important if the lower slopes are a bit lacking ir hard and icy). The higher slopes at Hinterglemm (e.g. the upper part of the Zwölferkogel) are much steeper and more challenging than the Bernkogel.

I have prepared a comprehensive, 20 page guide to the resort, which I’ll gladly send you if you send me a personal message with your email address (just click on my name and on “p.m.”).

I can advise on the best hotels, or if you prefer pensions or self-catering apartments. There is a network of British apartment owners in Saalbach, many of whom let their accommodation, and we’re all connected in a Facebook Messenger group.

I am also friendly with a number of British and/or English-speaking ski instructors, to whom I can introduce you. Last season one of them had some first-timers doing carved turns and later black runs after only a couple of half days of lessons.

You may find that group lessons are not on offer before Christmas, so private lessons are the way to go.

For your equipment, I can recommend you to go to Hansi (“Hansi’s Best-Price Ski Rental Shop”), which is at the bottom of the main village street, next door but one to Bobby’s Pub (which incidentally serves an excellent and reasonably-price menu of pub grub). Hansi speaks fluent English and will look after you very well. His equipment is excellent and it’s his own business, so he knows his stuff. He won’t charge you for the first day if you go in the day before you actually start skiing. He will also offer you a complimentary schnapps or Prosecco from the bar in his shop. And he will give you a special extra discount if you tell him I recommended you to go to him.

Hansi can normally offer packages to include ski-school group lessons (with Furstauer, the biggest ski-school, and equipment), at the same price as you would pay if you went straight to the ski school office. However, as mentioned above, it’s unlikely that group lessons will be available before Christmas.
latest report
@radar, thanks for the restaurants and bars! Have saved them on my Google maps. We're driving in from Munich so no need for transfers.

@tatmanstours, thank you for the detailed recommendations, they are much appreciated! I've also sent you a PM for the guide Smile

I've been in contact with Easyski and Furstauer, with the latter being more prompt on replies and so decided to give them my business. They're also slightly cheaper than Easyski and have been recommended here many times. The meeting point is their office at the main square, which is 400m from Hotel Kohlmais - as I said I've never skied nor been to a ski resort, is this distance too far to walk in ski boots? I'm assuming I'll have to get geared up prior to getting on the lift?

It's interesting you mention Bernkogel, because that's where I'll be taking lessons. My husband is likely to join me on day 1 to get his ski legs back, as it's been 10 years since he last skied. Are the 2 restaurants you mentioned Luis Alm and Westernstadl?

Regarding equipment, would it be easier to just them through the ski school, or should I go to Hansi?
ski holidays
@nickywicky, your welcome if you need evening meal recommendations let me know,@tatmanstours, is the reason we discovered Saalbach Very Happy.
As your meeting point is the main square your hotel option could be the Post or the Saalbacher Hof, both on the main square, it’s not an easy walk from the Kholmais to the town centre.

https://www.vayaresorts.com/en/hotel/vaya-post-saalbach/
https://www.saalbacherhof.at/en/hotel.html

We have eaten at both on more than one occasion and not been disappointed, we haven’t stayed though Very Happy

The Louis Alm is on the Bernkogel and you would ski down to it from the learner slope. (Then take the cable car down), The Westernstadl is on the lower part of the same slope and as Tatmanstours has said a more challenging blue, it’s over to the right as you go down and is a very nice stopping point.
ski holidays
You've had all the best advice.

I'd stick to 2x2 hr lessons each day or at least on the first day. You don't want to fall apart in the pm on your own and you'll undoubtably end up in places you don't want to if you are with your husband ( not malicious - he just won't know exactly how you feel).

If you make really good progress in 2 days then maybe consider a " fun" day but still a lesson that day will probably give you more sense of accomplishment and less chance of undoing the good work.

Be mentally prepared for 2 steps forward, oone backward progression.
snow report
@nickywicky, I would speak to Hansi and explain your situation. As you’re not having a package of group lessons, I think your best option is to get kitted up at Hansi’s shop the day before. I can’t see any benefit in doing it through the ski school. Hansi will match any other price quote anyway. This is his website and contact information:
http://www.hansis-skiverleih.at/Hansis-Skiverleih-Saalbach-Home_lang,en,pid,47308,type,firmeninfo.html

The two restaurants at the mid-mountain point on the Bernkogel (at the bottom of the nursery area, where a chair lift takes you back up) are the Bärnalm and the Luisalm. Very different in character, so you can choose. The Westernstadl is excellent but located beside the piste that goes down the lower half of the Bernkogel - leave that until you feel confident enough. You will be able to assess the piste and also see where the Westernstadl is located as you go up in the gondola. Last season the Westernstadl was closed, apparently due to some kind of family dispute (at least that’s what I heard), but I shall be surprised if it remains closed this season - but who knows?

Regarding lessons, you could arrange to meet your instructor anywhere, including at the Bernkogel lift. I can’t see why it needs to be outside the Furstauer office. Besides, the village is very compact - nowhere is too far to walk (provided that your accommodation is not somewhere outside the village).

The Hotel Kohlmais is very well located on Schiliftstrasse (Ski Lift Street), directly opposite the main village centre nursery slopes (the Turmwiese), and the main Kohlmaisbahn gondola station (as indeed so am I). It’s also literally a stone’s throw from the après-ski bars that have been mentioned: Bauer’s Schialm, Burgi’s Bar, nd and the Spitzbub. All three are about 100 meters down the road from the hotel. The village centre is another stone’s throw beyond them. What radar is probably thinking is that the road slopes down (or up, in the direction) to get from the area where the aforementioned bars are situated to the village centre. But it’s a tarmacked slope with underground heating (to keep it free of snow and ice), and the steeper section is only about 50 meters long and has a hand rail alongside it.

The other hotels mentioned by radar are right in the village centre, but are more likely to be affected by late night merriment (though probably not before Christmas). Also you would still need to walk uphill from both of them to get to the Kohlmaisbahn and the Bernkogelbahn lift stations (and the aforementioned slope by the church would have to be walked up to get to the Turmwiese (Kohlmais nursery area) and the après-ski bars).

Perhaps I’m biased (though I don’t think so), but I strongly feel that, on balance, it’s preferable to be staying on Schiliftstrasse (i.e. at the upper end of the slope by the church, rather than down in the village centre. I think that every time I see people walking up that slope in ski boots.

From Schiliftstrasse (which as mentioned borders the main nursery slopes), it’s more of a level walk to the Bernkogel lift. You can cut across the nursery area in either direction, and there are lifts that take you from the piste (Turmwiese) down to street level right opposite the Bernkogelbahn. So you don’t need to walk down the slope by the church. Even if you do on the first morning, to get down to Furstauer’s office, you won’t need to walk uphill to get back from the Bernkogelbahn to the Hotel Kohlmais after your lesson.

There is a tiny beginners’ area (the size of a back garden) in the village centre, which Furstauer uses for young children. I doubt if they’ll take you there, but even if they do it will probably be only for your first lesson.

Regarding ski instructors, I have an English friend who works for Furstauer; he’s very experienced. Also my friend (in fact everybody’s friend), David Spacey, is an extremely good instructor. I referred a few people to him last season and they were well pleased. (He’s a Geordie singer/guitarist/entertainer, so you may well end up singing too. Things will be quiet before Christmas, so he may well appreciate some ski instructing work at that time).
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
Regarding lessons, you could arrange to meet your instructor anywhere, including at the Bernkogel lift. I can’t see why it needs to be outside the Furstauer office. Besides, the village is very compact - nowhere is too far to walk (provided that your accommodation is not somewhere outside the village).

@tatmanstours You are right, they have offered the option to meet at the Bernkogel lift - but this is also 400m away from Hotel Das Kohlmais according to Google Maps. But if it's a level walk like you said, that shouldn't be a problem, although I've never worn ski boots before so am a little nervous.

tatmanstours wrote:
From Schiliftstrasse (which as mentioned borders the main nursery slopes), it’s more of a level walk to the Bernkogel lift. You can cut across the nursery area in either direction, and there are lifts that take you from the piste (Turmwiese) down to street level right opposite the Bernkogelbahn. So you don’t need to walk down the slope by the church. Even if you do on the first morning, to get down to Furstauer’s office, you won’t need to walk uphill to get back from the Bernkogelbahn to the Hotel Kohlmais after your lesson.

Sorry, I'm a little confused with this. Which nursery area are you referring to, and where is Turmwiese?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@radar, yes please, some dinner recommendations would be appreciated, thank you. I do like the look of Vaya Post but they seem to have mixed reviews. Whereas Hotel Kohlmais checks all our boxes and has rave reviews, just trying to figure out now if walking to Bernkogel lift on boots would be too far/challenging for a first timer?

@Dave of the Marmottes, Indeed, everyone has been incredibly helpful! Very Happy We are now considering adding another day, which leaves an option for me to do 3 daysx3hour (or 2hour) classes.
snow report
nickywicky wrote:
But if it's a level walk like you said, that shouldn't be a problem, although I've never worn ski boots before so am a little nervous.

Your husband will be able to help you get them on, then to make walking easier just leave the clips on their loosest possible setting. Some boots also have a walk mode which disengages the ankle allowing a greater degree of movement.

Do make sure you point this out to your instructor and get them to help adjust them properly for you. (They will almost certainly check anyway, but just in case they forget).
ski holidays
The Turmwiese (Tower Meadow) is what they call the main expanse of nursery slopes in Saalbach village centre. (There is a smaller slope, served by a Babylift or rope tow, called the Kreuzkapelle nursery area - that is less used. Here’s a link to it, and the first photo shows the Hotel Kohlmais, and my apartment building next to it, on the right-hand side).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kreuzkapelle+saalbach&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:rln,rc_ludocids:1206367329622739038,ru_gwp:0%252C7,ru_lqi:ChVrcmV1emthcGVsbGUgc2FhbGJhY2hIhq7Zoo6vgIAIWiEQABgAGAEiFWtyZXV6a2FwZWxsZSBzYWFsYmFjaDICZGWSARJtb3VudGFpbl9jYWJsZV9jYXKqARQQASoQIgxrcmV1emthcGVsbGUoBQ,trex_id:Tu8nOd&lpg=cid:CgIgAQ%3D%3D

The Turmwiese is roughly rectangular in shape. Running along its bottom end is Schiliftstrasse (Ski Lift Street), on which the Hotel Kohlmais and the aforementioned après-ski bars are located. Along its left-hand side you have two sets of lifts that take you down to the village centre, which is about 40-50 feet below the Turmwiese. There is also a staircase to take you down, or you can walk down the road.

It would be clear if you could see an aerial view - and my cover photo on my Facebook profile (“Richard Saalbach Tatman”) actually is an aerial view of the village, taken from black piste number 1 on the Schattberg mountain. Have a look, or send a friend request - it’s a public profile.

To get between Schiliftstrasse and the Bernkogelbahn the quickest and most direct route is to cut across the Turmwiese and take the lift down to street level. There is no appreciable uphill (or downhill) walking involved.

You can also take a slightly longer route along the road and up the main village street (Dorfstrasse). That’s not a big deal. Saalbach is a small village.

It’s really not much further to get from Hotel Kohlmais to the Bernkogelbahn than from the hotels in the centre of the village (Saalbacherhof and Post, and also Bergers’ Sporthotel, the Alpinresort, and the Alpenhotel, and others), and from them it’s an uphill walk up the Dorfstrasse).

It’s generally a good idea to choose accommodation in an elevated location (to minimise uphill slogs to the lifts). Also being handy for both the Kohlmaisbahn and the Bernkogelbahn is a good idea. Hotels that fulfil those criteria are the Hotel Eva Village, Hotel Neuhaus, Hotel Bauer, Hotel Mitterer, Hotel Peter, and Hotel Kristiana. I would have included the perfectly located Hotel Panther, but some friends last season were shocked at the poor quality of the food.

On which subject, ribblevalleyblue has previously enthused about the quality of the food at Hotel Kohlmais.

Obviously self-catering and using the various village-centre restaurants is some people’s preference.
ski holidays
@nickywicky, this link should help you:
https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/stories/top-10-pistes-for-beginners-in-saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang-fieberbrunn_m_360043

The Hotel Kohlmais is certainly not too far to walk from the Bernkogelbahn. In fact, once you’re able to ski a little bit, you would be able to hop onto the Turm chair lift, which is very short and deposits you at the top of the Turmwiese nursery area. You can ski down a couple of hundred meters to the lifts (elevators) that take you down to an alley way, from which it’s a level 100 meter walk to the Bernkogelbahn - basically just traversing the village street.

Incidentally my neighbours at Hotel Kohlmais have spent a shedload of time and money this summer and last summer, remodelling and extending the hotel. I now look down from my living room window and sun terrace on their newly extended swimming pool, which now covers much of what used to be their lawn. And the views from their hotel across the valley are fantastic (unlike all or most of the other hotels that have been mentioned).
snow conditions
@nickywicky, Hi, the Post changed owners around 2019, so look at the more recent results, we had a pleasant meal there in the summer as well as evening drinks on a couple of occasions as well as a delicious lunch in January, though we haven’t stayed there.

Another option is the Eva we stayed there in 2016, they have some nice modern rooms and the Eva alm next door for apre. The Neuhaus across the road is also an option.

The direct walk from the Kholmais to the central square can be tricky, there is a small steep bit (which is heated ), you can avoid this by walking a slightly longer way(if you are meeting at the Bernkogel lift station this would be the route) or walking across the piste, as you are new to the addiction called skiing you could perhaps do this after day one. I’m assuming that all your lessons will be on the Bernkogel and that after meeting in the ski school offices on day one, you will subsequently either meet at the lift station or on the slope.

With the Eva and Neuhaus your husband could easily get to the Kholmais lift using the public lift (elevator) the same one you would use if coming from the Kholmais. I can totally understand your accommodation dilemma.

Restaurants
Upscale,
Herzlstubn at the Kendler, , my wife says it verging on the poncy, though we eat there twice last season, https://www.kendler.at/de/hotel-saalbach-hinterglemm/gourmetrestaurant-herzlstubn/ , you can also stay here Very Happy

Xandl-Stad, this is in Hinterglem, might involve a cab there and back, this is a favourite lunch stop, however it’s now a dinner one too, https://www.restaurant-hinterglemm.at/en/hinterglemm-restaurant , their Venison steak was superb, they are cash only but have a cash point on the terrace.

Tiroler Baum, we make a point of eating here at least once in the winter and summer, you can go gourmet or have a wood fired pizza or a simple schnitzel , it’s out of town, we take the last bus from Saalbach gets us there for 7.30 and then they sort a cab back around €15.00.

https://www.tirolerbuam.at/en/restaurant/

Genus12, at the mid station on the 12er Kogel, not sure if they are doing it this season, you take the last lift up at 16.15 and have an early dinner and then they take you down the mountain around 8pm, we have had lunch there a few times and were keen to this last winter but the chef went down with covid! https://www.genusshoch12.com/

Every day
Del Rossi in Saalbach, solid food in interesting surroundings , a regular eating place for us summer and winter, you can only book upto 6.45pm

Schattberg Stube, busy buzzing good solid food, steak, schnitzel eetc

Eva Alm, their Eva burger is a perennial must for me and their veggie one for Mrs R, the normal burger isn’t mega , it’s the bread I think makes it different, they also do the Austrian classics

Maisalm, new this season, totaly refurbished and now does dinner it would be a cab there and back, it’s also a lunch/coffee stop they have toilets downstairs but there’s a lift to them. https://www.facebook.com/maisalmsaalbach/ . We haven’t been for dinner.

Soul House, haven’t eaten there in a while their ribs are smoke on site and are delicious, check for recent reviews

Not sure where to place this one, the Spielberghaus, you take a Piste basher up and toboggan down, have some cash to pay for the journey up.( we did come down on the piste basher) https://www.spielberghaus.at/en

Hope that helps

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 15-09-22 22:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@nickywicky, Missed one in the every day category , the Wirtshaus at the Saalbacher Hof, traditional nice vibe inside
https://www.saalbacherhof.at/en/restaurants/wirtshaus.html
latest report
@radar, you missed out Bobby’s Pub! wink
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, I’ve never eaten there Very Happy , only had a drink with you Very Happy. I do miss the Hungry Deer Sad
latest report
@radar, it may not be haute cuisine (à la Tiroler Buam), but it’s surprisingly good, and of course cheap and cheerful. The pizzas are renowned. The plat du jour is often worth a shout. I used to love the spare ribs on Wednesdays, but they weren’t doing them last winter.
ski holidays
As long as you are not a first-time drinker - you should be OK !
snow conditions
@radar, thanks for the resto recommendations. We've finally booked with Hotel Kohlmais, and will do ski lessons with Furstauer.

Quick question on goggles - should I get a cheapie one before arriving or wait till I get to Saalbach? Will I be able to get budget goggles there?
latest report
@nickywicky, with goggles they need to fit with your helmet, you can easily get a pair in Saalbach, there is a shop near the Kohlmais, Brundl, if the ski school are providing the helmet (not sure if they do) then there is a our favourite shop next door Sport Hagleitner, there is also Ski Pro just before you get to Furstauer which might be a cheaper option, also were you rent your gear from should be able to sell you some, plenty of choices
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy